• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) September 2008 NPD Predictions - Closes October 10 @ 8 pm

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
I'm laughing because your 360 numbers are too low! /sarcasm

Nah I'm just returning the favour you gave to the people you laughed at, considering their predictions hold as much weight as yours.

Regarding my numbers? I gave up on pulling numbers out of my ass since I suck at it. Unlike someone.

Edit: Why don't you laugh at this prediction instead?

Oh right because it favors the 360 correct?

1. Not really. Any prediction that states PS3 > 360 or within 10k for September shows a complete lack of common sense. That holds NO water at all.

2. At least he has the order right, even if he is being overly optimistic on the 360.

3. If you aren't going to contribute, then why contibute at all. My comments were not directed towards you in the first place. What, are you stalking my posts?

jimbo

Banned
Damn I just now noticed last month's results. Not too shabby for my first try.

August 2008 NPD Predictions

Unit Results

1. doicare - 129,000
2. kottila - 140,600
3. Plinko - 144,200
4. BladedExpert - 154,600
5. brigadeer - 160,200
6. Jesse2040 - 162,600
7. djtiesto - 166,000
8. Minsc - 167,400
9. jimbo - 167,600
10. JoshuaJSlone - 173,600
45. Pachter - 232,000

:lol @ Pachter being worse than half of our "amatures".

The top 20 guys should get together, average out our predictions, submitt them to Webush Morgan and charge them Pachter's salary for it. They don't even have to provide us with benefits and health insurance. We'll just do a 1099 at the end of the year as outside contractors. They'll save money AND have better numbers.

jimbo said:
1. Not really. Any prediction that states PS3 > 360 or within 10k for September shows a complete lack of common sense. That holds NO water at all.

2. At least he has the order right, even if he is being overly optimistic on the 360.

3. If you aren't going to contribute, then why contibute at all. My comments were not directed towards you in the first place. What, are you stalking my posts?
Yeah enough derailing, let's just wait till NPD day before you start laughing at people ok?

Cartman86

Banned
Does anyone think the Socom beta has done anything for the PS3? The Socom community is huge and a ton of them are not hardcore gamers. About 80% of the people I know who got into the beta had to buy a PS3 to do it.

jimbo

Banned
Cartman86 said:
Does anyone think the Socom beta has done anything for the PS3? The Socom community is huge and a ton of them are not hardcore gamers. About 80% of the people I know who got into the beta had to buy a PS3 to do it.

Game release maybe. Game beta- it's highly unlikely to have a significant impact.

donny2112

[NDS] 640K
[WII] 560K
[360] 415K
[PSP] 260K
[PS3] 210K
[PS2] 155K

jimbo said:
The top 20 guys should get together, average out our predictions, submitt them to Webush Morgan and charge them Pachter's salary for it.

That's not what Pachter is paid to do.

As for unreasonable predictions, they occur every month. No reason to get worked up about them here. After all, there have been a number of months where the "reasonable" predictions were totally wacko compared to the real values (e.g. GTAIV month, Feb-07).

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Most predictions for 360 numbers are way too optimistic. Just because sales were double the first weekend at some stores after price drop doesn't mean they stayed at that level.
Not even close.

donny2112

Gadfly said:
Most predictions for 360 numbers are way too optimistic. Just because sales were double the first weekend at some stores after price drop doesn't mean they stayed at that level.
Not even close.

You do realize that zero growth 360 sales would give 244K for the month, right?

apujanata

[NDS] 630k
[WII] 600k
[360] 365k
[PSP] 280k
[PS3] 205k
[PS2] 160k

donny2112 said:
As for unreasonable predictions, they occur every month. No reason to get worked up about them here. After all, there have been a number of months where the "reasonable" predictions were totally wacko compared to the real values (e.g. GTAIV month, Feb-07).
And "unreasonable" predictions end up as "closest to the fact" prediction.

Jimbo,
You shouldn't laugh at "unreasonable" prediction, since that mean people will be reluctant to enter their prediction. Try to keep an open mind, and close mouth (or no laughing at people's post).

Gadfly said:
Not even close.
Funny you should say that... in the UK the sales increased 32% on the weekend after the price cut, then 214% for a two week comparison period.

When the prices get down to these levels you're not dealing with hardcore gamers foaming at the mouth to pick them up, you're into casual land where price cut info takes time to propagate and people wait to get paid etc.

Psychotext said:
Funny you should say that... in the UK the sales increased 32% on the weekend after the price cut, then 214% for a two week comparison period.

When the prices get down to these levels you're not dealing with hardcore gamers foaming at the mouth to pick them up, you're into casual land where price cut info takes time to propagate and people wait to get paid etc.

To be honest, the Wii (priced at $250), is in 'casual land'...and that price was very close to the 279 pricepoint of the Arcade previously, and it didn't take off.

The price cuts will help, but the question is how much..the arcades may be selling better, but people still look at it as a gimped system, and that they have to buy extra accessories (which cost quite a lot), before they purchase it. Instead of buying the premiums or elites, buyers may now be picking up the arcades with accessories to get a slightly better deal.

While the pricepoint is in casual land (I'd argue it was close to being in casual land pricing before), the audience that is attracted to the 360 is not (yet). I just don't see the 360 exceeding 400k without a major piece of software being released and approaching Wii-like sales.

Private Hoffman said:
The price cuts will help, but the question is how much..the arcades may be selling better, but people still look at it as a gimped system, and that they have to buy extra accessories (which cost quite a lot), before they purchase it. Instead of buying the premiums or elites, buyers may now be picking up the arcades with accessories to get a slightly better deal.

While the pricepoint is in casual land (I'd argue it was close to being in casual land pricing before), the audience that is attracted to the 360 is not (yet).
You're assuming that the average casual gamer (and I'm not talking about the neuvo Wii style casual gamer, I'm talking about the Madden / Fifa / PES / NFS style casual gamer) has a clue about such things... or even cares. We know that the arcade / core didn't appeal to the hardcore gamer but I think it's fairly clear with the increased sales rate of the low end model now that it's appealing to a demographic that is either uninformed or doesn't care about such things (it never worried them with the PS2 last gen).

The audience appeal thing is another argument entirely... and enters the new casual vs old casual arena again.

[360] 480K
[NDS] 540K
[PS2] 140K
[PS3] 240K
[PSP] 260K
[WII] 460K

First time I'm trying this, let's see what happens. :lol

jimbo

Banned
donny2112 said:
You do realize that zero growth 360 sales would give 244K for the month, right?

Exactly. Double would be 488k. Now if it follows short lived spikes, a reasonable post price drop trend could look something like this OVER last month's numbers.

1st week - 100 - 150% (since I'm sure it was over double but under triple for them to make that statement).
2nd week - 75% - 100%
3rd week - 50% - 75%
4th week - 30% - 50%
5th week - 30% - 50%

Or an average of betwen 57% and 85% increase for the 5 week period. I just went with 75% over the entire month.

Of course it could also blow it out of the water or increase over time before it tapers off too.

But either way I don't expect anything lower than 57% increase, which on 244k, would be 383k. That should be the low end. Anything lower than that would be a major dissapointment for the first month of a $100 price drop.

jimbo said:
Exactly. Double would be 488k. Now if it follows short lived spikes, a reasonable post price drop trend could look something like this OVER last month's numbers.

1st week - 100 - 150% (since I'm sure it was over double but under triple for them to make that statement).
2nd week - 75% - 100%
3rd week - 50% - 75%
4th week - 30% - 50%
5th week - 30% - 50%

Or an average of betwen 57% and 85% increase for the 5 week period. I just went with 75% over the entire month.

Of course it could also blow it out of the water or increase over time before it tapers off too.

But either way I don't expect anything lower than 57% increase, which on 244k, would be 383k. That should be the low end. Anything lower than that would be a major dissapointment for the first month of a $100 price drop.

Prepare to be pretty disappointed, IMHO.

I think your expectations are too high.

jimbo

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Prepare to be pretty disappointed, IMHO.

I think your expectations are too high.

Maybe, we'll see. Either way they are in line and this is what any "healthy" console should do.

But I will point out something. People said the same about the 360 in Japan, ToV vs price drop week. Price drop week(28k) beat ToV week(24k). In the US, Halo 3 increased sales by 90%(277k to 528k). MGS4 also increased PS3 sales dramatically by 94%(209k to 406k).

Granted the 360 didn't have a shortage previously and no big game release like IU in Japan, but I am of the opinion that a $100 price drop does more than a big game release for sales of a WELL ESTABLISHED console. So 75% is actually below what both Halo 3 and MGS4 did. And if GOW2 came out at the same time as the price drop I'd feel very comfortable predicting over 600k.

To be honest with you, the only thing I may be over-estimating is the WII. It has been on a constant decline since MARCH. I may lower that number before the thread closes. So has the PS3 actually for the past couple of months. I may make a small adjustment to that as well.

Brashnir

I don't normally participate in these, but what the hell.

[360] 395K
[NDS] 497K
[PS2] 125K
[PS3] 235K
[PSP] 260K
[WII] 512K

jimbo said:
Maybe, we'll see. Either way they are in line and this is what any "healthy" console should do.

But I will point out something. People said the same about the 360 in Japan, ToV vs price drop week. Price drop week(28k) beat ToV week(24k). In the US, Halo 3 increased sales by 90%(277k to 528k). MGS4 also increased PS3 sales dramatically by 94%(209k to 406k).

Granted the 360 didn't have a shortage previously and no big game release like IU in Japan, but I am of the opinion that a $100 price drop does more than a big game release for sales of a WELL ESTABLISHED console. So 75% is actually below what both Halo 3 and MGS4 did. And if GOW2 came out at the same time as the price drop I'd feel very comfortable predicting over 600k.

PS3 being pushed to 400k was the return of BC, a new bundle, and MGS4.

I'm of the opinion that a $100 price drop of the least desired Xbox SKU does less than a killer app title like MGS4 or Halo 3 releasing (strictly looking at the short term). Especially when a price drop of the most desired SKU hardly had any affect whatsoever.

I think this price drop may have more of an affect in October and November than it does in September, but it's going to be hard to gauge just how much due to:

(1) Whether MS can keep the supply up with the demand.

(2) Whether the increases are in line with traditional Holiday bumps, or if its more signifiant than that (in other words, if MS can increase YoY sales during the Holiday period)

I actually believe the more interesting thing to look at regarding the price cuts is what it will do for the Xbox 360 starting in early 2009.

donny2112

jimbo said:
In the US, Halo 3 increased sales by 90%(277k to 528k). MGS4 also increased PS3 sales dramatically by 94%(209k to 406k).

Halo 3 and MGS4 were both in five week months compared to the previous month being four weeks. Therefore, you can't directly compare the monthly totals. That's why I tend to work in the weekly average space to allow more consistent comparisons.

Halo 3 Bump:
Aug-07 - 69K / week
Sep-07 - 106k / week (+54%)

MGS4 Bump:
May-08 - 52K / week
Jun-08 - 81K / week (+56%)

As a more relevant comparison, here's the $50 price drop for last year for the 360.

~$50 price drop Bump:
Jul-07 - 43K / week
Aug-07 - 69K / week (+60%)

jimbo

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
PS3 being pushed to 400k was the return of BC, a new bundle, and MGS4.

I'm of the opinion that a $100 price drop of the least desired Xbox SKU does less than a killer app title like MGS4 or Halo 3 releasing (strictly looking at the short term). Especially when a price drop of the most desired SKU hardly had any affect whatsoever.

I think this price drop may have more of an affect in October and November than it does in September, but it's going to be hard to gauge just how much due to:

(1) Whether MS can keep the supply up with the demand.

(2) Whether the increases are in line with traditional Holiday bumps, or if its more signifiant than that (in other words, if MS can increase YoY sales during the Holiday period)

I actually believe the more interesting thing to look at regarding the price cuts is what it will do for the Xbox 360 starting in early 2009.

Let's be clear about something. It's had a price drop across the board and I am betting on the Premium at $299 still being the lead SKU in sales. Not the Arcade.

But that's fine, I respect your opinion.

I don't however agree to using the $50 price drop of the premium for your analysis as hard historic evidence. It's been said before but I will repeat it. It was a clearance sale, it was one of the SKUs, MS themselves didn't consider it a price drop, the new 60GB was introduced at the same time, it wasn't advertised and it wasn't $299.

Apples and oranges.

jimbo

Banned
donny2112 said:
Halo 3 and MGS4 were both in five week months compared to the previous month being four weeks. Therefore, you can't directly compare the monthly totals. That's why I tend to work in the weekly average space to allow more consistent comparisons.

Halo 3 Bump:
Aug-07 - 69K / week
Sep-07 - 106k / week (+54%)

MGS4 Bump:
May-08 - 52K / week
Jun-08 - 81K / week (+56%)

As a more relevant comparison, here's the $50 price drop for last year for the 360.

~$50 price drop Bump:
Jul-07 - 43K / week
Aug-07 - 69K / week (+60%)

I was wondering about it weekly too right after I posted that but I didn't have the weekly break down for those time periods. Thanks for going into the details and doing the grunt work donny ;).

Either way, the bolded part pretty much states what I am believing in cold hard numbers, and that was a $50 price drop. We are talking $100.

Price drop > game release.

According to history.

jimbo

Banned
Hey donny was the price drop 07 also a 5 week month?

If so I think I am begining to see a trend of WHEN publishers like to release big games and price drops...Makes for nice headlines.:D Sneaky. NPD owns them.

jimbo said:

If so I think I am begining to see a trend of WHEN publishers like to release big games and price drops...Makes for nice headlines.:D Sneaky. NPD owns them.

4 weeks.

Gadfly

jimbo said:
[/B]

I was wondering about it weekly too right after I posted that but I didn't have the weekly break down for those time periods. Thanks for going into the details and doing the grunt work donny ;).

Either way, the bolded part pretty much states what I am believing in cold hard numbers, and that was a $50 price drop. We are talking $100.

Price drop > game release.

According to history.
There are a few factors working against price drop having a significant effect:

1) Economy. Everybody I know of is careful what they're spending money on these days.
2) September is one of the slowest months.
3) An argument can be made that without a change in perception/new games, 360 user base in US is not going to grow that much higher. If you already have a 360, it doesn't matter if the price has dropped $50 or $100.

BTW, just in case you are wondering, I have a vested interest to see 360 does better. But I also want to be realistic.

Gadfly

jimbo said:

Not all the increase in 360 sales in Aug 07 can be attributed to price drop. Many people got it because of Halo 3.

donny2112

Gadfly said:
Not all the increase in 360 sales in Aug 07 can be attributed to price drop. Many people got it because of Halo 3.

A month away? Yeah, there would be some who bought a 360 in August 2007 for Halo 3's launch on September 25 just like there were surely some people who bought a 360 in August 2007 for GTAIV's eventual release. I wouldn't expect it to have had a significant impact on total sales for that month, though.

jimbo

Banned
Gadfly said:
There are a few factors working against price drop having a significant effect:

1) Economy. Everybody I know of is careful what they're spending money on these days.
2) September is one of the slowest months.
3) An argument can be made that without a change in perception/new games, 360 user base in US is not going to grow that much higher. If you already have a 360, it doesn't matter if the price has dropped $50 or $100.

BTW, just in case you are wondering, I have a vested interest to see 360 does better. But I also want to be realistic.

1. Please. The economy has sucked for like the past 5 years and it hasn't stopped the videogame industry from posting record sales and growing. In fact CHEAPER price helps that argument. It's been selling at its previous price point just fine....so wouldnt a cheaper console sell better in a tight economy?
2. I agree, which is why I may lower the other systems.
3. The 360 already has a good image/perception in the US. It doesn't need a change. But I take it your are talking about casual/non-gamers. Points to PS2, which is STILL selling. Those guys are still out there, buying traditional consoles, and traditional games. That user base hasn't gone anywhere. The Wii just brought some new people on board, it didn't transfom gamers into non-gamers. Well maybe a few diehard Nintendo fanboys that never buy a non-Nintendo console, but not everyone else.

Gadfly said:

How many times has the line of thinking that people buy consoles for games ahead of their release been proven wrong. I lost track.

Maybe a week at the most.

Rpgmonkey

I don't even pay much attention to NPD threads, so I hardly know how these sales work. But I'm bored, so what the hell:

[360] 330K
[NDS] 500K
[PS2] 130K
[PS3] 240K
[PSP] 260K
[WII] 490K

jimbo said:
How many times has the line of thinking that people buy consoles for games ahead of their release been proven wrong. I lost track.

Maybe a week at the most.
Haven't we learnt anything from GTAIV? The holy grail of HD systems moving no systems on launch. People do infact buy systems before game releases, not the other way around.

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Haven't we learnt anything from GTAIV? The holy grail of HD systems moving no systems on launch. People do infact buy systems before game releases, not the other way around.

What? So the fact that GTA4 didn't move a lot of system is proof that people bought it ahead of time?

Both Halo 3 and MGS4 and many, many, many other huge, high quality games have moved systems the month they were released. GTA4 had more to do with it not being an exclusive, than anything else. Heck just look a few posts above. Donny and I have already posted the numbers for Halo 3 and MGS4.

Please don't start this argument. It's been done way too many times. It is a well established fact by now: Big game releases DO sell consoles and they move them WHEN they come out.

I figure someone who frequents Media Create threads, a place where you can see EXACTLY how this happens and how quickly it happens(a period of a week or two at most after release, let alone a month) would have learned that by now.

jimbo said:
[/b]

What? So the fact that GTA4 didn't move a lot of system is proof that people bought it ahead of time?

Both Halo 3 and MGS4 and many, many, many other huge, high quality games have moved systems the month they were released. GTA4 had more to do with it not being an exclusive, than anything else. Heck just look a few posts above. Donny and I have already posted the numbers for Halo 3 and MGS4.

Please don't start this argument. It's been done way too many times. It is a well established fact by now: Big game releases DO sell consoles and they move them WHEN they come out.

I figure someone who frequents Media Create threads, a place where you can see EXACTLY how this happens and how quickly it happens(a period of a week or two at most after release, let alone a month) would have learned that by now.
Halo 3 didn't move a ton of units on launch, a significant portion of the people who bought Halo 3 already had the system, regarding MGS4, I'd say it has alot more to do with 80 gig consoles more than the game. Japan != American market. I'll say it again, Big games DO NOT move units on launch. GTA IV says it all.

Tell me those "many, many, many huge games" that moved consoles on launch? If Halo 3 and MGS 4 are the only games you can come up with, I think that says enough.

Don't me wrong, ofcourse games do move consoles, but not on launch. Of the people that do get it on launch, it is too insignificant to make a big impact.

Top Bottom