• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a AAA game ever been sent out to die like Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This game has flop written all over it. They probably want to just ship it to recover whatever budget they spent but this game will be a disaster almost without a doubt. What's funny is that we all know it's doomed to fail and I can't recall the last time a AAA game was such a guaranteed failure. Well, there was Redfall but it's more AA I believe.

Still, I don't think anyone, including Rocksteady, has any faith in this game. It's so blatant that it will fall flat on its face both critically and commercially.

Bkdk

At some point they just have to cut their losses. Sometimes publishers might choose to cancel projects like these outright as they think the reputation damage is not worth it, but since their publisher is mainly in movie biz, they don't mind the hit in reputation and would rather make a few bucks from it, makes sense for them.

Holammer

Other games sent out to die at least had a veneer of potential, to push a few copies before the audience got wise.

Final Fantasy 16
Bait GIF

YuLY

There are actually alot of AAA games that flop but theres a quietness about them. As I understand it, both Alan Wake 2 and Avatar: Frontiers of Far Cry were flops.

I expect Hellblade 2 to be the next flop.

I will never understand who thought this Suicide Squad idea was good, like not even talking about just games....we had 2 movies...1 flopped, then they tried again with a semi-reboot, like...why...

Stuart360

I dont really see how Anthem was sent out to die. It had a ton of hype and promotion, a Niel Blomkamp (sp?) directed extended live action launch trailer, and the game supposedly sold 2mil copies in its first week.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Anthem
Titanfall 2
Skull and Bones
Avengers

Titanfall 2 is a little different to the others on that list. Nobody thought I'd be shite. In fact, it's probably one of the best single player FPS campaigns ever made (although too short) and the multiplayer was sublime.

It was however, set up to fail as it was released in-between COD and a new Battlefield game and for that reason didn't hit sales expectations. If they had held off until early 2017 it would have been a success.

havoc00

Titanfall 2 is a little different to the others on that list. Nobody thought I'd be shite. In fact, it's probably one of the best single player FPS campaigns ever made (although too short) and the multiplayer was sublime.

It was however, set up to fail as it was released in-between COD and a new Battlefield game and for that reason didn't hit sales expectations. If they had held off until early 2017 it would have been a success.
yea the release date was a death sentence.

IDKFA

I don't know why they keep trying to make suicide squad a thing. Both movie flopped, now this game is going to flop. Maybe figure out that Suicide Square is not an ip with any widespread appeal?

When they started this the Suicide Squad were popular. Now now they're not, but it's been in development for so long that they're stuck with them.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the Squad. A man with a boomerang and a mad woman with a baseball bat take on Superman, the Flash and Wonder Woman? I know this is a fantasy with superheroes, but that's just a nonsense scenario to me. There is only so far I can suspend my disbelief.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't know why they keep trying to make suicide squad a thing. Both movie flopped, now this game is going to flop. Maybe figure out that Suicide Square is not an ip with any widespread appeal?

As far as I can tell if it doesn't say "Batman" or "Superman" nobody's all that interested in DC stuff.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Personally, I've never been a fan of the Squad. A man with a boomerang and a mad woman with a baseball bat take on Superman, the Flash and Wonder Woman? I know this is a fantasy with superheroes, but that's just a nonsense scenario to me. There is only so far I can suspend my disbelief.

A flying man with lazers for eyes: fine.

Someone attacking someone with a baseball bat? Come on, get real.

Happy Fun GIF by Gofourward

When they started this the Suicide Squad were popular. Now now they're not, but it's been in development for so long that they're stuck with them.

They were never *that* popular, they were popular with a vocal niche.
And nobody actually wants to be the suicide squad, not in the way they want to be Superman or Batman. So even those interested in them were just interested in a intriguing side show kind of way. Very few wanted them to be protagonists in the movie or play as them in a game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The thing that irritates me the most about Suicide Squad is that the executives who made the decision to produce this game will be just fine, while the actual game devs are gonna suffer huge layoffs. What a bummer.

Stuart360

Actually the first movie was a massive hit surprisingly, which is the reason they want to make it a thing i'd guess.

Mossybrew

I dont really see how Anthem was sent out to die. It had a ton of hype and promotion, a Niel Blomkamp (sp?) directed extended live action launch trailer, and the game supposedly sold 2mil copies in its first week.
Yeah I don't think anyone was anticipating what a flop it would be, it wasn't until a couple weeks in that the backlash started in full force when everyone playing realized "uh, this is it?"

xrnzaaas

Skull and Bones will be the same big disaster. People literally wanted another Black Flag with more focus on being a pirate and less on being an assassin, not a multiplayer game with many missing or half-assed mechanics.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think he's saying someone with a baseball bat attacking a flying man with lasers for eyes, and being successful, is the dumb unbelievable part.

The big winky smily I put on there was to express that I understood what he was saying, but thought there was an element of humour to it when you stood back and thought about it, but thank you for trying to explain it to me.

Weirdly, I'm getting Arkham Asylum vibes...which btw didn't have the best early impressions either. But then it went on to become the greatest superhero game ever made.

OneBigPuss

Weirdly, I'm getting Arkham Asylum vibes...which btw didn't have the best early impressions either. But then it went on to become the greatest superhero game ever made.
Arkham Asylum? What are you smoking? It was a surprise hit and every preview was hyping it up and everyone was waiting for the game. It's the opposite of the SSKTJL situation.

Arkham Asylum? What are you smoking? It was a surprise hit and every preview was hyping it up and everyone was waiting for the game. It's the opposite of the SSKTJL situation.
That's what I'm saying it was a surprise hit. Initially it did not look too exciting, kind of bland. But you're right, everything leading up to release, such as demo, showed we were in for something great. That is indeed dissimilar from this game.

IDKFA

A flying man with lazers for eyes: fine.

Someone attacking someone with a baseball bat? Come on, get real.

Happy Fun GIF by Gofourward

I get it's a fantasy setting. Superman can fly, bench press the weight of the earth, has heat vision etc. He's practically a God. I'm cool with that in a fantasy setting.

However, should I then just accept that a skinny, insane women with a baseball bat is match for Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman etc?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I get it's a fantasy setting. Superman can fly, bench press the weight of the earth, has heat vision etc. He's practically a God. I'm cool with that in a fantasy setting.

However, should I then just accept that a skinny, insane women with a baseball bat is match for Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman etc?

Sorry, I had intended the big winking smiley to express that I understood your point, but that I thought there was a bit of humour in standing back and thinking about which "rules" you're prepared to break from one setting to another. You're the second person to not realise what I was doing though, so perhaps I need to take a long hard look at my use of emojis.

Emoji Thinking GIF

Top Bottom