• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a AAA game ever been sent out to die like Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League?

Generic

The gameplay videos looks good, really promising combat system. I'm under impression it's being hated for being GaaS.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Avengers wasn't really sent out to die either, they were beholden by disney's schedule for movie/tv show tie-ins, but then a bunch of shows got delayed, which delayed the content, and then they fucked themselves over by delaying even more content (the first major expansion) after chadwick boseman's death; by this time the damage was already done because they failed to deliver a bunch of promised content with all these delays, which led to people leaving because there was nothing to do.
Avengers really only had one job to keep people playing, and that was to steadily release new content, and they had planned a lot of it, but they completely failed doing so. In part by disney's schedule, but heck you can still come up with clever content yourself in between delays; the only explanation is there was only a skeleton crew after launch that was incapable of making more content that wasn't dictated by disney

simpatico

Why even delay it that extra year? That's a 100 man studio all getting another 12 months of salary. How bad could it have been?

Actually the first movie was a massive hit surprisingly, which is the reason they want to make it a thing i'd guess.
It did okay, had a good first weekend but the legs were kind of weak. Given the budget it wasn't a huge money maker, which is why they kinda rebooted it instead of doing a sequel.

MiguelItUp

Anthem and Avengers yes. Gotham Knights was the 17th best selling game in 2022 according to NPD, and it came out in November. So although nobody here played it, it sold very well to the normies.
I never paid attention to GK's numbers, that's awful. I just assumed its massive and quick price drop was proof that it wasn't doing so well.

Stuart360

It did okay, had a good first weekend but the legs were kind of weak. Given the budget it wasn't a huge money maker, which is why they kinda rebooted it instead of doing a sequel.
Nah it was big. 325mil US, and 750mil worldwide off a 175mil budget.
Thats big by DC standards, especially taking into account it wasnt a sequel, and had terrible reviews (26% Tomato rating).

A lot of superhero films these days wish they could make those numbers.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
FqGkpeHWwAURY5G.jpg
Paging rofif rofif

Lmao!

Also, I’m a full blown retard and plan to buy Suicide Squad day one. Looks like mindless fun with the boys. Boomerang gonna be fun.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
One of the points the IGN article makes is something I’ve thought since I heard the title:

“Kill the Justice League”

Fuck that! I don’t want to kill my heroes, even if they are possessed. Not to mention the fact that there’s no way they’re ACTUALLY going to kill them, which means the entire story is going to have some dumb time reversal, Deus Ex Machina that just brings them back to life and makes the whole thing pointless anyway.

It really just seems like a case of a bad initially idea that no amount of delays or money could ever make good.

Anthem and Avengers yes. Gotham Knights was the 17th best selling game in 2022 according to NPD, and it came out in November. So although nobody here played it, it sold very well to the normies.
Gotham Knights was also selling for $35 on PSN three weeks after launch. I can't speak if this sale was on PC and Xbox too though I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Mostly I remember seeing that 50% discount and going "Wow, WB is waving a white flag on this game already?!"

kyussman

It's literally called Suicide Squad......what did you expect,lol.
On a more serious note......Anthem,Avengers.......you would think they would have learnt something from those high profile failures but I guess these games are a long time in development so it's hard to pivot once they are well into making the game......it's either cancel it or plow on till the bitter end.
I wonder how many of these Sony have in development,lol......they must be shitting themselves right now.

SHA

The thing that irritates me the most about Suicide Squad is that the executives who made the decision to produce this game will be just fine, while the actual game devs are gonna suffer huge layoffs. What a bummer.
Then, the damage to DC and WB is much bigger and chronicle than we thought.

Hudo

I just want WB Games to make a new Mad Max game. The first one was solid and I feel if they stick to it and improve on what they have, they could make a really good game.

Last edited:
The thing that irritates me the most about Suicide Squad is that the executives who made the decision to produce this game will be just fine, while the actual game devs are gonna suffer huge layoffs. What a bummer.
I'm not sure this is such a terrible thing anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for anyone to lose their jobs. But Rocksteady has bled talent for years because of the direction it's gone in. At the end of the day, Rocksteady is no longer the developer that turned out Arkham Knight the better part of nine years ago. That Rocksteady is gone.

While there will likely be layoffs and downsizing, and I empathize with hard-working individuals who may lose their jobs and wish any who do a speedy unemployment and new, better prospects for them; I don't really have any empathy for Rocksteady as an entity. It's a corpse of its former self. If this is to be the end of it, let it go. Let's remember it for the great Arkham titles it put out and not this live service travesty.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Yes titanfall 2! Ea had the balls the release this right if im not mistaken within a week of bf and COD.
It was sandwiched between both games. It was fuckin suicide. Brand new, £20. Yet, it was better than both mainstream games. Great single player, and magic multiplayer.

MonkD

I just want WB Games to make a new Mad Max game. The first one was solid and I feel if they stick to it and improve on what they have, they could make a really good game.
That's one of those where they thought they had produced a turd and just wanted it out of their house. I'm guessing this game might be the opposite of that?

And just screw any game that time-gates their content. I understand that it probably gives you a higher initial player engagement, but won't it put people of when they learn that older content is unobtainable? The battlepass/seasonpass for this game looks like utter shit to begin with, just a bunch of bloat that no one gives a shit about. Why would I want emotes in a (co-op)game like this, are we pretending that voice chat was never invented or is it for roleplaying?

Sygma

Its funny because most of the previews are actually positive, in particular this one :

Game itself has been good in tests for a long time, people are just overly emotional about the content

its fine if they dont like looters, as far as im concerned for once that this genre has money injected in it I ain't gonna pass on it. Classic gear sets are enabling vastly different playstyles from one character to another, in case anybody is interested

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Gotham Knights was also selling for $35 on PSN three weeks after launch. I can't speak if this sale was on PC and Xbox too though I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Mostly I remember seeing that 50% discount and going "Wow, WB is waving a white flag on this game already?!"

That's fine. I'm not arguing that it made a ton of money or that it was well received. I'm just saying that it actually sold ok and that WB did market the game. So it wasn't "sent out to die" quite like a lot of the other examples mentioned here.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Final Fantasy 16
Huh? It was a big exclusive for PS5. The only loss of hype was from people with multiple platforms and competition with Diablo. They clearly thought they had something great with it, but it wasn't. First mainline FF that I bought and didn't finish. I should see if I can roll through the last couple of hours.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Redfall. They knew the game was unfinished trash and still shipped it.

Some of the devs were even hoping it would've been cancelled.
Based on the interview Spencer did after the game's release, I am not sure they knew it was trash, which is even more worrying.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Yeah definitely feels like an Anthem situation to me. I think a runner-up title would maybe be Avengers? Or Gotham Knights?

Avengers actually had some last minute optimism as the media got to play (the best parts of) the campaign and enjoyed it.

Suicide Squad has had kind of the opposite effect after the media got their hands on it.

Clover904

The Last of Us Part II

The game had been leaked and everyone on gaming forums despised it on every level. They said it has a terrible story, it’s woke, it’s a betrayal of the fanbase, that the game would be dead on arrival.

But then it released and was a success on every imaginable level.

MiguelItUp

Avengers actually had some last minute optimism as the media got to play (the best parts of) the campaign and enjoyed it.

Suicide Squad has had kind of the opposite effect after the media got their hands on it.
Oh yeah? I guess I missed that.

I know there's some positives said about Suicide Squad in the previews, and that's neat. But I definitely feel like for what it is, there should be a lot more positive comments out there. I've already seen quite a bit about the controls, the UI, and just the overall flow of the game just feeling a bit messy.

Gambit2483

Based on the interview Spencer did after the game's release, I am not sure they knew it was trash, which is even more worrying.
I should have clarified, the devs knew it was trash being sent to die. Phil was clueless...which is, like you said, just as worrying

Top Bottom