• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone here ever played Policenauts?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I played like 20 minutes of the Japanese Saturn version cause I'm so in love with Snatcher. But then I remembered I can't read Japanese.

Soul4ger

I have all three versions, played the Saturn and PlayStation games. My knowledge of Japanese was unfortunately extremely limited when I played it, but with a walkthrough/translation, I had a grand old time. When I graduate, I'll likely replay it again.

Funny, I just picked up a mint copy of the LE Saturn release this past weekend. As a big fan of Snatcher, I can say that it is definitely the "next generation of Snatcher" that it claims to be.

Though, if you can't read/understand Japanese really well, you'd better start studying. I'm currently studying my Japanese a lot more, and with my limited knowledge, I'm still not getting through with 100% accuracy as far as language goes. Plan to know a LOT of kanji.

If you're a fan of Snatcher (or adventure games in general) and know Japanese, or you're willing to put forth the effort to learn it, you should absolutely play Snatcher.

Soul4ger said:
My knowledge of Japanese was unfortunately extremely limited when I played it, but with a walkthrough/translation, I had a grand old time.

Where'd you find a translation? I've been looking and haven't found one yet.

I'm kind of looking forward to MGS4 wrapping up the series so Kojima can get on with making new games. It's really a shame he's written off localization of Policenauts. It could make a decent Wii game if nothing else.

ourumov

Beat the Mega CD version of Snatcher but didn't have the guts to play Policenauts...Not knowing japanese was my hugest handicap...

Played all of them except for the PC98 version (for the lack of the actual hardware).
I'm basically to Policenauts what CVXfreak is to Resident Evil.
Breaks my heart that there is basically no translation of it anywhere. There was a group working on translating the PC98 version, and junkerhq.net is still trying to decode the character set for the Saturn and PS version last I checked.

Of all those Japan-only gems in line, this one is begging to get the fan translation treatment at the very least. I don't think we'll see an official one anytime soon, sadly, since Kojima basically burned out on it (yes, the man had already burned out on something else before metal gear came along in full force), and it's reportedly his baby (won't let anyone else direct it, so it would have to be him on the project).

I think this deserves a bump because of the translation project almost being done.

http://policenauts.net/

A patch is coming out to the PlayStation version. I've played the game to the end but my understanding of Japanese is very limited. I'm definately looking forward to playing it again (on the PSP), this time fully understanding the story.

SERGE

WOW I would never in a million years think that Policenauts would have ever gotten a translation.
I will buy the PS1 version just so I can apply the patch when they are finished, soooo damn cool!

MegaTen

Banned
It had some pretty awesome cutscenes, characters, and music. I really hope that Kojima plans to revisit Policenauts and/or Snatcher..

Brofist

yes, I've beaten it a couple times. when I stop being so lazy I'll dump it on to my PSP for another run.

It's funny to see what Kojima was a fan of when making his games. Snatcher obviously borrows from Blade Runner, Policenauts borrows a bit from Lethal Weapon.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
GoncaloCCastro said:
I think this deserves a bump because of the translation project almost being done.

http://policenauts.net/

A patch is coming out to the PlayStation version. I've played the game to the end but my understanding of Japanese is very limited. I'm definately looking forward to playing it again (on the PSP), this time fully understanding the story.
NO WAY!

i tried playing the saturn version with a translation guide but i gave up about an hour or so in. this is like the answer to my prayers.

kpop100 said:
... Policenauts borrows a bit from Lethal Weapon.

johnattan_and_ed.jpg

lethal_weapon.jpg

It sure does, even some of the music is similar.

Top Bottom