• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haswell-E Launching Q2 - Ahead of Schedule

mkenyon

Banned
Via KitGuru.

The new Core i7 “Haswell-E” 5000-series central processing units will be compatible with Intel X99 chipset as well as LGA2011-3 socket. The platform will be tailored for enthusiasts, so it will support very flexible tuning and overclocking capabilities, up to five devices in PCI Express 2.0/3.0 x8 mode (four graphics cards and one enthusiast-class solid-state drive in PCIe card form-factor), ten Serial ATA-6Gb/s ports, up to six USB 3.0 ports (14 USB ports in total), various Intel technologies like Rapid Storage, Rapid Recover and so on.

Previously it was believed that Intel will introduce the Core i7 “Haswell-E” 5000-series CPUs in the third quarter of 2014, in August or September. However, it looks like the company decided to speed up the things quite a bit: the new high-end desktop (HEDT) platform from Intel will be unveiled at Computex Taipei 2013 trade-show and will reach the market shortly after that.

Info on X99 and Haswell-E:

pNO0HRx.png

uG5wzpl.pngl

UF053yi.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pricing expectations?

Wouldn't these in theory be cheaper to manufacture than haswell with integrated graphics? Seems the graphics part has become larger and more complex, so removing that and doubling the CPU cores would be a smaller die?

mkenyon

Banned
Damn, it's happening. How much would an 8 core cost?
Pricing expectations?

Wouldn't these in theory be cheaper to manufacture than haswell with integrated graphics? Seems the graphics part has become larger and more complex, so removing that and doubling the CPU cores would be a smaller die?
Pricing will mirror the current Ivy-E stuff. 5820K @ $330, 5930K @ $550.

I have no idea on the second part. There's a lot of stuff that these have which the consumer socket doesn't though, like 40 PCI-E lanes, DDR4 support, and more cores.

DDR4, it's happening!

Probably will be pretty expensive though, and I am not sure how much you will notice faster RAM. But we shall see. And people who get Haswell-E already got a bit more money to spend anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's nice to see Intel finally releasing eight-core desktop CPUs but there's no way I'm paying the "enthusiast" premium. As it stands the only upgrades on the horizon for me are another 8GB of DDR3 and the replacing of my two 670s with two 870s.

Joke post?

He may be confusing DDR and GDDR.

kennah

It's nice to see Intel finally releasing eight-core desktop CPUs but there's no way I'm paying the "enthusiast" premium. As it stands the only upgrades on the horizon for me are another 8GB of DDR3 and the replacing of my two 670s with two 870s.

He may be confusing DDR and GDDR.

You should just start collecting pc parts like you collect games.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, but considering the size of the PS4 GDDR5 joke, and this being GAF, I assumed the worse. Shame on me :p
DDR4 is going to push system prices though the roof.
This is the enthusiast platform. The stuff that most people use, which is the consumer socket (1150 now, 1155 last gen) is still using DDR3. We are already seeing the brunt of DDR4 going into production on memory prices though. It's more than doubled in the last two years.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should just start collecting pc parts like you collect games.

Haha, collecting Steam games burns through enough of my spare cash as it is... to such an extent, in fact, that Hanna is still the most recent Saoirse Ronan film among my BD collection. :( I do plan on fixing that, though. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, time to upgrade will be when 6 core Intel CPU will be for 300 dollars or such, but also when DX12 GPU and DDR4 will be available.

Oxn

Wow, I had it all planned out in my head to buy it at the turn of the New Year because I was expecting it to launch Q4 2014.

Now my budget is going to sky rocket cause I may have to buy it this year.

Going for my first ever Extreme Edition chip, and a Sabertooth X99 Mobo.

mkenyon

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, time to upgrade will be when 6 core Intel CPU will be for 300 dollars or such, but also when DX12 GPU and DDR4 will be available.
The 5820K will be 6C/12T for $330, and the platform supports DDR4. :p
Hoping these would be a substantial upgrade from my old i7 920.
Indeed they will be. Plus, the heatspreader will be soldered on!
So when can we expect to see Broadwell?
Q4 I think?
Im most interested to see if there will be any IPC improvements. Seems like these "E" series have just been supersized versions
Same architecture as Haswell, so no IPC improvements there. But, the heat spreader will be soldered on, and the die is much larger, so it should probably overclock much better than Haswell.

Ravijn

Wow, I had it all planned out in my head to buy it at the turn of the New Year because I was expecting it to launch Q4 2014.

Now my budget is going to sky rocket cause I may have to buy it this year.

Going for my first ever Extreme Edition chip, and a Sabertooth X99 Mobo.

Just a word of advice on the Sabertooth line. I have a Sabertooth Z77 and depending on the aftermarket cooler you use it's sometimes a pain the a$$ to get the screws in around the thermal armor. Other than that it's the best motherboard I've ever used.....and it looks great!

Intel finally releasing real 8 core CPUs to the consumer market?

itshappening.gif

I'm still on i7-950 so I am paying close attention. Don't let us down, Intel.

Flai

My i7-3930k is still going strong from late 2011, not planning on upgrading for a few years.

My i7-920 is still going strong from late 2008, not planning on upgrading for a few years.

It's kinda ridiculous how little the Intel CPUs have advanced performance-wise since Nehalem. Also the non-enthusiast CPUs have been 4-core since... 2006? Come on Intel, make some 8-core or atleast 6-core CPUs that doesn't cost +500$..

Asiriya

Neo Member
What about Thunderbolt? Is that a part of the chipset or just an extra that manufacturers decide to include?

Firebrand

So 6 core is going to start becoming the standard now?
Haswell consumer line refresh seems to be 4 cores only, so not quite yet. Maybe next year?

I wonder if the 6-core will be closer in price to the Ivy-E 4-core 4820K or the 6-core 4930K. I was looking at getting an i7 4770K but now I'm not so sure.

mkenyon

Banned
My i7-920 is still going strong from late 2008, not planning on upgrading for a few years.

It's kinda ridiculous how little the Intel CPUs have advanced performance-wise since Nehalem. Also the non-enthusiast CPUs have been 4-core since... 2006? Come on Intel, make some 8-core or atleast 6-core CPUs that doesn't cost +500$..
There's pretty substantial gaming benefits to be had upgrading from Nehalem.

If a Nehalem is running around 4.0-4.2GHz, it is still pretty damned good though. If one isn't too picky about super smooth game playing or 120Hz, then I can see why one wouldn't upgrade yet.
So just a quarter of this 8-core processor absolutely spanks the PS4, correct?
More like 1.5 cores of this would. Maybe 1 core depending on the clock.

mkenyon

Banned
definitely keeping my eye on these

any expectations how these will play out of primarily gaming rigs?
The motherboard prices will be prohibitively expensive for a lot of folks. Most likely $220 for a super baseline motherboard, $300 for something decently well-equipped. Throw DDR4 on top of that, and you're looking at $750-900 just for mobo/CPU/memory, assuming one were to go for the 6 core 5820K.

mkenyon

Banned
You'd be best going 1150 for all out gaming purposes.
Unless 3 to 4 way SLI/Crossfire enters the picture, then yeah.

The biggest benefit to really high end gaming rigs is that the enthusiast socket has 40 PCI-E lanes, as opposed to the 16 on the consumer socket.

Spaghetti

hm... i'll have to look closer when it comes time for me to build my new pc then.

i'm not sure if i plan on just using it for gaming. ideally i'd like a balance for gaming and editing/vfx work.

The motherboard prices will be prohibitively expensive for a lot of folks. Most likely $220 for a super baseline motherboard, $300 for something decently well-equipped. Throw DDR4 on top of that, and you're looking at $750-900 just for mobo/CPU/memory, assuming one were to go for the 6 core 5820K.
what perf gain are we likely to see though? 2-3x the price for 2x the perf and half the power draw would be bearable, for example

LilJoka

There's pretty substantial gaming benefits to be had upgrading from Nehalem.

If a Nehalem is running around 4.0-4.2GHz, it is still pretty damned good though. If one isn't too picky about super smooth game playing or 120Hz, then I can see why one wouldn't upgrade yet.

More like 1.5 cores of this would. Maybe 1 core depending on the clock.

The socket 1366 chips where a bit better than the 1156 ones, and also most i7 920s easily hit 4Ghz. You had the 980x too which was 6 core, that still holds its own very much. If your running single GPU setup its probably fine. 980x no issues still.

Also not sure if your graphs are using high end GPUs with low settings, as thiw ill exaggerate the difference due to the GPU usually being the bottlenck in realistic situations using High settings/Resolutions.

Theres also some doubt with the SKUs, it could end up like Bloomfield with all models 6 Core, and the Extreme as 8 core. Hope not. Pricing will probably stay similar to current Ivy-E chips. Ill assume TDP will not drop due to the addition of cores.

Top Bottom