• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haswell-E Launching Q2 - Ahead of Schedule

The socket 1366 chips where a bit better than the 1156 ones, and also most i7 920s easily hit 4Ghz. You had the 980x too which was 6 core, that still holds its own very much. If your running single GPU setup its probably fine. 980x no issues still.

Also not sure if your graphs are using high end GPUs with low settings, as thiw ill exaggerate the difference due to the GPU usually being the bottlenck in realistic situations using High settings/Resolutions.

Theres also some doubt with the SKUs, it could end up like Bloomfield with all models 6 Core, and the Extreme as 8 core. Hope not. Pricing will probably stay similar to current Ivy-E chips. Ill assume TDP will not drop due to the addition of cores.

1156 CPUs had better turbo and lower heat.

teiresias

If DDR2->DDR3 is anything to compare it will be slower and more expensive then top DDR3 ram.

The history of that transition is the only thing making me think I should just go ahead and upgrade my i7-870 to a 4770k (or even a 4670k) now rather than wait on this. The RAM issue is really questionable with DDR4 - but I guess I can wait to see actual numbers.

Tablo

For gaming the 8 core is probably not going to be optimal, it'll have lower clocks and run hotter. The 6 core on the other hand...Gimme.
DDR4 being slower than good DDR3 atm is a bit of an issue, kinda worried about that for early adopters, even if DDR4 has new features.
Considering there's a X79 Asus ROG micro atx board for 300$, if they can pull that off for X99, I'll be happy.
The hype is real.

Reviewers really should start taking gaming benchmarks while streaming/recording gameplay. If the extra cores help a lot with streaming, consumers would like to know.

dr_rus

No, thank you. My 3820 is fine and I'd sooner swap it for 4930 instead of changing all platform including memory.

Mac Pros use Xeon processors, not Ivy Bridge E. Xeon is always a year behind, so I wouldn't wait.

Xeons share sockets and most other features, and tend to roll out concurrently with their non-Xeon counterparts. It's safe to say the Haswell-E Xeons will surface around the same time, which is what he was referring to.

Cipherr

If DDR2->DDR3 is anything to compare it will be slower and more expensive then top DDR3 ram.

Wow I didn't think about that at all. I remember hearing that years ago. Is it really common? I mean do we really have to worry about that at the start this go-round?

Wow I didn't think about that at all. I remember hearing that years ago. Is it really common? I mean do we really have to worry about that at the start this go-round?

Yes we do

Starting standard speed of DDR4 is going to be 2133 Mhz (equivalent of 1066 ddr3 we had at first)

You can easily buy DDR3 2133 Mhz on the cheap and 2400 is getting into affordable ranges slowly. If you spend a lot there is DDR3 >2400 Mhz.

There obviously will be some ddr4 for overclockers but we have yet to see what speeds they will be released at.

Another thing is what latency will ddr4 have ?

So i'd expect a sidegrade at best in initial years.

The advantages of DDR4 will mostly be for laptops/portable devices, where the higher speeds haven't really been an option and the lower voltage will help with battery life. DDR4 will also give integrated GPUs a significant performance boost, though it might take Intel designing around it first for their GPUs to fully see the benefit.

Where every system will benefit is that higher density DIMMs will become cheaper/mainstream. In other words, we'll eventually be able to see 16GB or 32GB of RAM (in 8x2 and 16x2 configurations) at a decent price.

mkenyon

Banned
Yes we do

Starting standard speed of DDR4 is going to be 2133 Mhz (equivalent of 1066 ddr3 we had at first)

You can easily buy DDR3 2133 Mhz on the cheap and 2400 is getting into affordable ranges slowly. If you spend a lot there is DDR3 >2400 Mhz.

There obviously will be some ddr4 for overclockers but we have yet to see what speeds they will be released at.

Another thing is what latency will ddr4 have ?

So i'd expect a sidegrade at best in initial years.
A lot of memory is only binned that way due to the improvements on the IMC with Ivy and Haswell. You can take a stick of "2400 MHz RAM" and it will only do 1600 or 1866 on Sandy or AMD chips.

belmonkey

Is DDR4 gonna do anything beneficial to gaming? If 16 / 32 GB are going to become more common, is there anything to do with that extra RAM?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really waiting to see what those 6 cores from Intel can do.
All I want is a CPU that won't limit me in the next 5 years.
My old Core 2 Duo is showing it's limits now...

Water

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really waiting to see what those 6 cores from Intel can do.
All I want is a CPU that won't limit me in the next 5 years.
My old Core 2 Duo is showing it's limits now...
I'm also on C2D and looking to upgrade in a couple of months, but I'm doubtful Haswell-E will deliver substantial improvement over an OCd 4770k for my purposes. I want to shoot for ~120FPS at 1080p in games where it's possible, get smooth console emulation, etc. Planning to initially go with one high-end GPU. Maybe 20% chance I add a second one later. No chance I'll have more than 2 GPUs.

Guess I'll wait for the reviews to see if I get the 8 core or just the Broadwell 5770k. Either way, I need an upgrade for The Witcher 3. Plus, I can imagine that either one will last me at least 4 years, if not the entire generation. Unless games start getting REALLY CPU/core dependent.

edit: actually, there's really no reason to upgrade from my i5-3570k, is there? I have it OC'd to either 4 or 4.2Ghz, I forget. Nothing's really going to tear that thing to shreds, will it?

belmonkey

I fear that the next Assassin's Creed will only use 25% of that 8 core / 16 thread CPU, like how AC4 performance is similar between an i3 (2 cores / 4 threads) and an i7.

The day I replace my 4.2Ghz Core I7 930 is the day it dies... or the day when my processor becomes the main limiting factor in me achieving 60fps. That day has yet to come for any of the titles I play luckily.

Given what we have seen with 28nm Maxwell... I think we will be in for a treat when 20nm Full maxwell comes out.

I have an I7 920@4.5ghz HTon only during heavy games with 12gbddr3 1600mhz and 780gtx.

I'am in the same situation. I don't know what to do. I7 4770k? I'am really scared about temps and overclock.

Guess I'll wait for the reviews to see if I get the 8 core or just the Broadwell 5770k. Either way, I need an upgrade for The Witcher 3. Plus, I can imagine that either one will last me at least 4 years, if not the entire generation. Unless games start getting REALLY CPU/core dependent.

edit: actually, there's really no reason to upgrade from my i5-3570k, is there? I have it OC'd to either 4 or 4.2Ghz, I forget. Nothing's really going to tear that thing to shreds, will it?

Unless something has changed recently, there isn't going to be a Broadwell desktop part like a 5770K. You would have to do Haswell-E or wait for Skylake.

mkenyon

Banned

Nope. Just bump up the OC a bit further.
I fear that the next Assassin's Creed will only use 25% of that 8 core / 16 thread CPU, like how AC4 performance is similar between an i3 (2 cores / 4 threads) and an i7.
Yeah, but considering this is a much larger chip than Haswell (more surface area = better heat transfer), and will have a heat spreader soldered on rather than using TIM, this might be the OC beast.

Heck, a vast majority of games aren't going to use anything close to the full 16 threads. The number of games with 4 or more threads could probably be counted on a single hand. As far as gaming performance goes, it's all about getting the IPC/Frequency as high as possible. At least right now.
I have an I7 920@4.5ghz HTon only during heavy games with 12gbddr3 1600mhz and 780gtx.

I'am in the same situation. I don't know what to do. I7 4770k? I'am really scared about temps and overclock.
Depends on your budget, but a 4770K build would be significantly cheaper. You could probably even bring your memory over and undervolt it with higher speeds, thanks to the badass IMC on Haswell chips.

Unless something has changed recently, there isn't going to be a Broadwell desktop part like a 5770K. You would have to do Haswell-E or wait for Skylake.

Broadwell-K will be a thing a few months down the line from the original chips. Word has it that GT3e will also be standard.

kennah

I want an ITX version to upgrade my video editing computer. 35 minutes to encode an entire 1.5h movie in HD is still too long.

Water

Yeah, but considering this is a much larger chip than Haswell (more surface area = better heat transfer), and will have a heat spreader soldered on rather than using TIM, this might be the OC beast.
As I'm new to overclocking, I'm curious about in which circumstances those characteristics help. Is there a reason to expect they might result in higher "comfortable" OC at stock voltages, or is it mostly that they should allow raising the voltage higher, and taking advantage of H-E:s additional headroom means lots of heat? Would it be essential to go water instead of air to see a difference in single-threaded performance?

Durante

I'm really curious about the relative OC ability of the 6 and 8 core versions. It could happen that you buy the most expensive version, and then get lower performance in the vast majority of workloads -- taking maximum overclocking into account.

Intel has been so hit-or-miss with OCability lately, it's basically wait and see on Haswell-E.

People who got those Sandy Bridges that hit 4.8ghz are still sitting pretty all these years later.

Thoraxes

Man oh man, my date for building a new rig during the holiday shopping season just got a hell of a lot more interesting. Was gonna do a new one for Witcher 3 or the Occulus Rift, whichever came first, and with the delay well, yeah.

Soldering didn't do anything to Ivy Bridge-E overclocking compared to 1155 cpus.

The problem isn't TIM/solder/IHS - you have to dissipate same amount energy from much smaller area comapred to sandy bridge.

I'm really curious about the relative OC ability of the 6 and 8 core versions. It could happen that you buy the most expensive version, and then get lower performance in the vast majority of workloads -- taking maximum overclocking into account.

This is the reason why I'm glad that Haswell E is ahead of schedule. These questions will hopefully be answered by the time 20nm Maxwell is available and I'm ready to build.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I am as well. That's how the 3820s ended up. You'd have a max clock of around 4.8 GHz with a lot of the 3930Ks, but 5.0 GHz 3820s were extremely common. I had one myself!
As I'm new to overclocking, I'm curious about in which circumstances those characteristics help. Is there a reason to expect they might result in higher "comfortable" OC at stock voltages, or is it mostly that they should allow raising the voltage higher, and taking advantage of H-E:s additional headroom means lots of heat? Would it be essential to go water instead of air to see a difference in single-threaded performance?
Haswell included an on-die VRM. My 4770K, for instance, is at 4.5 GHz with very low voltage and sitting pretty with these temps in Prime 95 Small FFT:

uBQFS8S.png

That's due to a delid and a waterblock. Prior to the delid, it was in the 80s.
Soldering didn't do anything to Ivy Bridge-E overclocking compared to 1155 cpus.

The problem isn't TIM/solder/IHS - you have to dissipate same amount energy from much smaller area comapred to sandy bridge.
Ivy-E could be pushed comfortably to 4.4-4.6, whereas the consumer socket might be limited to 4.2-4.5.

Haswell also has an on-die VRM, which may help. I'm not saying it will, but the possibility is there.

Water

Haswell included an on-die VRM. My 4770K, for instance, is at 4.5 GHz with very low voltage and sitting pretty with these temps in Prime 95 Small FFT:
That's due to a delid and a waterblock. Prior to the delid, it was in the 80s.
I'm still a bit hazy on what I'm supposed to infer about Haswell-E based on those things. Delidding has a large impact on Haswell -> the Haswell-E's better integrated heatsink setup should also have a large impact?
Is it confirmed that the H-E's VRM will not be on die?

mkenyon

Banned
Excuse me, those are two separate issues. First we have on-die VRM, which an Intel engineer on Reddit alluded would help the overclocking performance of the chips:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/15iaet/iama_cpu_architect_and_designer_at_intel_ama/

What do you usually do with your system? If you like to overclock, Haswell is worth it (can't tell you why but read the Haswell Anandtech preview very carefully for buried treasure).

It should, in theory, help Overclocking as the on-die VRM can be far more precise in delivering the right amount of power than something on the motherboard could. I haven't totally kept up on all of the standard Haswell issues, but there's speculation that the added heat from this on the consumer socket is additionally too much for the small physical space to dissipate. If that were the case, then it would be less severe on the enthusiast socket.

To summarize that: Haswell-E will have on-die VRM, but the supposed overclocking benefits might be more apparent.

Then issue #2 is the fact that there is TIM and often a gap between the actual CPU die and the heat spreader with consumer Haswell. This was the case on the consumer Ivy procs as well, but seemingly less severe. Being able to have soldered on heatspreaders will improve the situation for those who don't delid.

Top Bottom