• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haswell-E Launching Q2 - Ahead of Schedule

LilJoka

Those 8 cores are gona hold up most likely to PS6, maybe even PS7. Hes not joking when hes saying they are on a different galaxy.

I think within 10 years we will move away from silicon substrate, and there will be vast performance increases. So this stuff could become totally obsolete. Germanium is being heavily researched due to its hole mobility advantage over silicon, which will mean much faster devices. Also we are coming to a critical point in moores law where the transistor gate length is approaching scales where quantum mechanics start to play a bigger role.

It's surprising, but awesome that Intel is releasing this a bit ahead of their (leaked) schedule.

Even though I just upgraded my machine last month, I'm probably going to look into upgrading it again either next year, or the year after. Give it a generation of refinement, and hopefully lower costs.

Now, hopefully in a year or two more games will better utilize those 8-cores.

drexplora

my i7-870@3.5 ghz still hasn't found something to max it
think I can get by for another CPU generation

same with my 680

think I can get by for another CPU generation

same with my 680

I have a 680 as well, but I'm feeling the pressure to upgrade because of the VRAM. Mine only has 2GB (I bought the 680 the day it came out) while later models got up to 4GB.

I think within 10 years we will move away from silicon substrate, and there will be vast performance increases. So this stuff could become totally obsolete. Germanium is being heavily researched due to its hole mobility advantage over silicon, which will mean much faster devices. Also we are coming to a critical point in moores law where the transistor gate length is approaching scales where quantum mechanics start to play a bigger role.

Who knows, i certainly hope so. But im not so sure this is coming till at least 15 years more.

Man I would love to start a new build with one of these.

Then I think about how long my i7 920 has been running at 4.1 and how it hasn't had an issue with anything I have thrown at it since 2008. What a great investment that little cpu has been!

I guess I'll be waiting for broadwell and beyond to do another build...

Edit: when are we going to see the graphene cpus?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
drexplora said:
Try any number of recent AC games. Or GTAIV. Or Sleeping Dogs...
(I have an 860, but really anything that stresses draw-call count a bit is all but guaranteed to drop below 60 a lot, CPU limited).

Cipherr

Man I would love to start a new build with one of these.

Then I think about how long my i7 920 has been running at 4.1 and how it hasn't had an issue with anything I have thrown at it since 2008. What a great investment that little cpu has been!

I guess I'll be waiting for broadwell and beyond to do another build...

Edit: when are we going to see the graphene cpus?

I used to have a 920 too I think, or maybe it was a higher one, I don't recall. But yeah it feels like over the last 6 or so years, starting with the Neph chips, they are lasting a long while. Its good for wallets, but somehow I feel disappointed. You can't really do a build every 2 to 3 years because its just not worth it. You can get by on a rather older chip (assuming single gpu) for a whiiiiile.

time to start regretting our component purchases :X

I2600K $250 first intel retailer package. Had it for years, overclocked to 4.8 GHZ on liquid cooling. I regret nothing. :p

I am ready to upgrade though. Nothing has looked like a real upgrade for a long time.

I have a 680 as well, but I'm feeling the pressure to upgrade because of the VRAM. Mine only has 2GB (I bought the 680 the day it came out) while later models got up to 4GB.

Yup, I have a 2 GB 680 too. Depending how the 8 GB of GDDR5 in PS4 is utilized in the coming year or two, I might find myself forced into a GPU upgrade even though the performance is fine, the VRAM size might become an Achilles heel soonish.

I've had my i7-950 since the first year that Nehalem was available. My gaming PC has not seen an overhaul in nearly half a decade besides GPU upgrades. If this thing really delivers on it's promises, I might have to jump in. 8 cores of Haswell ought to last another half decade if I get a decent OC out of it.

SandTorso

Excellent. I'll give it a month or so and see how the reception is, but this is the CPU platform I've been waiting for to upgrade my Q6600 from. Thing is mostly fine, but chokes in open world games (and completely bottlenecks my 670).

Well, time to save up some cash.

riflen

Yup, I have a 2 GB 680 too. Depending how the 8 GB of GDDR5 in PS4 is utilized in the coming year or two, I might find myself forced into a GPU upgrade even though the performance is fine, the VRAM size might become an Achilles heel soonish.

I've had my i7-950 since the first year that Nehalem was available. My gaming PC has not seen an overhaul in nearly half a decade besides GPU upgrades. If this thing really delivers on it's promises, I might have to jump in. 8 cores of Haswell ought to last another half decade if I get a decent OC out of it.

As of now, the PS4 can utilise 5GB total for games. This'll probably increase a little over its lifetime, but a 2GB 680 might be viable for longer than you think. Of course this all depends on how you prefer your games to look and run.

As of now, the PS4 can utilise 5GB total for games. This'll probably increase a little over its lifetime, but a 2GB 680 might be viable for longer than you think. Of course this all depends on how you prefer your games to look and run.

I'm the asshole who refuses to run games on anything but max everything and 60+fps, so when 2GB VRAM becomes an issue, it's time to upgrade.

880 should have at LEAST 4GB, right?

Oxn

Was gonna buy an 880 or Titan 2 this year and then Haswell-E beginning of next.

This is gonna be expensive.

8 cores?
HOLY shit

wrestler_excited_gif.gif

I thought there would only be 6 core versions again

finally some sign of progress in cpu land

Kind of tempting (even though it's hella expensive) to get the 6 core version when it's out
2-4 cores powerful enough to not choke on all the current and near future games that'll only support 2-4 cores, and a 50 percent performance increase down the line when new games do support more cores

Kind of like I got 50 percent extra performance out of my phenom II 3x for 10 euros down the line in certain games (only much more expensive :( )

hopefully it overclocks well and doesn't suffer from the same IHS gap issue crap from haswell and ivy bridge
hopefully the 6 core version is 330 dollars and the 8 core

I really hope there'll be a 6 core broadwell or skylake now that their extreme editions go up to 8 to make it accessible for the average consumer

Durante

Depending on how the $330 6 core version overclocks, this will finally make me upgrade from my i7 920. It's about damn time.

I really hope this early launch rumour is true.

Considering the current trajectory of desktop CPU performance, 8 cores of OC'ed Haswell will last a decade, not half of one.
(I'm actually being serious)

Tablo

Depending on how the $330 6 core version overclocks, this will finally make me upgrade from my i7 920. It's about damn time.

Same here, my 980X is getting old. Only problem is this not being ITX.

rbanke

Considering the current trajectory of desktop CPU performance, 8 cores of OC'ed Haswell will last a decade, not half of one.

I'm with you, Still rockin' a i7 860, been itching to upgrade for a year now.

mkenyon

Banned
I wished someone made the Haswell-E board into a ITX factor...
Will they have a mITX form?
Not enough space for the number of traces they need. Even cramming it all on a mATX board is pretty tough work.
I2600K $250 first intel retailer package. Had it for years, overclocked to 4.8 GHZ on liquid cooling. I regret nothing. :p

I am ready to upgrade though. Nothing has looked like a real upgrade for a long time.
What's funny is that this won't be a worthy gaming upgrade for you still :p
And yet it still doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes. PLX boards to the rescue I guess.
40 PCI-E 3.0 lanes is not enough? In what awesome, glorious world do you live?
i was about to build a new pc, I guess will wait for this
Unless you're looking to drop some serious cash, or have a specific use for the extra cores (gaming cares not), you're probably better off with standard Haswell.

Last a decade like it'll be playing games in a decade, or playing games at max quality in a decade? Hard to believe the latter...

Last a decade like it'll be playing games in a decade, or playing games at max quality in a decade? Hard to believe the latter...

cpu performance increases have pretty much grinded to a halt in the last 3 years (thanks to zero competition from amd)
if you get an 8 core intel cpu now it's twice as fast as the quad core versions (theoretically in well threaded games)

It's going to be a while before intel release mainstream i5s with 8 cores and at the current rate it'll take many years for performance of a quad core i5 to double

since there is no progress in cpu land (and the new consoles have pityfully weak cpus less than a quarter of the performance of the 8 core haswell E at stock) games won't be designed with faster cpus in mind for a good few years to come

sirap

Same here, folks at the titanfall performance thread have been grilling me for not upgrading the 920. Will probably pick up the 8 core version and pick up another 2 titans to complete the set.

mkenyon

Banned
cpu performance increases have pretty much grinded to a halt in the last 3 years (thanks to zero competition from amd)
if you get an 8 core intel cpu now it's twice as fast as the quad core versions (theoretically in well threaded games)

It's going to be a while before intel release mainstream i5s with 8 cores and at the current rate it'll take many years for performance of a quad core i5 to double

since there is no progress in cpu land (and the new consoles have pityfully weak cpus less than a quarter of the performance of the 8 core haswell E at stock) games won't be designed with faster cpus in mind for a good few years to come
6-10% every single year is pretty fucking good.

Each new one that is released doesn't seem significant, but go back 3 generations, and you see a 20% boost in IPC.

You also get a drastic reduction in power with the newer stuff compared to older parts. Lots of tech dedicated to the laptop space. 10 hour laptops with real processors? That's awesome stuff.

Tablo

The six core is around the price of the 4770K. That is very tempting, motherboards and RAM will be pricey though. And dat soldered heatspreader...
Ooh man why do I feel so hot right now...

mkenyon

Banned
The six core is around the price of the 4770K. That is very tempting, motherboards and RAM will be pricey though. And dat soldered heatspreader...
Ooh man why do I feel so hot right now...
Probably the on-die VRM. Sure seems to make it extra toasty. :p

prophecy0

Like many other posters in this thread, I'm thinking it may finally be time to upgrade from my i7 920. I dropped a ton cash on Nehalem back in 2009 but it turned out to be a great investment.

My decision to purchase AMD stock at ~$9 back in 2010 looks worse all the time. Still a fan of the company, but Intel is taking their lunch money.

Top Bottom