• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haswell-E Launching Q2 - Ahead of Schedule

neptunes

Wouldn't this CPU class be considered overkill for gaming for the next 7 years?

How many games effectively utilize multi-threading? To really take advantage of this advancement?

My decision to purchase AMD stock at ~$9 back in 2010 looks worse all the time. Still a fan of the company, but Intel is taking their lunch money.

Buying stock should be based solely on whether you think it will make you money or not. Buying stock for any other reason is a very bad idea, as those idiots who thought they could support Blackberry by buying stock have discovered.

Renekton

Wouldn't this CPU class be considered overkill for gaming for the next 7 years?

How many games effectively utilize multi-threading? To take really take advantage of this advancement?
So far Cryengine (4th gen) and Frostbite 3 will make good use of your available threads.

Are you looking forward to any game using those engines?

Buying stock should be based solely on whether you think it will make you money or not. Buying stock for any other reason is a very bad idea, as those idiots who thought they could support Blackberry by buying stock have discovered.

Well I won't deny I was an idiot at the time (I've since learned better), but in my defense they had tended to trade at between $15 and $20 prior to then.

Ty4on

22nm

According to OC reports, 4930K hit the wall pretty fast, of course YMMV depending on luck.

Haswell-E will supposedly have better OC headroom than IB-E due to soldered on heat-spreaders instead of TIM.

But Ivy-E was also soldered on :/

I just remembered the reviewers saying Ivy-E overclocked like Sandy-E.

Edit: Nice to see so many ITX fans here. Let's hope there will be LGA 2011-3 ITX boards coming. Someone ought to fit four memory modules on it and a single 40x PCI-e slots would be useful :p

Edit2: *post below* Haha, in this day and age a dual core is almost overkill for that. The only thing I need for browsing the web is a lot of RAM.
Edit again, didn't read about gaming...

Panzon

Looks like I have time to save up even more and be able to get this. 8 core sounds glorious but Im not sure it's worth it for someone like me who only does basic things on a PC like gaming, web, movies, etc.

Looks like I have time to save up even more and be able to get this. 8 core sounds glorious but Im not sure it's worth it for someone like me who only does basic things on a PC like gaming, web, movies, etc.

I though the same thing, but if it means I don't have to upgrade for ~7 years, I'll lay down the cash.

rrs

Not really, I can see using my 2500K for many more years unless games really begin to eat CPUs alive.

I though the same thing, but if it means I don't have to upgrade for ~7 years, I'll lay down the cash.

I'd say longer than 7 years on it, but getting in on the first prosumer DDR4 chipset is something noteworthy.

Now I'll get a chance to see how things work out with motherboards/CPU/DDR4 early for the Haswell E/20nm Maxwell monster I plan on spending stupid money this year.

Panzon

Not really, I can see using my 2500K for many more years unless games really begin to eat CPUs alive.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. Im assuming Haswell-E will give me more of a security blanket for some years to come (regardless of how powerful games become) and I welcome that with wide open arms. I'm itching to build a decent rig but I don't wanna impulse buy and regret it later on

Guess I'll be holding off on my Mac Pro purchase until they put the Haswell-E CPUs in.

I'll be getting it for music production and sound mixing so I will definitely get use out of an 8 core monster CPU.

I'm gonna feel like a real jackass if I pick this up, and next year we get those post-silicon CPUs that Intel was talking about back in 2009 that just dumps all over this one. Based on what they said then, it should be coming out in the next couple years.

SparkTR

I'm gonna feel like a real jackass if I pick this up, and next year we get those post-silicon CPUs that Intel was talking about back in 2009 that just dumps all over this one. Based on what they said then, it should be coming out in the next couple years.

There's always something on the horizon. GDDR6 is going to be a thing soon enough, not going to stop me buying an 880.

I'm drooling. Get me some of that!

There's always something on the horizon. GDDR6 is going to be a thing soon enough, not going to stop me buying an 880.

Oh I know, I was mostly kidding. I usually never wait for upgrades because I'd be waiting forever. My disappointment would come from getting a bitching processor like the 8-core, and then immediately miss out on the next paradigm shift in computing.

But I'm still totally getting the 8 core.

Guess I'll be holding off on my Mac Pro purchase until they put the Haswell-E CPUs in.

I'll be getting it for music production and sound mixing so I will definitely get use out of an 8 core monster CPU.

I'm trying to imagine what encoding a video will be like with 8 cores of Haswell on the job.

SmartBase

I thought the non-K models were due in Q2 and then the real processors in Q3. Guess it's time to start putting a price on one of my kidneys so I can swap it for that sweet DDR4.

Dennis

Banned
I have been waiting for the 8-cores.

Late 2014 may be a good time to get a new PC with 8-cores and the new Nvidia 20 nm Maxwells.

6-10% every single year is pretty fucking good.

Each new one that is released doesn't seem significant, but go back 3 generations, and you see a 20% boost in IPC.

You also get a drastic reduction in power with the newer stuff compared to older parts. Lots of tech dedicated to the laptop space. 10 hour laptops with real processors? That's awesome stuff.
20 percent in 3 years in hardware land is pathetic

I couldn't care less about power efficient laptops

luffeN

Late 2014 may be a good time to get a new PC with 8-cores and the new Nvidia 20 nm Maxwells.

I currently have an i5 2500K @ 4,2 GHz and a Radeon 6950 with 2048 MB. Is late 2014 a good time to update for me? The only demanding game I currently want to play is The Witcher 3, but that was postponed to Feb 2015.

riflen

I don't know that Apple ever use the E CPUs from Intel do they? The Mac Pros use Xeon CPUs which are probably more appropriate. Apple have no other product that the E CPUs would be a good fit for.

Azulsky

Hype thread go!

Looks kewl, but inb4 8 core part is 1k :(

Bigger question is the timeline for Xeon to jump on the DDR4 bandwagon.

So that Haswell only steambox is becoming a competitor in the living room? I wonder if you can cross-farm these theoretical boxes via LAN party to boost capabilities?

Azulsky

I've only just invested in an i5 4670k so I take it upgrading probably will be pintless until the 14nm die shrink?

Unless we see some major multithreading in games, or if you need dem cores to sleep soundly at night then yeah.

Isnt much of the Haswell heat caused by VRM being moved onto the die. Is that moved back to the motherboard for Haswell E

Bor

Neo Member
I currently have an i5 2500K @ 4,2 GHz and a Radeon 6950 with 2048 MB. Is late 2014 a good time to update for me? The only demanding game I currently want to play is The Witcher 3, but that was postponed to Feb 2015.
Just look at those New Batman screens. It apparently comes out in october and if it really lookes like that in game i highly doubt your system is strong enough

luffeN

Just look at those New Batman screens. It apparently comes out in october and if it really lookes like that in game i highly doubt your system is strong enough

Can also be played on the PS4 I guess. I don't know if it is good right now to upgrade the graphics card and then later do the rest?

The day I replace my 4.2Ghz Core I7 930 is the day it dies... or the day when my processor becomes the main limiting factor in me achieving 60fps. That day has yet to come for any of the titles I play luckily.

Given what we have seen with 28nm Maxwell... I think we will be in for a treat when 20nm Full maxwell comes out.

rrs

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. Im assuming Haswell-E will give me more of a security blanket for some years to come (regardless of how powerful games become) and I welcome that with wide open arms. I'm itching to build a decent rig but I don't wanna impulse buy and regret it later on

Even if it does, it could be countered with a high end consumer CPU most likely while Haswell-E could be more or less overkill.

FACE

Banned
8 cores?!

smP1AE1.png

Mac Pros use Xeon processors, not Ivy Bridge E. Xeon is always a year behind, so I wouldn't wait.

Xtars

Wow these sound awesome.

I just like many others in this thread is still rocking the good ol' i7-920. However it's really starting to show it's age and I want a good upgrade and this seems to be it.

However what do they mean by the heat spreader will be soldered on???

Also these CPUs seems to be quite future proof as well since they come with a lot of new tech like DDR4 and the extra cores. I just hope that I can get a good kit (CPU, RAM, MoBo) for around $1000.

Can we expect lower clock speeds because of the increase in cores? Clock for clock how do these compare to the consumer Haswell line?

It wouldn't surprise me, at least. The 6-core might be the sweet spot, or something.

Yeah, waiting for Haswell Xeons was always the right decision. DDR4 plus more PCI-e lanes will take care of some of the Mac Pro's few problems.

cpu performance increases have pretty much grinded to a halt in the last 3 years (thanks to zero competition from amd)
if you get an 8 core intel cpu now it's twice as fast as the quad core versions (theoretically in well threaded games)

It's going to be a while before intel release mainstream i5s with 8 cores and at the current rate it'll take many years for performance of a quad core i5 to double

since there is no progress in cpu land (and the new consoles have pityfully weak cpus less than a quarter of the performance of the 8 core haswell E at stock) games won't be designed with faster cpus in mind for a good few years to come
I'm personally thinking Skylake is going to be telling as far as if we're going to see another big performance improvement in a while, or just more and more ~5% performance improvements and power reduction.

I'm assuming there will be no ITX motherboards, but I'm guessing any -E architecture is a complete waste if you're only using a single GPU.

mhayze

I'm hoping that DDR4 doesn't turn out to be a reason not to buy haswell-e at launch. It could be expensive, scarce and have compatibility / validation issues.

I'm hoping that DDR4 doesn't turn out to be a reason not to buy haswell-e at launch. It could be expensive, scarce and have compatibility / validation issues.

If DDR2->DDR3 is anything to compare it will be slower and more expensive then top DDR3 ram.

Top Bottom