• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction February Comic Book Club |OT| Everything Awful, Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Cy6opRT.png

Starting on Monday, February 1st, ComicGAF invites everyone to join us while we discuss and re-visit one of the greatest works of modern fiction to release in the past ten years. Written by Matt Fraction and drawn by the talented David Aja, Javier Pulido, and Annie Wu, Hawkeye is an incredibly heart warming and charming book that can relate to anyone. This is a huge event that you won't want to miss, and we hope that you will consider experiencing this title with us. We will be reading 5 issues per week, with daily discussion of each issue, and a weekend round-up for those who need to catch up and we will discuss everything we have read. Throughout the duration of the event, I will post interviews, and concept art of un-used material for the book, and we can discuss what could have been and the hurdles that the book went through.

Our Unlikely Heroes

Clint Barton a.k.a. Hawkeye

KtFxvGA.png

Hawkeye a.k.a. Kate Bishop

MRsC8JN.png

Pizza Dog

L5px0vQ.jpg

How to read

Hawkeye is a 22 issue series that has been collected in almost every format possible. Own the singles? Awesome! If you don't here are some of the ways you can own the complete series:

Paperback

Vol 1: My Life As A Weapon

16002136.jpg

Vol 2: Little Hits

41wAwWeV87L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Vol 3: L.A. Woman

51xQEiSLZHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Vol 4: Rio Bravo

51b9Ew-G37L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

All of these can be purchased for $60 via Amazon.com. You can find it for cheaper on www.instocktrades.com , but you are unlikely to receive your package by February 1st.

Harcover

Hawkeye Vol 1 Hardcover

Direct Link

51KCo2qydmL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hawkeye Vol 2 Hardcover

Direct Link

51UQ0DmWEcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Omnibus

Direct Link

This is how I will be reading the book. If you are new to Hawkeye, or new to comics in general, I do not think this is the best way for you to read. Marvel price gouged on this omnibus based on the popularity of the story, and charged near $100 MSRP for the book. I managed to get it for $60 on www.instocktrades.com a few weeks ago when I knew I was going to make this thread. Once again, you can still get it cheaper on there, but you are not guaranteed to have it arrive on time.

Bro, I hope that you will join us in our first ever Comic Reading Club, bro. I think you would have a good time, bro.

Bro.

More updates to come. Under construction.

Messi

Are you going to be reading All New Hawkeye? I like the focus in that story being on Kate over Clint.

Zombine

Banned
Are you going to be reading All New Hawkeye? I like the focus in that story being on Kate over Clint.

No because I like good comics and don't want these poor people who enjoy this to cry.

Truth is, it can possibly be overtime if people want to keep going.

Zombine

Banned
What a coincidence, I started re-reading this yesterday! The first chapters are amazing, love Aja's work.

Aja's issues are stunning, and Annie's are absolutely beautiful. I don't hate Pulido's issues like other people do, but I'm a huge fan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
All of Hawkeye is up on Unlimited afaik, so I will happily join in for this book club.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You're a godsend. ComicGAF was unable to confirm if this was finished on MCU or not.

Just checked. All 22 issues are up.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Unlimited is generally only 6 months behind, with a few exceptions (like Thunderbolts).

thetrin

BTW, what's the structure? Are we discussing every chunk of 5 issues starting at a specific deadline, or...?

Pau

Damn, I'm such a sucker for omnibuses but I already have the first volume in TPB. And it probably won't be reprinted...

Zombine

Banned
BTW, what's the structure? Are we discussing every chunk of 5 issues starting at a specific deadline, or...?

I'll flesh that part out tomorrow. It's one issue a day with discussion of that issue on that day. The weekends are discussion of all 5 issues and catch up for people that didn't finish their 5 during the week. That way everyone is included.

Zombine

Banned
I'm jelly for those who haven't read it yet. Not only do they get to experience the book fresh, but they don't have to wait 8 months between issues.

Lol.

Ultima_5

I remmeber the gaf thread telling me to read it in my last semester of college. I just now finished reading it when the second HC came out. That was like two years ago

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
TPUEBqs.png

Washed my hands of comics a couple years ago and stopped halfway into this run but it was one of my favs at the time. One of the ones I've been meaning to go back and finish.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was just curious if anybody involved with this book gave an explanation for the change in cover color palette from purple to red halfway thru?

RaoulDuke

just started re-reading this on unlimited the other day. not sure if i actually finished it, i cant remember much past the Kate in LA issues.

it really is one of the best comics.

after this we should do the Fraction Iron fist run

besada

Banned
These books might be the best run of all time. I dunno. That's big praise, and maybe it's too soon to tell, but I love what they did here. They took a character I was pretty tired of, and never particularly loved, and made him one of my favorites. And they did it in a cool, funny, serious, book with so much heart it's just bursting off the page. It simultanously makes fun of comics and itself, while showcasing the medium by doing things no other medium can reproduce.

Also, pizza dog.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Good thread, bro. I just remembered that I still have to end this run since I got bored out of my tits from waiting half a year between issues.

Time to dig in again and start creeping.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm in, BRO!

What reading order are we using? I think I remember the softcovers change it up by separating the last two storylines that were published interlocked in the single issues.

EDIT : What I am saying is, the third trades has the annual and then issues #14, #16, #18, #20 while the fourth trade includes issues #17, #12-#13, #15, #19, #21-22. I don't know how the others collected editions handle so it might be something worth clarifying. I'm fine either way really.
In before the Slayven hate.
Slay hates Fraction's Hawkguy? I think he hates Squirrel Girl too. Damn Slay, what's wrong with you? You're a solid dude most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom