• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction February Comic Book Club |OT| Everything Awful, Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSherrod

I'm in, BRO!

What reading order are we using? I think I remember the softcovers change it up by separating the last two storylines that were published interlocked in the single issues.

EDIT : What I am saying is, the third trades has the annual and then issues #14, #16, #18, #20 while the fourth trade includes issues #17, #12-#13, #15, #19, #21-22. I don't know how the others collected editions handle so it might be something worth clarifying. I'm fine either way really.

Slay hates Fraction's Hawkguy? I think he hates Squirrel Girl too. Damn Slay, what's wrong with you? You're a solid dude most of the time.

This is a good question, I think I read the book in the crazy reading order. It really does live up to the hype, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Slay hates Fraction's Hawkguy? I think he hates Squirrel Girl too. Damn Slay, what's wrong with you? You're a solid dude most of the time.

I actually don't like most of Fraction's stuff, so I don't blame him. I've heard great things though, so I'm in.

Acidote

So, is this run still being published or is it finished and thus the several editions? I don't buy ongoing comics. Learnt that lesson from Spanish publishers. How is it for someone who has never read Hawkeye?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, is this run still being published or is it done and thus the several editions? How is it for someone who has never read Hawkeye?

You can buy it in the following collections:

As a Omnibus

Collected in Two OHCs: Vol.1 Vol.2

Collected in four Trades: Vol.1 Vol. 2 Vol.3 Vol.4
Or digital: Link

After this you can continue, but the Fraction Run is over.
It reads very well when you never read Hawkeye before. Its not very Continuity-heavy, you dont even have to know much about the Marvel Comic Universe. You only have to know that Clint is a guy who is good at shooting.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So, is this run still being published or is it finished and thus the several editions? I don't buy ongoing comics. Learnt that lesson from Spanish publishers. How is it for someone who has never read Hawkeye?
The run is finished and doesn't assume much knowledge of the Marvel universe from the reader.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

it is complete and the story is almost 100% self-contained, which is why it makes for a great book club series

Slayven

I'm in, BRO!

What reading order are we using? I think I remember the softcovers change it up by separating the last two storylines that were published interlocked in the single issues.

EDIT : What I am saying is, the third trades has the annual and then issues #14, #16, #18, #20 while the fourth trade includes issues #17, #12-#13, #15, #19, #21-22. I don't know how the others collected editions handle so it might be something worth clarifying. I'm fine either way really.

I just don't like comics written for the meme, the previous Hawkeye series is superior.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just don't like comics written for the meme, the previous Hawkeye series is superior.

You don't like comics written for the meme and you don't like Lobo because he's a joke character, yet there you are, stanning for that C-tier Moonknight trash.

See yourself out, Slay.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
But "memes" aren't the only thing happening in the series though.

Who was writing the series before btw? I'll probably check it out.

Rooster12

Cy6opRT.png

Starting on Monday, February 1st, ComicGAF invites everyone to join us while we discuss and re-visit one of the greatest works of modern fiction to release in the past ten years. .[/SPOILER]

The fuck?

Slayven

You don't like comics written for the meme and you don't like Lobo because he's a joke character, yet there you are, stanning for that C-tier Moonknight trash.

See yourself out, Slay.
Never cared for Moonknight. Always was a Devil Slayer fan, if we are talking about humans
But "memes" aren't the only thing happening in the series though.

Who was writing the series before btw? I'll probably check it out.

The god Fabian Nicieza

590998-0430505b_7bc6_4ee7_94ce_7fc53b8ea02c.jpg

Rooster12

They took a character I was pretty tired of, and never particularly loved, and made him one of my favorites. And they did it in a cool, funny, serious, book with so much heart it's just bursting off the page. It simultanously makes fun of comics and itself, while showcasing the medium by doing things no other medium can reproduce.

Fraction's Hawkeye is a normal, clumsy guy with a bow. Except that's not Hawkeye. He's extremely skilled, and very prepared, he was the leader of the West Coast Avengers, Thunderbolts etc... The way he wrote him, he was pretty much a completely different character, might as well just call him something else. And after a few issues I was sick of Kate Bishop, god she was annoying.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And after a few issues I was sick of Kate Bishop, god she was annoying.

Whaaaat?

I admit that I found her relationship to Clint insanely creepy, because for me she is still the 16 year old girl from Young Avengers who is supposed to date Patriot, but she was one of the best parts.

<3

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/

I use cheapgraphicnovels.com. They have good prices and flat rate shipping.

Instocktrades.com is a little less expensive, but it depends on how many books you buy. You gotta spend $50 at IST for free shipping (a small task, i can assure you). There's a certain value point where CGN comes out less expensive. However, for DC and Image stuff, as of right now, IST is way less expensive since their stuff is 45-50% off. Doesn't really apply for Hawkeye, but fwiw.

VanWinkle

<3

Instocktrades.com is a little less expensive, but it depends on how many books you buy. You gotta spend $50 at IST for free shipping (a small task, i can assure you). There's a certain value point where CGN comes out less expensive. However, for DC and Image stuff, as of right now, IST is way less expensive since their stuff is 45-50% off. Doesn't really apply for Hawkeye, but fwiw.

I think even the pre-$50 shipping rate for IST is a good bit cheaper than CGN's, IIRC.

Edit: Yeah, IST rate is $4 flat until $50, at which point it's free, whereas CGN is a flat $7.99 no matter how much you buy.

I think even the pre-$50 shipping rate for IST is a good bit cheaper than CGN's, IIRC.

Edit: Yeah, IST rate is $4 flat until $50, at which point it's free, whereas CGN is a flat $7.99 no matter how much you buy.

I should have mentioned that. Plus, it's like a few dollars ($2 or even free if it weighs enough, I believe) to upgrade to FedEx. I prefer IST overall. It suits my needs better.

Been meaning to do a re-read of the series as it seriously was the one that got me back into reading a comic series in a long time. Haven't had much success with reading more stuff, but I feel that this series has kinda spoiled me on anything else.

Got all my first-run floppies so let's do this!

Also, it's good to be back Bro.

Teggy

Does this book spoil stuff in the larger Marvel universe? I've been itching to read this book for a while (could you guess?) but I am still in the midst of very slowly catching up with Marvel, having started around Decimation and now towards the end of AvsX, where this book started.

DemiMatt

I've been meaning to get vol 2 HC. Vol 1 HC was so good, Fraction has great character stories.

No reason to get the Omnibus over both HCs right?

VanWinkle

I've been meaning to get vol 2 HC. Vol 1 HC was so good, Fraction has great character stories.

No reason to get the Omnibus over both HCs right?

Correct. Exact same content for over twice the price most places. Oversized hardvover versions are the way to go.

DemiMatt

Correct. Exact same content for over twice the price most places. Oversized hardvover versions are the way to go.

Vol 2 here I come!

I love Omnibus' but they are very cumbersome to read. I feel the Oversizzed HCs are definitely the best & usually you can find them pretty cheap.

besada

Banned
Fraction's Hawkeye is a normal, clumsy guy with a bow. Except that's not Hawkeye. He's extremely skilled, and very prepared, he was the leader of the West Coast Avengers, Thunderbolts etc... The way he wrote him, he was pretty much a completely different character, might as well just call him something else. And after a few issues I was sick of Kate Bishop, god she was annoying.
I basically disagree with everything you said here, and if you think Fraction's Hawkeye is a just a clumsy guy with a bow, I have to think you didn't read the run very carefully.
The two Hawkeye's infiltrate and fight off an entire hotel's worth of Marvel's biggest criminals, and kick all sorts of ass throughout the rest of the series.
This Hawkeye, though, is actually a human being, who gets hurt, has feelings, and character flaws that don't vanish when they're inopportune.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I am super excited about this. Fraction's Hawkeye is pretty much the reason why I read comic books today. I had off and on periods where I tried to start reading. In fact, one of the few threads I ever started was asking about Marvel Knights Spider-Man like a decade ago, but it was nothing I ever sustained. I would read for a few weeks and grow bored and move on to one of my other hobbies.

Honestly, looking back, I am not even sure what got me to try out the first issue. Hawkeye isn't a character I ever gave a shit about before. His joke of an old costume would have prevented me from even giving more than a glance at his books before. It might have been that first cover by Aja. It just drew my eye, combined with me wanting to try out Comixology on my original Amazon Fire.

After I read that first issue, I have been hooked ever since. I have Marvel Unlimited, I buy stuff on Comixology sales, I even buy new issues (digitally) the day they come out. It is weird to me even now that it wasn't a hobby that I developed until my late 20s. But here I am reading the good; Ms. Marvel, Vision, Batman, Lazarus, Manhattan Projects, and even the bad; Civil War and the entire Ultimate Universe (although there was a lot of good before Jeph Loeb shit all over everything) just to better understand people's jokes and experiences.

I can't say I will post regularly (due to my general posting habits), but I love this thread and hope it convinces a people to give the series, or even comics as a whole, a chance.

Hawkeye vs Deadpool was pretty decent too, much better than I was expecting. Takes place during the Fraction run and has both Hawkguys in it. Some of my favorite Katie Kate panels were in it.

Her Halloween costume was fucking ace

Zombine

Banned
It's going to be a few days, so enjoy some concept art:

tumblr_m6ls90Nmmf1rwk3plo1_1280.jpg

Clint's face actually looks quite different from what Aja eventually went with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom