• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction February Comic Book Club |OT| Everything Awful, Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Man I'm bad at book clubs. In theory I would've posted some thoughts while I was going through, but it slipped my mind and now I've finished it. But yeah, really enjoyed it. I had actually read all but the last 4 or so issues in the past, but I did find some new appreciation for some of the chapters this time around just by reading everything together. In particular, I actually didn't initially like the Pizza Dog issue that much, but now I actually really like how it kind of exists as a nonlinear tie in to the other issues and actually pulls into the events of future issues as well.

The one question I did have is did the
whole thing with the villains being like "yes, we're all agreed to kill the Hawkeyes"
at the end ever lead anywhere? Seems like a weird plot thread to throw out there if you don't intend to do anything with it, so I was curious if it ever got used in another book or something.

With you there Boogie. I jumped ahead and read more then the 3rd quarter of the run this week. I actually finished it, mainly because I hadn't read #21 and #22 before. (My MU sub ended before they came out).

The third quarter always felt a little weak, with the excessive bro meme usage. And #17 (Winter Friends) was a particularly disappointing issue. It expanded on the bro meme, was unfunny and kept whacking you over the head with what it was trying to say.

But I think the reordering in the OHC helped quite a bit. There was more of the non-linear gimmick but it better depicted the continuity and kept the Kate and Clint issues fairly parallel. The tension built up quite nicely and everything tied together till #21 and #22, which were a great wrap up. (esp with Barney :D)

The one question I did have is did the
whole thing with the villains being like "yes, we're all agreed to kill the Hawkeyes"
at the end ever lead anywhere? Seems like a weird plot thread to throw out there if you don't intend to do anything with it, so I was curious if it ever got used in another book or something.

I think that was Fraction setting up a nice segue into a Kate Bishop Hawkeye series. Clint's character arc came to a satisfying conclusion and we would have gotten a nice series of Kate dealing with her father.

But instead, I hear we get

Sklto2N.png

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Issue #19 is the sign language Issue, which won a Eisner Award. Maybe its deserved because of the idea, but they didnt even included translations, so I felt really lost - Which most likely was the point of it, but still.

Issue #20 ends Kates Adventures in Los Angeles and the whole thing kinda concludes in nothing. Its even literally said that its a metaphor but I am to stupid to understand what it all means.
Still, I liked the gay couple and her part was cool. Would have been cool if we really got this Kate series.

Issue #21is where the siege on Clints building starts. A lot of action, good art.

Issue #22
The Last Issue.

OH MY FUCKING GOD, THIS ISSUE IS SO FUCKING AMAZING. SO MUCH TENSION AND GREAT ACTION!
Seriously. The best issue of the run. I loved it. Everytime Aja is on the book Fraction changes his style and the book could be an Tarantino movie. Its fucking amazing!

(Curses in polish)

Cant wait for our Superior Foes of Spider-Man run.

KodaRuss

Been kicking around the idea of getting this book (First one or the entire series) for a while now. Is the book set worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom