• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction February Comic Book Club |OT| Everything Awful, Bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeaykay

The only panel design that didn't really vibe with me was this (the "well that's cool" thing):

IMAG0403.jpg

But maybe somebody here can explain to me why he paneled it this way. To me it seemed an unnecessarily convoluted way to present the dialogue, but it's possible I'm missing something.

I don't have the issue in front of me for context but I believe it's meant to give you a sense of how long it takes for him to prep and shoot an arrow, and also how he's mainly focused on the target but is still vaguely listening to Kate.

I don't have the issue in front of me for context but I believe it's meant to give you a sense of how long it takes for him to prep and shoot an arrow, and also how he's mainly focused on the target but is still vaguely listening to Kate.

But I feel it doesn't put that across well. Maybe better lettering would have helped. Maybe a continuous stretched word? Or the lettering going down in font size as the word progresses? The problem I think is that Kate's panels are split from before the action and after. The panel flow does not indicate the concurrency. As it is, it looks like a weird Warhol installation.

Or maybe he was just going for a film perforation effect, with the center being five frames to indicate how quickly Hawkeye draws and shoots.

VanWinkle

But I feel it doesn't put that across well. Maybe better lettering would have helped. Maybe a continuous stretched word? Or the lettering going down in font size as the word progresses? The problem I think is that Kate's panels are split from before the action and after. The panel flow does not indicate the concurrency. As it is, it looks like a weird Warhol installation.

Or maybe he was just going for a film perforation effect, with the center being five frames to indicate how quickly Hawkeye draws and shoots.

That's possible. Still kind of a miss to me. Not a big deal, though.

Zombine

Banned
Total idiot. As I read #2 Clint explicitly says that it's vagabond code. At least he didn't say what it meant but I did!

Edit: #2 is one of the highlights of this book for me. I genuinely enjoyed the first page callback to the first page of issue #1. The costume design is out of this freaking WORLD in #2. The getup that Kate wears is freaking rad, and I love all of the facial expressions that Aja draws in this one. Specifically some of the faces that the magician makes. I also enjoy how this issue highlights what a fool Clint is, and how regardless of how well his intentions may be, he manages to get himself involved in something that would have played out for the best naturally without his inclusion. All he manages to accomplish in this is getting Kate shot, and putting an even bigger mark on his head which eventually comes back to haunt him and the people he cares about the most. Really get quite a few Breaking Bad vibes from this series. Clint believes that he's doing the right thing, but in reality he just enjoys the chase and starts to dig himself into an even deeper hole that he can barely get out of.

Hawkeye #2 is the official introduction of Kate into this series. I knew relatively little about Hawkeye before reading this, let alone that he had a pseudo-sidekick, nor that Kate had at some point donned the costume. So, this was a great introduction to the character. I really love the dichotomy between the two characters, and Fraction basically establishes that this book is about the two Hawkeyes, not just Clint. Kate is a much less polished hero, even though she has some real skill with the bow. Also, Kate is really this smart-alecky foil to Clint's general cluelessness, and it works really well.

There's some great paneling all around here. They got really creative with some of the sequences. I especially like one of the last pages where Clint and Kate are talking on the phone with a bunch of smaller panels in between the bigger corner ones.

Also, yes, the vagabond code came up. Before coming in here today, I was going to point that out. lol

Teggy

Woo, we have Kate! Love her portrayal in this book so far.

Are there other Marvel books where Fraction uses this writing style? I've read a lot of Sex Criminals which has a lot of the same irreverent style, but from a Marvel perspective I think the only other Fraction material I've read is Fear Itself, which is pretty standard convoluted superhero stuff. I know he's done books with Iron Man, Iron Fist and Fantastic Four.

Woo, we have Kate! Love her portrayal in this book so far.

Are there other Marvel books where Fraction uses this writing style? I've read a lot of Sex Criminals which has a lot of the same irreverent style, but from a Marvel perspective I think the only other Fraction material I've read is Fear Itself, which is pretty standard convoluted superhero stuff. I know he's done books with Iron Man, Iron Fist and Fantastic Four.

Iron Man is irreverent, sorta, but it's not in this tongue-in-cheek kind of way. However, it incorporates a lot of the movies in that and makes Stark more likable. Overall, from what I read, it's really good, but don't expect anything like Hawkeye or SexCrims.

VanWinkle

Just read #4 and #5. Had a little two-part story about an assassination tape getting out. It was interesting. I enjoyed the adventure, but I have to admit I kept thinking the whole time about how much I missed the normal artist. It wasn't bad or anything and I'd probably think it's fine in its own series, but I still felt like it was a big step down.

Regardless of my qualms with the art in these two issues, I like the story, and I'm enjoying the relationship between Clint and Kate. They play off each other well.

VanWinkle

Haha. I was speaking strictly about the fill-in artist for these two issues, though. Everything else is great thus far. Only other thing I'm not COMPLETELY sold on is the constant "Okay. This looks bad." but it's obviously an intentional constant from the writer. It could be one of those things that, by the end, I'll love it.

Haha. I was speaking strictly about the fill-in artist for these two issues, though. Everything else is great thus far. Only other thing I'm not COMPLETELY sold on is the constant "Okay. This looks bad." but it's obviously an intentional constant from the writer. It could be one of those things that, by the end, I'll love it.

Yeah, I'm talking about Pulido. I'm a fan of his and I think his art is in step with this series, in particular, but that's just my opinion. I understand it can be jarring seeing two different art-styles from one issue to another; it happens to me often, actually. But Aja to Pulido isn't one of those cases for me.

Teggy

As much as I love Kate, the fact that she is an archer rivaling Clint is really very silly. IIRC from the original Young Avengers books, she was the only non-powered member of the group and primarily there for her money. She chose the bow because she found it at the destroyed Avengers Manor and because she had done a little archery in sleep away camp or something.

VanWinkle

Yeah, I'm talking about Pulido. I'm a fan of his and I think his art is in step with this series, in particular, but that's just my opinion. I understand it can be jarring seeing two different art-styles from one issue to another; it happens to me often, actually. But Aja to Pulido isn't one of those cases for me.

It was mostly that I had just gotten used to the realistic art style that Aja does, whereas the fill-in artist was a little more stylized, a little Tim Sale-esque. I missed the thick lines, realistic proportions, and excellent expressions from Aja. But, yeah, the art in these wasn't BAD; I just didn't want it after getting used to the regular style, haha.

As much as I love Kate, the fact that she is an archer rivaling Clint is really very silly. IIRC from the original Young Avengers books, she was the only non-powered member of the group and primarily there for her money. She chose the bow because she found it at the destroyed Avengers Manor and because she had done a little archery in sleep away camp or something.

I would not say she rivals Clint in any way. She's good, but obviously Clint has way more experience.

Teggy

I would not say she rivals Clint in any way. She's good, but obviously Clint has way more experience.

I mean, at the end of issue 2 she shoots 4 arrows simultaneously while falling backward and hits each henchmen in their eyeballs. I think that's more than "good".

EDIT: yeah, I just looked it up her explanation for knowing how to shoot was having done it every summer at music camp lol

Zombine

Banned
Just finished #3, and I have to say that the first three issues of Hawkeye are three of the strongest I think I've ever read in the medium. The vehicular carnage in this issue is gorgeous, and I particularly love getting to see all of Clint's arrows get put to use.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished #3, and I have to say that the first three issues of Hawkeye are three of the strongest I think I've ever read in the medium. The vehicular carnage in this issue is gorgeous, and I particularly love getting to see all of Clint's arrows get put to use.

I have only read the first half of the series, but I think its the best Issue. Loved all the different Trick-Arrows and the chase.
Great book. Fraction should make a book about car chases.

Each of his trick arrows was like revisiting archer superhero moments where they were used. They were missing the boxing glove arrow, though that's probably a GA trademark at this point, but each of those trick arrows are what you'd expect from an archer hero - then Fraction puts his spin on them. I think the boomerang arrow was his creation, though, which is so damn silly, but amazing.

This issue kind of also drove it home that Clint is a beyond-repair fuck-up. He barely has an idea what unless he's got a bow and arrow in his hands. Even then, it's 50-50.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lemire handwaved it with Clint's hearing aid. Fraction/Aja put that in the last issue though, so he just picked it up. Can't come down on him *too* hard.

Well, that's stupid. I actually found it refreshing for Marvel to have the "non-Superpowered" character actually have a throw-back (heh) reference to being disabled and having to deal with it. It actually made me realllllllllllllllly happy to run across that issue in the fourth collection last month. Because I didn't know Fraction and the artist did that so it took me by surprise and then looking around to find out that Hawkeye's story-beat for that happened in the 80's was surprising. I wish Marvel would keep it.

Teggy

#4-#5 felt like a bit of a letdown. I liked the fact that the first stories took place outside of standard Avengers/Shield world.

And now I need to quickly get caught up to the Marvel Now era (I'm about 2 months behind) so I can understand why Nick Fury is black lol.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
#4-#5 felt like a bit of a letdown. I liked the fact that the first stories took place outside of standard Avengers/Shield world.

And now I need to quickly get caught up to the Marvel Now era (I'm about 2 months behind) so I can understand why Nick Fury is black lol.

That's Nick Fury Jr.

Nick Fury is a watcher now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Todays Issue is the storm issue and while the art is quiete eh again, I once more liked far more as I remembered.
The Kate parts were the best.

I kinda liked #4 and #5 as a contrast to the first there issues where they went with a cold open page and then jumped back to a "earlier-in-the-day" kind of story telling. The non-linear cutting in the first issue was a pretty interesting way to open the run (even though the cut from page 14/15 definitely broke the flow for me - the colour scheme broke the beat of having the two parallel events happening at different times of the day). But having a cold opening in #2 and #3 served no reason. At least the rest of the issues were straightforward.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Issue 6 - The Secret Origin of Hawkguy.
Like in this Issue how the panels are arranged. Felt very unusuall. And I like how everything revolves about the Satellite reciver

Issue 7 - One of my favorites, emulates the feel of a romance book. The art is cool.

Issue 8 - Man, I love how Matt writes the Women in this book. My favorite part is the one with Nastasha. But shit, Bobbys parts here are awesome, too.
But why is Jarvis here back, I thought he was a Skrull and the real one was dead?

Hawkeye #2

Probably my favorite cover of the series. Good chapter, can anyone name all these mob bosses, not sure who the lady on the left side is:
q1BC0OY.png

A lot of shades of blue, purple/pink and yellow in this issue. Absolutely loved this visual in the comic:
rOCo3Uq.png

Kind of wished the last fight was longer, just cause I know David Aja can set up a great fight scene. But really it just shows how Clint and Kate were above their level.
qjoTu8y.png

Great line.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Hawkeye #2

Probably my favorite cover of the series. Good chapter, can anyone name all these mob bosses, not sure who the lady on the left side is:
q1BC0OY.png

The Owl - Not sure, I think a member of the Circus of Crime? - Hammerhead - Tombstone - Madame Masque - Kingpin.

I might jump into this.
I was looking at prices on comixology and they were everywhere. It's cheaper to get the individual issues than to get the volume collections. Is there anything in the volumes that are worth reading that I can't get in the individual issues?

VanWinkle

I might jump into this.
I was looking at prices on comixology and they were everywhere. It's cheaper to get the individual issues than to get the volume collections. Is there anything in the volumes that are worth reading that I can't get in the individual issues?

Not really. A few extras but nothing amazing. I would go for the single issues if you're fine with digital (which you seem to be).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In todays Issue we experience the
death of Gill
and the introduction of that Clown-Killer-guys. I like the neon-esque arts in this books, it really glows in the dark, kinda like New York in Kate story.

I dont know how to make to much out of it, it is a very fast read and felt a little bit unsatisfying.
Curious how to the killers relationship to Kate will turn out later.

Next up is the Pizzadog story <3

Edit: So I decided to already read the next issue since its the 11th in half a hour.
Its amazing how much story can be told almost without words. Really great issue, Pizzadog is adorable and I cant wait to see what happens next and why Kate left Clint.

Acidote

I followed Zombine and Funky Papa bros' advice and just finished this last night. It was a great read. Bro. Bro bro bro.

Edit: Funky you a mod now? Puño de hierro tío, sin piedad xD

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Steve and the Dog-Vengers in Issue #11 - The first Issue that I straightout didnt liked.
It just felt a little bit off and was to different. Hope the next one gets better again.

bernardobri

Steve and the Dog-Vengers in Issue #11 - The first Issue that I straightout didnt liked.
It just felt a little bit off and was to different. Hope the next one gets better again.

Oh man, I loved Issue #11. Also is indirectly the reason why I'm no longer just a "member" of this forum.

Wrapped up the first OHC. Issue #11 is great, but reading this in collected form for the second time made me realise how many of the same narrative tics persist through the first 11 issues. 80%+ of the issues have a non-linear storytelling structure. First couple of times, it is interesting. After that it starts to look like a gimmick. Especially that Christmas issue where Clint is taking a break. It adds nothing and makes reading the issue a little bit of a pain.

Hadn't read Young Avengers Presents Hawkeye before. It felt a little out of place. Wonder why it was included.

Teggy

Hadn't read Young Avengers Presents Hawkeye before. It felt a little out of place. Wonder why it was included.

It makes sense to include it, but it really makes the most sense if you read it before this series. It explains why Hawkeye and Hawkguy are good friends.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Bill Barton Issue was cool. Finally realized how Fraction always seeds some hints on something you really understand a couple of issues later.
And Trickshot is a real thing?

Can anyone tell me when to read the annual? I'm up to issue 12 atm. I love how Francanvillas art gives a taste of fresh air. Awesome stuff.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How much I love the Aja Issues. His style is so incredible.

Sooo, I catched up.

The Annual was cool, I like the interactions between Kate and Madame Masque. I actually thought that she was disfiguered, but I guess thas wrong.

In Issue #13 we see the funeral of Grill. Nothing to much happens here, but I fucking love it when Aja draws Black Widow and Spider-Woman.

Issue #14 we see Kate do some detectice work wo get the flowes of a gay couple back. I dunno what it was exactly but I didnt liked that issue that much. I just didnt felt it.

In Issue #15, Aja is back and finally learn whats the plan of the Draculas is. And we are left with a horrible clinthanger...

bernardobri

Issue 13 had a great color palette.

Also, that one quote?
"I didn't want him to be alone."

Right in the feels, man.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In

#17 and #18 we once follow Kates story in LA. Much improvement to the previous Kate Issues.
Shit is getting serious as we see her hunting down a leaked song and the fate lf her detective mentor guy.

Really enjoyed this two issues, even while the first one ended a little bit out of the sudden

Next up is the famous Eisner Award Issue. Bro, yo, Bro. Bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom