• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headset Recommendation

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I am going to buy some headsets in the future to use them on PS5, Switch and PS4, which ones do you recommend?

What I'm looking for are these:

- That have RGB
- Have 3D and Surround Audio.

The ones I currently have and I have liked are the Logitech Spectrum G933, are there similar models?

51kXU3-V88L.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am going to buy some headsets in the future to use them on PS5, Switch and PS4, which ones do you recommend?

What I'm looking for are these:

- That have RGB
- Have 3D and Surround Audio.

The ones I currently have and I have liked are the Logitech Spectrum G933, are there similar models?

51kXU3-V88L.jpg

I had the logitech G933's for a few years for my PC, i think there great... most of the time. But they hit a point and then almost immediately become unwearable and you need to replace them, rather than say a slow degradation.

But not a bad set at all, not as crystal clear my Sennheiser and sound card combo I had prior, but honestly I wanted the sound card gone as they kept failing, and they did the job well for many years as a purely DAC via USB solution.

The RGB is good on them too, really bright compared to my replacement ASUS ROG Theta's or any other headset iv seen.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
hifiman sundara. They're open back so they have great 3d sound since they have a wider soundstage

no RGB though but im sure that's not that important since you won't be able to see it on your head anyways
I knew something like this would be one of the first options and I am skeptical. I think hifi headphones are a scam nowadays.
Overrated, too expensive and just annoying to play with on consoles.
It's a great headphone. low ohm and it will work well... but it's also heavy, no microphone and it's wired.

I recommend just to get something like pulse 3d or similar... gaming brainds All-in-one headsets are really good nowadays.
And 3d audio is totally not a scam if done right. The in-headphones 3d audio is never good. Just software solutions like on ps5 and similar.
For me personally, after trying audiophile gear for years and years... it's a deep pocket hole and a constant chase after imaginary audio quality.

Most headphones sound good now. With wireless gaming headsets you get 96% there... but you are wireless and have nothing to bother about.
Imo, all headphones sound so similar, that features, look, comfort are a deciding factor.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
- That have RGB

Why? Are you going to stare at yourself in the mirror whole playing? Theres is no benefit, visual or otherwise to rgb on headsets unless you go to some party outside to annoying ppl with dat shit.

Anyway Corsair Virtuoso xt i guess has all you need, rgb, wireless, bluetooth, wired, great mic, 3d audio with dolby atmos on PC, etc. or just go to rtings.com and take a look at what they recommend and what might fit your needs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why? Are you going to stare at yourself in the mirror whole playing? Theres is no benefit, visual or otherwise to rgb on headsets unless you go to some party outside to annoying ppl with dat shit.

Anyway Corsair Virtuoso xt i guess has all you need, rgb, wireless, bluetooth, wired, great mic, 3d audio with dolby atmos on PC, etc. or just go to rtings.com and take a look at what they recommend and what might fit your needs.
Why do anything?
Let the man have some fun... not always all the black peripherals. Everything is black and boring nowadays :p
I personally don't get rgb on headset either but each to his own

calistan

hifiman sundara. They're open back so they have great 3d sound since they have a wider soundstage

no RGB though but im sure that's not that important since you won't be able to see it on your head anyways
+1 for the Sundaras. Zero gimmicks, they're way better than any gaming headset. You can still hear everything around you, which is a problem if you're trying to listen in a noisy environment but a benefit if you're waiting for a delivery.

V2zDSDz.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
IK got xm3 for my wife and it's pretty cool.
A bit heavy on the bass and kinda closed sounding but would do the job and generally extremely fun sounding.
Not sure about xm4 and bt. ps5 is ass with bt adapters people say
also pretty good noise cancellation, if the sundaras aren't a great fit the XM4s will be good for if you live somewhere loud

Ryder

I recently bought the steel series nova 7p, they are the upgraded versions to the arctis models.

Got no complaints at all they are comfy and not to expensive.

sigmaZ

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Kuranghi

I just bought the SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (phew), a big reason was the Active Noise Cancelling - annoying PC hum, as its always on even when PS5 gaming, dual connection DAC, so I can have it connected to PC and PS5 at same time and change source with a few clicks and simultaneous Wifi (the DAC) + BT connection.

So I can listen to my phone playing a video or a vinyl record while I play games after everyone is in bed and its got separate volume control from the WiFi connection, thats just way more great than I even imagined. I planned to use the WiFi + BT simultaneous connection to connect to my phone or PC for voicechat with my flatmate/online friends for Diablo 4 but I never thought how it would be awesome for nighttime listening to podcasts/music/youtube while gaming.

Its also powered by USB-C which is nice unless you are using it with an Xbox Series as the USB ports make it never turn off even when the Xbox is in rest/standby mode. On PS5 you can turn the ports off when its in rest/standby mode.

Its comfortable as heck but it does have this ANC nub in each headphone that can touch some peoples ears when the headband is set a certain way, I've ordered a pair of Wicked Cushions 3rd party thicker cushions to solve this issue. They are very expensive so if you don't need some of this stuff theres probably a very similar Arctis in the lineup thats much cheaper as well.

Forget about the RGB, its going to limit your choices too much.

I just bought the SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (phew), a big reason was the Active Noise Cancelling - annoying PC hum, as its always on even when PS5 gaming, dual connection DAC, so I can have it connected to PC and PS5 at same time and change source with a few clicks and simultaneous Wifi (the DAC) + BT connection.

So I can listen to my phone playing a video or a vinyl record while I play games after everyone is in bed and its got separate volume control from the WiFi connection, thats just way more great than I even imagined. I planned to use the WiFi + BT simultaneous connection to connect to my phone or PC for voicechat with my flatmate/online friends for Diablo 4 but I never thought how it would be awesome for nighttime listening to podcasts/music/youtube while gaming.

Its also powered by USB-C which is nice unless you are using it with an Xbox Series as the USB ports make it never turn off even when the Xbox is in rest/standby mode. On PS5 you can turn the ports off when its in rest/standby mode.

Its comfortable as heck but it does have this ANC nub in each headphone that can touch some peoples ears when the headband is set a certain way, I've ordered a pair of Wicked Cushions 3rd party thicker cushions to solve this issue. They are very expensive so if you don't need some of this stuff theres probably a very similar Arctis in the lineup thats much cheaper as well.

Forget about the RGB, its going to limit your choices too much.
The most recent firmware update adds an option to fix this. Used to annoy me they didn't turn off and I would just pull the cable but now it works great and swicthes off with my consoles

-Minsc-

It appears I'm in the market for a new set of headphones. My vacuum cleaner ripped the cord right off them.

Most headphones sound good now. With wireless gaming headsets you get 96% there... but you are wireless and have nothing to bother about.
Imo, all headphones sound so similar, that features, look, comfort are a deciding factor.
I'm debating, wireless or cord? As long as they don't sound like a tin can or sound scratchy then I'm good.

G-DannY

AFAIK RGB stacks, so the more RGBs you have the more FPS gains you accumulate. RGB headphones must guarantee at least a net +25fps

Have you seen the Audeze Maxwell that's due out this month? Penrose sounded amazing but it had too many issues for me. Maxwell looks to fix many of the problems I had with the Penrose whilst keeping the great sound. Waiting on some reviews to drop any day now.

Damn, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't heard of the Maxwell. Yep, be interesting to see the reviews.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It appears I'm in the market for a new set of headphones. My vacuum cleaner ripped the cord right off them.

I'm debating, wireless or cord? As long as they don't sound like a tin can or sound scratchy then I'm good.
Not doing wired every again myself.
There is no drawback to wireless. There is no hiss, no hum and sound quality is great. And you can wire if you want to... at least some headsets

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think the Astro A50 is probably really good as a gaming headset.
It's semi open-back with reportedly decent soundstage, it got top notch scores on the rtings' frequency response and microphone tests and the charging dock makes it really convenient.

I want to buy one but I'm hoping for a ~200€ promo.

Valonquar

If you do go Arctis, do NOT go for the more expensive ones with the removable battery pack and little external charging box\volume nob. They have a widely known issue with static hiss that you can't get rid of.

Kacho

It doesn’t have RGB but my Arctis 1 is my favorite headset of all time. I had one of those RGB Logitech headsets and they were a nightmare. Heavy, constant disconnects and horrendous battery life. My Arctis 1 on the other hand is cheap, light weight, has a tremendous battery life and works flawlessly. Doesn’t have Bluetooth unfortunately so you have to plug in the dongle, but the headset itself is so good I don’t care.

I bought the more expensive Arctis 9x and while technically superior, I’m not a fan. Not sure why. Feels more premium and has better bass. It also has Bluetooth so it can pair with my PC, Xbox, Switch and phone. Nice to have around for that. But if given a choice I’d go for the Arctis 1 for the better price.

Last edited:
There is no drawback to wireless. There is no hiss, no hum and sound quality is great. And you can wire if you want to... at least some headsets
no drawbacks, provided youre not too critical.

youre transmitting audio over bluetooth, which is slow. currently there are no lossless codecs.
then theres codecs... and there are a handful. have to make sure your headphones and source support the right codecs.
latency... it differs between codes and sources, and its basically always in the 100s of milliseconds.
amplification is handled within the headphone, so you cant upgrade it.
wireless headphones in general tend to be low/mid tier headphones.

im wearing a pair of sony xm4s right now, and they super convenient and i like them (and i hate cables)... but there's a white noise hiss when no music is playing, and they sound good... but not great.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
no drawbacks, provided youre not too critical.

youre transmitting audio over bluetooth, which is slow. currently there are no lossless codecs.
then theres codecs... and there are a handful. have to make sure your headphones and source support the right codecs.
latency... it differs between codes and sources, and its basically always in the 100s of milliseconds.
amplification is handled within the headphone, so you cant upgrade it.
wireless headphones in general tend to be low/mid tier headphones.

im wearing a pair of sony xm4s right now, and they super convenient and i like them (and i hate cables)... but there's a white noise hiss when no music is playing, and they sound good... but not great.
Not sure about BT. I am talking about gaming headsets so 2,4ghz and I found no drawbacks there. No lag at all, no hiss, hum, no compression. The only thing that is worse is supposedly mic quality compared to wired but I don't mind

TrebleShot

I have Sundaras,
Fantastic sound, probably the best, but you need an IFI DAC stack which is more cables. So rarely use them.
Nova Arctis Pro the way to go.

Have the Audeze Maxwell on pre order, looking forward to an improved wireless planar.

As I say to anyone who listens. Fuck gaming headsets. Get an ampdac and a good pair of headphones.

I will say this Nova Arctis Pro sounds good. Must be fairly new as I didnt see last time I was researching gamer headsets.

I have Sundaras,
Fantastic sound, probably the best, but you need an IFI DAC stack which is more cables. So rarely use them.
Nova Arctis Pro the way to go.

Have the Audeze Maxwell on pre order, looking forward to an improved wireless planar.
Which version did you go with? I need it to work on both consoles so having to hold off until I read some hands on reports how the Xbox verison work with the PS5

Mithos

Been using a Steelseries Arctis 7 (wireless) for the last two y(ears).
Have no complaints about the sound quality or build quality of the actual headset, however I'd pick a version/model that have replaceable batteries if/when I need to get a new headset, even if it would cost a lot more. Because the battery is really bad 2 years later and need to be charged multiple times a day if you use the headset a lot in a day.

Top Bottom