• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned a Rogue's 8/8 and 9/9 Questing Adventurer's and 16/16 Edwin into sheep earlier thanks to a turn 8 Inkmaster Solia/Kazakus potion combo.

He wasn't a happy camper...

bjaelke

Warlock at 11-2 plays 3x Abyssal Enforcers, 2x Imp-losion, Blast Crystal Potion and an active Kazakus without going through half his deck. He definitely deserved the 12 wins.

I hope Burgle Rogue can become a solid deck in the future, although it's a shame that Burgle itself is being rotated out. I'm having a lot of fun with a Pirate Burgle Rogue currently and it's actually been pretty successful too, I think I'm like 8-0 going from rank 11 to 8.

Pooya

Let's make a deck around stupidly high variance RNG very powerful, what can go wrong. We certainty didn't have that before, right.

No, thanks.

They should stop printing random card generators There is nothing to learn from it if you lose or win, it's just bad. Cards that have a reasonable pool like 4-5 specific cards, are fine but anything more it's just nonsense.

Pooya

Solid = very powerful now I guess.

Playable, solid whatever you want to call it, It should remain unplayable even more than it is, cards like swashburglar are bad enough that are playable on their own, mage and its clown fiesta is enough for this game.

Everytime it starts like that, "let's buff it a little what can go wrong".

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I started a fresh F2P account on the Asia server a couple days ago to mix things up and see how bad the pay to win aspect really is.

I'm already rank 16, and I haven't even crafted a single card yet. Beast Druid has been fantastic for me, even though there's only one beast synergy card in the deck at the moment.

Decklist

So far I've bought 6 packs with gold and done 3 arena runs, on top of the various free packs they give you at the start, and am sitting on 495 dust until I can open a few more epics to help figure out what deck to settle on.

Only epics i've opened so far are Snake Trap and Rat Pack, which are good they're both in the same class, but bad that the class is Hunter. It's a shame that Menagerie Wardin is so deep in ONiK, or maybe I'd go all in on beast druid. That deck is super cheap otherwise.

Pooya

with how bad the reactions to the paveling book thing at blizzcon was, I think they will look for new ways to do that in future. Gadgetzan already toned it down by a lot. Something like Kabal Chemist is still ok, it's very slow, the outcomes are very high variance but you know what they are at least. Discover cards are a mixed bag, most of them are reasonable at least but that can become an issue too.

Only way I can see it working effectively is in Wild with Muster for Battle.
on-the-nose-slider3.png

scarlet

Clawed my way back up to rank 11 4 stars. Then I meet an abomination of a mill/aviana/kun druid who gets so damn lucky on draws and BM's every turn.
This game is so evil at times. Every time I get close to rank 10 I either meet the most lucky bastard in the world or a downright counter.

I feel you! I was down to 17 from 11, now at 15

Playing that Pirate Burgle Rogue, mirror against a miracle Rogue. Turn 1 I Swashburglar, summons Patches and gives me Gang Up. Prep + Gang Up the Patches and then play a second Swashburglar the following turn. Easy win.

Still undefeated actually, up to rank 7 now.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I went 11-3 with this deck, which I thought was just "okay" after drafting. 11 wins is my new arena record. Can someone explain to me how this deck worked so well? I played with it and i'm still not sure how I got to 11 wins.

sIwzTjf.jpg

One thing they said that was hopeful was the minion to spell ratio in arena being changed to more spells. At least that is how I interpreted one of their goals. Whatever they do, I hope they make drafts more interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
I started a fresh F2P account on the Asia server a couple days ago to mix things up and see how bad the pay to win aspect really is.

I'm already rank 16, and I haven't even crafted a single card yet. Beast Druid has been fantastic for me, even though there's only one beast synergy card in the deck at the moment.

Decklist

So far I've bought 6 packs with gold and done 3 arena runs, on top of the various free packs they give you at the start, and am sitting on 495 dust until I can open a few more epics to help figure out what deck to settle on.

Only epics i've opened so far are Snake Trap and Rat Pack, which are good they're both in the same class, but bad that the class is Hunter. It's a shame that Menagerie Wardin is so deep in ONiK, or maybe I'd go all in on beast druid. That deck is super cheap otherwise.
Thanks, I've been trying to find anything that can get me to rank 19 instead of 20. I've played a few weeks and gotten a lot of packs, but I seem to still be missing anything key to make decks.

I've tried pirate / face warrior decks but failed to ever win twice in a row. I figured a F2P deck would be good, but I promptly found I'm missing the following for your deck:

1x living roots
2x wrath
1x pit fighter

That's 160 dust and I only have 5 unless I start carving up cards. Are there any free or common options which might replace these cards and still have reasonable success?

getaway kodo strong af with anyfin/nzoth wild paladin. makes doubly sure you have extra ammo and can use those 10 mana cards when the turn hits with larger graveyards, just have to be careful to clone the correct minions but none of them are really bad to drop twice unless you screw up and get a token copied lol seems good to keep the tempo up and growing the graveyards effectively

Thanks, I've been trying to find anything that can get me to rank 19 instead of 20. I've played a few weeks and gotten a lot of packs, but I seem to still be missing anything key to make decks.

I've tried pirate / face warrior decks but failed to ever win twice in a row. I figured a F2P deck would be good, but I promptly found I'm missing the following for your deck:

1x living roots
2x wrath
1x pit fighter

That's 160 dust and I only have 5 unless I start carving up cards. Are there any free or common options which might replace these cards and still have reasonable success?

One thing you could try doing is posting some of your replays and people can help point out and explain mistakes.

Miletius

I went 11-3 with this deck, which I thought was just "okay" after drafting. 11 wins is my new arena record. Can someone explain to me how this deck worked so well? I played with it and i'm still not sure how I got to 11 wins.

sIwzTjf.jpg

It just looks like a really solid midrange deck, with a lot of strong early game minions and a few game winning late game ones. Early game warlock minions + things like Dark Iron Dward and Shattered Sun Cleric. Plus implosion, which is pretty solid removal.

Cables

Neo Member

1x living roots
2x wrath
1x pit fighter

Yo, I'm not the best at Hearthstone or anything but feel free to add me if you're on NA: I'm cables#1921. I think rank 19 is totally doable with F2P!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

1x living roots
2x wrath
1x pit fighter

Were you the one trying to make a F2P shaman bloodlust deck? I tried a lot of shaman as well, but never got past rank 19, so maybe I would suggest Druid as a good starting class. Wild Growth and Innervate are both extremely nice to have for the attrition curve decks that you basically have to do when you have no cards.

Wrath and living roots are just the type of cards that make the druid class in general good, and me getting those from packs is why i went to druid in the first place. You should craft them if you want to play any druid deck, not because it's required for my deck, which I don't intend to be directly copied.

Pit Fighter is equal to Chillwind Yeti. It's not a card you want in any deck if possible, but fantastic filler when you don't have many cards. I would never recommend crafting it though, as there's a lot of options for filler. Just use the generally best card you have. I would look to arena tier lists to get an idea of what those are. And for the record, I forgot you could get Enchanted Ravens for free from the ONiK prologue, so that should be stuffed somewhere in there too.

http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist

But a lot of your problems are likely in playing the deck itself, and deck building might make more sense if you have a better grasp on that. Posting replays here could help with that, using "Hearthstone Deck Tracker" and hsreplay.net.

Here's the rank 17 game I won to become rank 16 as an example:
https://hsreplay.net/replay/ELsAiv9fTcBjYSEtXGURF7

scarlet

Finally can pick warlock in arena. Had the chance to have 4 abyssal enforcer, but decided to have 3.

That card is crazy in arena.

i don't always get salty, but when my second anyfin gets blocked by an ice block on a priest, you can bet it triggers me :mad:

two straight turns of 24 and 24+ damage thanks to early kodos and it still ain't enough for reno ice block raza priest lol

Staz, a filipino just won WESG against Orange. That reno mage mirror took a long time.

Congrats to him. Seems like it was a really well played series since it went 7 games. Been following Staz since last year when he qualified twice for APAC. Nice to know he's doing great! $150,000 is an insane amount of money.

scarlet

What other card could possibly compel you to do that?

I don't remember tbh. But I went with weaker card, but an early drop. I felt four 7 drops is too clunky.

Congrats to him. Seems like it was a really well played series since it went 7 games. Been following Staz since last year when he qualified twice for APAC. Nice to know he's doing great! $150,000 is an insane amount of money.

I only watched 2 match. His renolock vs Jade druid and the Reno mage mirror. He played well.

And 150k is huge. How much Pavel got for world championship?

I don't remember tbh. But I went with weaker card, but an early drop. I felt four 7 drops is too clunky.

I only watched 2 match. His renolock vs Jade druid and the Reno mage mirror. He played well.

And 150k is huge. How much Pavel got for world championship?

Apparently, game 7 was really good. Got to find the Vods for that definitely. $150k is bonkers, especially when you come from the Philippines. I believe Pavel won $250k since they were playing for a $1,000,000 prize pool. Still, he basically won more than the 2014 and 2015 Blizzcon champions (when the grand prize was still just $100k back then).

scarlet

Apparently, game 7 was really good. Got to find the Vods for that definitely. $150k is bonkers, especially when you come from the Philippines. I believe Pavel won $250k since they were playing for a $1,000,000 prize pool. Still, he basically won more than the 2014 and 2015 Blizzcon champions (when the grand prize was still just $100k back then).

The swing is crazy. Thought orange had it when got emperor from his mirror entity. And he was gonna lose it when Staz's dirty rat got alex, but then Orange's dirty rat got Staz's alex LOL.

Edit: oh wow, staz got his us visa denied twice. That 150k will heal that.

His performance in other tournament was good too.

ok i can't play anything but anyfinja paladin now. getaway kodo just makes it so strategic and fun. lets you lean out on the wild nzoth version deathrattles too, since the kodos can either pull more deathrattles or murlocs depending if you're facing aggro and need extra sludge belchers and whatnot.

getaway kodo is basically a third copy of any minion you want in the deck, its absolutely broken with mechanics that bring back from the graveyard, and running both zoth and AF just make it fantastic. yes there's repentance and that might even have a slot too, but getting back the charger or deathrattle or whatnot to your hand feels much more important, it's like drawing a minion you select but from your own deck, very powerful. since otherwise rep is wasted on stuff like sludge belcher and tirion that you'd just rather drop twice or 3 times from hand because they're that damn good. can even use it to copy doomsayers from the MFin pirates that can kill them on turn 2. i'll take 3 or 4 doomsayers or sludge belchers against them mateys any day.

Getaway kodo has the same weaknesses as duplicate did. You don't actually choose what gets duplicated except in circumstances where you can force it. And your opponent can force you to trade on your turn, or polymorph/hex which is already a weakness to anyfin paladin.

The upsides of getaway kodo may be okay when it works out well. But when you're behind, it's one less resource to use proactively to either stay alive or get back in the game.

Getaway kodo has the same weaknesses as duplicate did. You don't actually choose what gets duplicated except in circumstances where you can force it. And your opponent can force you to trade on your turn, or polymorph/hex which is already a weakness to anyfin paladin.

The upsides of getaway kodo may be okay when it works out well. But when you're behind, it's one less resource to use proactively to either stay alive or get back in the game.

not in anyfinja zoth in wild, it always gets value, since basically anything is worth copying since it's such a tight list and all the important stuff either comes back (rattles or murlocks) and makes the 10 drops more powerful, or it combats to get to that point (light rag, aldor peace, pyromancer). all you have to do is sometimes be mindful of not hitting the token button even if you have the mana, but that is only a twice a game situation at the max so its nbd. as soon as i cut muster for battle i realized the curve of minions is perfect for getting the kodo value without losing much more than, as i said, two tokens in a game. if you're ahead on the board you don't give a shit what gets copied, and if you're behind you make sure to leave a sludge or something, works out much better than i expected once you get the list tight , and is the only chance you have in some of those games where key murlocs get hexed or you're facing reno and need the strongest fins possible, or against more aggro where getting a repeat on ivory knight, tirion, or sludge is a game winning deal.

the important part is playing mind games with the opponent. 1 mana isn't hard to squeeze in, and doing things like going face with a minion instead of trading can really pay off if you pay attention and get the key copies for the matchup you're in by forcing them into dealing with what you have out there and want copied. most definitely the strongest pally secret this side of avenge. i would even run it in aggro decks if i were to make one, it's that good to have 3rd and 4th copies of OP cards for only 1 mana.

It sounds very inconsistent with little upside. When you're ahead is when it works best and when you're behind is when it's quite weak. Pretty much the definition of a win more card and frankly one with not a large upside. And even worse if you have to change your deck or ignore otherwise optimal lines of play to get value out of it. It worked with duplicate to some extent in mage because it created 2 copies and thus card advantage. It also did not work to some extent because of the nature of secrets and your opponent's control over the outcome.

It sounds very inconsistent with little upside. When you're ahead is when it works best and when you're behind is when it's quite weak. Pretty much the definition of a win more card and frankly one with not a large upside. And even worse if you have to change your deck or ignore otherwise optimal lines of play to get value out of it. It worked with duplicate to some extent in mage because it created 2 copies and thus card advantage. It also did not work to some extent because of the nature of secrets and your opponent's control over the outcome.

its not weak at all when you're behind; falling behind pirates turn 5, drop it with sludge. earlier, drop it with wickerflame. drop it the turn after finja and you're either taking the board back or you have a swarm to burst and win the game with. duplicate never costed 1. think about tracking, it's in almost every hunter deck. you get to choose from 3 cards. this, you almost always have 3 minions to drop and select what is copied. for the same mana you get a 3rd copy of the minion to drop immediately and continue either the push, stockpile on the 10 mana graveyard card you already pulled, or copy one of the many stall cards. maybe in standard its too slow but in wild it's a very consistent upgraded tracking.

also consider anyfin only run 2 chargers, plus murk eye, plus finja and warleaders. that's only 6 cards. you want to be as consistent before anyfin as possible, and snagging one or extra murlocs early is key. no other murlocs are nearly as strong so copying these really improves the consistency of a graveyard card like anyfin

since i add the nzoth package snagging extra sludges, tirions can win the game against long control games or a more aggressive deck as well.

ok i can't play anything but anyfinja paladin now. getaway kodo just makes it so strategic and fun. lets you lean out on the wild nzoth version deathrattles too, since the kodos can either pull more deathrattles or murlocs depending if you're facing aggro and need extra sludge belchers and whatnot.

getaway kodo is basically a third copy of any minion you want in the deck, its absolutely broken with mechanics that bring back from the graveyard, and running both zoth and AF just make it fantastic. yes there's repentance and that might even have a slot too, but getting back the charger or deathrattle or whatnot to your hand feels much more important, it's like drawing a minion you select but from your own deck, very powerful. since otherwise rep is wasted on stuff like sludge belcher and tirion that you'd just rather drop twice or 3 times from hand because they're that damn good. can even use it to copy doomsayers from the MFin pirates that can kill them on turn 2. i'll take 3 or 4 doomsayers or sludge belchers against them mateys any day.
Redemption. Repentance sets a minions life to 1.
I'd just run both of them and a MC w/o Noble Sacrifice.

its not weak at all when you're behind; falling behind pirates turn 5, drop it with sludge. earlier, drop it with wickerflame. drop it the turn after finja and you're either taking the board back or you have a swarm to burst and win the game with. duplicate never costed 1. think about tracking, it's in almost every hunter deck. you get to choose from 3 cards. this, you almost always have 3 minions to drop and select what is copied. for the same mana you get a 3rd copy of the minion to drop immediately and continue either the push, stockpile on the 10 mana graveyard card you already pulled, or copy one of the many stall cards. maybe in standard its too slow but in wild it's a very consistent upgraded tracking.

also consider anyfin only run 2 chargers, plus murk eye, plus finja and warleaders. that's only 6 cards. you want to be as consistent before anyfin as possible, and snagging one or extra murlocs early is key. no other murlocs are nearly as strong so copying these really improves the consistency of a graveyard card like anyfin

since i add the nzoth package snagging extra sludges, tirions can win the game against long control games or a more aggressive deck as well.

I think you're deceiving yourself on how impactful the card is. And you're running n'zoth as well. Your deck is a lot more inconsistent than a deck with a strong central strategy.

If your anyfins are weak and need bolstering, it's probably because you've diluted your deck in the impossible task to be good against everything.

I was tilting a little playing reno priest against a shaman and a reno lock. They seemed to be always top decking answers. Then I realized I was doing the same. It is just the quality of cards is so high right now these decks are just power on top of power. (Not a new observation but one of understanding)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I used to detest aggro decks. This meta made me build one and now i see why everyone is running them. Losses and wins are both fast. Makes laddering faster and more efficient.

smorc smorc smorc smorc

Edit:

Is there no room for midrange right now? You seem to need to be really fast or one of(kazakus and reno) late game? Every midrange deck I make has been getting destroyed. Could be my fault though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom