• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You don't think that Primordial Glyph is one of the most unfun cards to play against?

No. And even to the extent that I do find it even remotely annoying it is about the cost reduction. Not the Discover.

What I find unfun are the lopsided and uninteractive strategies. The deck that makes me seethe in anger more than any other is fatigue mage. Discover doesn't create those problems.

Fixed1979

I hate playing against Priest or Freeze Mage, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to call for nerfs.

The difference is you can tech for these decks, besides dirty rat there is no tech for the rogue quest. And as much as dirty rat is a counter you got an equally good chance to pull a card that doesn't matter or one that might slow them a turn. I can't remember if it was Firebat or Strife that said pretty much this, you play them and you win or loose and move on there's no sense trying to change your deck to beat it because it's the only deck in the meta like it.

I used to get pissed playing against the deck but they're not as prevalent as they were last month so I just hope they get a bad draw play it out and move on.

f0lken

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/humankind-the-awakening-android-ios#/

Don't know if is against the rules, but I wanted to share an indiegogo initiatiave from a CCG from my country Chile were a friend is working on it.

A little background, humankid was a TCG that was released here 10 years ago, and now this studio decided to revive it as a digital game. They had been working a good time on it and the stretch goal isn't high, so I trust them on its release. It should appear on mobile and steam

And interesting feature is the inclusion of a trade market, were you can sell and buy cards

If it was the second age Mitos y Leyendas I'd drop HS in a heartbeat, but I was never fond of HumanKind.

Lyng

No. And even to the extent that I do find it even remotely annoying it is about the cost reduction. Not the Discover.

What I find unfun are the lopsided and uninteractive strategies. The deck that makes me seethe in anger more than any other is fatigue mage. Discover doesn't create those problems.

How is random cards you have zero chance of predicting anything but uninteractive.

Its when Hearthstone goes from a strategy game to monopoly.
Randomness is not bad, but once a game is decided solely by a random chance, then you have a serious design issue.

Seriously, fuck whoever at Blizzard thought Jade Idol was a fair card to print. I've just lost 3 games in a Row I had in the bag as Taunt Warrior until my Opponents went "Idol making an 8/8, Earthen scales gaining 9 armor" for 2 Mana is just rage inducing

TankUP

How is random cards you have zero chance of predicting anything but uninteractive.

Randomness is not bad, but once a game is decided solely by a random chance, then you have a serious design issue.

You are exaggerating. Maybe for some very low-skill players they can only win if they get lucky, but that's not true of everybody.

Seriously, fuck whoever at Blizzard thought Jade Idol was a fair card to print. I've just lost 3 games in a Row I had in the bag as Taunt Warrior until my Opponents went "Idol making an 8/8, Earthen scales gaining 9 armor" for 2 Mana is just rage inducing
You're right of course but you never had the game in the bag because the matchup is close to an auto win fro druid thanks to idol.

wiibomb

you are literally playing to the matchup they are favored against. You have no hope on winning that one against a player that knows what to do

Jade druid's best matchup is against control decks

that is the problem with this card, not the discover

You can't say it's zero chance of predicting if you pay heavy attention to it. I think glyph is the only problematic RNG card they added and compared to other bad sets it probably be seen as mild RNG. It's not really the discover that is the problem, it's the mana cost reduction, which makes it harder to anticipate what it is.

you are literally playing to the matchup they are favored against. You have no hope on winning that one against a player that knows what to do

Jade druid's best matchup is against control decks

that is the problem with this card, not the discover
Except the dilemma is this: play Dragon Priest, auto lose to Quest Rogue. Play Taunt Warrior, Autolose to Jade Druid. Both of these decks infest 20-10 Range like no tomorrow right now, and literally any attempt to try and game the system on ladder gets me kicked in the nuts.

If Team 5 would care about the actual health of the play experience they'd be actively working on balancing. But no, They're busy just masturbating with the oodles of money they have. Like, the game is now more expensive then it ever was before, it's more polarized in matchups, dusting is fundamentally broken right now in terms of economy, MSG is a turd of a set that had only one mechanic see serious play in non-wild formats, Classic set balance always means that come rotation some classes lose half of their deck choices (seriously, Warrior/Mage have ridiculous classic base compared to Priest), etc.

You can't say it's zero chance of predicting if you pay heavy attention to it. I think glyph is the only problematic RNG card they added and compared to other bad sets it probably be seen as mild RNG. It's not really the discover that is the problem, it's the mana cost reduction, which makes it harder to anticipate what it is.
Shadow visions is also problematic as it allows you to play up to 4 copies of any spell.

Glyph is worse because it's a free spell that allows you to float mana.
The least I'd nerf Glyph is by making the cost reduction only apply for the turn you play it.
Glyph being random is annoying because you can no longer play around quests well by judging what kind of mage you're facing.

Also HoF Innervate already, I'm so tired of the card.

Except the dilemma is this: play Dragon Priest, auto lose to Quest Rogue. Play Taunt Warrior, Autolose to Jade Druid. Both of these decks infest 20-10 Range like no tomorrow right now, and literally any attempt to try and game the system on ladder gets me kicked in the nuts.

If Team 5 would care about the actual health of the play experience they'd be actively working on balancing. But no, They're busy just masturbating with the oodles of money they have. Like, the game is now more expensive then it ever was before, it's more polarized in matchups, dusting is fundamentally broken right now in terms of economy, MSG is a turd of a set that had only one mechanic see serious play in non-wild formats, Classic set balance always means that come rotation some classes lose half of their deck choices (seriously, Warrior/Mage have ridiculous classic base compared to Priest), etc.

Dragon priest is not autolose to quest rogue. I've won a fair amount as dragon priest. They can be ran out of resources with a properly timed dragon fire potion and protection via primordial drake.

sibarraz

Banned
If it was the second age Mitos y Leyendas I'd drop HS in a heartbeat, but I was never fond of HumanKind.

Never was able to find people to play humankind, I will give the new team the benefit of the doubt

By the way, MyL is amazing now, is way better than everything from th 90's-2000's

Lyng

I am not saying the mechanic itself is bad, the problem is its way to much right now. So many cards generate random cards.

While that might be fine for some, I prefer card games more on the strategic and less on the random/tactical side.

fertygo

I'm torn to card like Gylph and Hallucination.. on other hand its sucks for receiving side but on one hand its damn fun to play for yourself.. its allow you doing some cool stuff that very memorable.. I dont want wont be able play those cards.

At this point I just accept HS gameplay is all about your own resource.. even if they get rid of these discover card.. most of best play and strategy always revolving around your own resource not your opponents.

Lyng

You are exaggerating. Maybe for some very low-skill players they can only win if they get lucky, but that's not true of everybody.

What I meant is, in several matches against, especially mage, they will outright win or loose the game based on a random generated card.

I am not saying the mechanic itself is bad, the problem is its way to much right now. So many cards generate random cards.

While that might be fine for some, I prefer card games more on the strategic and less on the random/tactical side.

And I think that claiming there is no tactics to playing against discover decks is pretty BS. And the player playing the cards are not playing mindlessly either.

8 mana pyroblast got needed for a reason.

Ivw won games by going Pyro into coin Pyro

The reason blizzard nerfed pyro, according to their blog at the time, was not because of power level reasons but because it felt bad to get pyro'd twice in a row too early. It was for the feels.

tylerf

Sure feels good to get 9 wins in arena and then get exactly 150 gold with a regular common and a golden common as the rewards. Why didn't I just retire at 7?

Dragon priest is not autolose to quest rogue. I've won a fair amount as dragon priest. They can be ran out of resources with a properly timed dragon fire potion and protection via primordial drake.
Yeah, no, I'm calling bullshit on it not being Autolose. I've literally cast 3 Dragonfire potions and still lost, because Charge+Bounce is dumb as hell. I've lost games where I had cleared the board turn 7 post Quest at 23 life.

This is a standard Dragon Priest list, it's not something funky or niche.

My main problem with the current meta is it's often much more time efficient to make an aggro deck, poop your hand out, and scoop up the wins.

Every time I try control decks and experience very thoughtful and interesting games, they usually go to fatigue and aren't really worth the time. Though the games are much more intense.

Also watching quest rogues setup their combo, I have this weird feeling of pity even though they will likely win.

Stimpy-button.jpg

manhack

Yeah there was a video of someone with a lot of dust pressing their button and the game froze right away. The servers didn't crash, but they had to restart the game client. I don't even think they got to see any animations.

As predicted...lol

Euphony

Banned
That was pretty disappointing but I guess not unexpected considering how much dust he had in those duplicates. At least it was still fun to see Kripp going on a crafting spree and still have a couple hundred thousand dust left.

Yeah, no, I'm calling bullshit on it not being Autolose. I've literally cast 3 Dragonfire potions and still lost, because Charge+Bounce is dumb as hell. I've lost games where I had cleared the board turn 7 post Quest at 23 life.

This is a standard Dragon Priest list, it's not something funky or niche.

I played a lot of dragon priest and I've talked to other people reflect the same. It's a winnable match up.

Staring at lethal against mage with a secret.

My only chance is to bloodlust and go face because I can't clear his board.

Health ticks to -1 as I'm roping.

"That's incredible!"

Probably a better feeling than seeing an opponent not play Reno.

Dahbomb

The funny thing is that his game actually did hang up and crash when he hit the button. When he restarted the client he had all his cards disenchanted so we didn't actually get to see any animations LOL!

Pooya

that match up is winnable if the rogue player doesn't know how to play it which is likely actually.

you can play around multiple dragon fire and just wait for vanish charger combo. If the dragon priest player is just stacking potions then they are not playing anything you can't deal with. Instead of dumping your hand you pretty much otk or 2 turn kill them, there is not much healing. The can either delete your board or heal, not both.

The only priest deck that can beat quest reliably is the silent priest and even then it is still close.

Sande

that match up is winnable if the rogue player doesn't know how to play it which is likely actually.

you can play around multiple dragon fire and just wait for vanish charger combo. If the dragon priest player is just stacking potions then they are not playing anything you can't deal with. Instead of dumping your hand you pretty much otk or 2 turn kill them, there is not much healing. The can either delete your board or heal, not both.
This is what I was thinking. Of course you'll win if they vomit their hand into your dragonfire like an idiot. If they don't, it's a very difficult match-up.

Lyng

And I think that claiming there is no tactics to playing against discover decks is pretty BS. And the player playing the cards are not playing mindlessly either.

The reason blizzard nerfed pyro, according to their blog at the time, was not because of power level reasons but because it felt bad to get pyro'd twice in a row too early. It was for the feels.

The game can get decided on a coinflip. Then you can play tactical as you say and try to combat the coinflips. Like I said, its purely tactical but next to no strategy

Even if you try to set up win conditions, predict your opponents plays and play perfectly, you can, and will, alot of times loose to a random card. You have forced them to use all their ice blocks or dragon fire potions, but that wont even matter because of pure random luck that may or may not give them the perfect answer.
This is garbage design that the overall card and board game world has moven away from, but the hearthstone team embrace it. Discover is vastly better then Yogg, but the powerlevels of random generated cards/spells in, especially mage is still too high. We need to move more towards strategic play and less coinflips.

iirate

I've had similar results with control paladin. My pressure is nonexistent, so I've had to learn to outlast them. Funnily enough I'm winning >50% against Crystal right now, but it's always a stressful match.

My main problem with the current meta is it's often much more time efficient to make an aggro deck, poop your hand out, and scoop up the wins.

Every time I try control decks and experience very thoughtful and interesting games, they usually go to fatigue and aren't really worth the time. Though the games are much more intense.

Also watching quest rogues setup their combo, I have this weird feeling of pity even though they will likely win.

I feel like aggro has a higher floor and control is a little easier to play well overall. You may be more likely to lose to a bad aggro player than a bad control player, but I think that in HS, aggro has more meaningful moment-to-moment decision making at the high end.

I say this as an almost dedicated control player(standard control pally, wild reno lock, wild reno n'zoth).

The only priest deck that can beat quest reliably is the silent priest and even then it is still close.

I agree. I feel like the majority of my won control pally vs. crystal rogue matches should have been Ls when they were Ws. I'm tempted to get some time in with the deck to confirm this, but it's not very appealing to me.

What are Wild players laddering with this season?
Most people consider Renolock, Egg Druid, and Pirate Warrior to be tier 1.

I got to rank 15 so far at something like 7-2 with Patron Warrior. I think it's an underloved deck with the potential to beat anything except for Priests. I've thought about adding the Warrior quest over Dr. Boom to beat Priests.

Evolve shaman is clicking with me finally, down to rank 7 and there's a lot of interesting lines.
Also poop draws like evolve evolve bloodlust with no minion.

My favourite wins are outgrinding taunt warrior or priest then finishing it off with a double bloodlust.

Top Bottom