• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain new stuff (pic & ^r

Talking about this today at work, and someone said that it only has about 8 hours gameplay. I felt saddened at first, but I guess thats about average these days.

andycapps

Chriswok said:
Talking about this today at work, and someone said that it only has about 8 hours gameplay. I felt saddened at first, but I guess thats about average these days.

Hmmm... is that just for one storyline, or is that playing through it multiple times so you get to experience everything? 8 hours doesn't sound too bad if there's replayability there.

He said that in a review they mentioned they had finished their first walk through in 8 hours. So I'm guessing that's just bog standard going through without wasting time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
There was a rumor they had the game virtually complete for like six months to give it insane polish, it could be Sony have been sending out old builds, but I'm really disappointed by the performance issues. Especially given that first Taxidermist demo they should was stunning, ran beautifully, looked incredible.
I'm pretty sure the Taxidermist demo also had plenty of frame drops, but it was vsynced. They did disable vsync later on for every preview build video I've seen.

Garjon

Lord Error said:
I'm pretty sure the Taxidermist demo also had plenty of frame drops, but it was vsynced. They did disable vsync later on for every preview build video I've seen.
Hopefully that'll be their plan. Doesn't make sense why they'd use older builds though, particularly as this could be the last footage most people will see before the game ships.

Chriswok said:
He said that in a review they mentioned they had finished their first walk through in 8 hours. So I'm guessing that's just bog standard going through without wasting time.
You need to remember that there's 20 different endings, and so 20 completely different ways to play through the story
One such playthrough lasting 8 hours = a shit ton of replay value

BeeDog

Do you guys think that the PSN voucher in the Special Edition is Euro-country-specific? That is, if I buy the UK edt., will the code work on my main Swedish PSN account?

BlazingDarkness said:
You need to remember that there's 20 different endings, and so 20 completely different ways to play through the story

Wasn't it stated there were 1000 endings or something early in this thread?

Oneself

monocromo said:
Sony thinks about you. They already confirmed that the european box art is going to be available to print (oficially).

Personally I prefer it this way. They make the best decision for game sales, and all those who care about the cover have options at their disposal. What most interests me is the success of this take on mature games.

Absolutely, I'm 100% with you on this one. I just think the cover looks horrible but it's well thought.. focus group style!
Glad to know the euro cover will be available officially; thanks for the info!:D

thcsquad

BlazingDarkness said:

I agree. Given the amount of attention directed towards its multiple branching paths without 'dying' and the value of repeated playthroughs, 8 hours seems like plenty for a single run.

Blablurn

just got my invite for a preview session on february, 9th. fuck yeah. it's kinda my most wanted game so far. played it at games com last year. loved it!

garath

8 hours seems a little short to me, I'll probably play it again after the first run through but not much. Even if there's hundreds of different endings, the killer is revealed and a lot of the characters' stories have been played out. I'm not going to spend a ton of time exploring every little nuance.

That said, I'm very interested in the game. I can only afford to grab a few games this season and thanks to that preview build, it's moved up into the "probable buy" category.

reektann

I think due to the amount of options and stories on offer it will be fully dependant on what actually happens in your play through. It sounds as though they're going to be ramping the DLC out of the games pretty sharpish after release too.

BeeDog said:
Do you guys think that the PSN voucher in the Special Edition is Euro-country-specific? That is, if I buy the UK edt., will the code work on my main Swedish PSN account?

i'm actually glad the infamous gigawatt blades weren't locked (not that i used them really, but i liked that i could redeem the code that came with the special edition) but wasn't too happy that i couldn't redeem the insomniac moon on my portuguese account(once again, i got it in-game but it feels weird =D) (both special editions bought from uk).
seriously sony, just make the european psn the same across all regions. it isn't too cool either that a bunch of countries get a few promotions and we get almost nothing :(

and yeah, i fear that too, i'm really hoping i can claim the dynamic theme and the chronicles dlc

GarJon said:
Hopefully that'll be their plan. Doesn't make sense why they'd use older builds though, particularly as this could be the last footage most people will see before the game ships.

8 hours is plenty for a game like this (choice based) that can and will be replayed (by me) 3 or 4 times. Depending on the quality of the story obviously.

tacotime77

Neo Member
I don't remember if Indigo Prophecy was originally a console exclusive. I think Quantic Dream would stand to benefit from publishing Heavy Rain for the PC as well. I know I would buy the game if they ported it :D

VegaShinra

tacotime77 said:
I don't remember if Indigo Prophecy was originally a console exclusive. I think Quantic Dream would stand to benefit from publishing Heavy Rain for the PC as well. I know I would buy the game if they ported it :D
Sony is publishing the game on the PS3. I don't see them letting the title go to PC.

Shaka

This game can't come soon enough. My panties are moist with the prospect of what this game can do to further the medium. Now for the little tiny matter of getting some money.

Minamu

I haven't been following it that closely but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very graphics heavy game, so why is there so much trouble with getting a steady framerate? Am I missing something? It's even console exclusive so that argument doesn't work either.

ClearCELL

Banned
Minamu said:
I haven't been following it that closely but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very graphics heavy game, so why is there so much trouble with getting a steady framerate? Am I missing something? It's even console exclusive so that argument doesn't work either.
Wut? Your judging the framerate from YouTube vids?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GarJon said:
I think I've read somewhere that focus groups have shown that people prefer tearing over full frame drops. That way the fluidity of motion is preserved, and I think with most people brain ignores tearing until you condition yourself to start noticing it (I've seen that happen so many times on this board as well, when someone would ask what tearing is, and then everyone would joke that it's better not to have it pointed out to you)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Minamu said:
It looks extremely "graphics heavy".

BeeDog said:
Didn't think of this when ordering it... But say it is restricted, can't you just set up a UK PSN account?

edgefusion

Minamu said:

So when you say you haven't been following closely you mean you haven't seen a single picture or video of Heavy Rain?

BeeDog

VibratingDonkey said:
Didn't think of this when ordering it... But say it is restricted, can't you just set up a UK PSN account?

Of course I could, but I'm anal retentive when it comes to this stuff. I'd rather lock everything to my main account instead of spreading my stuff around; it's more of an OCD issue than anything else really.

Lord Error said:
I think I've read somewhere that focus groups have shown that people prefer tearing over full frame drops. That way the fluidity of motion is preserved, and I think with most people brain ignores tearing until you condition yourself to start noticing it (I've seen that happen so many times on this board as well, when someone would ask what tearing is, and then everyone would joke that it's better not to have it pointed out to you)

I would be in the majority in those focus groups, then. I do certainly notice tearing, but it's a mild annoyance at worst. Whereas frame rates going under 30 really piss me off, as well as hitching a-la Mass Effect.

iceatcs

Minamu said:
Well, it may not have like overdue Bloom, Motion blur or Bump mapping everywhere like most generic games.
But it seems quite high standard graphics because it's detailed nearly everywhere such thing small objects and the real-time shadow on everything made it so immersion of real life.

I won't mind if it has slow game play with unstable frame rate but hopefully it won't be bad in the fast pace section or QTE part.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Thats the worst OP I have seen in a while. Its full of giant pictures that take forever to load. I was looking for the various covers...

Also, does anyone know when the mini web game starts? I heard the 26th.

Garjon

Actually, after re-watching some more footage, I don't really mind the framerate as it is and the screen tearing isn't quite so bad. What I think really needs fixing is the voice acting in some scenes. For instance,
the 'audition' character's VA is quite poor and the Scrapyard character's is piss poor
. At times it gets really jarring and I really hope the footage they've shown is much older than we think so they can at least make a couple of changes/improvements here and there:D

BeeDog said:
Of course I could, but I'm anal retentive when it comes to this stuff. I'd rather lock everything to my main account instead of spreading my stuff around; it's more of an OCD issue than anything else really.
Well that takes a load off my mind at least. Was afraid I wouldn't be able to access the stuff at all.

Anyway, I asked a dude, don't know if he'll look at it or is able to answer.

BeeDog

VibratingDonkey said:
Well that takes a load off my mind at least. Was afraid I wouldn't be able to access the stuff at all.

Anyway, I asked a dude, don't know if he'll look at it or is able to answer.

Thanks for being arsed to post there, hopefully you'll get a response.

Torgo

netguy503 said:
Uh oh...

Listen to this Podcast:

http://www.psnation.org/2009/12/30/episode-146-rainin-savoryhate/

Start at 52:40. They seem to be really respected around here and they weren't impressed with the game yet. They also have another 1 (or 2) podcasts featuring their impressions on the preview build so just check the recent podcasts for them.

Actually, I am impressed with the game, Mark is a bit skeptical because of some of the voice acting.

Also, while I'm flattered that someone thinks that I'm young enough to be a "teen," it'd be nice if you actually listened to what was said before firing the insults off. MY impressions of Heavy Rain were in an earlier episode (144) and I also wrote a lengthy preview on our site. I won't link them here, because I don't need the accusation that I'm "whoring etc."

My feelings are that this is a revolutionary game that's going to get reviews that run the spectrum from mediocre to great (unfortunately.) A lot of reviewers on the bigger sites are quite young, and many times, just don't click with a game that's as rooted in the narrative as Heavy Rain is. Personally, I expect quite a bit from this game, but my fear is still that it won't do incredibly well in terms of sales.

Also, sorry to disappoint you, but I'm 37, far from being a teen :D

Torgo

netguy503 said:
Much. Didn't touch on the "lives in his mom's basement" insult for the ultimate win but that will do just nicely.:D

I wish I did sometimes. I'd have a crapload of money if I wasn't paying this damned mortgage!!!

Minamu

Sorry, brain fart :lol I assumed people meant the frame rate when they said the performance wasn't top notch. I have seen videos, but not a whole lot, but I haven't noticed any issues with screen tearing or whatever seems to be the problem here. It looks good of course, but to me, it doesn't look like a game that should have any problems displaying the graphics. That is all.

iceatcs said:
Well, it may not have like overdue Bloom, Motion blur or Bump mapping everywhere like most generic games.
But it seems quite high standard graphics because it's detailed nearly everywhere such thing small objects and the real-time shadow on everything made it so immersion of real life.
That might explain it then :)

Holy freaking...

I finished the game. David Cage tells the truth about no supernatural stuff. Apart from that... I can't wait to see the other reviews :D

What are you prepared to do to know whether to buy a game or not?
Keep your preorders

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Good to hear, I just reserved a copy. Can't wait, I'm looking forward to a refreshing and unique gaming experience.

SiegfriedFM said:
Holy freaking...

I finished the game. David Cage tells the truth about no supernatural stuff. Apart from that... I can't wait to see the other reviews :D

Keep your preorders

What would you give it, say...out of 10 :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:
Holy freaking...

Keep your preorders

Did you really enjoy it?

Like, if you played Indigo Prophecy, would you say it's a monumental improvement?

Top Bottom