• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain new stuff (pic & ^r

Goldrusher

Totobeni said:
why ? because it's from a french developer ?

HR is just don't fit with the idea of bundles ,it's niche game and not well knowing franchise or system seller title or even party/family game. :/
In Europe, every big game gets a bundle. Every single one.

Johann

jett said:
Don't put crazy fucking stupid plot twists beyond the capabilities of David Cage. :p If this game actually delivers plot-wise I'll be amazed.

Hey, now let's not jinx this. Cage said he learned his lesson but I know it's going to take one round of heavy drinking for him relapse.

Really looking forward to this game. I'm in the minority but i absolutely loved Omikron Nomad Soul. I loved the realistic bubbling immersive city and exploration in that game. It was also a hybrid type of game where they mixed different types of genre. I thought it was a pretty innovative game for its time. I even bought the David Bowie soundtrack because of his performances in Omikron :D

I'm dying for a modern world exploration/mystery type of game.

SolidSnakex said:

Thanks for linking the Norman gameplay - it gave me a nice incentive to (finally) make a NicoNico account.

I've been hyped over this game since I saw 'The Casting' tech demo a couple of years back. Now that its release date is drawing near, it all feels very... surreal.

Anyways, 'The Four Days Challenge' HR-tie-in is starting on the 26th of this month, on the game's site. If anyone is still having problems registering for the event, I found it easier to use the Safari browser.

GeoramA

major_killjoy said:
I've been hyped over this game since I saw 'The Casting' tech demo a couple of years back. Now that its release date is drawing near, it all feels very... surreal.
Hard to believe that it's coming out in about a month. Just one of those games that you've known about so long and always figured it was still years and years away. Definitely surreal.

Did the Heavy Rain review mention anything about the voice acting? Voice acting sounded really average for a game of this caliber, especially considering when the narrative is the biggest draw of the game. I'm more sensitive to this kind of stuff than average gamers, I guess. I get completely thrown off due to a bad line or a crappy delivery. In games like Ninja Gaiden or DMC, I'm belly laughing at the "voice acting"...no kidding :s

nskinnear said:
I don't really like the box art, but I wouldn't say it's bad. It's at least better than the U.S. one.

:lol

US one could have been worse. On a completely clean slate, it wouldn't deter me from checking out the game, whereas FFX and Ico box arts are so bad I would avoid the game if I didn't know any better. Actually, I did avoid Ico because of its box art before I knew any better. They made the game look cheap with low quality art. At least Heavy Rain cheapened the game with boobs, which I can accept because I like boobs.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
US one could have been worse. On a completely clean slate, it wouldn't deter me from checking out the game, whereas FFX and Ico box arts are so bad I would avoid the game if I didn't know any better. Actually, I did avoid Ico because of its box art before I knew any better. They made the game look cheap with low quality art. At least Heavy Rain cheapened the game with boobs, which I can accept because I like boobs.
When I was young, I used to buy games completely based on box art and display demos.
MetalGearSnakesRevenge.jpg

^^ Only reason why I bought Snake's Revenge :D It had a mix of every pre-teen kid's fantasy action movie: robots, trains, adventure island, helicopters, hot woman and a badass dude wearing a bandanna with guns in each hand (the game was FAR from what is depicted here).

Dogenzaka

Banned
I think the NA boxart is absolutely perfect for the market.

The box tells you a lot from first glance, and this is not a game that can afford to be enigmatic, confusing or mysterious, or none of the random Wal-mart shoppers strolling through the game aisle will pick it up.

The box tells you:
- The are are four characters. They are important.
- They are facing different directions, yet stand united. Seems to imply they're headed different ways towards the same goal.
- The rain tells you, of course, Heavy Rain lol.
- The bloody origami signifies murder.
- The gun + boobs = sales.

Also the font isn't a grungy, diluted mess like the EU boxart :p

I'm fine with the NA box. I think it kind of flows well too.
My favorite is the Japanese boxart, but there's no way something like that, on a new and niche IP, would help sales in America.

You need guns and boobs.

Details about the other Episodes here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/be-origami-killer-in-heavy-rain-dlc

David Cage has revealed that one episode of Heavy Rain's Chronicles DLC puts you in the body of the Origami Killer himself.

Over the course of an hour you'll uncover the reason for his murderous obsession, Cage told gameblog.fr (helpfully decoded by our friends at Eurogamer France).

Another Chronicle will be based on FBI profiler Norman Jayden, and in it we'll find out where he got his scar and how he became addicted to prescription psychoactive drug Triptocaine.

And there's also the episode starring photographer Madison Paige, who trots off to investigate a taxidermist and unsurprisingly runs into a spot of bother. We'll find out why she can't sleep, too.

The Heavy Rain Chronicles will be around an hour long, according to Cage David, and serve as prequels to the characters in Heavy Rain. Nothing has been said about episodes starring the other two leads, Ethan Mars and Scott Shelby.

Sounds great!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
god damn it... I would be forever in someone's debt if they could scan a 300dpi copy of the JPN cover when it's released..... how the fuck japan is getting that brillian work of art and we're getting wet digital boobs is beyond me.... god damn it america...

Garjon

spwolf said:
at least on paper they do... finding them in stores is another thing ;-)
Pretty much, though places like GAME always have at least 20 different bundles of their own so they're bound to be included in there somewhere.

Tisan said:
Oh cool, at least now we know Ethan isn't actually the killer.

I was half expecting *the twist* to be that what was the blindingly obvious & cliched thing to do was in fact the case. Shocking!
Perhaps that IS the twist though! It's always the person you most/least suspect :p

Daw

Neo Member
thechemist said:
Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to that date. I hope it will be near the start of the game so I won't ruin anything major for myself. If its the starting sequence of the game, once I get the full title it will remain like the demo and wont have a moment within the game where I go "Oh, its the demo part". That could quite possibly ruin the immersion that this game is built around.

Nemesis_

Dogenzaka said:
I think the NA boxart is absolutely perfect for the market.

The box tells you a lot from first glance, and this is not a game that can afford to be enigmatic, confusing or mysterious, or none of the random Wal-mart shoppers strolling through the game aisle will pick it up.

The box tells you:
- The are are four characters. They are important.
- They are facing different directions, yet stand united. Seems to imply they're headed different ways towards the same goal.
- The rain tells you, of course, Heavy Rain lol.
- The bloody origami signifies murder.
- The gun + boobs = sales.

Also the font isn't a grungy, diluted mess like the EU boxart :p

I'm fine with the NA box. I think it kind of flows well too.
My favorite is the Japanese boxart, but there's no way something like that, on a new and niche IP, would help sales in America.

You need guns and boobs.

I think you have terrible taste.

Nice idea to bring in the Origami Killer for his own episode though. =)

Been watching some of the gameplay vids on youtube. I'm very impressed with this game. day one for sure.

I was hesitant at first because QTE's are not something I am a fan off in heavy doses but this game looks too good to pass on.

Oneself

OMG, I started a media blackout (after the waaay too revealing Jap trailer) and I didn't see the horrible, horrible North American boxart until today.
It's the perfect example of "focus group" artwork for us terribly retarded tasteless Americans/Canadians.. with the "old" cover, we would have probably thought the game was about folding paper under the rain.

Johann said:
Hey, now let's not jinx this. Cage said he learned his lesson but I know it's going to take one round of heavy drinking for him relapse.

I'm not too sure that anybody who ever thought the plot of Fahrenheit was going to result in the most cinematic, powerful narrative told in a game is capable of learning. I mean did he start owning up to that before Heavy Rains announcement and he needed to get people back on his side?

Sony was very smart to send out a preview-build to the kid who does the LikeTotallyAwesome show on Youtube. He gets huge numbers and from an audience Sony probably has a difficult time reaching.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
templeusox said:
Sony was very smart to send out a preview-build to the kid who does the LikeTotallyAwesome show on Youtube. He gets huge numbers and from an audience Sony probably has a difficult time reaching.
Speaking of which, does anyone know what is the theme song that plays on that kid's videos?

monocromo

Oneself said:
OMG, I started a media blackout (after the waaay too revealing Jap trailer) and I didn't see the horrible, horrible North American boxart until today.
It's the perfect example of "focus group" artwork for us terribly retarded tasteless Americans/Canadians.. with the "old" cover, we would have probably thought the game was about folding paper under the rain.

Sony thinks about you. They already confirmed that the european box art is going to be available to print (oficially).

Personally I prefer it this way. They make the best decision for game sales, and all those who care about the cover have options at their disposal. What most interests me is the success of this take on mature games.

Mr. Jonh

Banned
Man, i'm extremely interested on how the game will be designed. The contextual controls already seem like a big depart from the norm, i wonder how they'll reward the player, and how they'll handle the conflict between the player and the character's values. Every character will be played right? It's not like you'll have a choice on that right?

Man i'm really hyped for this one! I can already foresee how diverging the opinions will be! How people will discuss for endless threads and blog posts about the (apparent) agency the player will have the power to control!

netguy503

templeusox said:

Just checked out the video. God, the VA in this game is KILLING me!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Qore footage is really great, but I'm still concerned about performance. The framerate issues seem to remain in that build. Too much tearing for such a cinematic game. It would be great if that were fixed for the final game, but at this point, I highly doubt that will happen. :\

Ranger X

dark10x said:
The Qore footage is really great, but I'm still concerned about performance. The framerate issues seem to remain in that build. Too much tearing for such a cinematic game. It would be great if that were fixed for the final game, but at this point, I highly doubt that will happen. :\

Well, if you're like me, FPS sure didn't bother in Indigo Prophecy. The game was still such and original "upgrade" or should I say "twist" on the point and click genre + interesting quest that I didn't mind it was basically launch PS2 graphics in shit FPS.
(yeah yeah I know the end suck but I don't mind it much because the first 2 tierce of the game was brilliant).

Oh well, in short I have faith in Heavy Rain. I mean, at WORSE I will like it as much as Indigo Prophecy.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:
There was a rumor they had the game virtually complete for like six months to give it insane polish, it could be Sony have been sending out old builds, but I'm really disappointed by the performance issues. Especially given that first Taxidermist demo they should was stunning, ran beautifully, looked incredible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ranger X said:
Well, if you're like me, FPS sure didn't bother in Indigo Prophecy. The game was still such and original "upgrade" or should I say "twist" on the point and click genre + interesting quest that I didn't mind it was basically launch PS2 graphics in shit FPS.
(yeah yeah I know the end suck but I don't mind it much because the first 2 tierce of the game was brilliant).

Oh well, in short I have faith in Heavy Rain. I mean, at WORSE I will like it as much as Indigo Prophecy.

Well, I played IP on the PC, so the framerate was 60. :p

Garjon

StuBurns said:
There was a rumor they had the game virtually complete for like six months to give it insane polish, it could be Sony have been sending out old builds, but I'm really disappointed by the performance issues. Especially given that first Taxidermist demo they should was stunning, ran beautifully, looked incredible.
I don't understand this either; I'd have thought that after the amount of time spent making it that Sony would want it to be as free of hitches as possible.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GarJon said:
I don't understand this either; I'd have thought that after the amount of time spent making it that Sony would want it to be as free of hitches as possible.

Where are the Sony agents that fix issues like this?

Top Bottom