• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain reviews

mujun

HK-47 said:
Well I'm only sure you have never played KotOR. And I'm not discussing an extreme at all. I'm discussing good design that doesnt handhold the player, especially since I dont think such an investigation should be a straight shot. It should be full of doubt and lies and half truths.

I've played and finished KOTOR. Good game.

Give me a mystery game that forces me to see the connection between clues as well as making me doubt some of the clues I find.

Entirely one or the other is what I would consider the extremes.

mujun said:
I've played and finished KOTOR. Good game.

Give me a mystery game that forces me to see the connection between clues as well as making me doubt some of the clues I find.

Entirely one or the other is what I would consider the extremes.

to be fair, the cons in that translated review only show that the reviewer don't like being fed lies and false clues. it show nothing whether the game are showing those clues subtly or beating it right at you.

and 'meatbag' is an awesome word, it's not insult, because he talks that way to everyone:D

bj00rn_

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Not sure if this was posted, but I came across some really cool new footage of Scott Shelby gameplay. Personally, I only watched a few minutes because I suspected spoilers incoming, but it was nice to see a new, interesting locale and some basic Shelby investigation gameplay.

Love the graphics, their object libraries are quite impressive. But I'm more and more worried about the QTEs, which looks sillier and more pointless every time I see footage from the game. If it was a free roaming/free camera type of game without being interrupted every 10 seconds with a cutscene, perhaps I'd be more positive about it. I'm just asking myself a simple question: Why would I buy and "play" this game instead of watching a walkthrough of it on youtube? I guess I just need to finally play it to find out for real.

bj00rn_ said:
Love the graphics, their object libraries are quite impressive. But I'm more and more worried about the QTEs, which looks sillier and more pointless every time I see footage from the game. If it was a free roaming/free camera type of game without being interrupted every 10 seconds with a cutscene, perhaps I'd be more positive about it. I'm just asking myself a simple question: Why would I buy and "play" this game instead of watching a walkthrough of it on youtube? I guess I just need to finally play it to find out for real.
And the obvious answer is that the entire theme of the game are the choices you make. You can't do that without control of the actual game.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'll definitely try it in French on a play through. Maybe something like after I played it 2 or 3 times. It's on the disk, I might as well, maybe it'll keep things fresh. I'm not going to burn through the game quick, then replay it over and over within the same week though. Going to sip, swirl, and swallow this puppy.

2z4fdyq.jpg

Might not get another game like this in a long time hah.

Photo75.jpg

I'll be pulling an all-nighter with this game. The next day, I'll wake up dazed & confused.
and alone, again

JWong

Banned
I have a dilemma...

Preorder at Amazon.ca where there is a possibility of waiting for 2 weeks for them to get the game to me. (Happened with Killzone 2. Uncharted 2 took a week.)

Or!

Sell my soul to EBGames evilness and preorder there.

I really wish BestBuy and Futureshop offered the preorder bonus.

JWong

Banned
This is a title I have followed for over three years. I will be picking this up Day 1. I probably won't have time to play it (busy with college, work,backlog,etc,.) but I want to do my part to help support Quantic Dream. Titles like Heavy Rain is the reason why I love the Sony. Only Sony would support a title that may be aimed at a niche market.

JWong

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
Damn - looks like I'll be pre-ordering at EBGames. I'll most definitely need to take a shower afterwards.
Yeah, I might make a deal with the devil. I can't wait a day for this. Goddamnit.

I want my free dlc too!

Melchiah

ZephyrFate said:
You'd hate the game The Void, then, Melchiah, it lies to you all the time. It forces you to think about what the 'truth' really is.

Why would I hate it? It sounds like I might like it.

What were on the list, were what the reviewer saw as pros and cons, not I.

Donos

I expected much worse reviews for such a "niche" title. So there must be atleast something good with Heavy Rain and not only the QTE marathon which some expect.. Even my shooterheavy friend seems interested. Fresh wind for the industry although i doubt that it will sell good.

Personally I don't see these as QTE's. They are just button prompts to perform context sensitive actions. Much different from QTE's in my opinion. Remember, the gameplay-->cutscene transition may be more than we think; we're only seeing bits and pieces of gameplay and there is a 10 hour game we've yet to experience. The game just looks SO GOOD I don't know why anyone wouldn't WANT to experience/see it in full HD. Can't wait wait wait!

DodgerSan

Bleh - no spec eds available in the UK that I can see. Not out yet, or 'sold out' a la Mass Effect 2?

Anyone know if the extra chapters will be available at a later date?

Ridley327

The Taxidermist episode is going to be available shortly after the launch of the game for $5. That's the only episode that's being bundled with pre-orders and LEs right now, so you don't have much to worry about.

Melchiah

DodgerSan said:
Bleh - no spec eds available in the UK that I can see. Not out yet, or 'sold out' a la Mass Effect 2?

Anyone know if the extra chapters will be available at a later date?

Yes there are, but they're exclusive to HMV. I just preordered one a week ago.

The extra chapter(s) will be available later for everyone.

edit: Beaten.

I hope someone makes a Heavy Rain Demo Impression Thread. I want to hear other people's impressions. I'm blown away by the complexity and depth of the conversation system.

I know this place hates IGN, and the people looking forward to this game hardly need anymore approval, but I thought I'd mention that in the latest Podcast Beyond Heavy Rain got some good raps. They said they weren't allowed to talk about it yet, but you should go and pre-order it.

Shaka

LiquidMetal14 said:
Go play something else then.
:( You misunderstood me, I'm saying all the people who are screaming QTEs should fuck up lol I sit here in anticipation of Heavy Rain with my hand in my pants!

bj00rn_

Banned
Played the demo. Wasn't for me. Nice graphics and atmosphere. But lack of feeling of being in control, the QTEs and the constant interruptions was a bit frustrating. But I'll be big enough to say that maybe I'm not invested enough, the demo is too short for a game like this, or that it's just not a game for my taste.

KAOz

Short bus special
Played the demo.

I've been quite interested in the game, and this demo just nailed it. I have just pre-ordered it so I got it at launch. The QTE's where really good, and it was probably some of the more intense ones (without being annoying, but, movie-intense) that I've seen.

Also, I shat a brick during one of the "cutscenes" when I realized I could still walk, and even sit down. And go up again. :lol

Xater

KAOz said:
Played the demo.

I've been quite interested in the game, and this demo just nailed it. I have just pre-ordered it so I got it at launch. The QTE's where really good, and it was probably some of the more intense ones (without being annoying, but, movie-intense) that I've seen.

Also, I shat a brick during one of the "cutscenes" when I realized I could still walk, and even sit down. And go up again. :lol

I love how you can actually follow what's going on even when there is a QTE.

KAOz

Short bus special
Yeah, it doesn't take away from what's happening on the screen. I think Quantic Dream really nailed that down. Was hoping this would turn out awesome, and was pleasantly surprised that it played even better then I thought it would.

Interfectum

Shaka said:
:( You misunderstood me, I'm saying all the people who are screaming QTEs should fuck up lol I sit here in anticipation of Heavy Rain with my hand in my pants!

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "should shut the fuck up".

Ploid 3.0

This shall be the review, and demo impressions thread.

I'd change the title if I could. Don't need all these heavy rain threads around. It's hard for me to keep up.

I loved the demo. I loved the fighting, I got sucker punched a lot, and felt like a old man for not having the reflex. But I turned things around and won. Before that the girl didn't give me any info because I kinda pissed her off (played out different for me than a trailer I saw).

The crime scene section was awesome as well.
I was about to just leave after examining the body but I chose to follow ARI's nose and it lead me to the point of entry for the killer. That hill was like a boss battle. I was smiling all the way through failures. Poor Jayden was all muddied up after I got done up there. Loved that.

The context sensitive things, and the qte are very well done. It keeps me focused on the fight, and makes me feel like I'm a guardian angle helping the person win, or that I'm the person rather. Well done!

Oh also I love the controls. L2 to change camera angles, left analog to free look when you're not walking, and pretty much while walking too but you'd probably think it was just an auto camera changing to direct your view. I just wish I could look up, or go into a first person view while being still to look at the crazy detailed stuff, but it's understandable why I can't I guess (tricks to make things look so good). Maybe in the full game there are segments that have a first person view for looking. Maybe you'll be tied up somewhere and can only observe and think to yourself heh.

For the people who have played the demo would you say its worth not playing it if you are getting the game anyway as i am very tempted to try it out but am a bit worried about spoiling any story parts?

Ploid 3.0

Dirtyshubb said:
For the people who have played the demo would you say its worth not playing it if you are getting the game anyway as i am very tempted to try it out but am a bit worried about spoiling any story parts?

It's more of a a taste. It don't go into much detail. The first one is actually a tutorial on how to play the game. The second (crime scene) don't do much plot wise other than learning to use ARI, and how to follow clues. Other than the fact that the killer might have a license, can drag a body, or hired/forced someone to do it for him/her/it it don't really spoil anything.

Think of it as a trainer, so you're on your A game when you hit the full game, and you won't mess up due to inexperience, changing the course of your story (don't leave a crime scene unless you unturned every rock hah).

Ploid 3.0 said:
It's more of a a taste. It don't go into much detail. The first one is actually a tutorial on how to play the game. The second (crime scene) don't do much plot wise other than learning to use ARI, and how to follow clues. Other than the fact that the killer might have a license, can drag a body, or hired/forced someone to do it for him/her/it it don't really spoil anything.

Think of it as a trainer, so you're on your A game when you hit the full game, and you won't mess up due to inexperience, changing the course of your story (don't leave a crime scene unless you unturned every rock hah).
Thanks for the advice, think i will play it when i get home later.
Now i just need to hassle someone to get it :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Shawn6661 said:

It's not like Sony can do anything else outside of not sending early game codes and pulling ads anyway, it's almost like this guy was keeping score after all these years.

6 to a media site might mean a few more hits, 6 to a publisher and a development team would mean lost sales and lost bonuses after YEARS of hard work, I can understand if the team made a shit game and deserved being slammed, but in this particular case the game doesn't seem to be atrociously bad or even mediocre given the reception so far. There's always going to be a few sites out there trying to stand out from the crowd by giving a low score, while it ultimately doesn't benefit a publisher to retaliate, it kind of sucks that a publisher has to send out debug units to sites, give out review codes for free and then have the game slammed hard like that.

daycru

Kittonwy said:
It's not like Sony can do anything else outside of not sending early game codes and pulling ads anyway, it's almost like this guy was keeping score after all these years.

6 to a media site might mean a few more hits, 6 to a publisher and a development team would mean lost sales and lost bonuses after YEARS of hard work, I can understand if the team made a shit game and deserved being slammed, but in this particular case the game doesn't seem to be atrociously bad or even mediocre given the reception so far. There's always going to be a few sites out there trying to stand out from the crowd by giving a low score, while it ultimately doesn't benefit a publisher to retaliate, it kind of sucks that a publisher has to send out debug units to sites, give out review codes for free and then have the game slammed hard like that.
Or conversely, they thought the game was worthy of a 6. Impossible idea, I know.

Top Bottom