• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain reviews

Melchiah

Forgot one thing, which depending on a person can be a pro or a con;

The game is apparently slow-paced, the atmosphere is crafted gradually and slowly with mundane things. The reviewer thinks the game won't go well with younger players. Not only due to the pace, but also due to themes, like paternity, that younger people perhaps can't identify themselves with.

For me, it's definitely a pro.

Melchiah said:

The game is apparently slow-paced, the atmosphere is crafted gradually and slowly with mundane things. The reviewer thinks the game won't go well with younger players. Not only due to the pace, but also due to themes, like paternity, that younger people perhaps can't identify themselves with.

Same here. I see nothing wrong with having a slower pace especially when it's setting such an awesome tone to begin with. The depressive noir atmosphere is one of my favorite things about the game. It's such a beautiful looking game too.

Garjon

Melchiah said:

Definitely a pro; after years of fast paced games, something slower would be just the ticket :D
While I'm not a dad, I am an uncle and those scenes do sort of click. I don't expect many younger people to pick this up regardless of its themes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Melchiah said:
[*]The worst thing? The game tries to trick the player by presenting false clues and theories.

Sounds like the best things. More games should lie. Its a powerful tool for storytelling in games I think.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mujun said:
Surely it's better to make the clues hard to find or subtle rather than making it impossible to know whether any given clue is right or wrong.

Oh no, I actually have to think instead of taking things at face value!

Hypereides

Gold Member
highluxury said:
....anyway, Im sitting here with the danish issue of Gamereactor. They are calling this "the first TRUE interactive movie experience" defining a new genre by its own. It scored 9/10.

Im pretty psyched now. It appears to be a wonder in story-telling.

Reposted for the new page.

Ploid 3.0

Dude thanks for the magazine's highlights. Thank you!

They like it, and I like what they said. I really wanted the story to be good, and I look forward to it's slow pace.

About the voice discussion. I can see how it can be intolerable to people. Fortunately my tolerance for it isn't as sensitive that it takes me out of the videos I've seen so far (that mall scene was pushing it paired with the way that kid acted). The other stuff I saw that other people didn't like (Jayden's investigation, the Detective in the store scene, and the father at his house with his son) didn't bother me at all, I think it's good enough. I liked the voice acting in some too. I liked when the father screamed from frustration, and that guy snapping on Jayden (the Lieutenant). It seems like the scenes where things are flowing, and not broken into parts waiting on your response are better. Maybe it a digital speaker effect (you know, the robot that have words recorded but TALK - IN - PARTS - STITCHED - TOGETHER). In the mall it seem like they might have reused his yells for his son. Same tone, and such. If there are scenes where a character starts talking like in that casting, where you are not interrupting, it might be even better.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i dont know if this is in heavy rain or not but more games should useless items for the hell of it.

do you want to pick up lint?

yes

no<-

Sascha23

Banned
Melchiah said:

Agreed. I think it's a pro for anyone that's excited for this game.

Sascha23

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
i dont know if this is in heavy rain or not but more games should useless items for the hell of it.

do you want to pick up lint?

yes

no<-

Sounds like something you would see in Space Quest or Monkey Island games.

Sascha23

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
About the voice discussion. I can see how it can be intolerable to people.

Not if you play in the original French language with English subs.

I know, I sound like a broken record, but I would much rather experience a great story with great acting rather than hear it in dub format that didn't get the direction it deserved--which this game seems to fall into (at least partially).

I plan to play in English at least once though just so I can see how it pans out overall.

Ploid 3.0

I'll definitely try it in French on a play through. Maybe something like after I played it 2 or 3 times. It's on the disk, I might as well, maybe it'll keep things fresh. I'm not going to burn through the game quick, then replay it over and over within the same week though. Going to sip, swirl, and swallow this puppy.

2z4fdyq.jpg

Might not get another game like this in a long time hah.

Garjon said:
While I'm not a dad, I am an uncle and those scenes do sort of click.
Definitely. While I'm not a father either, I see a lot of parents with children on the subway who I want to smack the crap out of, so hopefully I can do that through this game.

HiResDes

highluxury said:
They evidently set their expectations to 'disappointment' wanting to see it fail since its another experimental game from Sony. And apparently they had to pre-ejaculate their hate on David Cage bearing the former into consideration.

:lol

....anyway, Im sitting here with the danish edition of Gamereactor. They are calling this "the first TRUE interactive movie experience" defining a new genre by its own. It scored 9/10.

Im pretty psyched now. It appears to be wonder in story-telling.
Okay, but that tells me nothing about how it is as a video game...

YoungHav

Banned
I think the gaming media needs to chill the fuck out with the "0mg games are movies lemme shove it down your throat!!!". lol enough w/the games/movies crap, that was so 2009.

Sascha23

Banned
YoungHav said:
is it even confirmed to have multi-languages in the North American version?

I believe the Europeans release has multiple languages, so they have to make a conscious decision to remove it and I don't see why they would do that. Even Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3 for sure) has various languages including Italian.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
YoungHav said:
It pretty much has to have Spanish and French to be sold here, if they are already available for other countries (and they are)

HK-47 said:
Sounds like the best things. More games should lie. Its a powerful tool for storytelling in games I think.
Yeah, really. That sounds like a total pro.

You'd hate the game The Void, then, Melchiah, it lies to you all the time. It forces you to think about what the 'truth' really is.

Porkepik

Lord Error said:
It pretty much has to have Spanish and French to be sold here, if they are already available for other countries (and they are)
100% sure on french as here in quebec they would not be able to sell the game as it s available in the euro version. Spanish is a pretty given too. Dunno for other language but it would be stupid if they remove content, pressing the disc would cost the same

YoungHav said:

It's been mentioned that each territory is getting the same version of the game. No censoring, multiple language options. Same everything. So yes, the NA version WILL have whatever languages they've localized. Actually, I could be wrong, but the Japanese version may be the only exception to this.

GhaleonQ

Deepack said:
You're about to enter the world of my imagination. You are entering my darkplace.

*Cue eighties synth tune*

Guys, this is no joke. David Cage came to my dorm room today and had his goons beat the tar out of me. My eyes popped out of what was left of my back. Why, oh, why had I opened that door? My floor turned red. This was because I was bleeding on it. Blood - ruby-red blood, MY blood. Blood...and piss and shit. This is the worst day of my life.

Yasae

Banned
Melchiah said:

I've been replaying KOTOR 2 with mods. No way that's faster than Heavy Rain. I can get on board with slow pacing, as long as it's pacing and not filler. It allows for more development and story impact when done well.

They didn't say anything good or bad about the VA, though. Hmm.

-viper-

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Not sure if this was posted, but I came across some really cool new footage of Scott Shelby gameplay. Personally, I only watched a few minutes because I suspected spoilers incoming, but it was nice to see a new, interesting locale and some basic Shelby investigation gameplay.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/scott-shelby-heavy-rain-gameplay/339181

Remember, this video most likely contains out-of-context spoilers. Watch if you don't care!
wow, that looks pretty good.

Yasae

Banned
Sascha23 said:
Not if you play in the original French language with English subs.

I know, I sound like a broken record, but I would much rather experience a great story with great acting rather than hear it in dub format that didn't get the direction it deserved--which this game seems to fall into (at least partially).

I plan to play in English at least once though just so I can see how it pans out overall.
If you want to localize a game, you should be willing to put the hard work in. Otherwise don't dub the thing at all. Happens with movies left and right.

But again. Laziness. Budgets. Poor choices.

mujun said:
Surely it's better to make the clues hard to find or subtle rather than making it impossible to know whether any given clue is right or wrong.

in point and click adventure, what you suggest is equal to pixel hunting for that tiny, hard to find, subtle clues as the ingredients to solve the puzzles.

I think I prefer to have more useless/ misleading clues and spend more time thinking on the puzzles than more time moving my mouse cursor 1 millimeters at a time.:D

jrricky

Banned
REK said:
I can't wait to watch this game on YouTube!:lol :lol :lol
I think I'm gonna do this too (that is if it has a story worth a damn). Will be as close as I get to it.
EDIT:
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Not sure if this was posted, but I came across some really cool new footage of Scott Shelby gameplay. Personally, I only watched a few minutes because I suspected spoilers incoming, but it was nice to see a new, interesting locale and some basic Shelby investigation gameplay.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/scott-shelby-heavy-rain-gameplay/339181

Remember, this video most likely contains out-of-context spoilers. Watch if you don't care!
On second though, no I wont...ugh
-viper- said:
why not buy the game and play the game instead?
Because its not a 'game' to me...and I have no PS3 of my own to watch it.

mujun

Callibretto said:
in point and click adventure, what you suggest is equal to pixel hunting for that tiny, hard to find, subtle clues as the ingredients to solve the puzzles.

I think I prefer to have more useless/ misleading clues and spend more time thinking on the puzzles than more time moving my mouse cursor 1 millimeters at a time.:D

Or maybe they could do something so that it was like a real mystery, you know have knowledge gaps that force you to look for patterns or make it all about discovering where clues are and how they relate to each other.

@HK-47, Oh no there are so many red herrings I might as well flip a coin to decide whether any given clue is true or false.

You are an idiot.

Thanks for the summary :D

In my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons (and some cons are even pros for me). I'm so glad the game is turning out fine. I want a buffet of crows served on 21st for all the naysayers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mujun said:
Or maybe they could do something so that it was like a real mystery, you know have knowledge gaps that force you to look for patterns or make it all about discovering where clues are and how they relate to each other.

@HK-47, Oh no there are so many red herrings I might as well flip a coin to decide whether any given clue is true or false.

You are an idiot.

If its well constructed, you wouldnt need to flip a coin. You'd be able to figure it out.

But I guess a meatbag such as yourself needs all the help he can get.

slamskank

Deepack said:
You're about to enter the world of my imagination. You are entering my darkplace.

*Cue eighties synth tune*
Listen. When I first joined this hospital I was strictly solo. You were first real buddy I ever had. But if you and he wish to be best buddies again, I won't stand in your way.

mujun

HK-47 said:
If its well constructed, you wouldnt need to flip a coin. You'd be able to figure it out.

But I guess a meatbag such as yourself needs all the help he can get.

No shit.

We are discussing the two extremes though when the best option is something that strikes a balance. Not to mention that all of this came about based on one comment translated from a magazine review and have no idea whether it actually applies to the game or not.

I'm not exactly sure of the negative connotations of "meatbag."

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mujun said:
No shit.

We are discussing the two extremes though when the best option is something that strikes a balance. Not to mention that all of this came about based on one comment translated from a magazine review and have no idea whether it actually applies to the game or not.

I'm not exactly sure of the negative connotations of "meatbag."

Well I'm only sure you have never played KotOR. And I'm not discussing an extreme at all. I'm discussing good design that doesnt handhold the player, especially since I dont think such an investigation should be a straight shot. It should be full of doubt and lies and half truths.

Top Bottom