• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Necro900

Are people really defending a 1/10 and blatant unprofessionalism? As far as we know he's the only one with this issue, and he should've at least reached out to Ninja Theory for insight before getting a 1/10 recorded on metacritic and calling the game "unplayable crap".

I guess all Bethesda games and even GOTY material is unplayable crap if you're unlucky enough.

Any idea how lengthy the adventure is? Can't find out after skimming through like 5 reviews ...

Last time I checked the developers were saying 6-8 hours

NewDust

It was just a joke. I have been excited for Hellblade for a long time and was always buying day 1. I'm just not a fan of Jim and if his stupid 1/10 score hurts the dev when it comes to metacritic bonuses he should be ashamed

Wut?! Who is supposed to pay these bonuses? It's self published. On top of that, how is releasing a game with a game breaking bug anyone else to blame than the developer? In a world where this would affect 'metacritic bonuses' (which are shameful on it's own) in these cases, it's totally on the developer.

I think it's pretty sad to see some more interesting in appeasing developers than giving the best information possible to consumers. It should never be the job of a reviewer to hold a review back and give the developer time to fix a product they're selling to the public. Now, you might have a point if the embargo lifted prior to the game's launch, but that was not the case here.
For real. This is a game shipping with a gamebreaking bug and people are annoyed that someone called them out? Fuck I'd never ever trust a reviewer again if they found that bug and still have it a high score. People would rather protect developers bonuses than customers. Crazy.

Are people really defending a 1/10 and blatant unprofessionalism? As far as we know he's the only one with this issue, and he should've at least reached out to Ninja Theory for insight before getting a 1/10 recorded on metacritic and calling the game "unplayable crap".

I guess all Bethesda games and even GOTY material is unplayable crap if you're unlucky enough.

Last time I checked the developers were saying 6-8 hours
Running into a gamebreaking bug and giving the game a high score is 100% "unprofessional" or whatever buzz word you want to use.

I like Hellblade a lot, but if he had a gamebreaking bug, that's in no way his fault. I understand you guys want the game to succeed but he in no way owes it to them to hide information for the sake of that.

Necro900

For real. This is a game shipping with a gamebreaking bug and people are annoyed that someone called them out? Fuck I'd never ever trust a reviewer again if they found that bug and still have it a high score. People would rather protect developers bonuses than customers. Crazy.

Running into a gamebreaking bug and giving the game a high score is 100% "unprofessional" or whatever buzz word you want to use.

Except maybe the other reviewers didn't encounter it?

If every game that gets published and has an uncommon game breaking bug at 1.0 is "unplayable crap", then you'd be surprised to know how much unplayable crap we've enjoyed throughout the years.

Bethesda games give the player multiple save points. It's actually pretty tough to completely ruin an entire playthrough because of that. That being said, Bethesda games definitely get a pass for their technical disasters a bit too often.

Well yeah, and that's why none of them gave the game a 1/10, which is fine.

Savitar

How common is the bug? I did not watch the Sterlingreview so I dont know what exactly and when it did happen, but maybe the just didnt notice it before.

Don't know how uncommon it is or isn't. It doesn't appear he did anything wrong, a thing that should have triggered didn't and he got beyond a point where he needed said item and since he didn't and couldn't get any more the character would die. Again. And again. And again no matter what he tried.

Maybe there is something to the bug, maybe there isn't. Could be bad luck. Only way to know is if others start reporting it.

Cool. What does that have to do with anything I said?

If every game that gets published and has an uncommon game breaking bug at 1.0 is "unplayable crap", then you'd be surprised to know how much unplayable crap we've enjoyed throughout the years
And those reviewers that ran into the problem would be 100% well within their rights to give it a 1/10.

Endo Punk

Sucks about the game breaking bug, guess we know where they cut corners now. Reviews largely in line with their last games though.

Necro900

Cool. What does that have to do with anything I said?
I figured out it was a stab at big name reviewers who supposedly gave the game a high score anyways. My bad.

And those reviewers that ran into the problem would be 100% well within their rights to give it a 1/10.

So, let's suppose you review books for a living. You get sent an incredible book, everyone is loving it in your industry and people are writing great reviews. You're loving it but.. you're missing the last pages, infact, the book stops in the middle of a sentence. It's obviously a printing issue: do you review your experience with the book so far (which sucks, given there's no ending) or do you at least get in touch with the publisher who provided you with the copy and sort things out to get to the end and give your readers the most accurate and fair review of a product?

There's a review thread now, so we should probably move discussions about that aspect of the game over to that topic.

Oof, missed this. Good, then.

robotrock

Banned
Ninja Theory is totally up there in terms of being masters of presentation. Their games always look so slick, this one especially with all the cool camera work.

Amazing OP, but holy fuck it does a number on my dyslexia. Couldn't even finish reading. Not a condemnation on you but man typefaces made for display/headings/signage are terrible when used for the body and display.

Anyways on to the game itself, I've been following it on and off saw a vertical slice of combat a month or two back where the game beat went on too long but the combat itself looked pretty good.

Might pick this up since it's only $30

So, uh I've died quite a few times to the fire and
the rot is already halfway up her arm. Should I reset? I don't even have both marks yet.

melkier33

Holy shit this game is intense. Also really like how they kind of give you a clue on not missing the collectable. I'm only a little over 3 hours in with 28% trophies. Ninja Theory is Hellblade 2 up for pre-order yet? Also I'm going to need you to go ahead and get the rights for Diablo.

Lime

Also asking this here: Does the game suffer from the same eye-rolling writing and over-dramatic acting that Ninja Theory always have in their games? A narrative-heavy game with the quality of writing I saw in Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, and DmC is not something I am interested in.

These goddamn
fire
sequences have taken my life 4 times now. I didn't know they were timed and Senua would drop and die randomnly even when she's
not on fire
if you don't go fast enough. I can already see the
rot going past my elbow now :(.

The
flame
boss was dope though. I like how the game doesn't throw up button prompts to tell you what ability to use. Gotta listen closely to the voices. I thought they were telling me to focus because I was getting beat up at first.

Zojirushi

Also asking this here: Does the game suffer from the same eye-rolling writing and over-dramatic acting that Ninja Theory always have in their games? A narrative-heavy game with the quality of writing I saw in Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, and DmC is not something I am interested in.

Huh, honestly first time I heard someone complain about Ninja Theory writing. People usually only shit on their gameplay, story and characters are pretty much why these games are still cool.

Seems like a game that's more focused on presentation than compelling gameplay. This thing's going to have to get incredible GAF impressions at this point for me to consider checking it out. I really enjoyed DmC, so that's kind of a shame, but oh well. Not every game is meant for every player.
Presentation and gameplay arent seperate entities though. Presentation, atmosphere, and context are major factors in what makes gameplay compelling, and vice versa. The elements of a game are interwoven and interconnected, gameplay doesn't exist in a vacuum. Basic or simple doesn't equate to not compelling

prudislav

For real. This is a game shipping with a gamebreaking bug and people are annoyed that someone called them out? Fuck I'd never ever trust a reviewer again if they found that bug and still have it a high score. People would rather protect developers bonuses than customers. Crazy..

still if he give 1/10 because of single game beaking bug and otherwise would give 8/10 ... something is really really wrong with his rating system

Bought and downloading now!
Excited to give this a go later tonight.

Hopefully my slightly battered wireless 2.0 PS4 headset is good enough to experience the audio in this game.

"The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua's head, her quest is over. And all progress will be lost."

Is there a way to have the rot go back like can you heal or the rot stays permanent and you've only got a limited amount of deaths? Just wondering if I should continue or reset having put the combat difficulty on Hard :p Oh wait, I can just change the combat difficulty at any point. Nevermind.

If you thought Enslaved had eyerolling writing you might not like this. I thought Enslaved was written very well.

MrS

Banned
"The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua's head, her quest is over. And all progress will be lost."

Is there a way to have the rot go back like can you heal or the rot stays permanent and you've only got a limited amount of deaths? Just wondering if I should continue or reset having put the combat difficulty on Hard :p Oh wait, I can just change the combat difficulty at any point. Nevermind.
Seems to be permanent. I have been save scumming every 15 minutes.

Hey, can anyone with the game tell me if it's possible to "save scum", so to speak?
Yes it's viable.

kc44135

Hey, can anyone with the game tell me if it's possible to "save scum", so to speak? As in, if you think you're getting close to a game over, you could copy your save over to PS+ or a USB drive, and continue from there if things be go bad? I want to know because I was interested in this game, but I don't like this permadeath mechanic, lol.

To be fair, I haven't started playing this yet, but people are really going to save-scum this? I feel that's like playing your favorite horror game at noon with all the lights on and music blasting. In other words, neutering an aspect of the game.

Although to be honest, I tend to roll with the punches in games and find the notion of, for example, modding out creatures in Soma, to be just as weird as wanting to save-scum here

Maybe I'll feel differently once I play, just basing that on what I've read in this thread

MrS

Banned
To be fair, I haven't started playing this yet, but people are really going to save-scum this? I feel that's like playing your favorite horror game at noon with all the lights on and music blasting. In other words, neutering an aspect of the game.
Is your favourite horror game permadeath?

Nothing is being neutered because it seems hard to die anyway - save scumming in this game is merely a precautionary measure. You will see what I mean when you play it.

kc44135

Although to be honest, I tend to roll with the punches in games and find the notion of, for example, modding out creatures in Soma, to be just as weird as wanting to save-scum here

Maybe I'll feel differently once I play, just basing that on what I've read in this thread

I get what you're saying, but none of the games you refer to have a permadeath mechanic. I don't want to have to replay any game from the beginning again when it could potentially take hours to get back to where I was in the game.

anddo0

Wow nice reception so far. Hellblade was always on my radar, but largely ignored until recently. I'm considering the PC version over PS4, because of the sound design/headphone experience. My PC headphones give me much better sound isolation. I don't want anything interrupting this experience.

The price makes this a insta-buy. The games visuals look amazing, sound and story look on point. I just hope I don't have to restart because of deaths.

Yaster

From what I have heard save scumming isn't actually required and that people going on about "permadeath" haven't actually finished the game or taken notice of what is happening.

Apparently there is some sort of "the cake is a lie" twist at the end
. I haven't finished or even played the game yet, but just something to bear in mind.

Presentation and gameplay arent seperate entities though. Presentation, atmosphere, and context are major factors in what makes gameplay compelling, and vice versa. The elements of a game are interwoven and interconnected, gameplay doesn't exist in a vacuum. Basic or simple doesn't equate to not compelling

Maybe "compelling" wasn't the correct wording. Replace that with "complex" and/or "challenging", I guess.

I have nothing ill to say to these types of experiences, they just aren't for me, in most cases. Exceptions do exist though (SOMA, for example), so if this receives high praise from GAF over an extended period of time, I may check it out.

Top Bottom