• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Ladies - A mortifying, hilarious, melancholy cringe comedy - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Just now catching up by watching all the episodes in one long night :) It has been very fun and I'm now sad that I have to stop gorging myself on this show.

I don't like that Stuart is cheap when they need him to be cheap, but also blows extravagant amounts of money when the plot calls for it. The inconsistency is bothersome.

Jessica's rivalry with the other actress feels like a near-complete retread of material from Extras. You could almost swap out the scripts of the two shows and those scenes where the actor interacts with a more successful competitor would play out exactly the same (though Gervais' rival in Extras was a bit more cruel and malevolent). But hey, I guess it's not so bad if it results in more tapdance scenes.

I mostly just hope that they do something to mix up the formula, because it's become a bit predictable.

That Wade scene was really, really good.

i wonder what they make at that factory...

Haha that whole sequence was great. Fuckin Rory

I adore this show! It's got just about the limit of cringe worthy scene I can endure mixed with parts where you have sympathy, or perhaps humanising moments, for the characters.

This week, the list on his computer. The end of that list hit close to home.

But you know what I love the most? The ending songs. Always absolutely stonkingly brilliant choices.

Theme: Hall & Oates - Alone Too Long
#1: Exile - Kiss You All Over
#2: Bill LaBounty - Look Who's Lonely Now
#3: Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City
#4: Al Stewart - Year of the Cat

Edit: Made this post before reading the posts. Glad to see more people loving the soundtrack!

Love the theme song. Usually turn over as soon as the credits start so I'll check the rest out too, cheers!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Penultimate episode tonight!

The Wedding

Attending a wedding with Jessica and Glenn, Stuart tries to reconfigure the seating plan after learning he won't be at a table with attractive, single women. Meanwhile, Jessica waits to hear about her call-back audition for the lead role in a network show.

BadHand

Love the theme song. Usually turn over as soon as the credits start so I'll check the rest out too, cheers!

All Merchant's stuff has excellent music. Being a radio DJ for the first large portion of his career obviously rubbed off on his taste, I loved the songs he played on XFM.

Seeing Merchant on his own, versus Gervais on his own (Derek, stand-up, etc) really highlights who the talent was in that writing team for me.

Nuklear

Banned
The Jessica stuff tonight with the playwright... so fucking awkward. lol

I can't wait to see what happens next week between him and the model. This was just the first of many teases between him and Jessica.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
He finally got his win. I think 1 episode too late before his awkwardness got to be a bit much and I started questioning whether I was cheering for a lovable loser or a dick head.....

Jerrod

I hope he doesn't get with Jessica, that is too cliche. And they are spending too much time on Jessica, I wish she was just a secondary character through whom Stuart gains access to the socialites of L.A. I like how he is slowly building up his relationship with his dream model, but I wonder where they will go with that. He should know by now that she and others like her aren't relationship material for him, but it would be cliche if he realized that as well. I just hope they come up with something unique because so far this show is pretty unique and I really like it.

Empty

eh wasn't that fond of the episode. i've read too many girl-age threads for the nice guy stuff not to seem really boring and i don't like way the show is moving jessica and stuart towards eachother. it was good that stuart did act like a normal person here and was charming, as balance to everything, though the wedding table scene felt gratuitous.

i did like some jessica scenes. the ipad bit was great, i love it when shows make jokes about how new technology changes the way you interact. i also liked that jessica's rival was in the same audition at the start, she might act more esteemed but she's in for the same low level roles.

kaskade

I hope he doesn't get with Jessica, that is too cliche. And they are spending too much time on Jessica, I wish she was just a secondary character through whom Stuart gains access to the socialites of L.A. I like how he is slowly building up his relationship with his dream model, but I wonder where they will go with that. He should know by now that she and others like her aren't relationship material for him, but it would be cliche if he realized that as well. I just hope they come up with something unique because so far this show is pretty unique and I really like it.

I think the writing sees that it would be cliche. They made it really seem like it was going to happen (and he seemed to kind of want it to). I kind of want to see him get a win with the model. He's an asshole but not really. He's just desperate and doesn't know how to act in some situations.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
lol @ the model ordering a steak and then only eating one bite.

I really liked that episode. It was the most melancholy of the lot so far and I thought it struck a good balance between the cringe and the more somber stuff.

has this show been renewed yet?

No, it hasn't and I have no idea whether it will be or not. Next week might very well be the series finale.

I'm kinda surprised to see so much love for this in here. Its easily the disappointment of the year for me. I feel like I've seen every scene several times over in other shows.

it's not that great but it's watchable. kind of charming. it's the how to make it in america of 2013 for me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
still loving the show. was nice seeing him being an actual person and the quick bit of 'aww fuck it' realisation.

I felt bad for him when he was forced to sit at the table with the oblivious, insufferable parents and the little shit of a child they adore.

I'm kinda surprised to see so much love for this in here. Its easily the disappointment of the year for me. I feel like I've seen every scene several times over in other shows.

You're not watching Agents of SHIELD, I guess? That's the only new show I've watched this fall that has horrifically disappointed me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I felt bad for him when he was forced to sit at the table with the oblivious, insufferable parents and the little shit of a child they adore.

"What's he like?!"

"What's he like!"

oh my god what does that even mean

I've never seen any of the Gervais/Merchant stuff before, so it's all new to me.

Scuderia

"Fuck you, fuckin' googly-eyed beanpole cunt"

Still laughing at this now, almost 24 hours after watching, his reaction is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom