• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Ladies - A mortifying, hilarious, melancholy cringe comedy - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even feel bad for this fucker. Why would you give your room to a girl to hook up with another guy? WHY? I almost cringed into another dimension.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't even feel bad for this fucker. Why would you give your room to a girl to hook up with another guy? WHY? I almost cringed into another dimension.

He's a nice guy.

That actually makes me want to watch it. Similar type of show, with a different style of humor?

How to Make it in America? They're completely different types of shows. Not similar to each other at all.

I think he just meant that they're both underappreciated/overlooked gems.

He's a nice guy.

How to Make it in America? They're completely different types of shows. Not similar to each other at all.

I think he just meant that they're both underappreciated/overlooked gems.

How to make it was good at the start.

Then it just became like Entourage in its last season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale airs tonight!

The Drive

In the Season 1 finale, Stephen can't stop talking about his pending date with Kimberly, and also serves as his friends' chauffeur to various parties, including one for Amelia's birthday, where Jessica delights in gaining the upper hand on her rival.

Red Comet

I don't get HBO, but I'm looking forward to buying this on iTunes eventually. I love Steve Merchant's brand of humor and the pilot was great.

Vyer

That was a solid finale. Showed a little progression and both Wade and Stuart's decisions resonated, telling me the show has done a good job of investing me in these characters. I hope to see more.

But man...that's a tough call at the end. Lol

Empty

decent finale. thought the kimberly scenes were pretty boring. louie handled similar material much better. liked the jessica and wade stuff. was really worried they'd end with stuart and jessica making out on the sofa, what they went with was sweet and nice. "oh you're on first name terms now", call back to naming three movies etc.

overall a pretty decent season. it's too uneven and cartoonsish in some of how it does the cringe scenes to compare to the office and extras, but it's good and there's lots of room for improvement in a second season - like with the similar british comedy brought to america on hbo veep. i hope it gets one.

Wes

venison crêpe
Caught up on episodes 7 and 8. The Wedding started off terribly excruciating but then had some really sincere moments. Same for the finale. I think that's what I like most about this show. There are some absolutely dire moments, just blood-curdling, embarrassing cringe but you have to get through that to get to the heart-warming scenes. Kind of like looking for love.

I updated the music list too.

Theme: Hall & Oates - Alone Too Long
#1: Exile - Kiss You All Over
#2: Bill LaBounty - Look Who's Lonely Now
#3: Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City
#4: Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
#5: Bread - The Guitar Man
#6: Gerry Rafferty.- Get It Right Next Time
#7: Roxy Music - Oh Yeah
#8: 10cc - Marriage Bureau Rendezvous

I really felt for her when she knew she didn't get the NCIS job. I've been a similar situation and know how it feels.

Being there for his friend shows Stuart's true character.

Saya

Almost finished the first season. This is absolutely hilarious. Loving each episode. Great music as well.

Please tell me this has been picked up for a second season?

Barrage

Show fell off. The last two episodes didn't feel earned. Think i'm out if there is a Season 2.

That being said, I really enjoyed Christine Woods as Jessica. I'll be on the lookout for her in whatever she does next.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In Defense Of 'Hello, Ladies': HBO's Best Comedy Is Nothing To Cringe At

The writer Mike Davis, in his classic L.A. exegesis, City of Quartz, calls the city “a place where you can rot without feeling it.”

While they engage in some of television’s tropes, even some of the ones Stephen Merchant’s “cringe” comedies helped solidify, the characters in Hello Ladies are seeing signs of rot and that undercurrent makes the show not just funny but expertly observed. Their angst is magnified by the distance and the chill of the canyon night. If you’ve only ever flown over the Hollywood sign, you may have a tough time getting the joke.

Hello Ladies: Los Angeles Is Where Dreams (and Egos) Go to Die

The thing about Los Angeles that successful people in Los Angeles don't want to admit is that, contrary to what the "Welcome to the Jungle" video taught us, it's not a place where dreams are made. Those dreams are made elsewhere, before hopping on a bus and paying $1,150 a month for a poorly lit room on the outskirts of Echo Park. Los Angeles is much more compelling when it's being honest: It's where dreams, once made, go to die.

This profound, psychological failure is at the root of Hello Ladies.

~

Has this show been renewed yet?

Please tell me this has been picked up for a second season?

Nope.

God, I really loved this season. Some episodes were definitely better than others, but every one had me laughing out loud. Great finale, loved that
Stuart developed from being a selfish asshole. He told Wade what he actually thought about his attempts to get his wife back, when in the past it seemed like he wasn't even listening to him. He gave him some real talk, that's tough to do, but did it because he really wanted his friend to get past this part of his life. And then he forgoes his model that he's been dreaming about to be a good friend. And it's not just some "I've actually been in love with her all the time" bullshit, it's just "Fuck, I've done some shitty things to meet this model, but I can't just let her eat shit so I can get laid." Great finale. Love this show.

Jerrod

Didn't like the finale. I don't think Stuart would care enough about Jessica to forgo all the hand work he put into getting the model (I certainly don't care enough about Jessica). Jessica is about as superficial as Stuart. If anything, the more believable action would be Stuart going to hang out with Wade and maybe picking up the cripple along the way. He really ditched the cripple (no ride, nobody he knows to help him into a cab, didn't even tell him he was leaving) and Wade seems to be his only/best friend and is in a really bad place emotionally, worse than Jessica who just didn't get a job and it was probably her own fault for being a bad actress. Jessica is just a tenant and they are starting to develop a friendship but I don't think it was there yet for him to make the decision that he did.

I feel like the whole season was undone by that final action.

qumo

Neo Member
Just finished this series. The comedy in the show is a little uneven through the season but when it hits, it hits hard. I hope it gets renewed.

Having seen this and Derek by Gervais I don't know which one is the better comedian, I liked both series.

I only saw two minutes of one episode, wherein a dude gets told by his wife that she wants a divorce and he has to play it off because he keeps a smile up for (I presume) his daugher, and the main character putting his garage door down to see a message that he sucks cock.

Don't know if I got a proper impression of the show, but that divorce part...damn man. I had feels.

Just finished this series. The comedy in the show is a little uneven through the season but when it hits, it hits hard. I hope it gets renewed.

Having seen this and Derek by Gervais I don't know which one is the better comedian, I liked both series.

I love how you can now dissect which one brought the maudlin and which one brought the cringe to Office/Extras.

ivysaur12

Banned
What did we think, GAF? The impressions in this thread seem pretty positive, so I think I might jump in this weekend. Good move?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On a scale to delightful dinner conversation to Amy Jellicoe telling Krista to go fuck herself right after she's given birth, where are we?

Oh ivy....

I don't think you're ready for this.

Oh my god.

It's significantly worse than anything on Enlightened.

You'll be pausing every 5 seconds.

Episode 4 literally make me feel physically ill.

Yeah, I had multiple moments of watching through my fingers or not even being able to look at the screen over the course of the season.

I'd still definitely recommend it. It's not earth-shatteringly good or anything but it's a decent watch.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of cliches, but it was a good show overall. One of the more uncomfortable shows I've watched.

Season two, if there is one, needs more Kyle Mooney.

Wes

venison crêpe
On a scale to delightful dinner conversation to Amy Jellicoe telling Krista to go fuck herself right after she's given birth, where are we?

It's really good. Don't be worried if you have to pause because of the cringe. Loads of people do it.

It's worth it for the soundtrack alone.

If you need some more Merchant, he's got a very funny interview here. If you've not yet subscribed to Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast, I suggest you do. They're all hilarious, but I thoroughly recommend the Stephen Fry one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom