• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Ladies - A mortifying, hilarious, melancholy cringe comedy - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a solid show, but you could tell it wasn't gonna go beyond the first season. Showed potential, but there wasn't enough laughs per episode for it get any serious word of mouth, which is totally what a show like this needs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's a shame, but at least we're getting a wrap up special! I'm guessing it'll be an hour long, which is the equivalent of two more episodes.

I wonder how the special episode will work.

It'll probably be similar to the one hour wrap up special that Gervais and Merchant's 'Life's Too Short' received.

Was there a reason? Low figures? Surely not bad reviews? Fuck sake.

While ratings are important for HBO in making renewal decisions, the premium outlet also considers shelf space, awards season recognition, critical reviews, social media buzz as well as if the series makes financial sense for the network.

Hello Ladies had pretty good ratings (on par with Girls), but absolutely no awards recognition, lackluster critical notices, and no social media buzz. Looks like HBO opted to take their chances with a new series instead of trying to build onto the shaky foundation of Hello Ladies.

The finale left a bad taste in my mouth but I generally enjoyed this show.

I wanted Wade to get his due and finally
tell his wife to fuck off.

I'm sad I'll never see that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm partly joking, but I don't trust any of their "we're canceling the show but we're totally going to follow it up with stuff" shit after Deadwood and No1 Detective Agency.

I mean, sure, but there is a precedent for this sort of thing with another of Merchant's series. I think it'll happen.

megamerican

Why would they cancel this? Absolutely mental.

The critics didn't love it which is a death knell for HBO shows. Seems like they'll tolerate a lower rated show if they get some support behind it.

I think Netflix should pick it up. To be honest it felt more like a Showtime comedy or something on Netflix anyway.

DrBo42

Well that's a shame. Not really surprised though. Show is hard to watch at times and Merchant doesn't really draw people in here in the states.

Officially cancelled! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RtlpXsl8k
LLShC.gif

yodandy

So I had heard the news that they were getting a 1.5 hour finale 'special' on HBO, but apparently they are now marketing it as a 'movie'.

http://instagram.com/p/rM--XSPfbh/

Probably the same thing, but good to know we'll get some resolution. I thought this show was great, hopefully someone picks it up.

So I had heard the news that they were getting a 1.5 hour finale 'special' on HBO, but apparently they are now marketing it as a 'movie'.

http://instagram.com/p/rM--XSPfbh/

Probably the same thing, but good to know we'll get some resolution. I thought this show was great, hopefully someone picks it up.
It's really cool we get some kind of wrap up, most shows don't get that courtesy

Show was good, I would have liked to see what it could have evolved into.

Miss this show. Loved catching up with it when it aired. We may not be getting a second series (which almost everyone in this thread wanted) but a 1.5 hour special is better than nothing I suppose. I'm guessing they want to finish Stephen Merchant's storyline in terms of him
getting it on and forming a relationship with his room mate

I'll be watching the special as soon as it airs for sure. This show was great and deserved a second series IMO.

So it looks like the special has been shot and is finished now and Stephen's just waiting for HBO to determine the air date. Some people have been asking him about it on Twitter:

James Holland @JNSHolland
@StephenMerchant whens this Hello ladies special coming out?!

@JNSHolland: @StephenMerchant when's this Hello ladies special coming out?! I'll announce here when I know for sure.

I would have thought November at the latest then. It's a shame this series didn't continue (I seriously enjoyed every minute of it) but at least we're getting a conclusion. Anyone who has even remotely followed the show probably already knows what will happen in terms of plot:

Stephen inevitably starting a relationship with the American actress he lives with and abandoning the search for finding his one true love in bars or whatever.

Still though excited to see the conclusion regardless. Hopefully there'll be some more news soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom