• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

Mandatory systemic achievements still aren't an industry standard - and never should be - no matter how much you love achievements or keep declaring how they are

Even though I'm a fan of achievements/trophies I see no problem not including them. They definitely affect how I play games and not always in a positive way.

After getting burned (kinda) with a GBA before replacing it with an SP and with how much I preferred the lite over the original DS, I'm inclined to wait for the the first hardware revision.

Ok I guess it's fine for everyone like me to go into the Switch OT and completely trash the Switch and the OP of that thread since I have many disagreements with everyone praising it in that thread.

That would be fair since people are coming in here mocking the OP right?

Seriously let's control ourselves just a bit.

Shiggy

I don't think those are really issues for the 1 to 2 million people who bought or intend to buy a system this month.

Hedgey

Have you played Puyo Puyo Tetris with the Joycon? It feels amazing. Incredibly precise movements and quick drops.
I was playing it with a Pro Controller at a preview event and I absolutely hated the D-Pad. I had 2-3 accidental quick drops due to the poor d-pad.
This is one case where the Joycon are perfect.

I'm way into my Switch. My housemate and I have our own Switches, and have been taking turns on the living room TV playing Zelda. One person can play on the tablet while the other person plays on the TV, this shit is awesome. I was a bit worried about the issues everyone has been pointing out, but when you're playing games, you kind of forget about them.

the_id

I'm loving my so far. The fact that I can play Zelda in the lounge, my bedroom, the toilet, in my clinic.

My only gripe - I FUCKING WANT MORE NINTENDO GAMES!

Atolm

The launch feels like just a soft-launch to ride the Zelda wave. Everything is as barebones as it gets.

My guess is that the real "launch" will be holiday season. But things are going to be rough once the Zelda honeymoon ends.

I reckon Switch's faults, and there are a few, but I feel it's a good console.

Way better than WiiU.

Now it only has to deliver good games.

Mister X

Neo Member
I love mine and can't wait to see what's in store for it. No scratches after docking it several times either, imagine that.

Caelus

I'll happily discuss it after I get it on Monday and have sunk 100+ hours in Zelda.

That being said, I think Nintendo is quite aware of how much Zelda is propping up the Switch's release. I think they would've released it much later otherwise, with a more cooked system.

I don't think anyone can debate that this is awful hardware with a terrible launch. There's really no arguing that. That said, I hope people enjoy it and it does well enough to get a significant hardware revision down the line.

Trace

Banned
I mean, this thing is basically a zelda machine for the next couple months. Hopefully all that OS stuff gets updated/changed soon.

Pretty much this. They killed it with Zelda but the launch is as barebones as they come. I'm sure by this time next year most/all of the problems will be fixed and we'll have Zelda/Splatoon/Arms/Mario/Xenoblade on it. Just a premature launch with some hardware problems to go with it.

Even though I'm a fan of achievements/trophies I see no problem not including them. They definitely affect how I play games and not always in a positive way.

After getting burned (kinda) with a GBA before replacing it with an SP and with how much I preferred the lite over the original DS, I'm inclined to wait for the the first hardware revision.

I dont care about trophies or achievements but its annoying when those notifications pop up when im playing a damn game.
Haha no. It's excellent so far. There are a bunch of issues but not enough to keep it down.

what really annoys me more than i thought it no netflix and no browser

Biggest flaw is that saves are tied to the hardware. That's a glaring issue if someone puts in 60 hours in Zelda and needs to get their unit serviced and they decide to just swap it.

They did that with my Wii but thankfully my saves were backed up on a card.

Dock scratch issue is second biggest flaw to me. Could be solved by them simply including some soft felt on the interior. Ridiculous.

Lack of bluetooth audio stings as those are my primary headphones. I do wish there were achievements.

All in all it's a barebones experience right now but I do think Nintendo plans to iterate on this with better software improvements so I'm willing to be patient.

For me I purchased the Switch as a secondary/situational console. It will never be my main machine for gaming. I have an XB1 for that and will have a Scorpio for that. But for Nintendo games, indie games, and just for times my wife is on the TV and I'm in the mood to game I have a switch to rock. So it'll work for me despite its shortcomings.

Pretty much this. They killed it with Zelda but the launch is as barebones as they come. I'm sure by this time next year most/all of the problems will be fixed and we'll have Zelda/Splatoon/Arms/Mario/Xenoblade on it. Just a premature launch with some hardware problems to go with it.

I'm kinda shocked they didn't even have some Wii U games to port to Switch for launch. I mean, there's an entire library I never touched that I would have purchased for Switch.

Man I like the Switch (even if I didn't buy it yet) but I'm getting tired of all the threads and negativity and complaints and stuff.
Feels like there's a thread for anything about it and then people blow things out of proportion for the smallest things

Just take a deep breath sometimes and chill jeez

Nintendo console launches always bring these people out to complain. There's been a large group of angry people who want them to stop making hardware and they've been harping on every little misstep or issue during console launches and otherwise since the GameCube.

It's pretty pathetic. If you own a system and are having a problem with it I understand complaining. Don't feel like you need to run a PR campaign talking about how bad a system is though. There have been a lot of hopeful and misplaced posts eager to run salt in every perceived wound of the switch lately.

nullpoynter

I disagree with much of what you say. Some of the complaints are simply not true for me, and others will obviously be addressed in time (apps, games library). Now, that doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't deserve criticism, by to call the Switch a failure after two days is silly tantrum talk.

I and many many others like me are, for now, more than happy with a great piece of versatile hardware and one of the greatest games ever made (also by Nintendo).
Agreed. I couldn't have said it better. People need to just chill and enjoy their console. The Switch will only get better as time goes by.

The launch feels like just a soft-launch to ride the Zelda wave. Everything is as barebones as it gets.

My guess is that the real "launch" will be holiday season. But things are going to be rough once the Zelda honeymoon ends.

I mean PS4 was rough too since it was a long fucking time till an actual decent game came along. The game that truly defined the PS4 for me was Bloodborne and it was a long wait.

At least switch has a system seller right off the bat. Plus Splatoon, Mario kart, and Arms are coming soon.

It's a fair listing of the failings of the switch as a platform. Question then is what is Nintendo gonna do about this.

Be interesting to see how the casual market takes this once the hardcore early adopter phase has passed.

Its price is probably the biggest deterrent

jdmonmou

Games
Everything seems to be either overpriced, compromised in the form of graphical fidelity and performance in comparison to competitors, or just simply being a port of an indie game. The few titles that don't fall into this group such as Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are typically handicapped by something such as the the lack of a d-pad. Triple A third-party support is nowhere to be found. The Virtual Console could have helped fill a void but it hasn't been announced as to when it will be available.

Yeah this is the deal breaker for me. Switch would've probably been my primary gaming device if it had strong 3rd party support due to its portability. Nintendo 1st party games aren't a strong enough reason to warrant a console purchase from me anymore. I'm kind of bummed out Nintendo doesn't seem to learn from previous mistakes. A console that you can take on the go would kick serious ass if it got all the games the other consoles did. The Nintendo old-guard keeps getting in the way with some stupid ass decision making.

Majmun

Would be a disater without Zelda.

Really, Zelda's quality is what keeping this system somehwat interesting now.

notaskwid

I wouldn't recommended nobody to buy one right now.
Sad that some issues can only be resolved with a system revision.

btrboyev

I think at the very least, we should have had game journalist doing a better job of telling us a few things.

Screen being plastic
Dock possible causing scratches

Spy

Nintendo console launches always bring these people out to complain. There's been a large group of angry people who want them to stop making hardware and they've been harping on every little misstep or issue during console launches and otherwise since the GameCube.

It's pretty pathetic. If you own a system and are having a problem with it I understand complaining. Don't feel like you need to run a PR campaign talking about how bad a system is though. There have been a lot of hopeful and misplaced posts eager to run salt in every perceived wound of the switch lately.
I bought a Switch and am enjoying Zelda quite a bit. I am just able to pull myself outside that one game and see how large the other issues are. It's a huge problem when you're too scared to connect your system to the dock.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Switch has more issues then any gaming system I've ever seen. But these issues are all covered in the numerous threads plastered all over Neo GAF's front page.

Did we need a new thread to regurgitate the same points being discussed in other threads?

The few titles that don't fall into this group such as Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are typically handicapped by something such as the the lack of a d-pad.

I thought this was going to be a huge problem, but my time spent with the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo highlights this as a non-issue (at least for me).

boiled goose

good with gravy
So far their lack of progress regarding online and digital content management has me super frustrated and disappointed.

Almost feeling like not buying Nintendo hardware ever again. I want to play games, but they are failing me as a platform holder.

Things I needed:

Region free
Proper account (games tied to account only not locked to specific hardware generation)
Good VC support
Os level online features like matchmaking, voicechat
Integrated system level achievements (should be My Nintendo.. )

I got 1 out of all of the PLUS a regression to friend codes (different between switch and their mobile games despite all tied to account wtf), and paid online as of yet no details.

It's almost a complete failure for me in terms of things I cared about. Sucks.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This is like an exact copy and paste of another thread that I think got locked, give it up.

There are threads for issues with all consoles. The Xbox One OS is so slow, the DS4 build quality is garbage, data management on PS4 sucks etc. If there are issues to be discussed, they should be up for discussion. This isn't really a Nintendo thing as far as I see it. There are haters, staunch defenders, and reasonable people in the middle for every "team"

I will say the thread title here is unnecessarily inflammatory.

Jrs3000

The switch is launching almost feeling incomplete but they nailed the structure to build off of and can fix OS, games, and adjust pricing. My major issue is hardware problems with the joy con an dock. I doubt they can fix the joycon issue with a update. I'm thinking they might just send out something to cover the area that touches the screen that you can apply yourself while they revise future docks to come with it.

Top Bottom