• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

Shengar

You just wouldn't give up, don't you?

There was no consoles beside the Saturn where their where their messed up launch locked the fate of the system. Xbox 360 had massive hardware problem, PS3 price was straight up extortion and its architecture made it difficult for 3rd party to release multiplat game at first, leading to software drought. Yet both consoles still managed to sell fucktons of system because both respective company constantly improving them over time.

This is not taking into account that technology have changed since 7th generation console. The PS3 have different OS functionality today that when it was released. This is something that would be improved as time goes on.

Same with software really. Don't you watch yesterday direct where there's bunch of indies announcement? Wasn't there a game announced just two days before Switch release? So, there wasn't any reason for Nintendo to not withhold the information on any unannounced game that might be released this year.

But I get it. Switch isn't the console that you imagined it to be. No matter the argument is, you will stubbornly cling to your idea until Switch magically turned into the console that you want.

eculley

Neo Member
Zelda is probably the best gave I've personally played in a long time. With that being said, the Switch is severely lacking as a console. I imagine future updates will change this, though.

Eumi

Finally, people are allowed to say bad things about the Switch.

OP I'm not sure where you've been, but people have been discussing these failings for months. Most of these issues already have threads in which people are discussing them.

People are not ignoring these issues.

psyfi

Banned
Only thing I don't like about it are the slightly subpar sticks on the joycon. Otherwise it's fantastic.

antonz

Wow, Ad Hominem 101 by everyone to the OP.

Can anyone actually discuss his points ?

Most people are probably annoyed that he created this exact thread before anyone even had the switch. Which indicates pretty heavily towards an agenda.

As for his points. I will take a snappy OS over a bloated one. Improvements could be made and I am sure over time they will but right now I can go out of sleepmode and into game in 3-4 seconds flat and that is fantastic.

For the sake of battery life things like Streetpass had to die. I think that is a shame but the nonstop pinging of wifi etc. was a huge reason why 3DS had such horrible standby battery life.

CatmanBegins

Neo Member
I'd like to address the points raised but first I need to understand the title.

What do you mean by "failed"? Do you mean Nintendo haven't managed to achieve what they set out to achieve?

Or do you mean failed as in the system can't compete with other present generation consoles?

Or that they've failed consumers somehow?

Elaborate please.

Richie

The online service now costs money with no real value proposition.

Disingenuous to count this given how online as of right now is free, that and we have no idea what the eventual paid one will fully entail.

That thread was locked as it was deemed to be premptive as the switch wasn't out. In fact, you'll find that it's now got the added issues of

Joycon desync issues
Scratch issues

I would go as far as to say that it's docked performance and the frame rate hikes is an issue also. If they can't maintain 30fps then BOTW should be output to 720p while docked so it plays like the handheld mode.

Fitts

I think the biggest failure of their hardware is trying to be a jack of all trades while being a master of none out of the box. I shouldn't have to pay $370 (Switch and Pro controller) for underpowered hardware to play the way I want to when the potential to hit a compelling price point is right there. I have zero need nor interest in portability. They should've had two bundles: home (box with a pro controller) and portable. (tablet with Joy Cons and the option to buy the TV dock/other accessories separately) This brings the cost of entry down for either configuration allowing them to reach a wider audience.

As it stands, I have no interest in buying a Switch because I'm not going to pay for features that add significant cost that I have no use for. If they release a home console configuration that's priced appropriately I'll bite, but as it stands I consider Nintendo out of the console market and all in on handhelds.

Nere

You made the exact same thread a week ago, which got locked. What are you hoping to achieve with remaking the thread again? Every console has issues at launch and how can Nintendo fail the Switch already? Maybe you could say "how much Nintendo has failed the launch of the Switch".

My prayer is that a Switch Lite gets released without a dock and somehow there's better battery life. This seems like the best handheld ever by far. That's all I'll say OP. Most curious to see how this sells.

OS
Aside from being as barebones as it gets; Miiverse, StreetPass, the Internet Browser and Activity Log are now gone. There's no built-in achievement system or party chat which have become industry standards, nor is there apps of any kind such as Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify. Nintendo publicly stated friend codes were going to be eliminated but that's not the case, they have made a return with even the most basic of messaging features being nonexistent. Save data can't be transferred in any way, shape, or form. External media such as audio, video, and images can't be accessed.

Accessories
You can debate worth but there's no denying the fact that the accessories are expensive. The feeling is amplified due to competitor items being priced much lower. Everything feels like an additional fee, from Nintendo not including a charging grip or mic with the Switch, needing the HORI Compact Playstand to charge and play your Switch in tabletop mode, to being forced to buy a microSDXC card sooner rather than later due to the paltry 25GB of available storage.

Games
Everything seems to be either overpriced, compromised in the form of graphical fidelity and performance in comparison to competitors, or just simply being a port of an indie game. The few titles that don't fall into this group such as Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are typically handicapped by something such as the the lack of a d-pad. Triple A third-party support is nowhere to be found. The Virtual Console could have helped fill a void but it hasn't been announced as to when it will be available.

Connectivity
You must use a smartphone app to play and communicate with friends. Bluetooth audio devices are not supported.

The online service now costs money with no real value proposition.

Gimmick
It's touted that the Switch comes with two controllers out of the box. Now that I and many of you have experienced it firsthand, there's no way it's more than a novelty. It's just not very comfortable nor is it practical for games with deep meaningful experiences and it's even more frustrating that this was the reason Nintendo removed the d-pad. No one will ever be able to comfortably play a title like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, or Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers with a single Joy-Con. HD Rumble will go down as this generations power of the cloud; it's cool but forgettable.

Hardware Issues
The left Joy-Con is having widespread problems causing it to de-sync at random. Nintendo included a dock that scratches your screen after extended use, they also claim if you have a dead pixel on your Switch, it's not a defect.

I want to love the Switch and tell everyone how great it is. It's a solid piece of hardware and I'm sure their games lineup in terms of first party will turn out great, over time. But I do feel like Nintendo is company run by stubborn old men who are out of touch with reality that take advantage of their loyal fan base.

All seem like valid criticisms to me, it's pretty bad here at launch. I really can't believe there's no VC on day 1. It's just a Zelda box for now, but I'm thinking year 2 will be really great for the Switch. Hopefully!

Cepheus

I still love it regardless. It has Bomberman. That's all I need. And the pro controller is absolutely amazing. Never had a controller as comfortable as that one.

Sure, as long as we can also discuss how much Nintendo succeeded. I think it's a really exciting piece of hardware.

It's fresh and innovative and I love the different ways of playing games on it.

I could go on for ages about how much I like this thing but I won't because it's not the thread for it, so I'll just say that not everyone agrees with you, OP.

jrDev

I was pretty down on the initial reveal, but my hype grew until I received mine and it's my favorite piece of hardware in a long time, it's so damn slick to hold. I just need the games to come so I can travel with them...and they will...

Alex

I like the system, just needs software and yes Bluetooth audio. PS4 doesn't rock that either though but their controllers at least have an output on them

The system definitely has issues. Joycons and pricing is beyond questionable. Other things can be fixed if they want. Game choices and pricing issues are definitely some issues

The phone chat thing is also a really strange one that I can't understand so easily.

All in all i think it can do well but mario can't come fast enough.

Loving it so far OP.

The only concern is the scratching - although hopefully this a few hundred or so consoles with defects out of hundreds of thousands and it is nothing too major.

oti

Banned
Amazon screwed up so I don't have my Switch yet. Maybe it's a good perspective from a distance.

The hardware itself seems to be great, at least the most important parts of it. I don't understand why display scratches issue exists and seeing people on here developing their own solutions for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place is embarrassing for Nintendo.

The Joy-Con issue doesn't seem to be that big of an issue after all. At least that's what my bubble is telling me. Or everyone's just loving Zelda so much that they don't care. For now.

The Charging Grip not holding a charge and yet being 30€ is awful. The absolute worst.

The rest seems fairly priced. 70€ is a hefty amount for the Pro Controller but it seems worth it. The Joy-Con seem to be good too.

The games seem to be priced alright as well. 1-2-Switch is 35€ in Germany though. Snipperclipps, RMX, Shovel Knight for ~20€ sounds reasonable.

The OS seems very barebones. Too barebones and very lifeless. I don't care about Miiverse or a browser or achievements though. OS seems smooth, that's what I care about.

What I gather from afar is that this machine needed half a year more before release. But everything is "good enough" for launch and Zelda is spectacular.

notaskwid

My prayer is that a Switch Lite gets released without a dock and somehow there's better battery life. This seems like the best handheld ever by far. That's all I'll say OP. Most curious to see how this sells.
This is where I stand as well.
I might bite before if there are games I really want though.

There was no consoles beside the Saturn where their where their messed up launch locked the fate of the system. Xbox 360 had massive hardware problem, PS3 price was straight up extortion and its architecture made it difficult for 3rd party to release multiplat game at first, leading to software drought. Yet both consoles still managed to sell fucktons of system because both respective company constantly improving them over time.

Just thought I'd correct you on these examples...

The 360s hardware issues didn't become apparent for several months after launch when the console was well on its way to being established. With the PS3, there was never a software drought!

Mawile

Banned
I think when it comes down to it, Nintendo's usual audience are people that are satisfied just purchasing a system that plays Nintendo games. As long as those fans get that, they are satisfied.

On the other side of the table, the people who aren't satisfied with just that, get disappointed due subpar implementations or lack of industry standards/features and when you think of it this way it's very easy to see why a large demographic of people/potential customers are dissatisfied with this system.

Nintendo already has their fans 'won' per se as you can see by a lot of impressions across this site with people who literally just don't care about a lot of these things. For this other audience that is untapped, it will remain a very flawed and dated system in ways.

OP, Zelda has never been touted as being playable with a single joycon. Why would you ever play it that way? It isn't multiplayer, so no one else needs to be using the other joycon. Those controllers are for more simplistic titles that have multiplayer.

I'm not even gonna get into the rest of it, but all these massive problems you claim to have, I haven't encountered at all. My left joycon works fine 100% of the time, my dock doesn't scratch anything, and I'm currently loving all 4 games I have for the system.

OP, do you personally own a Switch? If so, how much time have you put into playing it?

I like the system, just needs software and yes Bluetooth audio. PS4 doesn't rock that either though but their controllers at least have an output on them

Bluetooth audio is a lag issue apparently - due to bluetooth bandwidth. PS4 and my bravia does not have it either and my mbp is iffy when I switch the fastshare thing on and use bt headphones.

forrest

formerly nacire
Really enjoying the console so far, but my addition to the failure list is portable mode Ergonomics.

I've had the same feeling towards most of Nintendo's handheld efforts throughout the years though.

M_A_C

All the faults that are valid, there are many, and I was very skeptical, it's still a pretty cool device and impressive technology in person and in hand.

noqtic

I bought my switch pro controller for $70 dollars and it packs a lot more tech inside of it compared to the Dualshock 4 and most certainly the Xbox one controller that are only $10 cheaper......

I'm fine with the OS being barebones since it is snappy as hell, and i do believe some sort of media playback is coming soon since there is an option for it in the settings.

I'll judge the smart phone app crap once once it is released and I can see if it sucks or not.

takoyaki

It's a quality system full of promise that already does an excellent job at the one thing it has do well (for me): Be Nintendo's next handheld that also works as a console. It's a worthy successor to the Vita (and WiiU), all I'm really missing is bluetooth headphone support.

True, there's only a small number of launch games but Zelda might be the best launch game since Mario 64 or Halo. I'll take that any day over 20+ middling launch games. And being able to shop in eshops from different regions without having to jump through hoops is a big plus.

The Joycon issue is unfortunate and I hope there's a fix for it, but it's only a problem under certain circumstances and nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be (comparisons to the RROD are ridiculous). If you're that worried that the dock could scratch the display, check out the GAF thread on that issue; there's a number of easy fixes that will literally take you a minute.

gogojira

I like the hardware and see huge potential for the handheld/console nature of it. The UI is super snappy and screenshots are so easy to take.

I still don't take issue with your assessment, despite how much I'm enjoying my time. The Switch OS is beyond feature incomplete and it's clearly not ready. Game selection is bad and maybe I need 1 2 Switch to understand but not sure why I should be impressed with HD Rumble. Maybe the games I'm playing don't support it?

I think it'll get there, it's just another rushed launch. Thankfully Zelda is amazing and I really, really dig the hardware.

I think the biggest failure of their hardware is trying to be a jack of all trades while being a master of none out of the box. I shouldn't have to pay $370 (Switch and Pro controller) for underpowered hardware to play the way I want to when the potential to hit a compelling price point is right there. I have zero need nor interest in portability. They should've had two bundles: home (box with a pro controller) and portable. (tablet with Joy Cons and the option to buy the TV dock/other accessories separately) This brings the cost of entry down for either configuration allowing them to reach a wider audience.

As it stands, I have no interest in buying a Switch because I'm not going to pay for features that add significant cost that I have no use for. If they release a home console configuration that's priced appropriately I'll bite, but as it stands I consider Nintendo out of the console market and all in on handhelds.
i feel it is the master of portable local multiplaye, simply because you just need one system to do that

....you guys realize the reason OP remade this thread is because mods thought this topic was pre-mature when the Switch was not even out yet? Now that it's out OP is just remaking the thread. Seriously there's a lot of people here getting very defensive over a piece of electronic...

antonz

How long does one need to wait before objectively calling out a company for failing at a product?

Well it would probably be good to wait for certain things to actually happen.

For instance complaining about Paying for Online claiming how horrible it is when no one has any details on what the full online system will be until fall seems silly.

Claiming removing things like streetpass is a Company fail. Streetpass as nice as it was led to 3DS having horrible sleepmode battery life etc. Nintendo is very much concerned with delivering the best battery experience they can. So sadly that means things like Streetpass get the axe.

Top Bottom