• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

groansey

OP is spot on. It's not trolling, it's legitimate gaming industry discussion.

The Switch has problems, too early to tell how major they will be, but now the launch dust has settled it's worth fans acknowledging them if they want Nintendo to do something about it.

As I've said in other threads, I want a Switch, I can't justify it at it's current price, but I don't think it was the right direction for Nintendo to take and I'm not convinced it's going to perform any better than Wii U. I don't trust Nintendo to make the right decisions for the future of their hardware at the moment.

But y'know if they fix the faults, deliver the online component, bundle 1,2,Switch, announce Pokemon Stars and have a big marketing push in the autumn, they could turn it around.

Most people are probably annoyed that he created this exact thread before anyone even had the switch. Which indicates pretty heavily towards an agenda.

As for his points. I will take a snappy OS over a bloated one. Improvements could be made and I am sure over time they will but right now I can go out of sleepmode and into game in 3-4 seconds flat and that is fantastic.

For the sake of battery life things like Streetpass had to die. I think that is a shame but the nonstop pinging of wifi etc. was a huge reason why 3DS had such horrible standby battery life.

Agree. It's refreshing to be able to be in a game and actively playing within a couple of seconds.

Sure, they have run into a few things but those seem to be somewhat normal for console launches. Personally I've been lucky and haven't encountered any issues.

Celine

Ok I guess it's fine for everyone like me to go into the Switch OT and completely trash the Switch and the OP of that thread since I have many disagreements with everyone praising it in that thread.

That would be fair since people are coming in here mocking the OP right?

Seriously let's control ourselves just a bit.
Erm the Switch OT is there specifically for Switch owners to give their impression on the new hardware (good or bad).

I have some gripes but overall I am really enjoying my time with the Switch and Zelda. I am positive a lot of the issues will be resolved in due time. I have all the consoles plus a good PC to hold me over.

LordKano

OP is spot on. It's not trolling, it's legitimate gaming industry discussion.

The Switch has problems, too early to tell how major they will be, but now the launch dust has settled it's worth fans acknowledging them if they want Nintendo to do something about it.

As I've said in other threads, I want a Switch, I can't justify it at it's current price, but I don't think it was the right direction for Nintendo to take and I'm not convinced it's going to perform any better than Wii U. I don't trust Nintendo to make the right decisions for the future of their hardware.

Come on now, you really can't see how it's already in an insanely better shape than the Wii U ?

Shengar

There are threads for issues with all consoles. The Xbox One OS is so slow, the DS4 build quality is garbage, data management on PS4 sucks etc. If there are issues to be discussed, they should be up for discussion. This isn't really a Nintendo thing as far as I see it. There are haters, staunch defenders, and reasonable people in the middle for every "team"

I will say the thread title here is unnecessarily inflammatory.
I agree on the thread title. The title is like implying that Nintendo have and will fucked up Switch for its entire lifetime. Problems are of course are exist during first month of launch and there's no way denying that. However they're not unfixable and change will be made overtime. Like the problems you mentioned, those things are resolved within first year of release.

I still remember though how DS4 poor built quality and PS4 lack of bluray playback(or something bluray related, can't remember) was "criticized" like it was a problem that would last forever and permanently fucked up the PS4. I don't get this perception of problem fixation especially when it was just at the first year of release for a new console.

Someone's upset mommy wouldn't give them enough allowances to buy a second console ��

C'mon with this nonsense. This isn't Gamefaqs dude. Do better.

The criticisms are valid. You can counter argue that it'll take time to ramp up the console and to be patient but at the end of the day it's 2017 and some features are expected to be ubiquitous at this point.

Squarehard

The screen issue probably won't impact casual gamers all that much as long as it still works, so they can certainly deal with some scratches. They're less worried about cosmetics than they are with functionality.

Instro

On a basic level I like the device. It looks nice, good screen and controls. Leagues better than what Nintendo has managed with their hardware of late. On the flip side there is so much weird bullshit: missing features, oversights, port decisions, bad console performance, poor software lineup, etc., that you can't help but see it as a hot mess.

Like even the pro controller, which is amazing, is missing a fucking headphone jack. How does that happen?

CDX

I'm loving my Switch.

I'll get my Pro Controller Monday, shipped from Japan, and payed only a few dollars more than the PS4 controller I picked up near the PS4 launch. I still use that PS4 controller on my PC.

I expect just like the PS4 controller dropped in price after launch, the Switch Pro controller will to ...eventually.

I'm glad it's using a widely available standard like microSD cards instead of proprietary cards like the Vita.

I've personally not had any JoyCon sync issues. But I don't really have lots of wireless interference around, and I game in room that's not too large.

I think it's stupid the JoyCon charging grip with the USB-C port wasn't packed in with the console.
And I'm slightly worried about the dock scratching my console.

But otherwise I'm really liking my Switch. Love that it's region free, and so easy to change regions and buy stuff.

Playing a mix of US and Japanese launch games, and the ones I bought are all in English. The free Puyo Puyo Tetris demo is in Japanese, but it's a free demo, and I don't really mind Japanese menus for puzzle games.

Overall it's one of the better console launches for me.

I love Nintendo and i hope they are around for many many years.

But they fucked up this launch.

They put all their hopes and dreams on BOTW.

One of the things you heard on launch day inside the store is that there is no damn games for it.

This always is the case for Nintendo and they always strategically release games to make it seem like they have a steady flow.

I will give it a chance but expectations are so low it is sad.

Lothars

Nintendo console launches always bring these people out to complain. There's been a large group of angry people who want them to stop making hardware and they've been harping on every little misstep or issue during console launches and otherwise since the GameCube.

It's pretty pathetic. If you own a system and are having a problem with it I understand complaining. Don't feel like you need to run a PR campaign talking about how bad a system is though. There have been a lot of hopeful and misplaced posts eager to run salt in every perceived wound of the switch lately.
there's just as many defenders jumping over anyone saying anything remotely negative about the Switch. The extreme negative and extreme defenders hurt the discussion which is exactly what your doing.

I don't see how it's delusional. They are indeed doing a lot of failings with the Switch and the darn thing seems to be having a beta launch.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with talking about each part of the launch.

I don't see how it's delusional. They are indeed doing a lot of failings with the Switch and the darn thing seems to be having a beta launch.

Are there features or functions which were advertised and/or promised that don't exist?

If not then there's nothing to complain about. Either the launch feature set is acceptable to you or it isn't. You buy it or wait.

"Here's my $300 but I really think this system is a failure with too many issues for me to accept" isn't the most logical way to use your budget.

I love Nintendo for giving me the best content on GAF.

The Switch release and Zelda getting 10/10's personally hurt some GAF users somehow and it's great.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All I'm going to say is I'm looking forward to the honeymoon phase for some people to wear off.

I'm sharing a Switch with another member of the household, I'm sure some good things will come out of the Switch, but there's already at launch so many of the trappings that Nintendo has had recently with their console launches, and the physical console and especially some of the accessories have major flaws. I hope the library can pick itself up but outside of Zelda there's not really any big releases for half a year, third party support and how they're approaching indies is not the way to be going about it in my opinion, and I think there's a lot of red flags setting off from the fact all of this is popping up on launch.

I want to believe it'll fix its faults, I want it to do well. But all signs seem to be pointing to this being a handheld follow-up to the WiiU. Nintendo isn't clearly marketing this as a handheld or console experience, it's too limited in its handheld components that it can't really replace that scene, while also being weak and already showing issues as a modem console machine compared to its competition. It will stay afloat because of Nintendo's output unless they can get more support on-board, but due to it being so different and honestly just weaker than the competition there won't be many ports and many companies won't throw much in the ring because they can't co-develop for it and unless the thing grows a big unit base many developers probably won't make much for it after the first couple years. Add to this Nintendo's weird limited quantity thing where they make less units than demand, various launch fuck-ups with several retailers leaving a sour taste for some... and this isn't even getting into some of the same issues Nintendo has had for a while with its digital store front, friend code system, now introducing pay to play online even though they hardly seem to be adding in anything for the new price.

And there's still so much more I could cover. I want this to do well, I think having a weaker console is actually good for the industry with raising development cost and more acceptable creative titles could be made. But I think Nintendo is hampering the success this thing could have, and may very well be the thing in the way of its success in a broader market while also being the only thing which leads to a devoted fanbase if they can't reel in good third party support, basically making a situation that's literally a repeat of the WiiU for them.

I want to be wrong, but this is feeling like a repeat in a number of ways, in some ways its better with Zelda (an amazing game) being available on launch, but in other ways it feels like things are being tackled worse with issues out of the box for a number of people that are less things that can be fixed and some are problems with the physical console and accessories itself. I'm on the train like I was with the WiiU, but my hopes are very dampened at this point and I'd love to see them turn around what seems to be setting up here.

LordKano

Some of you really have some memory issues if you think that the Switch's launch is in any way comparable to the Wii U one. Like, it's not even the same league. The thing is already assured to do better, and faster.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
OP, online is free for the next 6 months, so you can use that money you expected to spend, to get a micro sd card :)

Jubenhimer

Oh look, another nitpicky thread that makes the Switch's flaws way worse than they actually are. Seriously, the Switch isn't perfect, but it looks like a much better system than the Wii U.

lutheran

OS
Aside from being as barebones as it gets; Miiverse, StreetPass, the Internet Browser and Activity Log are now gone. There's no built-in achievement system or party chat which have become industry standards, nor is there apps of any kind such as Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify. Nintendo publicly stated friend codes were going to be eliminated but that's not the case, they have made a return with even the most basic of messaging features being nonexistent. Save data can't be transferred in any way, shape, or form. External media such as audio, video, and images can't be accessed.

Accessories
You can debate worth but there's no denying the fact that the accessories are expensive. The feeling is amplified due to competitor items being priced much lower. Everything feels like an additional fee, from Nintendo not including a charging grip or mic with the Switch, needing the HORI Compact Playstand to charge and play your Switch in tabletop mode, to being forced to buy a microSDXC card sooner rather than later due to the paltry 25GB of available storage.

Games
Everything seems to be either overpriced, compromised in the form of graphical fidelity and performance in comparison to competitors, or just simply being a port of an indie game. The few titles that don't fall into this group such as Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are typically handicapped by something such as the the lack of a d-pad. Triple A third-party support is nowhere to be found. The Virtual Console could have helped fill a void but it hasn't been announced as to when it will be available.

Connectivity
You must use a smartphone app to play and communicate with friends. Bluetooth audio devices are not supported.

The online service now costs money with no real value proposition.

Gimmick
It's touted that the Switch comes with two controllers out of the box. Now that I and many of you have experienced it firsthand, there's no way it's more than a novelty. It's just not very comfortable nor is it practical for games with deep meaningful experiences and it's even more frustrating that this was the reason Nintendo removed the d-pad. No one will ever be able to comfortably play a title like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, or Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers with a single Joy-Con. HD Rumble will go down as this generations power of the cloud; it's cool but forgettable.

Hardware Issues
The left Joy-Con is having widespread problems causing it to de-sync at random. Nintendo included a dock that scratches your screen after extended use, they also claim if you have a dead pixel on your Switch, it's not a defect. The Wi-Fi has limited range with some being unable to connect to the internet.

I want to love the Switch and tell everyone how great it is. It's a solid piece of hardware and I'm sure their games lineup in terms of first party will turn out great, over time. But I do feel like Nintendo is company run by stubborn old men who are out of touch with reality that take advantage of their loyal fan base.

I still love the Switch and have high hopes for it as the 3DS successor. If it truly is there will be a ton of good games and great Nintendo 1st party games and that is really all I care about. IDD with a lot of your points though, I won't lie. The system right now is a mess and could use a bunch of updates and E3 better be packed with game announcements but still I love the damn thing and think by this time next year we will have a solid hybrid system that will probably soon after (holidays 2018) have a dock/addon with some advanced hardware in it if the Foxconn leak is to be believed.

Phyla

Valid points. I've never owned a Nintendo console and I'm really tempted to try Zelda. Seems like buying a Wii U with a (cheaper at that) pro controller is the best choice.

Lgndryhr

I have been thoroughly enjoying mine. It goes well next to my ps4. Poor Xbone is still sitting with dust on it. Might sell it and wait on Scorpio.

Fitts

i feel it is the master of portable local multiplaye, simply because you just need one system to do that

And two pro controllers. Because using the Joy Cons as two separate controllers for two players has glaring limitations. (not to mention it's incredibly uncomfortable)

OP, online is free for the next 6 months, so you can use that money you expected to spend, to get a micro sd card :)

Yea, I definitely made sure to get a micro SD card prior to launch. Makes no sense expecting to get by on internal storage alone. Even when sticking to physical media as much as possible. Once in a while Eshop gonna call my name....

ZZMitch

Eh I think the switch is a great piece of hardware that also comes with one of the best games I have ever played at launch.

Super happy with my purchase

Neff

Mine's fine.

Zelda's one of the best launch titles ever.

Several of your points are misinformed.

Drifters

Gonna be honest, I really hope Nintendo fixes the issues with the Switch and starts migrating over to solely a software company and lives on through other consoles and app stores. They have some really bad people making decisions and quite frankly they should clean house.

Top Bottom