• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is how replacing your HDD on PS4 works (ComputerBild)

tipoo

Banned
lol @ dat screw, seriously.

Are there any 7200RPM drives that are as silent as Samsung's or Toshiba's 5400 drives? I hate to hear clickety-clik from these drives as they're seeking.

I don't know which specific brands, but I've heard some 7200rpm drives that are essentially as quiet as the average 5400. I've also heard some very loud 5400s.

Especially from a media center distance, a 7200 would probably have been fine.

tipoo

Banned
How much of an impact would SATA III have on gaming over SATA II?

Only for solid state drives would it make a difference. SATA 2 has a peak of ~300MB/s iirc, SATA 3 is around 600MB/s.

Would there be a potential heat issue with a 7400rpm drive?

The drives do produce more heat, but we're talking about less additional watts displaced than you can count on one finger, I doubt that would throw the whole system out of whack. And they must of designed it knowing people would upgrade to faster drives.

artist

Banned
In the comments they said already, that they will do that in the coming weeks, not now.

Translation: No, unfortunately there won´t be any more pictures of the console innards right now. In the coming weeks until PS4 launch we will provide these kind of details.
Talk about milking it. I hope some one beats these guys to the punch.

evilalien

Only for solid state drives would it make a difference. SATA 2 has a peak of ~300MB/s iirc, SATA 3 is around 600MB/s.

And even then it won't make a difference because games don't exactly have workloads that make use of large sequential reads/writes.

JWong

Banned
So 1.5TB hdds, where are they?

I only see a WD Green, which is garbage. Are there any other 1.5TB HDD models?

They're done :/

I don't think they know what a teardown means. That was horrible.

When you get a loaned Testing Kit, I doubt you can rip it apart without getting into trouble.

kadotsu

Banned
Ha! Love the German thoroughness of what they're doing.

masseffect2_pc.jpg

This is how they score games BTW.

Can't change the internal, but it seems that external drives will allow for 100% functionality as far as additional space goes.

Not at launch however

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/xbox-one-wont-support-external-storage-at-launch/

We hope you weren't counting on using the Xbox One's USB ports for external storage from day one; as it turns out, you'll likely have to be patient. Speaking at the PAX Prime expo this weekend, Microsoft's Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson) mentioned that external drive support wouldn't be available at launch because the Xbox team was "working on other things." It's not certain when the feature will arrive, Hryb says. We've reached out to Microsoft to verify the statement. If it's accurate, though, you'll want to be cautious when filling the Xbox One's built-in 500GB drive with Xbox Game Store downloads.

Skeff

Hmmm going 1TB doesn't feel like it's a huge jump. I dunno if I need to upgrade until there are 2TB drives lol.

I'm sticking with my 500gb until a 2tb is available, I don't think it will be long until we get a 2TB 12.5mm drive as we're already on 1.5tb at 9.5mm.

lucius

I have like 850 GB of game stuff on my 1TB PS3 drive, I am now thinking how much of a pain redownloading all my games to a 500 GB drive and cutting away some Plus games will be. I think I'll just wait for 2TB drives to get cheaper, hopefully with play while downloading and installing on PS4 moving and deleting stuff should not be such a pain.

Will a higher cache (16mb vs. 8mb) make a difference for the PS4?

Also, any have any experience with this Intellipower WD is touting? Seems like a variable rpm spindle speed but I've never seen that before.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8528305&CatId=139

WD reds are made for NAS, both reds and greens are designed mainly for storage. If I'm not mistaken they're 5900 rpm drives. You should be going for blues and blacks (7200 rpm).

netBuff

I'm looking at the new (3rd Gen "Laptop SSHD") Seagate SSHD's and they're listed as 5400 rpm.. apparently "The 7200 RPM rotation speed is less important if the NAND flash can successfully pick up most of the heavy lifting." Is this also true with console usage?

Note: my current PS3 SSHD is a 750gb Seagate at 7200 rpm.

It will depend on your usage, with next gen games being much bigger the advantage of an SSHD may be diminished. It will be better than any HDD, but is a far cry from a "real" SSD. If you mainly play a single game at a time, you'll get the most out of an SSHD. If you switch between multiple games at a time, an SSD may be a better choice. With random access being the most important factor in gaming, a 7200 RPM SSHD is certainly preferable to 5400 RPM.

Number45

Is RPM a thing on SSD? I'd assumed it was a measurement of the spin speed of the platter on a mechanical hard drive... which I didn't think existed on an SSD.

xkramz

Now that's fancy.

Excuse my ignorance but does anybody know if xbone have replaceable hdd?
& if not if xbone would be able to accept an external usb ssd?

Valnen

Now that's fancy.

Excuse my ignorance but does anybody know if xbone have replaceable hdd?
& if not if xbone would be able to accept an external usb ssd?

It does not have a replaceable internal drive, but yes it takes external drives.

I wish the PS4 took external drives AND had a replaceable internal drive. Seems like a silly restriction.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am still wondering if we can cut out the top of the cage and use 15mm drives. Also, I imagine we can still use the SATA extension cable method and use an external 3.5 drive instead. Not as elegant, but definitely doable. And certainly will be nice to use a far cheaper far larger drive.

Bsigg12

Is RPM a thing on SSD? I'd assumed it was a measurement of the spin speed of the platter on a mechanical hard drive... which I didn't think existed on an SSD.

I think he's saying solid state hybrid drive, which Seagate is pretty good at making.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
This is the one I was considering until I saw that the platter portion of the drive is 5400rpm. Try to find a 7200rpm 750GB Momentus.

Wouldn't the 7200rpm increase internal heat? I want to get a 7200 but worried about that heat.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm slapping a 1TB Samsung Evo SSD in mine, pricey I admit - but as a single player gamer who only plays a few games at a time (5 at most, with maybe 10 or 15 PSN games installed) - 1TB should do me I'd suspect for 3 to 5 years.

I _HATE_ load times.

Ovek

7Member7
I might try sticking a ssd in mine but I will have to wait and see if it actually improves load times.

ohhh... very good that it's possible to use up to 12.5 mm high HDDs. That gives some room in the future, literally. It might have taken large HDDs a long time (if at all) to reach the 9.5 mm max size the PS3 is using.
The PS4 is so small and they still had space for that :p

I hope we'll soonish see 2+ TB HDDs that are 12.5 mm.
1.5 TB seems to be already available? I often saw them with 15 mm height...
Still, even though it will probably be a pain to transfer all that data at a later point, I will wait until there are bigger and/or cheaper HDDs. I shouldn't be able to fill up the 400+ available GB within 1-2 years... maybe.

edit:
vvvv ...interesting...

DBT85

What's the max mm on PS4? I'm considering the 500gb SSD from Samsung for the PS4.

12.5mm according to the info from ComputerBild.

PS3 can only take 9.5mm.

I'm going to use the 2 week delay for the UK getting the PS4 to find out if an SSD is going to have suitable benefits, install sizes etc, before buying.

Top Bottom