• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is how replacing your HDD on PS4 works (ComputerBild)

I was thinking similar things, 256gb would likely be good enough for a couple of years - in the mean-time prices drop.

very tempting...will be watching what happens between US & UK release and reading what differences are found
It depends how much drive reading PS4 will need to do. It does have a lot of RAM to work with, so it might just be initial load times when starting the game. On the other hand if there's a lot of HD streaming (like GTA V or Rage) a SSD will noticeably reduce texture and object pop-in.

We might not see in-game SSD benefits until devs start seriously stressing the 8GB RAM, which might take a couple years.

Right now I see a pretty good 256GB SSD for $170. Amazing how fast the prices are dropping.

wizzbang

Banned
PS3 doesn't support TRIM and no issues here, still runs silky smooth and is much MUCH quicker than the 'fast' upgraded HDD I have in my other PS3.

Do you know how many idiots are telling me I need to wait for "articles" to see if I should put an SSD in my PS4 because it "may not be able to get benefit from it"
Whut?
Any basic technical comprehension says "replace slow disk with fast disk, any times the machine loaded from the slow disk, will now be quicker" - sigh

Love my SSD in my PS3 - a lot of games don't actually benefit because they are on the optical with minimal cached local stuff - but the few which are on HDD - totally load like crazy. GT5 is night and day.
Definitely putting in a 1TB in my PS4 and gonna let the games fully install before playing.

dubq

Does everyone else assume that HDD replacement in PS4 is as simple as PS3? Ie: pop it i and the system formats it and sets it up with the OS? I'm just wondering if it'd be a good idea to at least use the stock drive first and set up the console and then swap it out instead of swapping it our right away/out of the box. What's everyone else doing?

wizzbang

Banned
Does everyone else assume that HDD replacement in PS4 is as simple as PS3? Ie: pop it i and the system formats it and sets it up with the OS? I'm just wondering if it'd be a good idea to at least use the stock drive first and set up the console and then swap it out instead of swapping it our right away/out of the box. What's everyone else doing?

If I got one on launch day, in America, I would totally swap it instantly and put up a youtube video, you'd be likely to get a few thousand hits.

Since I won't be getting one until January or Feb, I'm tempted to do some basic benchmarks first for fun.

MrBS

Picking up a Hitashi Travelstar 7K1000 this weekend. That thing is going straight in to the PS4 day one.

Picking up a Hitashi Travelstar 7K1000 this weekend. That thing is going straight in to the PS4 day one.

See, I'm debating that vs. a 1TB SSHD (which is admittedly @ 5400rpm). My gut tells me I want the faster 7200 HDD but I'm anxious about overheating given how small that PS4 kit is.

dubq

If I got one on launch day, in America, I would totally swap it instantly and put up a youtube video, you'd be likely to get a few thousand hits.

Since I won't be getting one until January or Feb, I'm tempted to do some basic benchmarks first for fun.

Yeah, I was thinking about just buying the same SSHD I have in my PS3, but I wanted to wait a bit and see what the general consensus is here, performance wise, before I decide on which drive to get. With these install sizes, the stock 500GB HDD is going to fill up quickly!

wizzbang

Banned
You know that the installs are mandatory? You are not "gonna let" anything, best invest in that 1TB if that is the plan

You're completely misunderstanding my point.
I WANT them fully installed.
I don't want them partially installed. I want full entire disc contents on my console drive, BEFORE I even open the game.
Hence, due to the ambiguous bullshit mystery surrounding how "PlayGo" actually works, to err on the side of caution is to simply put the disc in and hope it copies it in the background.

To date we still don't know if you can "force" an install or confirm an install is 100% complete of the contents, hence me "letting" the system do it's trickery for 30 minutes and hoping it's installed :/
meh

wizzbang

Banned
If you really want to be sure just buy all your games on PSN. Then your poor Blu-ray drive will never have to lift a finger.

Digital downloads are not an option where I live. It's virtually twice the cost for a long term rental rather than a copy of the game and uses a shitload of my monthly internet quota.
I will not ever support them, it's a disgusting concept to pay more for a digital product than a hard copy. Fuck ALL publishers / developers / companies doing this.

Bishop89

I am technologically illiterate. Are there any "cons" to upgrading hdd's? Can it make things run slower, faster? Can it cause problems? Does upgrading affect warranty? What is the best hdd to upgrade with for the ps4?

MilkBeard

Wow, that looks painless.

I've actually already experimented with taking the hard drive out of my laptop. It was because I spilled some coffee on the keyboard, so after a while I took it apart and inspected everything. After doing that, I feel like this could be done in my sleep.

Kiyo

I am technologically illiterate. Are there any "cons" to upgrading hdd's? Can it make things run slower, faster? Can it cause problems? Does upgrading affect warranty? What is the best hdd to upgrade with for the ps4?

There's no cons really. Yes you can make it faster, but assuming it has a 5400rpm drive already in it, there's not really anything you could do to make it slower. The only problems it could cause would be if you were to install a bad hard drive, so buy new. Upgrading the HDD does not affect the warranty. The "best" hard drive depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for speed so games load super fast? Then you'll want an SSD (they're expensive though). If you want a lot of space so you can store tons of content then you'll want a 1-1.5TB HDD.

Number45

The only possible issue would be a faster hard drive generating more heat. That's not to say it will be an issue, the PS3 was fine, but it's worth being aware of.

To be honest if you're not 100% sure or comfortable doing it, stay with the pre-installed 500GB for now. By the time you need to change it there should be a wealth of information on the internet from people who have tried it.

The only possible issue would be a faster hard drive generating more heat. That's not to say it will be an issue, the PS3 was fine, but it's worth being aware of.

To be honest if you're not 100% sure or comfortable doing it, stay with the pre-installed 500GB for now. By the time you need to change it there should be a wealth of information on the internet from people who have tried it.

Hell, given all the attention on this particular subject and the amount of people looking to swap in a larger drive day one, I'd say we'll only need a week before we have a ton of comparison stats to look at with various drives.

I'm most interested in performance (and heat) reports from people that have installed a 7200RPM HDD (1TB+) as well as those 1TB SHHD drives that are 5400rpm. I'd personally like to be putting in a new drive day one but I can wait a few weeks. My wallet will be taking a big enough hit as it is on 11/15.

dubq

I'm most interested in performance (and heat) reports from people that have installed a 7200RPM HDD (1TB+) as well as those 1TB SHHD drives that are 5400rpm. I'd personally like to be putting in a new drive day one but I can wait a few weeks. My wallet will be taking a big enough hit as it is on 11/15.

FWIW, I have had a Seagate 750GB/7200rpm SSHD in my PS3 for well over a year and a half and have never had issues with heat.

Supposedly the 1TB/5400rpm SSHD from Seagate is faster than their 750GB/7200rpm SSHD of the previous generation, though. Not sure if that just applies to PC configurations, however..

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm slapping a 1TB Samsung Evo SSD in mine, pricey I admit - but as a single player gamer who only plays a few games at a time (5 at most, with maybe 10 or 15 PSN games installed) - 1TB should do me I'd suspect for 3 to 5 years.

I _HATE_ load times.

Hmm, $200 more than the PS4 itself. Looks like a good product line though. I'll probably go with a 250 or 500, but I'm holding off on buying the PS4 itself for a while so maybe SSHD with bigger NAND cache will be available by then.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...H&Description=samsung+840+evo&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I browsed quickly but found no answer. Any reason why my system can't detect two of my USB flash drives after I installed the new hdd?

I also reinstalled the old hdd and popped in my drives and it just says USB device is not detected.
Edit: Jesus the system is finicky. Got it working. Has to be FAT32 format, the USB key...my poor 64gb... :(

Top Bottom