• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is Why Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a True Next-gen Game

Grinchy

Banned
I tried making a good gif of the reflections on Clank's face. So is it reflecting the world in front of him, or is it a cubemap? Looks pretty damn nice either way.

8BhPc7d.gif

longdi

Banned
You cannot interact in a cutscene, please stop, I know you are very critical but you are acting full weird here... The rails section is part of the gameplay, you can jump any time you want If you don't jump you will crash... Simple, just like many other games, and you continue to ignore the dragon flying section too, man, you better than this, common'.

Ok i rewatch more carefully, seems the dragon segment you can steer away from the traffic, but that part is like a 5s segment and still on rails. I wonder is there some limitation on how you want to load in new assets, you have to carefully manage how this plays out? (applies to PS5 and Series X ssd of course!)

6:30 to 6:35

Last edited:

jose4gg

Ok i rewatch more carefully, seems the dragon segment you can steer away from the traffic, but that part is like a 5s segment and still on rails. I wonder is there some limitation on how you want to load in new assets, you have to carefully manage how this plays out? (applies to PS5 and Series X ssd of course!)

6:30 to 6:35

They wanted that part to be 5s, the whole point is to do a lot of worlds in a very small portion of time to showcase they aren't loading things in the background while the user plays a specific scene.

Other things are part of the gameplay experience, no limitations...

Yoboman

Imo we went from streaming a pre-rendered cutscenes to streaming a realtime cutscenes. Sorta.
Maybe someone more technical and expressive can put in clearer words, VFXVeteran?

To the players, the 'gameplay' achievement feels the same, no? 🤷‍♀️
Pre-rendeted cutscene? No. Did you actually just try to tag in somebody else to explain the nonsense you are spewing? :goog_unsure:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
These sections scenes feel like cut scenes because that's exactly their point. This 7 minute demo not only has game play, it also shows what the game is about: while fighting Nefarious, Ratchet accidentally opens multi dimensional portals and while traveling through them he and Clank get separated and Clank finds himself with a mysterious female Lombax. There's no technical reason why these levels couldn't have longer gameplay sections or more interactivity, but in this case these sections are short because that's what's needed to set the story (and demonstrate the ultra fast SSD in the PS5 at the same time).

longdi

Banned
They wanted that part to be 5s, the whole point is to do a lot of worlds in a very small portion of time to showcase they aren't loading things in the background while the user plays a specific scene.

Other things are part of the gameplay experience, no limitations...

We shall have to see the final game. Whether the short segments had something to do with levels-vs-speed of loading etc.

Dont get me wrong, i love ssd, and will pay again the early adopters' tax for my X25M.

But no harm being more cautious on whether ssd will bring about gameplay innovation/revolution as are hyped.

User experience wise, for sure, the snappiness, the shorten wait times etc.

But is nand flash really the next 'big' in gaming? 🤷‍♀️

Azurro

Banned
But no harm being more cautious on whether ssd will bring about gameplay innovation/revolution as are hyped.

User experience wise, for sure, the snappiness, the shorten wait times etc.

But is nand flash really the next 'big' in gaming? 🤷‍♀️

Funny enough, you don't express the same kind of "caution" to anything MS produces, when they haven't even shown anything running on their console.

In any case, the game looks incredible. Can't wait to play it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I tried making a good gif of the reflections on Clank's face. So is it reflecting the world in front of him, or is it a cubemap? Looks pretty damn nice either way.

8BhPc7d.gif

You can clearly see Ratchet's reflection there as well! Isn't cubemaps static? And real-time reflections are only done by raytracing? Could be using a mixture as well, and having dynamic objects/characters raytraced, and the rest cubemapped?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem does what a so called "veteran" don't.

Thank you for breaking things down and providing an analytical look at some of the things shown in the demo.

I personally really appreciate it, so thanks!

My honor, I know a lot know much, much better than I do, but they either don't have the time, or don't want to make positive posts about PS5. That's why we're seeing more technical youtubers floating around DF as they're the obvious shills (except John).

And when it's visually presented and with actual evidence, there is simply not enough room for mass trolls. They'll find a way, but the gap is just too tight for them as you can see here.

Yeah similar to Nvidia s dsll right? I think 1440 p already looks great it will be awesome to play this game at 2k 60 fps 😎😎😎

Yup, checkerboarding is already impressive, and it's before DLSS, and still comparable to DLSS without the major flaws that sometimes appear on DLSS.

And they've recently released a new patent that should be much superior to the previous checkerboarding solution:

It's a next gen game because it comes to the next generation. Who needs to get that explained?

Trolls and uninformed people.

@Op.

Hope you getting good money from Sony for all the effort you made in your post lol

b493ab85db252c3196d4aac87946b649.gif

Grinchy

Banned
You can clearly see Ratchet's reflection there as well! Isn't cubemaps static? And real-time reflections are only done by raytracing? Could be using a mixture as well, and having dynamic objects/characters raytraced, and the rest cubemapped?
I didn't even notice the Ratchet reflection. I was so focused on it reflecting the level in front of them. Damn this game's a looker!

It'll be interesting when people who know the technical specifics can get the game and break down how all of this is done. In the meantime, I'll just be impressed.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I didn't even notice the Ratchet reflection. I was so focused on it reflecting the level in front of them. Damn this game's a looker!

It'll be interesting when people who know the technical specifics can get the game and break down how all of this is done. In the meantime, I'll just be impressed.

The final results is all what matters in the end of the day, the smarter the dev the better he/she/they can squeeze more graphics while maintaining high resolution and solid performance. I can bet you that Horizon FW will look even better, it looks slightly rough in the far, distant graphics right now, reminds me of the early Horizon ZD trailer that looked much worse than the final retail version:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I believe none will. To double the framerate they will just half the resolution, from the current native 4K to around 1512p dynamic. That's the same resolution as Ratchet and Spiderman on PS4 Pro, and they both look great. With more temporal resolution it will be even better.

And AI image reconstruction:

Checkboarding was amazing back then, and things will get even better going forward.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I’m gonna play that and taste the nextgen ..

oh wait ! Now they will call me a fanboy

Why ?
Because these days people put their nose in everything ...

FeiRR

Banned

NX Gamer's analysis is very detailed and also shows great progress made between builds in just 2 months. Insomniac are on fire.

8BhPc7d.gif
If this is ray-traced then it's the worst ray-traced reflection I've seen.

P.S. The game as a whole still looks great so don't get too triggered. :*

VN1X

Banned
Imagine typing up that OP unironically. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

There's some hardcore Fragile Fanboy Fever going on at GAF as of late. The sooner these two boxes come out the better so the fanboys will be too occupied by the latest hyped thing their corporate overlords dangle infront of them. Crikey.

Last edited:
Imagine typing up that OP unironically. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

There's some hardcore Fragile Fanboy Fever going on at GAF as of late. The sooner these two boxes come out the better so the fanboys will be too occupied by the latest hyped thing their corporate overlords dangle infront of them. Crikey.
You wish. When boxes are out, comparison videos DF style will begin to emerge. Then all hell will break loose.

It reflects exactly how you would expect metal to reflect. The aim is to make it realistic. Not as shiny as possible just to make it obvious that you’re using ray tracing.
Why then they made multiple floor surfaces look like they are made out of high polished mirror? Not very realistic if you ask me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It reflects exactly how you would expect metal to reflect. The aim is to make it realistic. Not as shiny as possible just to make it obvious that you’re using ray tracing.

Some people don't understand how reflections work on different materials.

1f9706f3eb0229f2aae590dcae0b78ff.jpg

They think everything should be chrome like in the RT demos.

i came in here for this same reason plus the excellent work Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem and others have done. the DOF is amazing. its not so clean that it looks fake. it has some noise that makes it look accurate to the game.

That's simply impressive! Never seen something that good except from Ratchet & Clank and UE5 gameplay demo, both running on PS5.

At 1:44 in the newest footage the floor is obviously a cube map and its very noticeable

It's a mixture of both, all statics seem to be cubemapped, and some mobile objects are real-time raytraced like Ratchet and some enemies. You can see that some effects are still not reflected, and more have been refined since the first reveal. We can expect Insomniac to address that in the final build, as it's still pre-alpha.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ratchet & Clank has really upset some people a lot more than it should have but I don't think it's really about Ratchet & Clank.

Imagine feeling pain from something you can enjoy and afford, can't understand that myself. It's a cult mentality as it seems.

Yeah Ratchet looks fantastic, of course a Day One. I hope it will be no later than Feb/March 2021.
Next Gen has started :)

I think it's a launch year game, and I think it'll be around December as it shows solid build so far.

Last edited:

truth411

Whats up with all the Ratchet bashing?
A. Its a Launch window game, games will continue to improve as years go by.
B. If y'all know anything about RatchetnClank, its about throwing as much action you can on screen as much as you can. Especially when you maxout your weapons with its side effects features on harder difficulty. While maintaining a consistent framerate and looking excellent at the same time. Its never been a game focused solely on uber ultimate realistic graphics, though it still looks excllent.
Its the amount of chaos/action on screen at the level of fidelity in visuals with a consistent framerate, not to mention very polished aswell that make RatchetnClank an awesome technical achievement at the begining of each generation. PS3, PS4 and now PS5.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Whats up with all the Ratchet bashing?
A. Its a Launch window game, games will continue to improve as years go by.
B. If y'all know anything about RatchetnClank, its about throwing as much action you can on screen as much as you can. Especially when you maxout your weapons with its side effects features on harder difficulty. While maintaining a consistent framerate and looking excllent at the same time. Its never been a game focused solely on uber ultimate realistic graphics, though it still looks excllent.
Its the amount of chaos/action on screen at the level of fidelity in visuals with a consistent framerate, not to mention very polished aswell that make RatchetnClank an awesome technical achievement at the begining of each generation. PS3, PS4 and now PS5.
Just trolls upset at every other game looking substantially worse except for Horizon and Demons Souls which are on par.

Caio

Imagine feeling pain from something you can enjoy and afford, can't understand that myself. It's a cult mentality as it seems.

I think it's a launch year game, and I think it'll be around December as it shows solid build so far.

I would love, really, and play it in Christmas time :) Off Topic, any news about the secret project with Cerny behind it ?

S0ULZB0URNE

There is no ray-traced shadows. And that's not fur. Present to my thread for discussion. If you guys want to make any game that comes out with RT be a next-gen game, then we got a lot of PC games that are already next-gen.

Nah no thx
R&C looks better than anything on PC.

Rob_27

Wake me up when the RT is better. Reflections/shadows include all particals and destruction. Not bad for a first go. B-

Top Bottom