• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what Japanese people think of the Xbox One

Arthea

xbox one was already dead in the water in Japan even before the announcement.

I'm not so sure. It seems everyone assumes that more than million people don't matter and it's not enough to care. Even if it is sound from global business perspective, that's still a lot of people, a lot of possible buyers. Why abandon them? I mean million is still much more than 0 or even one.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Honestly who cares? Japan is a low population, they only support Japanese companies anyway, and even if Microsoft came out with something that blew away all competition and made Sony and Nintendo look like they're still putting out 1s and 64s, Japan would still find some excuse not to buy the X1.

Japan is a lost cause and I don't understand how it's a bad thing that Microsoft realized this and continues to ignore them.

This isn't even remotely true.

Honestly who cares? Japan is a low population, they only support Japanese companies anyway, and even if Microsoft came out with something that blew away all competition and made Sony and Nintendo look like they're still putting out 1s and 64s, Japan would still find some excuse not to buy the X1.

Japan is a lost cause and I don't understand how it's a bad thing that Microsoft realized this and continues to ignore them.

is that why the iphone is such a hit there?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

You should tell that to Apple.

This isn't even remotely true.

In terms of gaming, it's kinda true.

You can say what you want about COD, Uncharted, Battlefield, and GTA being examples of western franchises selling there, but the truth is the numbers are niche there, at best.

These are the last PS3 numbers I could find

COD BlopsII Subtitle - 250.821
COD BlopsII dubbed - 71,971
Battlefield 3 - 150.265
GTAIV - 211,240
Uncharted 3 - 141.139

Those are niche numbers, at best. Compare that to the numbers Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc pull off in the west.

Emitan

Clearly Microsoft should have focused on idorus

Those are niche numbers, at best. Compare that to the numbers Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc pull off in the west.
You understand that the USA alone has 3x the population of Japan, right?

Majmun

jbjEW3YlPdZR7k.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned

You can say what you want about COD, Uncharted, Battlefield, and GTA being examples of western franchises selling there, but the truth is the numbers are niche there, at best.

Battlefield 3 - 150.265
GTAIV - 211,240
Uncharted 3 - 141.139

Which is why the iPhone sells so poorly there right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
For the first time in a long time, most of the games I'm really excited about are from Japan. I just wish they weren't so handheld-heavy. I love playing them on handhelds, of course, but I'd like a spread. Ni No Kuni kind of reminded me 'oh right, Japan can do awesome stuff on consoles too'

Clearly Microsoft should have focused on idorus

You understand that the USA alone has 3x the population of Japan, right?

Yep and those games sell 10x-20x (or even more) as much in the US as they do in Japan. In contrast big JP franchises that do sell in Japan tend to do well over here, despite our different tastes in games.

Which is why the iPhone sells so poorly there right?

I specifically said in terms of gaming. Iphone is, first and foremost, a phone. It's not a dedicated gaming machine.

mclem

To be fair the Japanese wouldn't buy an Xbox if it was made by Yoshida himself.

If I was Don I'd completely abandon the market. You tried twice, no one cared. Stop wasting money there.

ALL THESE MARKETS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
JAPAN
ATTEMPT NO
LAUNCHES THERE.

Battlefield 3 - 150.265
GTAIV - 211,240
Uncharted 3 - 141.139

Do you understand how massive a game that sells in the hundred thousands is over there?

It would be like saying Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid don't sell well here because they don't do Call of Duty numbers.

Marleyman

Banned
Japanese consumer/press reaction may influence developers. What the Japanese people think about a gaming device matters.

Why would that influence developers? If they are making a game that they know will sell well in the US why do they care what the Japanese people have to say?

ReaperXL7

Why would that influence developers? If they are making a game that they know will sell well in the US why do they care what the Japanese people have to say?

Tons of Japanese developers still make games with the Japanese audience in mind. Leaves the door open for a good number of Japanese developers/Publishers to just ignore the XBone all together.

DJIzana

Would any Japanese developer actually spend the resources to port a Xbox One game just for those that own one in North America?

I honestly don't see that happening. Even if it is easy or not... maybe that's just me though.

Tellaerin

But also iam wondering why they are so self-centered. they usually dont care about the rest of the world.

It always gets me when I hear people say things like this. I don't really see many people around here talking about how Western games and systems should cater more to Japanese tastes. If anything, there's this attitude of, "Well, they should like the same stuff we do, because it's awesome. They're weirdoes who only like strange stuff, and they're the ones missing out." Why should the majority of Japanese consumers be any different?

rpmurphy

What are the chances of Idolmaster 3 being exclusive to X1 anyway? The previous game was ported to the PS3, and all of the gravure spinoffs were exclusive to the PS3.

"They [Microsoft] are not looking at Sony or Nintendo, but are frantically coming up with countermeasures for Apple and Google."

WE HAVE A WINNER. Tho I think Sony and Nintendo have read the writing on the wall that Apple and Google left when it came to opening up platforms for developers.

Japan still does tons of games, if MS doesn't sell the console in japan then that means tons of exclusives for iOS and Android.
FTFY

oVerde

Banned
As from Latin America, I know the presentation was for North America audience, they might later have a really small conference here to tell what is the localization business about. Japanese should know it too, it's pretty obvious, always been this way, wtf.

As from Latin America, I know the presentation was for North America audience, they might later have a really small conference here to tell what is the localization business about. Japanese should know it too, it's pretty obvious, always been this way, wtf.

they never did that for the 360, I doubt they care.

Top Bottom