• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what Japanese people think of the Xbox One

Stark

Banned
Don't worry. You'll get little by little more chapters but they will get more moe/loli characters until it gets transformed into a medieval fantasy version of idolmaster and guts acts as small producer who have to face the mega corporation of Griffith cute demon idols. Intense idols hot blooded battles!

I like this.

The first guy, the Idolmaster dude... He sure likes his waifus.

oh THAT kind of idol. I thought it was some sort of game that involved collectable action figures and cards that the kinect interacted with... "idols" that you had to purchase to to fight other players and characters in the environment.

klee123

Assuming that Sony has relaxed their policies quite a bit, I doubt the Xbox One will have any advantage over the PS4 when it comes to even the niche stuff.

If a new Idolmaster does ever come out for the next gen systems, it will be on both.

beril

If you're talking about Japanese developers making Xbox versions of games specifically for western markets, they've been doing that since the original Xbox. A handful of Japan-only PS2 games got Xbox versions that didn't come out in Japan, and were actually Xbox-only in the US.

Quite a few Japanese games came out on Xbox in the west but not Japan like Dark Souls, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. Even the PC version of Dark Souls didn't come out in Japan.

It happens for big franchises and games with a huge international following yes, but plenty of games with a more japanese focus like Tales, Yakuza and Ni no Kuni did not go cross platform. They may not be huge system sellers in the west but games like still have a decent following.

Also, not securing a japanese release for games like FFXIII was a just disaster. Surely Sony can't really have been that worried about MS in japan to go that far to ensure exclusivity, and just having the cross platform release would have helped them way more than a whole bunch of mistwalker games ever could

keuja

Are there any Japanese GAFfers (as in Japanese living in Japan, not expats) that we know of?
I'd be interested in hearing about the critical reception of PS4 and X1 over there.

Seance

Banned
Is this really a problem? Isn't 4 a number signifying death in Japan too? I can't see PS4 sales suffering there because of it...

FeDWh0G.png

You and me both, Japanese guy.

Literally, the same was said about smart phones back in the day. "Why would I want to get on the internet on my phone? I just need it to make calls." And boom, the iphone happened. Things happen and times change. This move from Microsoft could be one of those times... or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Teknoman

Literally, the same was said about smart phones back in the day. "Why would I want to get on the internet on my phone? I just need it to make calls." And boom, the iphone happened. Things happen and times change. This move from Microsoft could be one of those times... or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Possibility since even WiiU is doing the whole TV thing...even though it kinda seemed like the same thing as changing input on your TV.

I like the one guy who noted, "Western Internet forums are on fire. lol" That was a fun read. I really felt like I was through the looking glass.

What are the chances of Idolmaster 3 being exclusive to X1 anyway? The previous game was ported to the PS3, and all of the gravure spinoffs were exclusive to the PS3.

The chances are approximately zero to -1 million.

I expect IM@S to be fully Sony exclusive this coming gen. I just hope they keep their policy of not region-locking games.

Don't worry. You'll get little by little more chapters but they will get more moe/loli characters until it gets transformed into a medieval fantasy version of idolmaster and guts acts as small producer who have to face the mega corporation of Griffith cute demon idols. Intense idols hot blooded battles!

I would watch the shit out of show about this.

They kinda tried to cross IM@S over into another genre with Xenoglossia but the results would have been a lot better with more HOT BLOODED BATTLES.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You can see how a lot of them are thinking "well I guess this stuff might appeal to Americans......?

But no. It doesn't. At all.

The features of this console are more to do with corporate needs than the actual way that Americans live their lives.

bakedpony

Is this really a problem? Isn't 4 a number signifying death in Japan too? I can't see PS4 sales suffering there because of it...

Nah it won't be a problem. If 4 is such a big issue, Square Enix wouldn't rerelease Final Fantasy IV multiple times.

Microsoft getting half a dozen exclusive RPGS, moneyhatting SquareEnix for some exclusives and FFXIII multiplatform, helping create Mistwalker, reaching out to Japanese Indie developers.....all for what? 1 million in sales?

Pretty sure, Microsoft doesn't care about the market which doesn't give a shit about them either. Which is not to say that Microsoft is purposely sticking it to Japan, it's just they're not going to out of their way when the main battle is mostly going to be fought in Europe. That's the focus, and you can already see signs of that in putting Forza at launch, exclusive Fifa content, and really ramping up production in their European studios.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

People didn't think they wanted Internet on their phones because the phone devices were awful and clumsy. Apple really changed that. I don't think anyone was opposed to the idea of having an ultra portable and always connected computing device that's easy to use and highly capable.

People know what it's like to have a stationary device that can access the Internet. They have computers. There's nothing game changing that this basic multitasking stuff that the XONE will bring.

Dueck

Banned
Yeah, if you want to grow, forfeiting markets isn't a good thing to do. And Microsoft basically just relegated themselves to the US, if that.

Exactly... It's like they're a butt-hurt kid, and taking their ball and going home. "Fine, Japan, you didn't like our previous stuff? We'll show you! We're never coming back! NEVER!"

I understand at this point it may appear that selling their systems in Japan is throwing good money after bad, but the answer isn't to ignore the marketplace. They have a clean slate, and should be making a machine with as broad appeal as possible. Japan may not be as large a market as the US, but basically calling it irrelevant is just handing Sony more exclusives.

elcapitan

You're comparing the ability to switch between a game and TV, which I can already do with a remote, with using internet on a phone?

Valkyria

Banned

Remote controller, how does it work?

RedSwirl

Assuming that Sony has relaxed their policies quite a bit, I doubt the Xbox One will have any advantage over the PS4 when it comes to even the niche stuff.

If a new Idolmaster does ever come out for the next gen systems, it will be on both.

What policies are these? Is there some market reason why niche games like Idolmaster and Steins;Gate either came out first on 360 or only came out on 360?

It happens for big franchises and games with a huge international following yes, but plenty of games with a more japanese focus like Tales, Yakuza and Ni no Kuni did not go cross platform. They may not be huge system sellers in the west but games like still have a decent following.

Also, not securing a japanese release for games like FFXIII was a just disaster. Surely Sony can't really have been that worried about MS in japan to go that far to ensure exclusivity, and just having the cross platform release would have helped them way more than a whole bunch of mistwalker games ever could

Generally this is the case, but I'm still wondering why Samurai Shodown V and SNK vs Capcom Chaos were originally released only on Xbox outside Japan.

I've got a fair number of friends who were at JP game shops down here, and when I mentioned the Xbox One yesterday, they just sort of laughed.

They were also kind of surprised Microsoft announced a Japanese release. Lol.

sleepykyo

But I've only posted it once before!

Yeah, but it describes Valvrave perfectly.

Back on topic, I think Microsoft will do with Japan. They did quite well this generation with North America and the UK and that was in spite of the Wii's success.

Top Bottom