• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what Japanese people think of the Xbox One

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It always gets me when I hear people say things like this. I don't really see many people around here talking about how Western games and systems should cater more to Japanese tastes. If anything, there's this attitude of, "Well, they should like the same stuff we do, because it's awesome. They're weirdoes who only like strange stuff, and they're the ones missing out." Why should the majority of Japanese consumers be any different?

I know, there's a lot of pots shouting at the kettles about their color among gamers these days.

USC-fan

Banned
FeDWh0G.png

You and me both, Japanese guy.

I was thinking the same thing. They spent so much time on this and it something I would never used and DO NOT EVEN WANT.

I rather it take 5 secs to load and then have that extra power for games.

I never understood this. How can you fully pay attention to a game while watching TV? Is it that mind numbing you can just divide your attention and win? Everything I play takes skill and coordination.

You really cant. I usually watch TV while playing a game on the WiiU Gamepad. I usually just play during the commercial breaks then pause when the show starts back up again.

Hattori

Banned
Batsuichi is not a bad name, better than xbone

so MS bet everything on the US, ignoring both the EU(somewhat) and Japan/Asia... this current gen will be very interesting for them

Fuck Idolmaster.

Miura where my god damn Berserk chapters at?

Don't worry. You'll get little by little more chapters but they will get more moe/loli characters until it gets transformed into a medieval fantasy version of idolmaster and guts acts as small producer who have to face the mega corporation of Griffith cute demon idols. Intense idols hot blooded battles!

Don't worry. You'll get little by little more chapters but they will get more moe/loli characters until it gets transformed into a medieval fantasy version of idolmaster and guts acts as small producer who have to face the mega corporation of Griffith cute demon idols. Intense idols hot blooded battles!

Sounds good.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

I'd read it.

Link Man

Banned
So Fire Emblem Awakening?

You can't really blame Microsoft for giving up. They were moronic with how they launched the 360 in Japan with focus only on Every Party and Tetris, but they did have a significant push for funding and exclusive partnerships. There was effort but it did absolutely nothing for the brand, and wasted a ton of resources. Why go through the same thing again for a measly ~million units of hardware? It's just not worth it.

Whenever you mention anything Japanese, the weeboos come in droves..

Where all these weeboos you mention?

Seriously, if that famitsu article from the bottom of the OP is correct then the system is going to be released over there and so the opinion of these Japanese posters is just as valid as anyone elses.

Besides Kotaku's the one who brought these comments to our attention, I doubt these comments were made with the foreknowledge that message boards in America would be discussing it.

They watched the presentation and they gave their opinion. /shrug

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft doesn't want to properly invest in marketing and launching a console that appeals to Japan. I don't think they even care at this point. I wonder if they'll even bother releasing the X1 in an official capacity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, super answers from Japan.

But also iam wondering why they are so self-centered. they usually dont care about the rest of the world.

they never accepted the first two xboxes, so who cares?

also as an european, iam pretty dissappointed about this us-centric entertainment-box.

What makes these comments posted on a Japanese forum, which have been liberally translated from Japanese into English, sound self-centered to you?

"I wonder how Americans are gaming at home. Whenever I'm playing a game, I never feel like I want to watch TV, so the ability to switch between the two makes no sense to me."

Geez they got such a wrong impression on us for that, reading that comment was cringeworthy >.<
I have to agree though, I don't think I've ever felt like watching TV while playing a game. I've only wanted to do that while playing Duke Nukem Forever and that was only because the load times were atrocious. I only want to watch TV during load screens not during gameplay. Still I wouldn't want it as a key feature.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What? I don't really care what they have to say. Why would I care when they didn't care when Xbox tried to cater to them at the beginning of the last gen?

Hint: It didn't. Sure, they made an effort. They actually spent some money. But they didn't have the right people in place at all. Their marketing campaign was a joke. They made a token effort with some JRPGs, and they actually got some decent sales as a result. I think Blue Dragon sold something like 120k in its first week, which was great considering the platform.

The name Xbox is just bad for Japan. Even before it gained the stigma of being a bulky mess of a console with the first one.

Love japan and their console but man when i was younger and even now I always hated that I could never get some of the games they had over there..I think thats why i was so amp up originally for the original xbox I wouldn't have wonder what it would be like to experience games anymore

(yeah totally off topic just made me think of this)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Annnnnd /thread

It's impossible to cater to those people when they can't even get passed the name.

The name obviously wasn't even the major issue preventing people from buying the original Xbox. It is just one more thing to add to the pile of Microsoft not having anyone but Americans in mind when they made the thing.

Mandoric

Banned
Annnnnd /thread

It's impossible to cater to those people when they can't even get passed the name.

"And we at Sony proudly present our newest console: the Shittobox! All your friends will be jealous!"

Or, you know, GAF"s collective meltdown at the name "Wii". That's about how much merit it has. (An uphill branding battle that can be overcome if they actually try.)

I guess I'm just salty because I'm firmly in the "Japanese 360 owner" category, even as an American, and I want my arcade-in-my-living-room box back.

I'm morbidly curious to see what they're Japan strategy will be. I wouldn't be surprise if their plan consists of letting the system fend for itself much like how Sony's treating the Vita at the moment.

RedSwirl

Would any Japanese developer actually spend the resources to port a Xbox One game just for those that own one in North America?

I honestly don't see that happening. Even if it is easy or not... maybe that's just me though.

If you're talking about Japanese developers making Xbox versions of games specifically for western markets, they've been doing that since the original Xbox. A handful of Japan-only PS2 games got Xbox versions that didn't come out in Japan, and were actually Xbox-only in the US.

Quite a few Japanese games came out on Xbox in the west but not Japan like Dark Souls, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. Even the PC version of Dark Souls didn't come out in Japan.

Teknoman

Where ever PlatinumGames and Treasure go I'll follow.

please, Please, PLEASE don't go and do something excluse on x1. D:

lol same here. Seeing Mistwalker stuff (Sakaguchi X Uematsu...gotta get it) on 360 made me go that way too. I know I can always bet on Nintendo, but going to have to play the waiting game this time.

Last gen was my first gen with more than 2 current consoles...cant see how this gen will run.

RedSwirl

Microsoft doesn't want to properly invest in marketing and launching a console that appeals to Japan. I don't think they even care at this point. I wonder if they'll even bother releasing the X1 in an official capacity.

They'll probably at least release it there if for no other reason than to get Japanese developer support.

They'll probably at least release it there if for no other reason than to get Japanese developer support.

They sent out PR stating it would be released here, iirc.

The stores that bother to stock the Xbox (most places except for general department stores), it gets about as much shelf space as the Vita.

Lmo911

Duck! He's gonna throw that whatever he has! Look at that stone cold glare! Obviously from years of isolation working at an Xbox store in Japan.

Did we expect a positive reaction? Japan has never embraced the Xbox and probably never will. I'm glad they are enjoying the western meltdowns though. Enjoy! :)

Top Bottom