• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption: Kickstarter by Quest 4 Glory's Lori/Corey Cole [Funded]

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Just wondering if this is gonna be on GOG or anywhere? Seems like no mention so far, except "DRM free copy".

Edit: Nevermind, seems so.

Almighty

The Jane Jensen barely did like 30k in its first 24 hours iirc, and still made over 400k in the end, so this should fine I think. It certainly won't blow past its goal by a lot, but I can't see it not getting there.

Cool now I can start to worry a little less. I have to keep in mind it is a marathon not a sprint

Still early, we can panic in two weeks.

Yeah I guess Project Eternity spoiled me a little. Hit its goal in just a little over 24 hours so I didn't have this period of wondering it would make it or not.

Cool now I can start to worry a little less. I have to keep in mind it is a marathon not a sprint

Yeah I guess Project Eternity spoiled me a little. Hit its goal in just a little over 24 hours so I didn't have this period of wondering it would make it or not.

The one by the Space Quest guys didn't make it until the very last day. Hopefully this one crosses a bit sooner and gets more of an extra, also the Space Quest guys were asking for $500,000 rather than the $400,000 the Coles are looking for.

Almighty

Just wondering if this is gonna be on GOG or anywhere? Seems like no mention so far, except "DRM free copy".

Nothing official yet that I know of. They do have the GOG.com logo on one of their graphics at the bottom though. I assume that is who they are using to distribute the copies of Quest for Glory. So based on that I am assuming they will use GOG to distribute the game as well.

mclem

The one by the Space Quest guys didn't make it until the very last day. Hopefully this one crosses a bit sooner and gets more of an extra, also the Space Quest guys were asking for $500,000 rather than the $400,000 the Coles are looking for.

SpaceVenture was running at the same time as Project Fedora and maybe a few others; this at least has had the benefit of being a month or so removed from the last really big adventure-related KS (Broken Sword, I think, unless anyone's got another in mind)

nonadventurer

Neo Member
Aside from DoubleFine, adventure game Kickstarters don't seem to collect a ton of money, unfortunately, making $400-700,000 or so on average.

Yeah, I know this is more of an RPG, but still, the Coles have the adventure game pedigree.

MrBud360

If the game was something more like Quest for Glory, i would have no doubts about it. This will be a good marathon. Hope they succeed!

Well seems to have really slowed to a crawl today. Only $84k raised so far. Though with this being the first smaller kickstarter I paid any attention to I am not sure if this is normal or if I should be worried. The only other kickstarters I watched this close were Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity and they were not exactly an average kickstater to use to judge this one by.

The financial goal is left than half a million. They'll hit it.

Almighty

If the game was something more like Quest for Glory, i would have no doubts about it. This will be a good marathon. Hope they succeed!

Yeah and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that this game wasn't going to be more like Quest for Glory. Though after looking at the kickstarter page, which was very well done, maybe even the best I have personally seen, I decided that the game sounds interesting enough for me to pitch in at least $20.

The financial goal is left than half a million. They'll hit it.

I think you are right. It just broke 90k so things are looking good it will at least hit its goal. Though who knows. This time tomorrow I might be singing a different tune it if looks like it has slowed down too much. :p What can I say I am not a very patient man.

Dennis

Banned
Fuck. Another Kickstarter I have to pledge for.

The sooner Kickstarter crashes and burns the sooner I will get this monkey off my back.

Almighty

Fuck. Another Kickstarter I have to pledge for.

The sooner Kickstarter crashes and burns the sooner I will get this monkey off my back.

I feel that way sometimes. So many great sounding kickstarters. I would say this one is the last for me for a while, but if someone does a Darklands kickstarter I will be all over that.

Sectus

*screams* I didn't know there was a kickstarter by the Space Quest guys!

That's my problem as well. I'd love another adventure/RPG hybrid like QFG, but something which is primarily an RPG? That's a hard sell, especially when there's no specific details how it'll play. There are already so so many RPGs out there.

Almighty

Right. And almost no adventure games with RPG elements. It's nice that they want to do something brand new, but...

Well its not like there will be no adventure elements.

Taken from the Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview I linked in the OP.

RPS: And this one’s going to be more of an RPG, of course.

COREY: I guess you could say that Quest for Glory was about 70% adventure and 30% roleplaying. This one is going to be more 60% roleplaying and 40% adventuring. Part of that is just down to the look. It’s a 2D, top-down world, so it is going to feel more like a graphical version of a grid based game like Rogue than a Quest for Glory adventure.

*screams* I didn't know there was a kickstarter by the Space Quest guys!

That's my problem as well. I'd love another adventure/RPG hybrid like QFG, but something which is primarily an RPG? That's a hard sell, especially when there's no specific details how it'll play. There are already so so many RPGs out there.

Same here. I'm not entirely convinced/impressed by what they're showing but considering Qfg is one of my all time favorite series I may support them regardless.

Boerseun

Banned
I can see where they are going with it. But whether this is really something I want to play I'll have to wait and see. I just hope it doesn't stick with the crap presentation. Right now the production art looks a helluva lot more inviting than the actual in-game graphics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Admittedly, I haven't played V since it came out, but why does everyone seem to hate it? lol

(I still wish they managed to get co-op working, but ah well).

Sectus

You can’t step into the same stretch of river twice. The Quest for Glory games were a unique combination of Lori’s and my background with the tools we had available at Sierra. If we had been working for a company with different tools, we would have made an entirely different game.
This, and some other quotes from them, definitely gives me the impression that an RPG is what they always wanted to make.

The fact they're leaning much more heavily towards the RPG side of things and considering the amount of kickstarter projects I've already backed, I think I'll skip this one.

Edit: For people interested in another QFG, I just learned there was a successful kickstarter for a small indie game called Quest for Infamy, which seems to be pretty obviously inspired by Quest for Glory: http://www.infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi

wizard341

This, and some other quotes from them, definitely gives me the impression that an RPG is what they always wanted to make.

The fact they're leaning much more heavily towards the RPG side of things and considering the amount of kickstarter projects I've already backed, I think I'll skip this one.

Edit: For people interested in another QFG, I just learned there was a successful kickstarter for a small indie game called Quest for Infamy, which seems to be pretty obviously inspired by Quest for Glory: http://www.infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi

Thanks for linking Quest for Infamy! I hadn't heard of it prior but it looks exactly what I was hoping the Cole's new project would look like.

Teppic

Thanks for linking Quest for Infamy! I hadn't heard of it prior but it looks exactly what I was hoping the Cole's new project would look like.
Tried it. Watched the intro, then I used the look icon on the salesman and got this "This guy is almost feminine looking. What a sissy"

Turned it off and threw it away.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like the idea, but their character art is completely unappealing to me.

I'll keep an eye on this, but that art is keeping me from jumping in now. It's too bad, because I quite liked the art style of the Quest for Glory games.

Admittedly, I haven't played V since it came out, but why does everyone seem to hate it? lol

(I still wish they managed to get co-op working, but ah well).

The game just isn't as fun as the first four are... the combat's not quite as good (hack-and-slash stuff in the overworld? It's not awful, but it's not really QFG...), and the game just doesn't quite match up. The polygon characters have aged too, for sure. And yes, it was disappointing that the multiplayer mode didn't make it into the full game and is only in the first demo.

Overall QFGV is a good game, but the first four are better. The game is worth playing because it concludes the series, but it probably is the least fun one... though I'd likely put it above the original version of QFG2 because I never liked not knowing what I can ask people. The QFG2 fan remake would go above it though.

DiscoJer

Update #3, addressing concerns that it won't be adventure game enough.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/335644

It goes on a bit, but this is probably the highlight

Add enough character development, and a bit of combat, to an adventure game, and you have a CRPG. Add enough story and puzzles to a CRPG, and you have an adventure game. Why settle for just one?

What I find kind of funny though, is that in QFG, you pretty much made your own character, which was unusual for an adventure game. But here, you are given a character to play, which is now common in CRPGs, but didn't used to be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The game just isn't as fun as the first four are... the combat's not quite as good (hack-and-slash stuff in the overworld? It's not awful, but it's not really QFG...), and the game just doesn't quite match up. The polygon characters have aged too, for sure. And yes, it was disappointing that the multiplayer mode didn't make it into the full game and is only in the first demo.

Overall QFGV is a good game, but the first four are better. The game is worth playing because it concludes the series, but it probably is the least fun one... though I'd likely put it above the original version of QFG2 because I never liked not knowing what I can ask people. The QFG2 fan remake would go above it though.

QFG4 was a parody of fighting games though. :p

Although I guess it was the natural extension of the old QFG combat, but still... lol

Almighty

Update #3, addressing concerns that it won't be adventure game enough.

That was a nice little update I thought, though I think it should of been sooner. I personally think they really need to hammer it home that while this game is going to have more of an RPG focus then QfG the adventure portion is still there.

Anyway added update to OP.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

When I interviewed Corey for my adventure game book a few years back, he basically said that they weren't really fans of adventure games because they felt they were too obtuse. So it makes sense that they only turned out that way because of Sierra's SCI tools. Which is OK - Quest for Glory is the series I always recommend to people who might be interested in Sierra's style and humor but don't actually like typical point-and-clicks.

As for Quest for Glory V, it uses its own engine rather than the SCI stuff in the first four games. It lessens the adventure game elements, and it's more focused on the RPG and combat stuff than the storytelling. I believe Sierra thought any adventure games were sales poison and were trying to get away from that, rather than any particular decision by Lori Cole. So I have faith this one will be more line with the previous QfGs despite the larger emphasis on the RPG stuff.

When I interviewed Corey for my adventure game book a few years back, he basically said that they weren't really fans of adventure games because they felt they were too obtuse. So it makes sense that they only turned out that way because of Sierra's SCI tools. Which is OK - Quest for Glory is the series I always recommend to people who might be interested in Sierra's style and humor but don't actually like typical point-and-clicks.

As for Quest for Glory V, it uses its own engine rather than the SCI stuff in the first four games. It lessens the adventure game elements, and it's more focused on the RPG and combat stuff than the storytelling. I believe Sierra thought any adventure games were sales poison and were trying to get away from that, rather than any particular decision by Lori Cole. So I have faith this one will be more line with the previous QfGs despite the larger emphasis on the RPG stuff.

I'm curious about this. At the time I thought it was a push from Sierra as well. But now, reading this, I am inclined to believe that its closer to the game they wanted to make. Why do you hold the belief that it was Sierra?

It goes on a bit, but this is probably the highlight

What I find kind of funny though, is that in QFG, you pretty much made your own character, which was unusual for an adventure game. But here, you are given a character to play, which is now common in CRPGs, but didn't used to be.
The problem, I think, is that having more paths costs more money. This is also why adventure games don't do multiple-path stuff like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has, I think...

QFG4 was a parody of fighting games though. :p

Although I guess it was the natural extension of the old QFG combat, but still... lol
You're right that QFG4 did change the combat system quite a bit, but though it was different, QFG4's was still pretty good, and had more in common with QFG1-3 combat than QFGV's button-mashing stuff does, I think...

Almighty

Huummmm now that I am done with XCOM and Dishonoured I think it is time I should play QfG 5. It is the only one I never played(didn't even know it existed for a long time) and I now have it with the QfG collection on GOG. As for combat in my opinion they are all pretty bad. Though out of the ones I played I thought QfG 4 was the worse of the bunch. The fan remake of QfG 2 I thought did a really good job with it combat(and everything else). It is probably what made me realize the others are just okay at best.

Anyway new update is out and added to the OP.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
I really like the last two updates, and Kicktraq seems to show they just might make it. Here's hoping.

They are going to need some more press coverage, though; I hope they've got it planned already.

Almighty

I really like the last two updates, and Kicktraq seems to show they just might make it. Here's hoping.

They are going to need some more press coverage, though; I hope they've got it planned already.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I think it would help if they release more details about the game. All we have so for is some vague idea of what they are planning. Which is somewhat understandable since they are really early in development, but most of what I got is they want to do an RPG with adventure elements like Quest for Glory, but also not like Quest for Glory with some Persona thrown in. Which sounds interesting, but they need to give some more details if they want to bring more attention.

Almighty

Another update out. This one actually contains a little more info about the game. Sadly though checking out kicktraq unless they get some nice bumps things aren't looking good.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
I've witnessed some outright attacks at Corey and Lori at another gaming forum for not staying true to the style of Quest for Glory, to the point of some people accusing them of "raping" the franchise by positioning Hero-U as a "spiritual successor" to QfG and placing it in the same universe of Gloriana. So yeah, hell hath no fury like an enraged oldschool fan scorned.

(I'm not denying there are some problems with the pitch, though, like a very vague presentation of the gameplay. So I guess what I'm trying to say is there are two aspects to the problem of why they aren't getting funded, the "vague pitch" factor and the "nostalgia" factor.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has this not been doing good? I tend to just pay and forget with these things.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are angry fanboys though. Then again, of the Sierra ones I feel burned by the most, I kind of regret buying into the LSL hype.

Almighty

Has this not been doing good? I tend to just pay and forget with these things.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are angry fanboys though. Then again, of the Sierra ones I feel burned by the most, I kind of regret buying into the LSL hype.

I am just a pessimist. I don't think it is yet at the point where it is surely doomed to failure, but it looks like if it makes it will just barely and will come down to the wire. Pretty much as some predicted in this thread at the start. I personally was hoping it would of at least crossed the halfway point by now.

I've witnessed some outright attacks at Corey and Lori at another gaming forum for not staying true to the style of Quest for Glory, to the point of some people accusing them of "raping" the franchise by positioning Hero-U as a "spiritual successor" to QfG and placing it in the same universe of Gloriana. So yeah, hell hath no fury like an enraged oldschool fan scorned.

(I'm not denying there are some problems with the pitch, though, like a very vague presentation of the gameplay. So I guess what I'm trying to say is there are two aspects to the problem of why they aren't getting funded, the "vague pitch" factor and the "nostalgia" factor.)

Yeah I feel bad for the Coles here. They want to make a game and I will take their word that they can't do a Quest for Glory style game on this budget, but it seems that them trying something different has hurt them maybe even more then I was expecting. Though like you said I think some of the blame lies on them. If you are not going to ride the nostalgia wave and are going to try something new then you have to provide a lot of details. It has been two weeks and for the most part we don't know anything more about the game then when it started.

I am just a pessimist. I don't think it is yet at the point where it is surely doomed to failure, but it looks like if it makes it will just barely and will come down to the wire. Pretty much as some predicted in this thread at the start. I personally was hoping it would of at least crossed the halfway point by now.
Right now it's looking like it won't quite make it, but yeah, it could pick up near the end, these things sometimes do... we'll see.

Yeah I feel bad for the Coles here. They want to make a game and I will take their word that they can't do a Quest for Glory style game on this budget, but it seems that them trying something different has hurt them maybe even more then I was expecting. Though like you said I think some of the blame lies on them. If you are not going to ride the nostalgia wave and are going to try something new then you have to provide a lot of details. It has been two weeks and for the most part we don't know anything more about the game then when it started.
Yeah, if it'd been a QfG-style game I'd have put in enough for a boxed copy for sure, but with this unknown quantity, I just put in enough to get the downloadable game and no more. Will I like this as much as QFG? Who knows, so I can't convince myself to spend more on it...

DiscoJer

Yeah, but at the same time, what else is there to know? We know what the engine is (MacGuffin's Curse), we know the plot and main character, and it will be somewhat like Persona (later ones), go to school, then dungeoncrawling.

I guess more info about the teachers and classmates would be helpful.

But a lot of really big KS's have been based on less. Double Fine, did they give any specifics about what sort of adventure game? The opposite, really

A: Other than that it will be an old school adventure, we're not sure. That's the beauty of it! Everything will unfold in front of the cameras with help from you!

Or WL2, that got millions basically on "It's like the old Fallouts", and Shadowrun Returns got by just on being Shadowrun and like Wasteland 2.

Almighty

Right now it's looking like it won't quite make it, but yeah, it could pick up near the end, these things sometimes do... we'll see.

Yeah I was assuming this game will have a nice last day bump like it seems most kickstarters get. The question is will that last day be enough to fill the gap? If the trend on kicktraq keeps on the same course I have my doubts, but you never know for sure until the last minute.

Almighty

Yeah, but at the same time, what else is there to know? We know what the engine is (MacGuffin's Curse), we know the plot and main character, and it will be somewhat like Persona (later ones), go to school, then dungeoncrawling.

I guess more info about the teachers and classmates would be helpful.

More info on the combat system, skills, school, characters, etc. For a game that is mostly RPG focused I think they have been pretty quiet on the RPG mechanics, the character and combat systems especially. Now some of that is understandable since the game is very early in development, but it seems that they should be talking more about that stuff.

But a lot of really big KS's have been based on less. Double Fine, did they give any specifics about what sort of adventure game? The opposite, really

Or WL2, that got millions basically on "It's like the old Fallouts", and Shadowrun Returns got by just on being Shadowrun and like Wasteland 2.

All of those and many more rode a lot on nostalgia though. Double Fine was pretty much "We want to make an adventure game like the ones we made at Lucas Arts. If you like those then please help us make a new one." Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun, etc followed the same kind of pattern just replace adventure with old school RPG.

The Coles was more along the lines of "Remember us? We made the Quest for Glory series and want to make a new game. Kind of like the Quest for Glories, but not really as that would be too expensive. So we have this new idea we want to try. Please help us make it happen." As A Black Falcon said that's not exactly a pitch that will make Quest for Glory fans open their wallets and give til it hurts. On top of that it is possible that they also might of alienated some adventure fans that might of given by saying this will be more RPG focused as well.

To make up for that I really think they have to show more then the others did.

How long until there's a Kickstarter called a cash grab?

(I mean differently from the obvious "let's just throw up a Kickstarter because free money" ala Takedown)

Almighty

Been busy over the weekend and looks like I missed two new updates. Both are now added to the OP. Looks like they are also starting to talk a little about some of the design ideas/philosophy behind the game.

Top Bottom