• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmmm... the wait time if you buy an Omega CMVS now is 8-10 weeks. I hope that's not an indication of what I should expect. Both me and one of my friends bought one on the same day, so I'd like to think we contributed to the struggle.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Hmmm... the wait time if you buy an Omega CMVS now is 8-10 weeks. I hope that's not an indication of what I should expect. Both me and one of my friends bought one on the same day, so I'd like to think we contributed to the struggle.

For what it's worth I ordered mine in mid-May and they confirmed via email that the lead time was still 5-6 weeks. I'll keep you guys posted on when it arrives...

Mine took a good couple of month to arrive in the UK when I bought mine a few years back. IIRC the guy makes them to order so the time will vary depending on how busy he is.

Edit: Totally worth the wait through! The Omega is a thing of beauty and I've never had a single issue with mine.

Danny Dudekisser

Mine took a good couple of month to arrive in the UK when I bought mine a few years back. IIRC the guy makes them to order so the time will vary depending on how busy he is.

Edit: Totally worth the wait through! The Omega is a thing of beauty and I've never had a single issue with mine.

Yeah, and after wanting a Neo Geo for so long, I know that a couple weeks won't kill me. Besides -- this is the kinda thing you hang onto for a long, long time.

Glowsquid

I just bought Ghost Pilots CD, please tell me that the game isn't complete garbage (never played it before).

Ghost Pilots doesn't have a very good reputation among shmups enthusiast (for a while, it was a favourite in "worst shmupz ever??!" threads on shmups dot system 11) and it's not entirely undeserved: it represents everything that was irritating with old school shmups. The player plane is s l o w and has an huge sprite that is the entire hitbox. When you die, you lose all of your accumulated pwoer-ups irrespective of how much you had collected. Add to that the well-trodden "world war II but not really" visual theme and it's a game that's just not vastly exciting or revolutionary on any level.

I don't dislike it tho. The sprite art is nice. It keeps you on your toes. Some of the boss battles are enjoyably tense. Some of the alternate bombs types are cool. If you like those early Toaplan games (think Twin Hawk or Flying Shark) with yhuge levels and simple gameplay, it can be enjoyable.

Be aware autofire makes the game about 1000003% more playable though.

Producer

Anyone here play on wii virtual console? Hows the emulation quality? I know that the metal slug games had the hitflashes removed which is a big bummer, any other titles got something altered as well?

So...for some reason I decided to buy a Hyper Neo Geo 64 with Sam Sho 2, Fatal Fury and Buriki One.

A slight case of buyer's remorse even before it has arrived, to be honest. Always been slightly fascinated by it though, and prices are rising so it is probably now or never.

Plus I'm running out of MVS games I can actually afford :(

Danny Dudekisser

So...for some reason I decided to buy a Hyper Neo Geo 64 with Sam Sho 2, Fatal Fury and Buriki One.

A slight case of buyer's remorse even before it has arrived, to be honest. Always been slightly fascinated by it though, and prices are rising so it is probably now or never.

Plus I'm running out of MVS games I can actually afford :(

Nah dude, that's fucking cool. I only ever played a Hyper Neo Geo 64 once (the racing game), but it was cool. Errr... well, it was when I was in like... 4th grade.

I'm tempted to buy King of Fighters 2000. I have the Dreamcast version, which has the rad arranged soundtrack, but I kinda want the original to go with it. It was the first KOF game that really clicked for me, and I think I'd have a hell of a good time with it, once my Omega gets here.

2k might be the best KoF that I don't yet own in any form, and I've been wanting to change that for a while now. From what I gather it's the best assist style KoF (99-2k1) and I've always loved the hell out of the presentation and artwork.

Nah dude, that's fucking cool. I only ever played a Hyper Neo Geo 64 once (the racing game), but it was cool. Errr... well, it was when I was in like... 4th grade.

I'm tempted to buy King of Fighters 2000. I have the Dreamcast version, which has the rad arranged soundtrack, but I kinda want the original to go with it. It was the first KOF game that really clicked for me, and I think I'd have a hell of a good time with it, once my Omega gets here.
Yeah, I had a list of must-buy games when I got my MVS, which included KoF 96. I know it isn't considered the best by any means, but it was the one that introduced me to the series and I had to have it.

If that's 2k for you, I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Loona

You take good care if those - I suspect there aren't that many out there, and it'd be a shame if those pieces of SNK history were lost to some form of decay or neglect.

You take good care if those - I suspect there aren't that many out there, and it'd be a shame if those pieces of SNK history were lost to some form of decay or neglect.
You'd think so, but it sold so poorly that a ton of 'new old stock' ended up in the UK for some reason (I presume over production on SNK's part). Boxed, untouched by human hands and with all the artwork etc. At one point you could pick up the games and boards for about £25 a pop.

Stupidly I missed the boat, and they've at least doubled in price in recent years. Still, the ones I bought look like NOS to me and I will take good care of them ;)

If only every arcade game I bought was in such good condition!

Galdelico

Hey guys, I thought to ask you a favour, if it's possible.

Can anyone with a japanese AES Ghost Pilots, provide me a high resolution scan of the manual's cover?

I'm currently doing this project for a good friend of mine, who is both an AES and MVS collector. Basically, for his MVS carts, he asked me to make custom covers, which look like this:

mvs_custom_covers___pulstar_by_g_for_galdelico-db53ls3.png

I'm having a bit of trouble findind good quality artworks for Ghost Pilots online, so if anyone here could help, it would come endlessly appreciated.

As a final note: all the covers I make are gifts for my friend only. I don't sell them anywhere.

Thanks in advance guys. ;)

Shin

Banned
Pretty much the best system of the 16-bit era, the games just looked mind blowing.
Got to give it to SNK when it comes to character design, background, music and the likes.

Torgo

I've had my AES since they were released in the US. It's been modded with Component Video and stereo audio out, and have had a UniBIOS installed so that I can play MVS carts via my Phantom converter.

I also just found a great deal on a CD unit, which I'm liking a lot more than I expected to :)

1u9U5GxsAeoVoqXJoAYWYtdOI4lWc2Z_KQy1_wqSjGz6BVSpLJ4ANBBaHZMkedGHeLDuqkxdMUDZ7xaCaeY9lvdvBtmKMdT9yqKqCOu0WD6XjhjVh5zpxdPEDajxuwJ1gqyjJSIieZizdgNiKCNWqJKNo1CljWhTXD20MEJuA5OLP7mDw_AKJCWosaP0zDhX3PId4lqGdjGqtzpIZZirOLIRy3sg62rhJ7OcqwUR8YaNb9IQ9RLrWVzvWc3yrV-mmsM5rxDaPZhZMDlexYaW_-G2PxHT6c1r-SBNV0RXt_Fpsd32JYxXmqj-MRENUQxLfv3obXIg0EMQ_cnE-olEqRlhoa6u2zal-5SNQ8ylo5c5EF4NhMcrfkm9vjjtRTNcPGJ20TldtzCNhmJKgqBBW3qnWz9CkDKLzXkRLDOOxPMBdEPT_FoYwy4MkQwz5OIkCpGiNndw7LZ3GGkjuTPKdt39ZpeAHuuCHTgMJcIYo4OwMsQBRYVG0jvWpOdGvz1WhWOsrwBqYWp0RxrFB8ckbkzlwW4f-kwgFjRlA1STvusZQUrYDo89DtffmlBcpFsyr00Qnp9kWLKpBA3QszkydS_fRhsU-vB6b9GdUxGboHxeECKe3t3GPQ=w1260-h945-no

Ow3FKnLnB7YpRnRPv0rQjo6CWxG30ZBo_IK6jo5GDnrDl23PxBHPnc8UqaXIvwlZR8rfCe6XcimzrH-TGRosHSLEtihuXaI__JjmONBzCHiCpkjEFqzLfOCW9jpME_vaqyG_RpFhJlI62tQ6-pewpdqoavZviSkDU7kPOKDu8ErvQLghaeWzfRiogsHbDY_KBr7nrN13WLAvuGMo40CH6Q5j26zMgErG8d7b04eJT16K0Cr5kJx5grPFy3MQCUrQwqfG1cKJCPRkkXQyBW4DBto5xdlcC2MHj6J8K4XkcjPKWSDXaqJoYHY7RY02KHn6-wgb46xOt36F1XcwIG7U7hPPQZCA-peWTl0RxU_t8JlQ-EFCu4PpB22kzZRpTysoDCj-ZvX33hSttrpWQ_E1zMwxHSWll6sQ65OZvh6bDxaXicrLHPlSPXzib6Y8Kxx2Mv3AFUCcFt7NE0zc-Tdj064S6Do4ZsjQgcEjBfbXLz5-hFcBYcK0R49Yb2icSN8asRZB4ZG40FlOUQe7NDT8QSCvNXfwnQN1g5I7bKnA13JhCNhFOYLsMb_6eFSz8ISfuX7ouvCED0A96MXuzOqeDyGAQg-X6oECgJV_HqHfv3jdA75K1Vh_wg=w709-h945-no

rJjjRr9GAZ3A-jBGk6UsDWyk8HFz_3EzOlNhk_Nq33ZyRdA20fqOqBGDIXmWt2K8eAYza1l5aR8ZdZPYGpaqsDp5D3v08EUZLw75kKvw_gF8gHEjRbrTS1EwuivNJLmZDD5DZRMM2AAf-5wDLvpnosdxBQlOaERT4ZHtXaa8c6tfJKjTyC2WKYb3H_hGdhNlUQSTO1dpwsqKuFwCcIitJwtFLLayWAMhekJPBt8b5aEe_Mw9sAw1RmOUuCiZgBIP5MEo5ydK4nPtXi0AfmQkAP5ssPFa8z-0St3_YgYnGQ3JUOmCqlY1jRXw5tjSoYmRUBof0nghBkpLvZHhESAiGoleNA9272rYWweSh-ZERP46piFk6McxuS8MhheM9f3HvTt9NOODWXAzB-rJCC8k9yazv6JaVQy8K0RiCjBiPn4cIdNR5TR8RH5UgOTyuvr16uZKoScwMgv__-a-jw52mOv4N4BZY_3uTJYkPWiNDUtPMRM_bU_m-nt7aFjk3dqQOaJdF4zMmIqIaZze3fAYzLPExAp7PLGLxCoGyHAyEH15Fo-ugRCLGiNNhTDE4C_mD0d8_1D4bzwS5tWTufA4wo7BRGTG3Ft3_a67kjjW0Kdd8vxuxQYSDw=w709-h945-no

9OinQj24DHehRO03lHZdd_v777bLSvqp_3g4ID7jWNHIfeE1bQoUgPcTwg8NFcOBSC6XvU6zfQH5EUUNo19JgFTP9ThUCilnsFFsJAdS6USMe3wslp-PMCxTSlLA_aZFg9YDDasd-WbWs35Cc9AImYxYnTpX4m5TBUakAlmXBm0QTcn07H0TxDiML0GcEP6cp8D69_YuSxzGyBN7FwHf4NDFZ01VEdPJowXQxGn9rDHu9qvSMN2Lv9AW5nZXiCwCVp6DANHxdSHzsAMLP23fZ0d-0XH7O83peccjaWKgwxLaULDBKsSubcgRQiVcB2ngJEpftSvder7X8hpad5NvaAMUPIkZ_y0HR8blJ8dPFIkRuW4r2hn20Y4MTulfCT8ld0p8a56lmjx0WIu1El0qSu9D-9Fwj-34dlRkChYIVib1CLb6xz5U2lyhDz1b_eSLAl0sroCb-l-mRo9M0P9q4I5NM9STT8CIhT0gKO-LFYps5O3SDyxuFJiADJRtYQwoK1d2LnQQqxsW4ItjNRkF8oOL7uY6BEcqN3AEpdKeTl_wyuTp6HrVGhC66mpaPk-sUTuDIBlxUX_8iAxvugQYcQidklQrZbxDit-WsLFp3i-Wz8QVjm8yPw=w709-h945-no

jbueno

So I´ve been a Neo fan since the 90s, but only ever enjoyed the games in the arcades and a friend´s place who was rich and had an AES, and well ports. Always wanted to get into AES collecting, but alas couldn´t afford it until now. Will be going to Japan in a few months, interested in buying an AES and some of the common games while in there. Anyone knows how much a boxed AES system goes for these days in Japan?

Danny Dudekisser

So, I'm putting together a new arcade stick to go along with my Neo Geo setup, and the lever and buttons got here today. I've used Seimitsu sticks before, and frankly, I think the JLF and Hayabusa are shit... so that was a given. But I haven't tried Seimitsu buttons before. Holy shit. Not even installed into a stick, just pressing the buttons gives you such a remarkably better tactile response than Sanwa buttons. Like, this is how arcade buttons should feel. I'm really looking forward to getting this whole thing put together... not that I'll be able to use it until my Omega shows up.

Peltz

I've had my AES since they were released in the US. It's been modded with Component Video and stereo audio out, and have had a UniBIOS installed so that I can play MVS carts via my Phantom converter.

I also just found a great deal on a CD unit, which I'm liking a lot more than I expected to :)

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, I ordered KOF 2000. There's basically no way I'm not going to buy it at some point, so fuck it... why not just get it now?

So I´ve been a Neo fan since the 90s, but only ever enjoyed the games in the arcades and a friend´s place who was rich and had an AES, and well ports. Always wanted to get into AES collecting, but alas couldn´t afford it until now. Will be going to Japan in a few months, interested in buying an AES and some of the common games while in there. Anyone knows how much a boxed AES system goes for these days in Japan?

I'm also heading to Japan soon (October can't come quick enough!!!) - so any general tips on the shopping scene there would be much appreciated.

On a related note - if any fellow UK collectors would like me to keep an eye out for something (price and size taken into consideration), I'd be more than happy to pick it up and post it to you when I get home.

I'm also heading to Japan soon (October can't come quick enough!!!) - so any general tips on the shopping scene there would be much appreciated.

On a related note - if any fellow UK collectors would like me to keep an eye out for something (price and size taken into consideration), I'd be more than happy to pick it up and post it to you when I get home.

Just came back from a two week trip earlier in May! We only stayed in Tokyo but spent about three days game hunting around Akihabara and I'll say your first stop should be Trader (2 for the older games) and Beep iirc. They have some of the rarer and also more affordable titles (as far as Neo Geo goes...). Beyond Akiba go to Super Potato in Ikebukuro, cheaper prices than the exorbitant Akiba location but still should be your last resort tbh. Beyond that you might be lucky enough to find an aes console at bookoff's/hard off but they're sparse in central Tokyo, will have to travel further out. I wish I could tell you about Osaka but that's next year :)

Danny Dudekisser

Can someone explain to me the appeal of AES carts at this point in time? Like, that KOF 2000 AES cart is almost $5000. I don't get it.

No self respecting person should own a Freaked US KOF 2000.

But then most communities dont have people come in and gleefully destroy legitimate content and replace it with their own branding, easy to see why things can become very toxic when guys do this....

attachment.php

What's happening here?

Chris R and Dion Dakis shredding Inserts because only their inserts are 'official'.

Top Bottom