• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Jesus. I had no idea about all this. I was so ill informed. Wow, that is some fucked up shit. I legitimately recoiled at that picture of them shredding SNK assets. Fuck that whole operation.

Hoo boy, NGF lore spils into Neo Gaf. Fun stuff. It's a shitshow through and through.

Also, did anyone order the Neo Geo Visual History book today? I put my preorder in.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hoo boy, NGF lore spils into Neo Gaf. Fun stuff. It's a shitshow through and through.

Also, did anyone order the Neo Geo Visual History book today? I put my preorder in.

I preordered it a couple weeks back. Amazon had it for like $22 or something, and I kinda had to get it.

I preordered it a couple weeks back. Amazon had it for like $22 or something, and I kinda had to get it.

Oh no, you used the Amazon link? You might want to retract it and order directly from Bitmap Books. They've been constantly posting about how those Amazon links aren't valid.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Oh no, you used the Amazon link? You might want to retract it and order directly from Bitmap Books. They've been constantly posting about how those Amazon links aren't valid.

Yup I cancelled my Amazon pre-order and went through Bitmap as soon as I saw that special editions were available.

I got the Collector's Edition, I'm not fussed about a t-shirt and gold lettering.

I'm gonna stick with my Amazon preorder. I really don't know why Bitmap are doing that, because I always bought their books with large discounts on book depository.

"No stock is shipping to Amazon. When Bitmap Books submitted for an ISBN they had to provide a summary of the book. Amazon (and others) then scrape this info and create listings. Bitmap Books have managed to take down the Amazon UK listings. I suspect anyone ordering through Amazon US/Jpn/Germany will get a notification (cancelling or putting the order on hold) at some point after we launch the book in two weeks time."

Riptwo

"No stock is shipping to Amazon. When Bitmap Books submitted for an ISBN they had to provide a summary of the book. Amazon (and others) then scrape this info and create listings. Bitmap Books have managed to take down the Amazon UK listings. I suspect anyone ordering through Amazon US/Jpn/Germany will get a notification (cancelling or putting the order on hold) at some point after we launch the book in two weeks time."
Well, that sucks. I had the book ordered through amazon.ca, but there's no way that I'm switching up my Amazon preorder to one through Bitmap Books due to the insane difference in cost.

Shinriji

The worst thing that can happen is a cancelled order and a $5 voucher for my trouble.

I need to re-evaluate my life (long rambling post not helping my cause):

WgOGOD5.jpg

I've no idea how SNK managed to cock this one up so badly. I think maybe they spent more time designing cool looking carts than they did making the games:

That beast is clad entirely in metal and feels like it would smash the MVS cart if it landed on it. But that's a much better game than FF:WA, so I'm not going to do that.

Setting it up is actually a doddle if you have an MVS or JAMMA set up already. Just pop the cab on the top of the unit and clamp it with the two levers either side of the cart. The big brass things pop it back out again like a big, expensive SNES. Despite the size of the board and carts, it fit in my cab pretty well. At least better than my Naomi with all the Capcom I/O gubbins.

Just make sure you get a rev 2 board, because the rev 1 isn't JAMMA compatible for some silly reason.

The kits are actually kind of neat. As I mentioned before, a ton of new old stock ended up in the UK, so these things are near mint. Probably untouched by human hands...can't think why.

In terms of hardware it was well behind the curve, considering Sega was messing around with the Model 3 and Naomi by the time these games were being developed. It is probably more comparable to the PS1 than Dreamcast, which was really not going to catch anyone's eye in the arcade.

All things told, the games look objectively worse than everything SNK was putting out on the MVS at the time. Buriki One was made in the same year as Mark of the Wolves. Tell me which looks better, then and now?

I understand SNK felt the need to jump on the 3D bandwagon and leave the aging MVS hardware behind, but this was not paying to their strengths at all. A fact highlighted by the slow, ugly, cumbersome mess that is Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition. It feels like you're playing a bad Chinese close of a Fatal Fury game.

In fact it is a pity they never released any 2D games, because it could have well been a powerhouse and genuine successor to the MVS.

But you know, 3D. It's better, innit?

In all fairness, Samurai Spirits 2 is a big step up despite being only slightly less ugly than FF:WA. At least it plays like a half decent SS game, and adds a few new characters (who you might recognise if you played SS2 on the NGPC, because that was a port of this game) and other elements.

By the time we get to Buriki One (the last game to be release on the NG64) SNK are actually showing some promise here. This is a genuinely fun fighting game that isn't trying to xerox a 2D franchise and slapping on a dodge button. In fact they've gone in completely the opposite direction and created a control scheme so mental it's amazing it actually works - you use the buttons to move and the stick to change pose and attack. It sounds like a gimmick, but it actually helps slow the pace down and works nicely with the MMA setting.

It's a real pity these last couple of games weren't ported to PS1 or anything else, and are very unlikely to ever be released. Is there even any decent emulation route now?

Still, SNK made their own bed here. I would not recommend picking one up unless you're really curious. And even then, the barrier for entry was made stupidly high considering they wanted you to buy a separate board for the driving games and the (single) shooting game. I understand the limitations of the MVS meant that driving and shooting games were limited to joystick which wasn't ideal, but this is the complete opposite problem. At least the Naomi could do it all from one board.

I'm probably never going to pick those up, or the one remaining fighting game I don't have (SS 64, which is much more expensive for some reason). After I'm done with Buriki One and SS2 it'll all go in to a cupboard somewhere until I accidentally bump in to it while looking for Christmas decorations and I can remind myself I wasted £190 on something that is probably more suitable for cladding than it is playing.

Producer

Anyone here play on wii virtual console? Hows the emulation quality? I know that the metal slug games had the hitflashes removed which is a big bummer, any other titles got something altered as well?

No one has any input on this? I know most people here probably play on real hardware but im way too broke/cheap for that lol.

The Hyper 64 was SNK's SuperGrafx (or maybe PCFX?)

The rev 1 was for Neo cabs that use the SNK's 'not quite Jamma will blow something up if you plug it in' set-up.
Yeah, they messed up the rev 1 and apparently it won't even work out of the box without some fiddling.

The rev 2 works fine with an MVS setup, not tried Jamma but it should be OK too.

And you're right, there are lots of parallels with Hudson Soft and the SuperGrafx. But at least that was backwards compatible and didn't require you to buy three separate consoles to play all seven (seven!) games.

Should have got a Taito F3 instead, at least that has Bubble Bobble.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
How easy is it to set up a Hyper NG64 with a SuperGun?

I know it isn't great, but....I kinda want one, lol. It'll be a good compliment to my MVS and Atomiswave, lol

How easy is it to set up a Hyper NG64 with a SuperGun?

I know it isn't great, but....I kinda want one, lol. It'll be a good compliment to my MVS and Atomiswave, lol
I don't have a Supergun to test, but as long as you get a rev 2 I don't see why it shouldn't work. Don't quote me on that though!

Honestly, I'd be more tempted to get a Naomi if I were you. I should have got an Atomiswave instead ;p

Danny Dudekisser

How were the other non-Blazing Star/Pulstar shmups? I'm specifically interested in Aero Fighters 2 and 3, along with Strikers 1945 Plus.

How were the other non-Blazing Star/Pulstar shmups? I'm specifically interested in Aero Fighters 2 and 3, along with Strikers 1945 Plus.

I really like both Aero Fighters 2 and Strikers 1945+, more so than Blazing Star and Pulstar. However, I really just seem to prefer vertical scrolling STGs to horizontal scrolling.

Honestly, I find the STG offerings on Neo Geo lacking in general, but those two are great.

Ruprit

I really like both Aero Fighters 2 and Strikers 1945+, more so than Blazing Star and Pulstar. However, I really just seem to prefer vertical scrolling STGs to horizontal scrolling.

Honestly, I find the STG offerings on Neo Geo lacking in general, but those two are great.

Definitely lacking, but I really enjoy Strikers 1945 Plus. You could also have a look at Last Resort, Prehistoric Isle 2, and Viewpoint. They're all fun and I think more enjoyable than Blazing Star and Pulstar. Viewpoint has some awesome music btw.

Danny Dudekisser

Yo, Omega owners. What kind of SCART cable are you using for your system? I asked the store owner, and he said it has a 9-pin port, and recommends just using the one they sell on their site. Which would be easy enough.

No idea what the quality of the cable is, though, so I was wondering what solutions you guys have opted for... who knows, maybe theirs is the best choice?

Yo, Omega owners. What kind of SCART cable are you using for your system? I asked the store owner, and he said it has a 9-pin port, and recommends just using the one they sell on their site. Which would be easy enough.

No idea what the quality of the cable is, though, so I was wondering what solutions you guys have opted for... who knows, maybe theirs is the best choice?

theirs is totally fine, nothing more or less than what it needed. I couldn't say if there if there was a better one, in fact when I remember looking around at the time of my Omega purchase, I couldn't even find any alternatives lol.

by the way, I feel for anyone who is having to wait for their Omega. I got mine in like early 2015 or so, and it was in stock. Two months would be unbearable for me.

Danny Dudekisser

theirs is totally fine, nothing more or less than what it needed. I couldn't say if there if there was a better one, in fact when I remember looking around at the time of my Omega purchase, I couldn't even find any alternatives lol.

by the way, I feel for anyone who is having to wait for their Omega. I got mine in like early 2015 or so, and it was in stock. Two months would be unbearable for me.

Good to know.

And yeah, the wait is killin' me. I'm about 5 weeks in... which, if the older lead time is to believed, means it should be shipping in the next week or so.

On the upside, it's given me time to buy games, get all my new arcade stick stuff squared away, etc. It's not like I'll lose interest in Neo Geo because of a couple more weeks of waiting.

I use theirs, too. No problems at all.

The cables they sell on the Omega site are pretty damn good imo.

Just a heads up though, Component provides significantly better quality than SCART, so if that's an option available for your use case, I would definitely opt for the Neo Geo Omega Console Component Cable.

Edit - Ignore the above, I need to study harder.

*Dogeza*
3936bf379b3d8d657b33c1bf60924e82--sad-kitty-sleepy-kitty.jpg

Glowsquid

Man, Crossed Swords II owns and is such a massive improvement over the first game. I'm almost sad it being a CD exclusive (I know about the fan port to cartridges, but that's very underground) condems it to obscurity.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Man, Crossed Swords II owns and is such a massive improvement over the first game. I'm almost sad it being a CD exclusive (I know about the fan port to cartridges, but that's very underground) condems it to obscurity.

If you get a NeoSD (super worth it) you can play CS2 and Ironclad on your cartridge system!

Also, I need to look into getting a SCART switch... I'd all but counted out using one as I'm in NTSC land, so have built up quite a collection of component cables, but I also just ordered an OSSC which might change everything.

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, all the parts for my new stick are here. Phew.

Won't put it together this weekend, but holy shit... I think this is going to be the first home arcade stick I've used that I'm actually satisfied with.

Reference: was using the VLX Kuro before. Not really a fan.

Shinriji

I just bought a S-Video cable for about $3 for my NGCD and wow, I'm impressed. Crisp pixels, better colors, way less ghosting. Good thing my old LCD still have a S-Video input.

Also opened up and cleaned the pad, without going into the metal disk part of the microswitches because I was afraid to mess up the white plastic piece, and it is more responsive than before.

Danny Dudekisser

Got my King of Fighters 2000 cart. Not that I can do anything with it, since I still don't have the Omega... but honestly? Feels fuckin' good. Both because I'm glad I bought the game, and because it's kind of nice to have another Neo Geo game I can put next to Metal Slug after buying that MVS cart 8 years ago.

Also built my Neo Geo stick yesterday and hooollly hell is this thing overkill. No regrets.

Top Bottom