• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Ban Puncher

I would get one, but it's not compatible with NGCD, lol

NeoSD has faster load times than the Neo CD.

qkOzfNT.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
NeoSD has faster load times than the Neo CD.

qkOzfNT.gif

That's fucking awesome. That reminds me of the time me and my friends microwaved my other friend's copy of Madden 2001 while he wasn't home. Sparks started shooting all over the place, and it was lit af.

btw, the game did not work afterwards.

IrishNinja

^haha well yeah, but try nuking a different colored disc one day...as a dumb kid, my friends & i found you'd get different colored sparks

Having spent a few days with the NeoSD I am bloody impressed with it.

Loading times vary depending on how big the game is when flashing it for the first time from a couple of seconds to around a minute but once the game is queued up it is basically as if that particular cartridge was inserted in your machine.

Haven't run into any comparability issues. It even plays the weirdo MS and KoF hacks. Your system may wig out when trying to play Irritating Maze or some of those Mahjong games but that's because those were arcade games that require a special controller - no fault of the NeoSD.

Buy one, jerks.

maaaaan please follow up here, if around a minute is the longest wait time i'm impressed & definitely down
promised myself id get my career going before living the AES dream & that's looking like this time or so next year, hopefully there's still some of these around then

Ban Puncher

maaaaan please follow up here, if around a minute is the longest wait time i'm impressed & definitely down
promised myself id get my career going before living the AES dream & that's looking like this time or so next year, hopefully there's still some of these around then

Tell you what, you rattle off a few game titles with different sizes and I'll go time how long it takes each to load (erase old game, flash new game and boot).

Ban Puncher

Sengoku
Nam '75
Windjammers
Baseball Stars
Metal Slug X
SamSho V: The Enemy Strikes Black

Sengoku - 24s
Nam '75 - 27s
Windjammers - 29s
Baseball Stars - 29s
Metal Slug X - 2m 27s
SamSho V: Fixed But Broken - 3m 4s

These times included the erasing of the old game, flashing the new game and loading to the familiar Neo Geo splash logo and jingle.

I wonder if my NGCD Flying Power Disc can beat that Windjammers time 🤔

Fortunately that game only has 1 loading screen if I remember correctly.

IrishNinja

Sengoku - 24s
Nam '75 - 27s
Windjammers - 29s
Baseball Stars - 29s
Metal Slug X - 2m 27s
SamSho V: Fixed But Broken - 3m 4s

These times included the erasing of the old game, flashing the new game and loading to the familiar Neo Geo splash logo and jingle.

that's...really not bad at all, for most of em. so the later/larger releases are the ones that take several minutes, i guess that's to be expected.

shit, now when i'm ballin watch this thing be nowhere to be found

Ban Puncher

that's...really not bad at all, for most of em. so the later/larger releases are the ones that take several minutes, i guess that's to be expected.

shit, now when i'm ballin watch this thing be nowhere to be found

Once the game is flashed you can turn the power off and come back later, power on and it will boot that game straight away as if the original cartridge was in the machine.

Witchcraft!

Danny Dudekisser

Looks like everybody had a good week. Lotta positivity going 'round!

Ban Puncher got his NeoSD and seems to be happy.

Samuray -- I don't even know you, but you got Gunlord and seem to be happy.

Irish, I don't know what's going on with you, but based on what you were saying, I'm guessing you got a new job or something and seem to be happy.

GOOD FOR YOU.

So anyway, there was this girl that I was kinda interested in. She was cute. But the problem is that I found out she was interested in me, which is a huge turnoff because what kind of challenge is that? But we have a mutual friend, and he said that she was worried I was a player (his words, not mine -- I haven't used that word since 1992). And I'm like "HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO BE A PLAYER WHEN I DON'T HAVE MY GOT DAMN OMEGA AFTER 12 WEEKS." I ain't tryna play Metal Slug on the Switch like some fucken cuck.

Long story short, I have a date I'm not particularly interested in, and an Omega that I'm particularly interested in that's cucking the shit out of me right now.

IrishNinja

i mean

you've waited a whole season on this Omega, there's gotta be some kinda update there right?

and for me - not yet, but next year's looking bright!

ToD_

The NeoSD is definitely a good investment. The only issue I have found so far is that for some games (maybe all, not sure) it treats each attract mode loop as if it is the first. So, for example, in Garou and Last Blade 2 you will only ever see the first boot intro. For some other games you may see the exact same gameplay demonstration every single loop.

Thankfully, I saw some discussion on the Neo-Geo forums regarding this and the developer is aware of this issue. Based on the discussions it sounds like it should be an easy fix, so hopefully this will get rectified with a future firmware update.

If not, it's unfortunate but shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone, since its performance and compatibility appears to be perfect in every other way. As long as you're fine with the loading times this thing is really amazing. I've been playing every chance I get.

Edit: Turns out the issue described above can be fixed by setting "MVS Backram Save" to "No" in the options screen. Perfect.

Ban Puncher

Looks like everybody had a good week. Lotta positivity going 'round!

Ban Puncher got his NeoSD and seems to be happy.

Samuray -- I don't even know you, but you got Gunlord and seem to be happy.

Irish, I don't know what's going on with you, but based on what you were saying, I'm guessing you got a new job or something and seem to be happy.

GOOD FOR YOU.

So anyway, there was this girl that I was kinda interested in. She was cute. But the problem is that I found out she was interested in me, which is a huge turnoff because what kind of challenge is that? But we have a mutual friend, and he said that she was worried I was a player (his words, not mine -- I haven't used that word since 1992). And I'm like "HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO BE A PLAYER WHEN I DON'T HAVE MY GOT DAMN OMEGA AFTER 12 WEEKS." I ain't tryna play Metal Slug on the Switch like some fucken cuck.

Long story short, I have a date I'm not particularly interested in, and an Omega that I'm particularly interested in that's cucking the shit out of me right now.

Your Omega came to my house weeks ago
cuck.

one Neo Geo fighter for the rest of your life. Which is it?

this is too easy for me, KoF '98, but I was wondering what y'all would have.

one Neo Geo fighter for the rest of your life. Which is it?

this is too easy for me, KoF '98, but I was wondering what y'all would have.

Last Blade. Not the sequel. I'm crazy (I know) but the atmosphere and NGCD music are sublime and I'll never forget my first time.

heh

Danny Dudekisser

Ahhh that familiar pain of waiting for it's arrival. It'll be worth it brother.

Yeeaaaaaahhhh, I know. The last several pages of me having a breakdown are (mostly) shtick. I mean, 12 weeks is a long-ass time to wait without any idea what's going on, but whatever. We gucci.

And again, I waited like 9 years from when I first seriously wanted to buy a Neo Geo to do this, so at this point... whatever.

Will it ever be possible to play the Metal Slug games in 60FPS via an emulator? Is the 30FPS hard coded into the games? Obviously they were pushing the original hardware to the limit, but I'm curious why this has never been looked into for the numerous ports.

Peltz

Will it ever be possible to play the Metal Slug games in 60FPS via an emulator? Is the 30FPS hard coded into the games? Obviously they were pushing the original hardware to the limit, but I'm curious why this has never been looked into for the numerous ports.

No, it won't ever be possible. You can play them without slowdown in an emulator though.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
ArcadeWorks updated their Facebook page - no more Omegas until they get caught up on current orders. I have word that mine is scheduled to be shipped out Saturday.

Danny Dudekisser

ArcadeWorks updated their Facebook page - no more Omegas until they get caught up on current orders. I have word that mine is scheduled to be shipped out Saturday.

Heh, well that's actually really encouraging. When did you order yours, out of curiosity?

It's been so long since I bought mine (13 weeks) that I've honestly lost interest in the stupid Thursday rants I've been doing for the last month and a half. Might do it anyway later today, because I'm bored.

Danny Dudekisser

May 19th. I think I'm maybe a couple of weeks ahead of you, so shouldn't be long!

Heh, yeah -- June 1st for me. Honestly, it's going to be weird if/when I actually get it. I feel like I really connected with my Neo Geo brothers over this. It was a bonding experience. It was the summer of my discontent, and I shared it with a bunch of unsympathetic twats. You joked about stealing my shit. You mocked me while you got your SD bullshit and I had nothing to fucking show for the literal entire season of wallowing in emptiness. That's fucked up. But I'm gonna have my revenge. I'm gonna raw dog all of you in the end.

Ban Puncher

Heh, yeah -- June 1st for me. Honestly, it's going to be weird if/when I actually get it. I feel like I really connected with my Neo Geo brothers over this. It was a bonding experience. It was the summer of my discontent, and I shared it with a bunch of unsympathetic twats. You joked about stealing my shit. You mocked me while you got your SD bullshit and I had nothing to fucking show for the literal entire season of wallowing in emptiness. That's fucked up. But I'm gonna have my revenge. I'm gonna raw dog all of you in the end.

Your Omega will get lost in the post.

Or it actually arrives but it doesn't work.

36vFHzG.gif

Top Bottom