• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey nerds, will my XB1 copy of NHL 22 looks like the Series X version on my Series X?

Which one is for the Series S though? I'm pretty sure Series X version but it's not entirely obvious or I'm just too stoned.
This is bait, but sure.
Everything that works on series x works on series s, now if you are specifically talking about which retail/disc version, then neither, because the series s doesn't have a disc drive.

Bridges

The confusion is not your fault, pretty much every cross gen game on Series X uses Smart Delivery and gives you the version associated with the console you're playing on. The annoying exceptions to this are Control Ultimate Edition, Call of Duty and all the 2K/EA Sports Games (probably a few others I'm forgetting too, but those are the notable ones).

teezzy

Banned
The confusion is not your fault, pretty much every cross gen game on Series X uses Smart Delivery and gives you the version associated with the console you're playing on. The annoying exceptions to this are Control Ultimate Edition, Call of Duty and all the 2K/EA Sports Games (probably a few others I'm forgetting too, but those are the notable ones).

Yeah I wouldn't even really mind if I literally didn't find the console a day later 🙃

Oh well, I've lost more money on dumber things before.

Wait what? I signed up before I made this thread 😭
Yeah that's why I rushed to say something :( I always try to tell new Xbox owners ASAP.

I'm not sure if there's a way to do it again. GP is still well worth it, but yeah that initial one time thing is a crazy deal.

teezzy

Banned
Yeah that's why I rushed to say something :( I always try to tell new Xbox owners ASAP.

I'm not sure if there's a way to do it again. GP is still well worth it, but yeah that initial one time thing is a crazy deal.

I don't think I had gold in the first place

Oh well

Thanks for looking out Mr Miku, much appreciated

I don't think I had gold in the first place

Oh well

Thanks for looking out Mr Miku, much appreciated
If you signed up for $1 or something for a month then I think you used it up. But I'm not 100% sure.

GP is ridiculous either way. I think they said last year was worth several thousand at MSRP so it's fine lol.

You can still do it when your current runs out, it will just cost you 15 instead of 1.
Ahh, cool.

Yeah, that saves you $180 x2. So a large chunk of the cost of the console returned in savings over 3 years.

Last edited:

sendit

Well, yeah it doesn't because the series S doesn't have a disc drive.
Thanks.

grave digging GIF by South Park

JayDucker

This is bait, but sure.
Everything that works on series x works on series s, now if you are specifically talking about which retail/disc version, then neither, because the series s doesn't have a disc drive.

I actually meant to quote the guy above you because the two copies in the picture confused me to the point I forgot the Series S was digital only. I was stoned, shit happens!

Can I borrow that spade after you my good fellow?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I think it's misleading that they put Xbox Series X on it when you only get the Xbox One version.

Very misleading.

This should be more specific and state it's the Xbox One version of the game.
This is EA we’re talking about here…

sainraja

Pluck a turd out of my butthole and eat it. I opened and installed the Xbox One version yesterday, not thinking I'd magically find a Series X on store shelves today.

For the average consumer who doesn't haunt goblin dens like GAF, this isn't the most straight forward thing. Do they really need to even advertise Series X compatibility on Xbox One pacakaging?

Hell, even the store employees put Series X cases for the game in both the Xbox Series X and Xbox One sections of the display:

20220101_160259.jpg

20220101_160247.jpg
Sorry you've had to face the sensitive Xbox fan(boy)s here. They get defensive easily and some can't read either. It's in the first post you mention that you got the game for your Xbox One and later came across the Series X which you ended up purchasing. You asked a simple enough question and instead you were greeted with insecure fans right from the first post. lol.

As others have said, some publishers require an upgrade while others have opted-in smart delivery so you don't need to worry about what version of the game you bought — the system handles that. Since you already got the game for your Xbox One and this one requires an upgrade, you will have to pay the extra money for the Series X version. I do agree with someone else here who said they shouldn't really bother putting the Series X|S symbol on the covers of Xbox One games or make it a wordy label that is a bit more specific (this is if the requirement for the label is from MS — otherwise, well, the publisher should know better since they are also charging money for the upgrade.)

Last edited:
I don't even have a 4k television

😬

I don't think I need a fancy one, ive held onto 1080p this long. Maybe I'll just buy an entry level Samsung or something when I return these light bulbs (bought the wrong size)
If you can't figure out bulb size you should probably not upgrade TV :p

Corndog

Banned
I'm sure there are plenty of "blind" people out there buying gifts. Someone asks for the Xbox Series X version of a game, they pick up that box and see "Xbox Series X" listed right near the top and think, "okay, this must be it".

Are there examples of PS4 games labeled as PS5, yet only include the PS4 version?
Uh oh. Stealth consoles war incoming.

Too late, I bought a 55" Samsung AU8000
Just to let you know, because the TV doesn't have local dimming, it cannot do HDR. Also that TV doesn't have HDMI 2.1

I know earlier in this thread you said you weren't a nerd about these things so I figured I'd let you know. An upgrade to PS5/Series X down the line means your TV won't take full advantage.

teezzy

Banned
Just to let you know, because the TV doesn't have local dimming, it cannot do HDR. Also that TV doesn't have HDMI 2.1

I know earlier in this thread you said you weren't a nerd about these things so I figured I'd let you know. An upgrade to PS5/Series X down the line means your TV won't take full advantage.

I already have a Series X... oh well

nordique

Literally just bought the Xbox One version of NHL 22 yesterday, opened and installed it

I see it's compatible with both consoles obviously

6474692_sd.jpg

Went to Target to buy some light bulbs today and didn't expect to see a Series X in the wild

Bought it immediately

Installing the game now

It will run as if I purchased the Series X version or just an XB1 game on my Series X?

😊 thanks

It’s just the Xbox one version

Not the series X version

just looking at the packaging you'd think the one with xbox one + xbox Series X is actually better than the one with just Xbox Series X on it.
I wouldn't, it says xbox one on top, there's no reason for me to think an xbox series x game would say that.

recursive

It's not, because it works on series x, the series x/s only games only say "xbox" on top and don't have xbox one listed, because they don't work on xbox one.
The on OP bought says "xbox one" on top, so it's the xb1 version, but it also works on series x, so it's listed additionally.

series x/s covers:
nhl-22-nordic.jpg

xbox one covers:
XLoMAZR.jpg
Fucking please bruv. That is some lame shit there.

Kagey K

Banned
Sure, if you're lame enough to willfully ignore this:
yvkMy58.jpg

An xbox one game in a box that says xbox one? whodathunk 🤔
To be fair when most your games say Xbox one but get series X upgrades for free, you come to expect that they all work like that.

It's the fucked ass greedy publishers that need to get get fucked and put in giant letters Series X version not included on their box.

It shouldn't be up to sales associates or other minimum wage employees to inform the customer.

Consumer

That's actually hilarious; I don't really follow Xbox stuff at all and just assumed they handle dual entitlement better than PS, but it seems to be the exact same or worse.

That's really fucking evil to tack on the "Series X" label when you don't even get that version of the game, as if BC needs to be advertised...

It's the fucked ass greedy publishers that need to get get fucked and put in giant letters Series X version not included on their box.
I dunno, it personally seems redundant to add another "warning".
Because even if you ignore the xbox one box, and put your laser focus on the supported platforms, the back of the box does says "xbox one game playable on xbox series x"

Susurrus

This is sketchy as shit. If you put Xbox One ・Xbox Series X on the cover, it is not unreasonable to think that means you're getting both versions. Like, this would be great for someone who has an Xbox One but fully plans on upgrading to a Series X as soon as they can find/afford a console, it would not be unreasonable. Maybe in this case, the Xbox One version would be on the disc, and the Series X version would download but still work with the disc. While I don't give a shit about EA sports games, I am inevitably going to get a Series X since I am a multiplatform owner (currently have Xbox One) and genuinely thought that's how it works. Now that I stumbled across this thread, I don't know what the fuck to do when I see Xbox games. I legitimately assumed if it listed both, it allowed you to play both versions. Literally nobody is going to be like "well I wonder if this Xbox One game works on my Series X" so putting that shit on there just because it is BC is shady business practice.

I really like what Sony did. If it is just a PS4 version with no free upgrade, it won't mention the PS5 at all. If the game supports a free upgrade, it says it on the cover. Let's look at Guardians of the Galaxy as an example but it obviously isn't the only one. On the PS4 version, it says PS5 Upgrade Available. This clearly means you get the PS5 version. The PS5 version for comparison. The PS4 version has the PS4 version on disc, and lets you download the PS5 version if inserted into a PS5. The PS5 version of course has the PS5 version on the disc. Technically the PS4 version is a better deal since you get both the PS4 version and rights to download PS5 version from the same disc. I guess the only benefit of the PS5 version is that you don't have to download the game since it installs off disc. Both are the same price. People that own a PS5 might just go to the PS5 version since they probably won't give a fuck about the PS4 version, even moreso if they have a shitty internet connection and would rather install directly. But someone that has a PS4 will buy the PS4 version feeling comfortable that they can both play it now, and when they can upgrade to a PS5, they can upgrade the game, too. There is nothing misleading about this case.

S3xVdn8.jpg
OK7Aq8M.jpg

DaGwaphics

You’ll need both copies anyway, one version to play with your XB1 friends and one to play with your series friends, as EA was stupid enough to split the playerbase as well, instead of making them compatible with each other.

Did they really do that?

jigglet

Banned
Damn son, if you can't even buy the correct lightbulbs how are you going to buy the correct TV?

Do some research before buying any TV even an entry level.

I’d like to think he bought the wrong console too. One day he proudly posts a picture of his “Series S” only to find out he’s been playing a Wii U the last few years.

Three

Ok so how do I know if I buy a game that has both the XBox One and Series X versions included? Because that box also says Series X on the box.
It's confusing but games that offer both versions I think have a 'Series Enhanced' or somthing on them.

Pretty much every major publisher doesn't do dual entitlement with their tentpole games though. EA has separate versions for Battlefield and all their sports games (Fifa, Madden, NHL) , Activision has separate versions of Call of Duty, Take 2 has separate versions of their sports games (NBA) and soon GTA5. Ubisoft are usually good with it.

Ok so how do I know if I buy a game that has both the XBox One and Series X versions included? Because that box also says Series X on the box.
xbox one box = xbox one game (nhl, fifa, cod etc.)
xbox one box + smart delivery logo = free upgrade included (avengers, cyberpunk etc.)
xbox box = series x game (Flight sim)
xbox box + smart delivery logo = cross gen release (FH5, Halo infinite)

Some of the games with upgrades also got rereleases, like Gears 5 used to be in an xbox one box, it's in an xbox box now.

I was lucky enough to pick up an Xbox Series X bundle with FIFA 22 and an Elite v2 controller before Christmas from GAME as an upgrade to my Xbox One X. I'd already transferred all the games over from the previous console to a 4 TB external hard drive and so thought that it would be a seamless transition over to the new console once I plugged in the hard drive and then moved games with X/S enhancements over to the internal storage and the 1 TB external card that I also bought.

Not so.

Admittedly, the Xbox Series X does a better job than the PS5 which at launch was a confusing mess of PS4 and PS5 titles attached to the same icon (now much improved with clear PS5 and PS4 icons for each game) but I ended up with multiple copies of games on different drives as the console updated the new version on the internal storage but, for some reason, decided to leave the old Xbox One X version on the external hard drive (and, yes, I definitely chose MOVE and not copy!). Still, moving games between drives could be done in the background (albeit it does slow the console's user interface and Home/Guide menu down somewhat while doing so) unlike on the PS5 so that was a blessing!

Not only that but the Microsoft Store is confusing and not clear on what version of the game you are getting on Game Pass (which I subscribed to for £1). For example, I downloaded Wreckfest thinking it was the same enhanced version I had for my PS5 (albeit with screen tearing on the Sony version which is why I decided to try on Xbox SX). I played the game from the internal drive thinking it was the updated version as it appeared to be running at 60 fps but it turned out it wasn't the Series X version at all as I saw a prompt to press Y to buy the updated version while navigating through my games library some days later. It was only £8.39 so I thought why not? It was listed as being 21 GB so I thought in light of the duplicate games fiasco that I'd encountered previously that I'd uninstall the original game first (also 21 GB) so I'd only have the new enhanced version. So I bought it and the download completed but it was not listed in my owned games and would not run from the icon in the download queue history. Puzzling... Turned out that this game needs the original to be installed as well to play the enhanced version so the game's file size literally doubles but nowhere was it made clear that this was the case. Thankfully I have very fast internet so downloading the base game again only took a few minutes. I also assume that I do not own this game because I bought the upgrade to the game downloaded from GamePass. Again, why was this not made clear when I purchased it? Why would anyone want to buy an upgrade for a game that they only rent? Had I known then I would not have bought it at all.

And over the weekend, I decided to buy DiRT Rally 2.0 on the Microsoft Store as it was only £11 for the game and all the DLC. I proceeded to buy the game and the purchase stalled and returned an error. I then tried to buy the game again but got an error that I already owned the game. However, the game did not show in my games library on the console. Baffled, I thought maybe I had purchased this or got it free from my Xbox One X days and so opted to buy the DLC content for £9.99. The Store allowed me to do this but it turned out that I had actually bought the game and DLC as part of the £11 purchase and the game then miraculously showed in my library but only after buying this DLC. I have essentially bought the same content twice! Why did the Store let me buy DLC that I already owned as part of the original purchase? That would never happen on Steam which clearly tells you when you are about to buy content you already own and refuses to buy the content if it is already in your library.

Got to say that I am not impressed by the Store at all. It isn't as bad as the one on the PC (dear lord, nothing can ever be *that* bad!) but it is still messy and not clearly set out as to what it is exactly that you are buying, at least in my experience so far.

I was also surprised after hearing about the Smart Delivery system to discover than certain games, such as those from EA, offer both an Xbox S/X enhanced version of the game and a version that is supported on the Xbox S/X. Again, this is not very clearly stated so I am not surprised that people such as the poster of this thread are confused about it. On the PS5, the enhanced games are separated from the PS4 games in their own tab so you can very clearly see which games is the enhanced version. Also, unlike on Xbox, the physical games themselves come in different coloured cases (blue for PS4 and white for PS5) with clear labels to distinguish them. The Xbox cases barely look different and in my opinion Microsoft need to reconsider their design perhaps making the X/S version black instead of green and with Xbox S/X branding rather than Xbox.

Top Bottom