• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
a female Kamiya

Hideki-Kamiya_BIOboxart_160w.jpg

So guys, the game is out.

Was Kamiya right or wrong? I haven't played the game lols so I can't comment.

Well it looks like smash but doesn't play like smash. So hell if I know. I don't concider it near anything that I would call a ripoff but then again that word seems to have different meaning for different people like this thread shows.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It is a rip off, which isn't so bad. Its fatal flaw is that it isn't better than what it is ripping off.

DCDW

Definitely a rip-off with the only caveat being how the lives system is handled between the two games. Played some online and had some good fun with the quick match, which would randomly pit you in a ffa, team battle, or score battle ffa (most kills wins). A rip-off yes, but I had fun with it and anyone who likes SSB, and has a PS3 should give it a try.

Takao

Banned

I wish this game was more of a ripoff of Smash and indulged in the fanservice rather than giving something that should be special the cold shoulder.

Rubius

It is a rip off.

Anyone who says otherwise is seriously a fanboy.

Granted that doesn't mean it can't be a fun rip off.

I would not call it a "rip off" simply because the main gameplay mechanic is not the same. Smash focus on platforming and ring out, where PS all star focus on smash execution timing.
Its heavily inspired by Smash, but not to the point of calling it a rip off. It brought new ideas to the table with the Smash system and the Invasion levels.
Where a true rip off like Battle Stadium DON do not bring anything new.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would not call it a "rip off" simply because the main gameplay mechanic is not the same. Smash focus on platforming and ring out, where PS all star focus on smash execution timing.
Its heavily inspired by Smash, but not to the point of calling it a rip off. It brought new ideas to the table with the Smash system and the Invasion levels.

Hilariously enough there's a part of me that wish it was a ripoff.

one_kill

It's as much of a rip off as Sonic All Stars Racing is a rip off of Mario Kart. I'm not saying that those games are bad, I'm just saying that they were primarily designed as clones to Smash and Mario Kart respectively.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's as much of a rip off as Sonic All Stars Racing is a rip off of Mario Kart. I'm not saying that those games are bad, I'm just saying that they were primarily designed as clones to Smash and Mario Kart respectively.

Its in the same genre then. That's like saying king of fighters is a ripoff of street fighter despite the mechanics being different.

Zen

Banned

It's only a rip off superficially, the combat and mechanics in the game itself feel very different.
It's also damn good, though not as good as Smash, but a Sequel or two will probably bring both franchises up to parity.

jrDev

Definitely a rip-off with the only caveat being how the lives system is handled between the two games. Played some online and had some good fun with the quick match, which would randomly pit you in a ffa, team battle, or score battle ffa (most kills wins). A rip-off yes, but I had fun with it and anyone who likes SSB, and has a PS3 should give it a try.
Yup! Will try at <$10!

Satchel

Banned

Except anyone who has played Sonic Racing knows it plays and feels literally NOTHING like Mario Kart. It actually plays better.

PS All Stars clones Smash Bros. and does a horrible job of it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Smash Bros isn't a great fighting game to begin with, but at least in Smash, I'm aware of where my character is and what he/she is going. I know if I'm close to dying or winning. I'm basically aware of everything going on.

That's all out the window in PS All Stars.

In the beta, I just had no clue what the fuck was going on, playing as Kratos and somehow ended up second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom