• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

Roufianos

i love the saga with all my heart, like all of you, but this game has disappointed me too much.(mean the plot). That's all.

Every MGS fan I know feels the same. This Is the 5th entry in the series so we're entitled to have expectations for the game, especially when the trailers pander to those expectations.

I've honestly never been so disappointed with anything in my life.

Lernaean

Banned
Every MGS fan I know feels the same. This Is the 5th entry in the series so we're entitled to have expectations for the game, especially when the trailers pander to those expectations.

3 points.

1st, not every fan feels like that, trust me.
2nd, you ain't entitled for anything. Entitled? Wtf is this shit?
3rd, if you have never been so disappointed in your life, i want to have your problems.

Alo0oy

Banned
I am serious. Sony has been cutting corners wherever it can over the last few years, and scaling back on the studios it already owns rather than opening up new ones, and that's exactly what Kojima will want. Their half-hearted participation in Shenmue III tells me they won't be willing to splash out on another high-profile Japanese developer who doesn't still have his high-profile IP.

He may decide to go with a Japanese company over an American one, but it feels to me that the money will count for a lot, and Microsoft is simply in a better position to gamble on giving him more.

Both Guerrilla and Naughty Dog nearly doubled in size since the launch of the PS4, what are you talking about?

Sony also has A LOT of in-house engines & own mo-cap studios, thus significantly reducing the development budget, he can use Guerrilla's engine if he wants to make an open world game or Naughty Dog/Santa Monica's engines if he wants to make cinematic games like MGS1-4. Complete with already owned mo-cap studios & technical support from Japan Studio or Santa Monica Studio. Not to mention huge potential for product placement in their Sony Pictures division.

Not saying I want Kojima to specifically join Sony, I'll buy his game wherever he goes, just correcting you.

Ban Puncher

655dtOO.gif

Nah m8, I was happy with the game.

Expected the story to be a mess because let's face it, it has ALWAYS been a mess. He's not the greatest writer/director.

My problem started after the Insurance and Offline tax patch.

I went in with low expectations as I've disliked every atoryline since 4 and I didn't like PW. So going in with my mindset left me with a good impression of MGSV. But above all, it's given me an intense need to play the original 3 games. Hell in a strange way even 4 feels like more of a traditional MGS game in comparison (and I used to really dislike 4!).

Emedan

3 points.

3rd, if you have never been so disappointed in your life, i want to have your problems.

He said every fan he knew. Also he's absolutely right that we have come to expect certain things from a series of 30 years, being disappointed when the last game deviate as far as it did is not unreasonable.

Really, MGS5 sucked.

Alienous

Styrofoam cups and a distinct absence of food and/or cake makes this a fitting farewell from Konami to the man that made them billions and gave 30 years of his life to.

May he continue to wow us soon.

It does have the distinct look of an "everyone gets one cup of pop" school party, lol.

BadWolf

Been a huge MGS fan since day one and the series couldn't have ended on a better note to me, MGSV is a masterpiece.

According to one of the MGSV interviews, Kojima said that he is a game maker first and foremost.

He also said that he wants to work on something new and fresh (try new ideas like they do in indie games or an idea that is completely different and hasn't really been done before) but with a good budget.

So for his next project I'm expecting something new/fresh on a good budget, with no chance of a cheap indie or mobile game. The man knows what he is good at and what his fans expect.

Axbarn

Banned
I can totally see him going to Nintendo, I think he's a better fit for Sony though.

I can't see him joining a western studio.

With NX coming up, and allegedly being "high-end", I don't think ppl would mind him going to Nintendo. If Wii U was still going strong, I'd have been a little bit sour, considering Kojima's last two outings, P.T. and MGSV were really, really pretty and next-gen-looking.

He said every fan he knew. Also he's absolutely right that we have come to expect certain things from a series of 30 years, being disappointed when the last game deviate as far as it did is not unreasonable.

Really, MGS5 sucked.

Yep, the game sucked. One of the biggest letdowns in gaming history and 2015.

Nestunt

The fact that Konami is denying all this makes me think that there will be still a lot of legal battles in this story

bojie1986

Nah m8, I was happy with the game.

Expected the story to be a mess because let's face it, it has ALWAYS been a mess. He's not the greatest writer/director.

My problem started after the Insurance and Offline tax patch.

lol and i thought i was the only one. MGSV is a masterpiece, my game of all time.

Roni

Gold Member
Legal battles over what exactly?

Subject matter isn't the issue here if the rumors turn out to be true.

Inappropriate work environments, sabotaging of the project, employee coercion...

Don't know how working laws function in Japan, but in my country there would be grounds for legal action.

NateDog

I think most people were realistically more disappointed with MGS4. MGSV in the end was the third attempt at the "final chapter" for Big Boss. Portable Ops was supposed to be it and wasn't, Peace Walker was supposed to be it and was dreadful, and Ground Zeroes ended up being sold separately but that's not as big as the previous ones. Story was always going to be filler and probably create plotholes in MGSV since they're dragging out a past narrative of a saga which has already been altered.

Roufianos

3 points.

1. I said every fan I knew. There's nothing worse then when people deliberately misinterpret your words just because they're looking for an argument.
2. Yes we are entitled to have expectations for what a Metal Gear game should be. If the trailers are promoting the story in a certain way then we should expect the game to reflect that.
3. Thank you. My life thus far has been fairly problem free.

BadWolf

Subject matter isn't the issue here if the rumors turn out to be true.

Inappropriate work environments, sabotaging of the project, employee coercion...

Don't know how working laws function in Japan, but in my country there would be grounds for legal action.

Those aren't unusual for Japan, work environments there tend to be pretty fucked up.

2. Yes we are entitled to have expectations for what a Metal Gear game should be. If the trailers are promoting the story in a certain way then we should expect the game to reflect that.

Someone wasn't around for MGS2.

Lernaean

Banned
1. I said every fan I knew. There's nothing worse then when people deliberately misinterpret your words just because they're looking for an argument.

1. Learn that there are other fans that you don't know and who are less emo then.
2. You ain't entitled of anything, unless you have about 67 millions in Konami stocks.
3. I noticed that yeah, good lad.

Legal battles over what exactly?

Adultery.
:smugface:

eerik9000

I don't get it. How does suggesting Kojima to work with Sony automatically make someone a fanboy? A big Japanese publisher with lots of western studios and partners, infrastructure, and appeal. Sounds reasonable to me.

I would say the same about Microsoft, but their presence in Japan is close to none.

Shredderi

Good luck to Kojima wherever he goes. It's a shame that his last game at Konami and the last proper MGS game was a huge disappointment to me. I guess the sandbox nature of the game really took it's toll on some of the game designs that I've come to expect of the series.

All these years Kojima was making mgs games with David Hater and no problems. Now he replaced him with Kiefer and the next thing you know Kojima's out the door. I'm just saying. But on a more serious note, it was one hell of a ride Kojima and his high budget games will be missed. Sony pls...

R-User!

Well, he crawled through his own microwave, and came out alive.

Glad he's free, but dissatisfied with how he left. Kind of like when a great player leaves your the team your rooting for; except in this case he's the team and the player, so it's kind of like being an Oilers fan back in the day watching your team go Tennessee.

Despite him leaving, I hope he continues his great output!

As a little tribute to him and to show the lasting impact of his games influence on me:

"The Kojima Productions Studio facility in Konami's Main Headquarters was attacked and captured by Next Generation Special Assholes, being led by members of Pachinko-Hound."

"They're demanding that Kojima pump out MGS games every 24 months for mobile and pachinko and they say that if their demands are not met before MGS5 releases they'll laugh Kojima right out the door."

Silver linings something something.

i'm sorry but this is a silly, silly argument. dislike the story all you want. but disliking it because it subverted your expectations is a really poor criticism. especially when it's kojima we are dealing with. it's hilarious to me that people thought he was going to make a game rehashing all the backstory discussed in previous games. it's kojima man, not some fanfic

The fact that Konami is denying all this makes me think that there will be still a lot of legal battles in this story

The fact his non compete clause is only a few months long makes me think otherwise and they dont want to drag things out longer then they need to be.

The only other example I can think of a high profile falling out like this was Patrice Désilets who after his most recent fallout with Ubisoft had a non compete clause for a year + a legal battle I think might still be going for IP rights but I am sure things a little different between Canada and Japan.

Ratrat

i'm sorry but this is a silly, silly argument. dislike the story all you want. but disliking it because it subverted your expectations is a really poor criticism. especially when it's kojima we are dealing with. it's hilarious to me that people thought he was going to make a game rehashing all the backstory discussed in previous games. it's kojima man, not some fanfic
Really, I dont personally like the twist, but of all people MGS fans have given him license to mislead them with promotional material. It happened way back with MGS2 and was there the moment Phantom Pain was revealed with a fake trailer and studio name.
And hell, in retrospect a lot of what the story turned out to be was heavily hinted at in the trailers even.

Roufianos

1. Learn that there are other fans that you don't know and who are less emo then.
2. You ain't entitled of anything, unless you have about 67 millions in Konami stocks.
3. I noticed that yeah, good lad.

1. But when did I say that every MGS fan was disappointed? You're arrogantly telling me to learn something that is completely irrelevant to what I said. I made a statement about my real life friends, I did not for one moment attempt to categorise an entire fanbase. Is it really that difficult for you to distinguish?

Being disappointed with a product makes you an emo? Well I guess every person in the world has been an emo at some point. It's hilarious how you accuse me of wild accusations and then ignorantly proceed to do the same.

2. I genuinely do believe that people are entitled to have their own expectations from life. If I buy a vacumn then I expect it to work. If I take a girl on a date then I think she should expect me to pay. If I play an MGS game then I expect an entertaining story line.

I don't begrudge anyone for having expectations based on their previous life experiences and I think it's impossible to go through life without them. I don't see how anyone could get through life with minimum standards.

It's all so subjective, do I believe MGSV is a bad game? Absolutely not. Yet it is a disappointing game for me personally based on my expectations.

3. I'll say it once more, thanks.

BadWolf

1. Learn that there are other fans that you don't know and Adultery.
:smugface:

Luckily he isn't that Hollywood :p

This, it's like they don't know him at all.

Heck, this MGSV trailer everyone loved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nUMw7japI

One of the first lines of the song is
You seem kind of phoney. Everything's a lie
. The purpose of the trailers was to mislead, just like the first reveal of The Phantom Pain. This is the kind of stuff I expect from Kojima.

Floody

MGS is my favourite series ever, so I guess I can be considered a fan, and yes parts of MGS 5 really disappointed me (story, boss fight and characters), but the gameplay more than made up for it, no other MGS can come close to it, when it comes to that.
Overall I'm very mixed when it comes to MGS5, it's both amazing and massively disappointing, but I think it's more good than bad.

True, the story we got was worse than most fanfics.

Lernaean

Banned
Being disappointed with a product makes you an emo? Well I guess every person in the world has been an emo at some point.

I genuinely do believe that people are entitled to have their own expectations from life. If I buy a vacumn then I expect it to work. If I take a girl on a date then I think she should expect me to pay. If I play an MGS game then I expect an entertaining story line.

I don't begrudge anyone for having expectations based on their previous life experiences and I think it's impossible to go through life without them.

Dude.
You are weird.

Luckily he isn't that Hollywood :p

Snort XD

Roufianos

Dude.
You are weird.

Snort XD

As soon as somebody insults you it's a sign they've lost the debate. I'll take that as a victory.

I guess everyone on here who was disappointed with WatchDogs and Destiny are also weird.

Personally I thought the way you were speaking to the previous guy you were debating with was outrageous. You were belittling him over his personal beliefs. That's the only reason I even posted in this thread.

Personally I think you're weird, and clearly frustrated about something. You seem to have a lot of negative energy and arrogance and I'm glad my interaction with you is limited to this forum.

Lernaean

Banned
As soon as somebody insults you it's a sign they've lost the debate. I'll take that as a victory.

I guess everyone on here who was disappointed with WatchDogs and Destiny are also weird.

Personally I thought the way you were speaking to the previous guy you were debating with was outrageous. You were belittling him over his personal beliefs. That's the only reason I even posted in this thread.

Personally I think you're weird, and clearly frustrated about something. You seem to have a lot of negative energy and arrogance and I'm glad my interaction with you is limited to this forum.

Yeah, you won the gaf award of longest post without a point.
I keep my negative energy in place through yoga. It also helps me to avoid crying when a game doesn't end up like the fanfiction i had in mind.

Top Bottom