• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

Floody

So I know they probably couldn't afford him, but what if he went to Platinum, I believe he's friends with people over there, and visits them from time to time, how would people feel about that?

What are people expecting his next game to be? What genre?

Do you believe that, no matter the game, his name next to the titel will guarantee an automatic hit (Metal Gear level)?

That's a little unrealistic I'd say.

I think he'll try horror again, I'm sure he had plenty of ideas for Silent Hills, that just got shut down after it got cancelled, it's also usually a genre what a lot of smaller studios do for some reason. It'll probably be good if P.T was anything to go by.

RexNovis

Banned
Precisely. Tango Gameworks is fully owned by Zenimax but is based in Tokyo.

Kojima won't want to move, and he won't have to.

I don't understand why you would cite this as proof positive when the details of the development for Evil WIthin make it pretty clear that working with Bethesda/Zenimax would mean navigating all the red tape and bureaucratic bullshit Kojima will want to leave behind.

BOOOM

Neo Member
Precisely. Tango Gameworks is fully owned by Zenimax but is based in Tokyo.

Kojima won't want to move, and he won't have to.

Despite how Kojima wouldn't need to move from Japan. Based on what we got from The Evil Within, he wouldn't have the creative freedom he and everyone in this thread wants him to have.

Bethesda would make Kojima make MGS again much like how they made Mikami make RE4 again.
I see. Thanks for that. Seems like that's Japan publisher all in all. I guess Sony is the best choice there is in Japan.

Considering how he works in Japan is by contract in konami.
I would hope he wouldn't work by contract. It should be better without any exclusive contract involvement. His involvement in games in any publisher would be interesting to see.

Sayad

How much funding companies are willing to give Kojima depends on what he want to make. He's not getting $80m for a survivor horror, mech or some experimental game. If he decide to make Getal Mear though, or a similar 3rd person action game that fits within what could sell AAA numbers, $80m isn't that big a deal for a lot of publishers.

Neff

I don't understand why you would cite this as proof positive when the details of the development for Evil WIthin make it pretty clear that working with Bethesda/Zenimax would mean navigating all the red tape and bureaucratic bullshit Kojima will want to leave behind.

It's merely an example.

Bethesda would make Kojima make MGS again much like how they made Mikami make RE4 again.

I highly doubt he'd work under Bethesda/Zenimax unless they were willing to give him better conditions and greater freedom than they gave Mikami.

Cyborg

Screen-Shot-2015-10-01-at-6.30.43-PM-970x545.png

BELIEVE!!!

Back in the days they asked Kojima why he created Metal Gear exlusievly for Playstation? He told him because MGS evolved since MGS1 like he and his company did and Playstation made this possible. (or something like that)

I think Kojima will work for Playstation, hope it ends well! :)

How much funding companies are willing to give Kojima depends on what he want to make. He's not getting $80m for a survivor horror, mech or some experimental game. If he decide to make Getal Mear though, or a similar 3rd person action game that fits within what could sell AAA numbers, $80m isn't that big a deal for a lot of publishers.
I assume parts of those 80 million is for developing completely new fox engine. Mgs v is also open world game which usually have huge budget to begin with. I think a more linear game from Kojima with unreal engine isn't going to cost 80million dollars.

I assume parts of those 80 million is for developing completely new fox engine. Mgs v is also open world game which usually have huge budget to begin with. I think a more linear game from Kojima with unreal engine isn't going to cost 80million dollars.

It would also be alot cheaper to be on fewer platforms.

^Given the personality of Hideo Kojima he is better of in unrated content environment is what i'm trying to say. And CD Projekt RED is one of those one of a kind Publisher that involves nudity which I'm sure in Hideo Kojima personality wouldn't mind nudity if the Publisher allows it.

CD Project RED isn't really a publisher. They are an independent developer that has self-funded games, but they partner with companies like WB to distribute their games outside Europe. I have a feeling most of their assets are vested in their own development process making them a poor prospect to fund a new studio for Kojima.

Lernaean

Banned

Agreed, good post.

developing a modern engine + game is hard, he did an ok job

OK job ? Despite what concerns people have about mgs v, the engine is tits. Looks great, plays butter smooth and works great on all platforms including pc's. It's such a shame that it will end up in the dustbin

Ratrat

Why didnt Konami just force him to make MGS V-2(2016) and MGS V: Snake Returns(2017) if they were not able to recoup the cost with a $40 demo and microtransactions in Phantom Pain? Because they now lost some goodwill with the fanbase ontop losing its creator.

I'm totally serious.

They are kidding themselves if they think the franchise will survive now.

Golnei

wow, so kojima has no intention to fix mgsv?

Not only that, he deliberately sat on Episode 51 and Chapters 3-6 for two years while he and his team did nothing; then cut them out of the game with no reason but petty spite. I'm not supporting any of his future work, the man is a hack.

Why didnt Konami just force him to make MGS V-2(2016) and MGS V: Snake Returns(2017) if they were not able to recoup the cost with a $40 demo and microtransactions in Phantom Pain? Because they now lost some goodwill with the fanbase ontop losing its creator.

I'm totally serious.

They are kidding themselves if they think the franchise will survive now.

You're kidding yourself if you think they're actually planning on continuing AAA developments.

Chinner

Banned
Not only that, he deliberately sat on Episode 51 and Chapters 3-6 for two years while he and his team did nothing; then cut them out of the game with no reason but petty spite. I'm not supporting any of his future work, the man is a hack.

if i was senior management at konami, i would have done the exact same thing. no doubt konami got pissed that they saw kojima wasting money on meals and podcasts, while mgsv was being mismanagaed.

Foffy

Banned

Huh?

Aselith

What is a non-compete?

It's a contractual agreement whereby you can't work in the same industry during the length of the contract. So for example, Kojima could work in movies or whatever during the contract but would not be able to work on games because it's in the same industry.

GHound

Gold Member

I'd like to see a valid and verified source for these claims.

It's a contractual agreement whereby you can't work in the same industry during the length of the contract. So for example, Kojima could work in movies or whatever during the contract but would not be able to work on games because it's in the same industry.
Can he make something but say nothing about it until the non compete ended, then announce whatever he's been working on?

eso76

can he be interviewed now ?
i don't understand why no journalist have approached him and Del Toro asking the right questions

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What is a non-compete?

Its a clause that forbids Kojima to work in company that competes with Konami directly. In other words, he can't work in any game studio (Capcom, SE, Koei etc) right after he leaves Konami until the clause expire.

Its a very standard clause for many jobs.

Can he make something but say nothing about it until the non compete ended, then announce whatever he's been working on?

i believe Konami will have the right to get the authority to investigate if they suspect this happens.

Its a clause that forbids Kojima to work in company that competes with Konami directly. In other words, he can't work in any game studio (Capcom, SE, Koei etc) right after he leaves Konami until the clause expire.

Its a very standard clause for many jobs.

It's until December, right?

So right now they say he's on 'vacation' when in fact it's just a freeze on him from doing anything.

And lol at the tinfoil conspiracy that Kojima sat on chapter 3 for years and didn't finish it on purpose.

Top Bottom