• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary to sidestep democratic process by claiming phantom delagates

Status
Not open for further replies.

X26

Banned
The Democratic Party needs to realize there is no way Hillary can win in the general election and shift all superdelegate votes to Obama and hope she drops out as a result

NO ONE IS GOING TO VOTE FOR THIS THING!

Flo_Evans said:
I dunno, the 21 year old super delegate (yeah) that has been on the news recently said bill clinton has been calling him and he went to lunch with chelsea. I don't think they can outright buy any of them off, but promise positions and favors for later? sure.

IMHO any super-delegate that has pledged support at this point on the promise of favors or position should be 1st against the wall when the revolution comes.

Who is this 21 year old superdelegate?

What the fuck.....

Liara T'Soni said:
Who is this 21 year old superdelegate?

What the fuck.....

53lp5k.jpg

Jason Rae from Wisconsin - a student at Marquette.

According to Wiki:
"He recounted meeting with Michelle Obama, having breakfast with Chelsea Clinton, and receiving calls from Bill Clinton, John Kerry, Madeline Albright, and others, but declines to say whom he supports for the Democratic presidential nomination"

Forgotten Ancient said:
Not me.

It doesn't matter if she does or doesn't get her way. The fact that she's trying to pull this shit is enough for me to either vote for someone else or vote for noone at all. Unless Obama makes it through, I'm pretty much done with politics for awhile.

In general, I'm sorta just saying I'll vote for her, who knows, come November, I might have better shit to do.

I just feel it would be a bit flakey for me to be supporting a dem so much, only to say "fuck it" when my guy doesn't get the no, but like I said, who knows.

teruterubozu said:
53lp5k.jpg

According to Wiki:
"He recounted meeting with Michelle Obama, having breakfast with Chelsea Clinton, and receiving calls from Bill Clinton, John Kerry, Madeline Albright, and others, but declines to say whom he supports for the Democratic presidential nomination"

I would keep them guessing too if I were in his position. Come on Obama, throw this kid some hookers.

Tamanon

Banned
Dude sounds like he's 12 too. I can't believe that he represents so much "power". Hell sometimes he even starts to sound like Miss Teen South Carolina.

teruterubozu said:
53lp5k.jpg

According to Wiki:

Wow......

LOL, I'd be more inclined to take special favour from Michelle Obama then nasty ass Chelsea....

terrene

Banned
JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE FUCK IS SHE THINKING?

If she doesn't accept defeat and let the votes fall where they may in the PRIMARY, overriding the will of the Democrats' difficult-to-unite electorate, she:

a) Will be attempting to win a general election where the MAJORITY OF HER PARTY WAS DISENFRANCHISED BY HER, PERSONALLY
b) Will have opened herself to greatest vulnerability yet to Republican attacks on her personal integrity.

-- and that's if this tactic even fucking WORKS.

The general election needs to be where the party comes together and unites behind its nominee. This is the most foolhardy, vainglorious posturing by a candidate I have ever witnessed.

I will not vote for her in the general if she wins the nomination, simply because of this. She just lost me. You either want power to do good or power for power's sake, and now she's shown what she wants. If she thinks she can afford to lose the votes of people who care about fair elections, I'm happy to take her up on her fucking offer.

Flo_Evans

heh I just got this in my inbox

As you've probably heard, there could be a wildcard in the race for the Democratic nomination.

We firmly believe that the candidate who has won the most pledged delegates -- the result of having more voters in more places supporting your campaign -- will be the Democratic nominee.

But to be safe, we are working to attract the support of "superdelegates" -- party officials and Democratic officeholders from across the country -- who also have a vote at the Democratic National Convention.

You may already know some superdelegates -- they include senators, governors, and even former presidents and vice presidents. But many others are ordinary people who hold positions in the state and local party operations.

These nearly 800 superdelegates will vote alongside the more than 3,000 pledged delegates who are chosen in the various state primaries and caucuses. The candidate that gets a majority of all delegates (superdelegates and pledged delegates combined) will be the Democratic nominee for president.

Right now, Barack is ahead in the contest for pledged delegates. We've won 23 contests out of the 35 that have been held so far -- including the last 8 in a row. And with our decisive victories in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC on Tuesday, we now lead by more than 135 pledged delegates in the race for the Democratic nomination.

While we intend to continue winning states and expanding our lead among the pledged delegates, and believe that will likely ensure that Barack is the Democratic nominee, we're also doing the work of reaching out to superdelegates and making sure as many as possible support Barack Obama.

Here's where you can play a key role.

Our work so far has taught us one important lesson: that your personal story about why you support Barack Obama is often the most powerful persuasion tool for someone who's undecided. That's true whether that undecided voter is your neighbor or a superdelegate.

The story of where you're from, what brought you into the political process, the issues that matter to you, and why you became part of this movement has the potential to inspire someone who could cast a deciding vote in this contest.

Our staff will compile stories from supporters like you and make them a key part of the conversation with superdelegates as Barack asks for their support.

Share your story to help persuade superdelegates now:

http://my.barackobama.com/superdelegates

I've received a lot of email from folks asking how best to help with the superdelegate effort, and this is it.

Your note, combined with those of other Obama supporters, will tell the story of an extraordinary movement of ordinary people -- a story with a common thread of hope that becomes all the more powerful when it brings together the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our supporters.

Together we're building something historic, and your story can help make someone else a part of it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

Fuckin A.

If Hillary actually succeeded in this bullshit, not only would she lose in the general, but it would be a massive landslide. It would be so bad it actually might set back any other woman from running for president for many years.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Question: do you really think that people from the Clinton camp will change sides? I mean, it is clear that Hillary is a treacherous cunt, but maybe her supporters are not seeing that way. Mind you, I am not a US citizen and therefore not privy to the situation.

Tamanon

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Question: do you really think that people from the Clinton camp will change sides? I mean, it is clear that Hillary is a treacherous cunt, but maybe her supporters are not seeing that way. Mind you, I am not a US citizen and therefore not privy to the situation.

Superdelegates should, she doesn't have THAT much of a powerbase, and certainly not enough to assure people of no political harm coming to them from this. Do you think they really want to be known as the people who stole the election of the first black president away from the people?

Flo_Evans

Tamanon said:
Superdelegates should, she doesn't have THAT much of a powerbase, and certainly not enough to assure people of no political harm coming to them from this. Do you think they really want to be known as the people who stole the election of the first black president away from the people?

I think they really think that Bill was the 1st black president. Like they don't think that was a funny bit of satire. They actually believe it!

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=24286

Pelosi weighs in.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi -- who may be the most super delegate of all as chair of the Democratic national convention in Denver -- gave an interview with Bloomberg TV's Al Hunt in which she laid down the law for super delegates:

Don't veto the people's choice.

"I think there is a concern when the public speaks and there is a counter-decision made to that," she said, adding quickly, "I don't think that will happen."

She said the governors, lawmakers, DNC members and others picked as super delegates are chosen through a grassroots process and are accountable to the party's voters.

"I do think that they have a respect -- it's not just following the returns, it's also having a respect for what has been said by the people," Pelosi said. "It would be a problem for the party if the verdict would be something different than the public has decided."

Also says the MI/FL delegates shouldn't sit.

Phoenix

Funky Papa said:

Superdelagates should sway with the popular vote in a wildcard race, but sadly there is nothing saying this has to be the case. It is quite possible that they could hold their ground and say that they REALLY want Hillary and that'd really be the end of it. Under that scenario, I'm actually more inclined to vote for McCain. He's a shitload more centrist than she is.

terrene

Banned
It doesn't matter if the party blocks the delegates or not; Hillary has lost me for good for even trying this. She's out.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but whatever...... what the fuck is the purpose of superdelagates in the first place?

teruterubozu said:
53lp5k.jpg

According to Wiki:

I saw his interview on CNN; the kid seemed very intelligent and truly passionate about politics. He hadn't decided who he will vote for.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
demon said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but whatever...... what the fuck is the purpose of superdelagates in the first place?

To make sure the people don't choose someone they don't like.

Flo_Evans

demon said:

I think its to make sure that one candidate has enough delegates to elect, but I don't know why they couldn't just go with a simple majority if no one could get 50%.

RumFore

Banned
I think Obama has to win for the single fact I would hate to see what happens to this country if he doesn't win. I can see neighborhoods burning from NY to LA if he doesn't win. Sad but the truth. He could even lose by a big margin and America will still burn because some will feel he got robbed and thus go out and rob and destroy. Think I will go vacation in Europe around decision day. Either way we are fucked.

Flo_Evans said:
I think its to make sure that one candidate has enough delegates to elect, but I don't know why they couldn't just go with a simple majority if no one could get 50%.

It's a failsafe for the party to prevent the nomination of an unelectable candidate.

Tamanon

Banned
RumFore said:
I think Obama has to win for the single fact I would hate to see what happens to this country if he doesn't win. I can see neighborhoods burning from NY to LA if he doesn't win. Sad but the truth. He could even lose by a big margin and America will still burn because some will feel he got robbed and thus go out and rob and destroy. Think I will go vacation in Europe around decision day. Either way we are fucked.

Nobody in the press will talk about it, but I actually do think there would be widespread rioting and demonstrations if the election is wrested from the true delegates.

Flo_Evans

StopMakingSense said:
It's a failsafe for the party to prevent the nomination of an unelectable candidate.

What does that mean though? someone dies? rapes a staffer? Hillary seems pretty unelectable at this point.

wiki says

After the 1968 Democratic National Convention, the Democratic Party implemented changes in its delegate selection process, based on the work of the McGovern-Fraser Commission. The purpose of the changes was to make the composition of the convention less subject to control by party leaders and more responsive to the votes cast during the campaign for the nomination.

These comprehensive changes left some Democrats believing that the role of party leaders and elected officials had been unduly diminished, weakening the Democratic ticket. In response, the superdelegate rule was instituted after the 1980 election. Its purpose was to accord a greater role to active politicians.[3]

I really see no reason beyond taking power from the people and giving the politicians more say. But hey, it their party they can fuck it up if they want to.

Brannon

Juice said:
I can't believe that Obama's surrogates didn't pick up this talking point.

I can; the Obama side has been sitting back letting the Hillary side run around with their heads cut off, reacting only when completely necessary and with as little venom as possible. Hillary did this to herself, %100.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Flo_Evans said:
Any figure <50% isn't a majority but a plurality.

You know, there's really just nothing good about this shit that Hillary's trying to pull. How can her people be that misguided? Even as a casual observer I can tell this makes her look desperate and acknowledges who the actual frontrunner is. More than that, even if this move works (which it already totally is not), it's like handing McCain a loaded shotgun in the general election.

michaeld

Banned
I halfway believe Bill secretly wants to see Hillary fail. No way would his ego like to see his wife have his former job and the power that comes with it.

Tamanon said:
Nobody in the press will talk about it, but I actually do think there would be widespread rioting and demonstrations if the election is wrested from the true delegates.

I don't know. No one gave a fuck when Bush stole the election in 2000.
I predict the same kind of apathy.

Flo_Evans

Hitokage said:
Any figure <50% isn't a majority but a plurality.

Only if you are a euro commie!

Simple majority may refer to:

In American usage:

* Majority, a voting requirement of more than 50% of all ballots cast

Usage outside the U.S.:

* Plurality, a voting requirement of more ballots cast for a proposition than for any other option

I thought absolute majority meant it must be over 50%

But yeah why not just go with that. Now I need to find a way to work plurality into everyday conversation :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
teruterubozu said:
I don't know. No one gave a fuck when Bush stole the election in 2000.
I predict the same kind of apathy.
Um, people weren't apathetic at all. Tensions deescalated when Gore conceded.

Then again, compared to Kenya yeah people sat on their asses.

Hitokage said:
Um, people weren't apathetic at all. Tensions deescalated when Gore conceded.

Well, not quite rioting in the streets, but fuck, people didn't even riot about the war.
Democrats rioting over a candidate? I just don't see it, not today's youth anyway.

Flo_Evans

teruterubozu said:
Well, not quite rioting in the streets, but fuck, people didn't even riot about the war.
Democrats rioting over a candidate? I just don't see it, not today's youth anyway.

we didn't?

060429_protest_vmed_1p.widec.jpg

edit too big :p

Flo_Evans

teruterubozu said:
That's a peaceful, controlled demonstration. I'm talking King...Rodney King, like some people are insinuating.

Well considering the racial element in this election, I would expect a much stronger reaction.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I love how Obama is showing the left why Republicans loath the Clintons.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Amir0x said:
hey guys there's really no reason to dislike her politics i mean she's a carbon copy of Obama

O WAI--

Yeah, I never understood this. Obama is genuinely against the war. To me I look at candidates with three major categories: Foreign policy, economics, social liberties. Having a total opposite foreign policy is a major difference.

I'm hoping that Clinton's slimy politics in contrast to Obama's respectable politics shows the rest of Hillary's supporters that there is also a fundamental difference in behavior. This behavior has implications on how these two would behave in relation to lobbyists, and honoring their platform. I hope they realize that Hillary is power hungry and corrupt.

While Obama isn't perfect, I think his politics are closer to Kucinich than to Clinton.

teh_pwn said:
I love how Obama is showing the left why Republicans loath the Clintons.

:lol
Yeah, no shit.

Just the other day my Republican sister-in-law went on her usual Hillary tirade and I was like, "Hey, you're preaching to the choir now!"

RumFore said:
or whole neighborhoods may burnt down.

Obama would just love that.

Why isn't the media covering this? At least CNN?

Does anyone really give a shit about the school shootings in NIU... I know its tragic... but I just hate how overblown it gets.

Karma Kramer said:
Does anyone really give a shit about the school shootings in NIU...

Yeah. The next fucked up kid who sees how much national media coverage he'll get and decides he too can kill a bunch of people because he's a loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom