• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

The patch has caused some pretty annoying stability issues.

Menu's randomly become unusable (A button doesnt work). Game freezes at loading screen. Etc etc.

Bought Paris for 6 quid over the weekend and just got it to mastery level 20, I absolutely love this game. I spent the first few hours feeling overwhelmed and lost but after learning the layout of the place and the items it all started to come together and become really addictive. I killed Dalia yesterday by poisoning her and waiting in her bathroom wardrobe for to come and trigger my toilet bomb lol, it felt like i’d arrived.

I’d put this up as one of my GOTY on the strength of this one episode tbh, the amount of options and detail is crazy (I loved the dialogue between Viktor and Dalia when they were discussing their codenames). Is Paris considered one of the better episodes? I think it’ll be hard to top for me. I’ve bought Ep 2 as well now but i’m not quite ready to leave Paris behind just yet.

I didn't hear the safe room conversation until months after Paris came out, but it was a great moment. One of the few really personal, revealing dialogues in this game.

Paris is one of the better ones, but episode 2 takes it to another level.

You have not yet seen the extent of just what is possible.

Metal-Geo

Bought Paris for 6 quid over the weekend and just got it to mastery level 20, I absolutely love this game. I spent the first few hours feeling overwhelmed and lost but after learning the layout of the place and the items it all started to come together and become really addictive. I killed Dalia yesterday by poisoning her and waiting in her bathroom wardrobe for to come and trigger my toilet bomb lol, it felt like i’d arrived.

I’d put this up as one of my GOTY on the strength of this one episode tbh, the amount of options and detail is crazy (I loved the dialogue between Viktor and Dalia when they were discussing their codenames). Is Paris considered one of the better episodes? I think it’ll be hard to top for me. I’ve bought Ep 2 as well now but i’m not quite ready to leave Paris behind just yet.

You should load up Sapienza (Episode 2) right now and feel that sweet Italian coastal breeze.

Paris was mind-blowing. Sapienza exceeded that.

Grisby

I caved. Bought it off the 30 sale on Xbox. Spent all last night downloading it and I'm going to check it out this afternoon after some time with FF15.

So, any small tips for a guy whose only real completed hitman experience was Absolution?

I figure you guys have been asked this a lot, but what are some small, but impactful tips? And the biggest question, should I turn on that opportunities stuff? I mean, can you find a lot of the assassination attempts naturally?

I didn't hear the safe room conversation until months after Paris came out, but it was a great moment. One of the few really personal, revealing dialogues in this game.

Paris is one of the better ones, but episode 2 takes it to another level.

You have not yet seen the extent of just what is possible.

You should load up Sapienza (Episode 2) right now and feel that sweet Italian coastal breeze.

Paris was mind-blowing. Sapienza exceeded that.

Lawd. Can't wait to dig into it.

Really glad i went with the episodic approach on this. I'm not normally one for completing challenges and replaying levels so if i'd have bought them all at once i would have done the bare minimum and jumped between all the missions without really appreciating them.

Murkas

I caved. Bought it off the 30 sale on Xbox. Spent all last night downloading it and I'm going to check it out this afternoon after some time with FF15.

So, any small tips for a guy whose only real completed hitman experience was Absolution?

I figure you guys have been asked this a lot, but what are some small, but impactful tips? And the biggest question, should I turn on that opportunities stuff? I mean, can you find a lot of the assassination attempts naturally?

-opportunities set on minimal so it doesn't tell you exactly where to go, only what to do
-instinct mode off (turn this on if you find the game too difficult)
-spend a lot of time exploring a level before tackling the target
-try and max out a level mastery before moving on to the next
-experiment
-learn and exploit enemy AI (if a guard finds a gun/bomb, they'll go and remove it, leaving their post which is good for you)
-don't quit when things go wrong, escape and adapt, don't try and "get everything right first time"!
-after completing a level for the first time, look at the challenges after for new ideas and kills to try out.

- Some of the most overlooked and most important UI elements: the Trespassing indicator under the minimap, the Illegal Item indicator for inventory items, and the orange highlight in instinct mode for NPCs you have blown your current cover with.
- NPC head direction can matter a lot because it also turns their vision cones.
- Pick up screwdrivers, wrenches, crowbars, and emetic rat poison whenever you see any of them, and remember where they are for future runs.
- Small throwable items are some of the best weapons in the game.
- You don't need to hide bodies after an Accident Kill or Poison Kill (displayed on the top right of the screen).
- Trying to drag a body with people nearby is the easiest way to make life hard for yourself.
- Guns have many more uses for sabotaging objects than for shooting people.
- For guards, dropping a weapon can be a more useful distraction than throwing a coin. But you also need to be careful to not get seen.
- Climbing is the most overlooked way to get into restricted areas.

Opportunities set to minimal can be good for Paris, because a lot of opportunities are actually kind of out of the way and can also be missed. After Paris it gets much easier to play with opportunities off, which is also partly because you'll be more used to it.

For the first run through, make sure opportunities are set to either minimal (if you want some hints here and there) or off. Make sure objective markers are off as well. From there I would also recommend turning off EITHER focus mode (basically batvision, lets you see through walls and highlights useful items) OR the minimap. The two of them together give you a bit too much information about your surroundings IMO, but turning off both will be a bit too frustrating. First go throughs of a level should just be about exploration and eventually bumbling into a fun way to take your targets out.

Where can you go in which outfit? What places can you wander around in that aren't directly relevant to your target? Where can you find items laying around you might need later (poison, wrenches, keycards, etc.)? What interactable things can you find and what do they do to the environment? What do you hear gaurds, people on the street, or even your target talk about when they're just walking around? Don't be afraid to just follow a target around the map to see their schedule and behavior, even if you have an obvious kill don't go for it. Soak it all in!

So yeah, you have to be a specific kind of mood for this sort of play but I have enjoyed it immensely. Once you have the levels down more + unlocks, you can play around with speed runs, specific kills, Suit Only - Silent Assassin runs, etc. Also I like to turn objectives on full sometimes just to go through them, they've got some interesting kills to see.

Hope this helps!

Play the prologue tutorial missions. Try out some of the opportunities in those missions killing the targets in different ways. After that, on first playthroughs of the levels try to find the opportunities on your own, and then track them if you want.

Don't worry about suit only runs until you fully understand a level. Disguises will be your friend. They work much better than they did in Absolution.

Have fun!

Rookhelm

I'd say that's a bug as they should consider you hostile in the "tactical suit" no matter where you are in Colorado.

Was probably introduced with the patch that came out yesterday, did the problem persist on restart of level/game?

I bet it was the patch. A couple nights ago, I started Colorado, didn't get very far just basically loaded into the level, saved, and quit for the night.

Then, I patched the game yesterday, and loaded up the save. that's when no one cared about me walking around except in those specific areas. Almost as though I was wearing a merc disguise, except not a single guy had a dot over their head.

I played straight though the mission, only loading up previous saves when I died...I never restarted the level or quit and restart. I'll give it a fresh go tonight, see if that reset.

Kuranghi

Definitely set "Opportunities" to OFF and only turn them on to get the achievement for doing them all when you've completed them all - While doing opp's yourself you will probably miss a step that the comp wants you to do, so I usually turn them on to "clean up" all the remaining steps and make the achievement pop.

Set "Challenges" to either OFF or Minimal - OFF still gives you the picture in the menu if you want to see it, Minimal gives you the name of the challenge as well, which can make it really obvious sometimes, but I'd say keep it off til you are completely stumped.

Definitely put "suspicion indicator" and "trespassing warning/map indicator" ON, sorry cant remember the name right now.

Then the rest is personal preference really, I like the minimap AND instinct on because i hate being caught as soon as i open a door, but you an easily get away with just one of them. I'd say both for maximum fun though.

Anything else I can help with?

I. LOVE. HITMAN.

Grisby

I love gaf and it's members, so many good tips. Thank you!

Did not know you could set opportunities to minimal, so I might try that at first. Can you run out of time for certain opportunities, because I would like to just explore the level for a while.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Did not know you could set opportunities to minimal, so I might try that at first. Can you run out of time for certain opportunities, because I would like to just explore the level for a while.

things can happen that make the opportunities expire but I don't think you can just run out of time in that way.

For example if you were to kill a target any opportunity that ended with you killing the target would become unavailable.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a better way to deal with waiting in this game? Some of the Paris challenges can be like 15 minutes of waiting around doing nothing. Are there ways to trigger events faster? I seem to remember previous Hitman games having time acceleration of some sort?

Kuranghi

Is there a better way to deal with waiting in this game? Some of the Paris challenges can be like 15 minutes of waiting around doing nothing. Are there ways to trigger events faster? I seem to remember previous Hitman games having time acceleration of some sort?

What are you waiting for? Fifteen [15] minutes sounds a bit too long for most things, its possible you can force it.

MaKTaiL

I'e just posted this on Reddit and I'm posting it here too:

Aquacadabra Feature Contract is a BROKEN MESS!

This contract should be removed from the Feature List. There is no skill involved in attempting this Contract. It's all pure luck and hope that the AI will not glitch on you. It's literally impossible to complete it the way it was intended.

The first obstacle is getting Tren Po to actually see your goddamn distraction and as far away as possible from line of sight to use the Emetic syringe. Sometimes he sees me throwing it, sometimes he doesn't care at all. Once you get past this horrible part, killing him is easy. However by the time you get to Shiek's room, no matter how fast or which routes you take he will already be leaving his room to meet Dalia. BOOM. Contract falied.

The only way I've seen to reach the Sheik before he is leaving his room is by using a glitch that lets you drop to the very first floor without dying from the fall. I've seen lots of Youtubers using this glitch to finish it.

This contract should be removed from the list since it CANNOT be done legitimately. I don't know if the AI changed after a few patches but it is not behaving how it used to when the guy created the contract. I've been playing this game for over 250h+ so far and I have everything completed but this awful contract is making me seriously want to quit.

Nachos

Anyone else have any lighting glitches following the latest patch on PC?

TRe0M2B.jpg

opEi4mI.jpg

Here, the glow that shows what you can interact with is really pixelated, but there have been some cases where the outside lighting turns into a mass of rainbow pixels or constantly flickering bright spots. The bright spots flicker fast enough that I think they could actually give someone a seizure.

If I save while this happens, the glitches stay, but if I roll back to a pre-glitch save, everything goes back to normal. It's really hard to see anything on the screen in some cases.

I never had an issue before, and I already have 40 hours clocked.

For season 2, I would like an opportunities mode that tells you when you've found an opportunity but doesn't give you any other hints/tips other than what shows on the menu screen. It's a pain in the butt to haven't to try not to read the tip when doing minimal mode. Not minimal enough!

Mupod

Here, the glow that shows what you can interact with is really pixelated, but there have been some cases where the outside lighting turns into a mass of rainbow pixels or constantly flickering bright spots. The bright spots flicker fast enough that I think they could actually give someone a seizure.

If I save while this happens, the glitches stay, but if I roll back to a pre-glitch save, everything goes back to normal. It's really hard to see anything on the screen in some cases.

are you running SLI? Ever since I put my second 970 in I've gotten glitches like that in a couple games. Really bad in one map on Titanfall 2.

Daffy Duck

WTF is this shit?

Just got the game installed and I cannot run it, says I need to check my internet connection, but I'm connected and posting this.

FFS.

MUnited83

For you.

Probably to do with your graphics card. I've had a couple of similar glitches before.

MUnited83

For you.
For season 2, I would like an opportunities mode that tells you when you've found an opportunity but doesn't give you any other hints/tips other than what shows on the menu screen. It's a pain in the butt to haven't to try not to read the tip when doing minimal mode. Not minimal enough!

Well you can sorta do this. When someone is having a conversation that opens a opportunity you can choose to just not track it.

MUnited83

For you.
I'e just posted this on Reddit and I'm posting it here too:

Aquacadabra Feature Contract is a BROKEN MESS!

This contract should be removed from the Feature List. There is no skill involved in attempting this Contract. It's all pure luck and hope that the AI will not glitch on you. It's literally impossible to complete it the way it was intended.

The first obstacle is getting Tren Po to actually see your goddamn distraction and as far away as possible from line of sight to use the Emetic syringe. Sometimes he sees me throwing it, sometimes he doesn't care at all. Once you get past this horrible part, killing him is easy. However by the time you get to Shiek's room, no matter how fast or which routes you take he will already be leaving his room to meet Dalia. BOOM. Contract falied.

The only way I've seen to reach the Sheik before he is leaving his room is by using a glitch that lets you drop to the very first floor without dying from the fall. I've seen lots of Youtubers using this glitch to finish it.

This contract should be removed from the list since it CANNOT be done legitimately. I don't know if the AI changed after a few patches but it is not behaving how it used to when the guy created the contract. I've been playing this game for over 250h+ so far and I have everything completed but this awful contract is making me seriously want to quit.
I don't think IOI cares about the contracts requiring skill or being relient on crazy luck.

The perfect example is the "The Matsuda-San Contract" , which relies on pure luck to pull off Silent Assassin, since the only you way you can kill the receptionist stealthly is trying to make her flee into the bathroom which is extremely random.

Daffy Duck

Once I draw my weapon can I put it away again without dropping it?

Doing the training mission and after killing the target I couldn't see a way to put my gun away.

Raptomex

This game really is the pinnacle of the series from a gameplay standpoint and man do I still suck at it. On the 4th mission and am just loving the exotic locations. I'm still pissed about the online handling for a single player game but they've done pretty well.

One thing I miss is the central location for your weapons stash. I don't remember if it was in Blood Money but there was something cool about visiting your safehouse and seeing all the weapons at your disposal. Especially since most had to be unlocked. This leads to a question.

It looks like you can only unlock weapons per mission, for that specific mission. Not sure how I feel about that but is there a variety of different weapons besides what's found in the environments or in the planning section? Not that I use guns a lot but when I want to mess around or go for sniped or silenced weapon hits, a nice variety would be cool. Especially with the freedom this game offers, including other game modes.

Once I draw my weapon can I put it away again without dropping it?

Doing the training mission and after killing the target I couldn't see a way to put my gun away.
Up on the dpad if using an Xbox One controller.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This game really is the pinnacle of the series from a gameplay standpoint and man do I still suck at it. On the 4th mission and am just loving the exotic locations. I'm still pissed about the online handling for a single player game but they've done pretty well.

One thing I miss is the central location for your weapons stash. I don't remember if it was in Blood Money but there was something cool about visiting your safehouse and seeing all the weapons at your disposal. Especially since most had to be unlocked. This leads to a question.

It looks like you can only unlock weapons per mission, for that specific mission. Not sure how I feel about that but is there a variety of different weapons besides what's found in the environments or in the planning section? Not that I use guns a lot but when I want to mess around or go for sniped or silenced weapon hits, a nice variety would be cool. Especially with the freedom this game offers, including other game modes.

unlocks can be used on any map. There's a sniper unlock on Japan that has multiple zoom levels btw if you want to get that then go back. It's much better than the one you start with.

Iced

What's the word on DirectX12 performance with Nvidia cards? I'm on an EVGA 1070 FTW. Is it best to stick with DirectX11?

Raptomex

unlocks can be used on any map. There's a sniper unlock on Japan that has multiple zoom levels btw if you want to get that then go back. It's much better than the one you start with.
Oh. I thought it was per mission. Yeah, a rifle that could zoom would be nice. Thanks.
What's the word on DirectX12 performance with Nvidia cards? I'm on an EVGA 1070 FTW. Is it best to stick with DirectX11?
I had to skip the launcher on Steam using a command for DX12 to work correctly. Been working fine since.

The_Balm

I just tried playing the summer bonus episode for the first time. Every time I restart or load a save, opportunities don't reveal a second time and I can't track them. I have opportunities set to minimal and if I walk over to a conversation the NPCs still say the same dialogue, but it never says "opportunity revealing" so I can't track it. Anyone else had this problem?

There is one on the last mission... and that's it.

So yeah, actually what you just said was my main suggestion to you : don't try to kill the targets at first. First play as a virtual tourist, visiting the place and noting mentally where are the possible opportunities, entries to restricted areas, disguises, etc.

Daffy Duck

Up on the dpad if using an Xbox One controller.

Nice, for now I've assigned it to mouse button 4.

Will connect either my spare DS4 or Xbox controller.

MaKTaiL

I just tried playing the summer bonus episode for the first time. Every time I restart or load a save, opportunities don't reveal a second time and I can't track them. I have opportunities set to minimal and if I walk over to a conversation the NPCs still say the same dialogue, but it never says "opportunity revealing" so I can't track it. Anyone else had this problem?
They actually fixed that on the last patch. It was never supposed to show everytime you play the mission. Once you reveal an opportunity the first time it won't show up again but you can activate it on the menu screen.

Daffy Duck

Ohhhhhh boy, this game is something else.

I did my training and got to Paris....wow the opportunities and exploration required to scout out everything is amazing.

I can see me spending hours just on the main two figuring out cunning ways to kill them, then there's all the escalation tasks....this is a whole lot of game for £20.

I did my training and got to Paris....wow the opportunities and exploration required to scout out everything is amazing.

I can see me spending hours just on the main two figuring out cunning ways to kill them, then there's all the escalation tasks....this is a whole lot of game for £20.
It really is.

I have no idea how long I'll spend with Paris alone, but god damn there is so much to explore and toy with. Hell, I just found out that you could
shimmy along the walls and climb drain pipes.
Also found a friggin
battle axe(!)
and a
vampire magician(?)
costume.

(Note: those probably aren't really very spoilerish at all, but they were all surprises for me, though this is my first real Hitman game)

Grisby

Passed the training mission stuff.

Highlights:
-Nailing a dude in the head with a fire extinguisher
-ejecting a guy from an F-16
things can happen that make the opportunities expire but I don't think you can just run out of time in that way.

For example if you were to kill a target any opportunity that ended with you killing the target would become unavailable.
There is one on the last mission... and that's it.

So yeah, actually what you just said was my main suggestion to you : don't try to kill the targets at first. First play as a virtual tourist, visiting the place and noting mentally where are the possible opportunities, entries to restricted areas, disguises, etc.
Cool. Will do.

Stoze

Does being "Hunted" ruin silent assassin? I got an accident/unnoticed kill but I don't think I've been hunted afterwards until now.

It really sunk in for me that Hitman was back when I was playing Paris and was just walking along the side of the building scoping things out and the level keeps going and going and going all the way past the lawn in the back. The level was just so huge

Sapizena is awesome because the mansion alone could have been a level in Blood Money but here it's just one part of that area. And then Marrakesh is the most spy-movie thing I've played in years

Here is the guy using the glitch I talked about: https://youtu.be/uQYELHeM3h0?t=3m33s

EDIT

Second glitch: https://youtu.be/Dzxan--Jb8M?t=2m35s

Speed runners are gonna lose it when this is patched.
I don't think IOI cares about the contracts requiring skill or being relient on crazy luck.

The perfect example is the "The Matsuda-San Contract" , which relies on pure luck to pull off Silent Assassin, since the only you way you can kill the receptionist stealthly is trying to make her flee into the bathroom which is extremely random.
A fellow pad player, nicely done.
Have you gone back to complete this again after the LB wipe?
Does being "Hunted" ruin silent assassin? I got an accident/unnoticed kill but I don't think I've been hunted afterwards until now.
It should. Hunted means they have your description.

I have been eyeing this game after watching the Game Maker's Toolkit video. Unfortunately, I did not have a PS4/XB1 nor a gaming PC for now, so I can't play it. However, I did have the whole Hitman series sitting in my steam library which was bought during deals. If I want to start getting into the series, which one should I play first? I don't mind playing games which are not aged well, so should I play them in chronological order?

Stoze

It should. Hunted means they have your description.

Yeah that's what I thought. Re-did what I was doing and wasn't hunted the second time, not sure what happened.

Would be nice if they just immediately let you know if SA gets messed up. Doesn't have to be in-your-face text like the alert messages are, it could just be a subtle sound effect like what they added in for headshots or when you get intel.

Top Bottom