• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

All I've played so far is Sapienza.

I don't think I'll be playing anything other than Sapienza for a while.

What a level. It's the one that sold me on the game when I saw Giant Bomb play it. I blitzed through the tutorial and headed straight to it, fuck the fashion show yo.

FiraB

Banned
It really snuck in for me that Hitman was back when I was playing Paris and was just walking along the side of the building scoping things out and the level keeps going and going and going all the way past the lawn in the back. The level was just so huge

Sapizena is awesome because the mansion alone could have been a level in Blood Money but here it's just one part of that area. And then Marrakesh is the most spy-movie thing I've played in years

Colorado is probably closer to blood money then most levels in scope and then when you get to Hokkaido it's just like that Sapizena moment again. The level design is top-notch, can't wait to see what they come up with for season 2.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I have been eyeing this game after watching the Game Maker's Toolkit video. Unfortunately, I did not have a PS4/XB1 nor a gaming PC for now, so I can't play it. However, I did have the whole Hitman series sitting in my steam library which was bought during deals. If I want to start getting into the series, which one should I play first? I don't mind playing games which are not aged well, so should I play them in chronological order?

By all of them, do you also mean the very first hitman game? That one has aged pretty poorly. The rest hold up pretty well, though.

Hitman 2 has aged quite a bit, but it has some great levels. It also has quite a few bullshit levels where you only have one real option to take out your target. And two of the four Japanese levels are kinda shit, but if you're not worried about getting perfect ratings, you can just kill a couple of guards and make a beeline for the end of the level.

Hitman: Contracts has aged a lot better than 2, and was my personal favourite in the series until 2016 came along. It contains a bunch of new missions plus pretty much all the decent levels from the very first game remade, hence why it might be worth skipping the original. Some people will tell you that the controls are quite clunky by modern standards, and they are, but it feels less clunky than blood money, in my opinion.

Blood money is also a great game and was undoubtedly the major source of inspiration for 2016, but I personally didn't enjoy it as much as contracts. You do have a lot more ways to off your targets than you did in previous games though, so you may like this one more than contracts. It seems that most people do.

Lastly, if you have absolution, maybe play it at some point. It's a good game, but with the exception of a few levels, it's not a good Hitman game. And it's not really necessary to play it before 2016.

I got to level 20 in Colorado but the trophy never unlocked, is this a known bug?.

edit: got it after playing another level even if I was already at level 20.

By all of them, do you also mean the very first hitman game? That one has aged pretty poorly. The rest hold up pretty well, though.

Hitman 2 has aged quite a bit, but it has some great levels. It also has quite a few bullshit levels where you only have one real option to take out your target. And two of the four Japanese levels are kinda shit, but if you're not worried about getting perfect ratings, you can just kill a couple of guards and make a beeline for the end of the level.

Hitman: Contracts has aged a lot better than 2, and was my personal favourite in the series until 2016 came along. It contains a bunch of new missions plus pretty much all the decent levels from the very first game remade, hence why it might be worth skipping the original. Some people will tell you that the controls are quite clunky by modern standards, and they are, but it feels less clunky than blood money, in my opinion.

Blood money is also a great game and was undoubtedly the major source of inspiration for 2016, but I personally didn't enjoy it as much as contracts. You do have a lot more ways to off your targets than you did in previous games though, so you may like this one more than contracts. It seems that most people do.

Lastly, if you have absolution, maybe play it at some point. It's a good game, but with the exception of a few levels, it's not a good Hitman game. And it's not really necessary to play it before 2016.

Thanks for the write-up! Yeah, I have the very first game on steam. According to your descriptions, I will probably start by playing Silent Assassin and get back to the first later if a large portion of it was remade.

Had an extremely annoying glitch on Sapienza yesterday. I killed the doctor with a sniper rifle and I didn't get a target killed message on screen but I did get an audio message from Diana saying the target was dead.

Same thing happened with the guy in the mansion after I snipered him. I got an audio message from Diana but no other confirmation. After I destroyed the virus I was unable to leave the level as the objectives were listed as uncompleted on the pause screen.

Any advice for Paris? I've just started playing and am really struggling. I go to the auction but have no idea how to kill the target. The other target is doable but I haven't done it without being spotted.

Murkas

Any advice for Paris? I've just started playing and am really struggling. I go to the auction but have no idea how to kill the target. The other target is doable but I haven't done it without being spotted.

On top of the stairs of that floor is a auction staff member standing by some doors, go through those doors and turn right, climb through that window and shimmy left to go into the targets bathroom unnoticed. Play the radio in the bathroom to attract the guard and KO him. Then just wait for the target to come.

On top of the stairs of that floor is a auction staff member standing by some doors, go through those doors and turn right, climb through that window and shimmy left to go into the targets bathroom unnoticed. Play the radio in the bathroom to attract the guard and KO him. Then just wait for the target to come.
Holy shit. Well that helps, thank you!

Thanks for the write-up! Yeah, I have the very first game on steam. According to your descriptions, I will probably start by playing Silent Assassin and get back to the first later if a large portion of it was remade.

The order I would probably recommend would be Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin. The reason I say this is because BM not only looks and plays better, but it's also a fair bit easier and more forgiving. It's way too easy to give up on H2:SA on Anathema or St. Petersburg Stakeout because of a one two punch of "hitman doesn't play quite like other games" and "H2:SA in particular has its own set of peculiarities".

That said, if you do decide to start with SA, my advice for you is simple. Can someone see you? If so, walk, do not run.

Daffy Duck

It really sunk in for me that Hitman was back when I was playing Paris and was just walking along the side of the building scoping things out and the level keeps going and going and going all the way past the lawn in the back. The level was just so huge

Sapizena is awesome because the mansion alone could have been a level in Blood Money but here it's just one part of that area. And then Marrakesh is the most spy-movie thing I've played in years

That last paragraph sounds amazing. I doubt I'll get to those levels for a while due to really wanting to master Paris before I move on.

Mupod

Decided to try for sniper assassin on Marrakesh as during my earlier runs I'd noticed two absolutely perfect spots to snipe the targets unseen. I got a military disguise early on, my sniper rifle was stashed at one sniper location and I carried it to the other. It went about as well as I expected, but some weirdness happened after I shot the second target. Nobody saw me shoot him but a whole conga line of 15+ enemy soldiers started running single file up the stairs to the building I was in - I just walked down the stairs past them with no issues. But they were yelling constantly about a bald guy dressed as a waiter. I'd spawned as a waiter but changed out of it seconds later and nobody saw me do it, so that was odd. Got the challenge done anyways.

Mupod

How do you unlock the sniper rifle on Sapienza? I see the challenge but don't have the gun. I'm master level 11/12 I think...

I unlocked one from Paris. Unlocks from other maps carry over.

There's another one from high mastery on Marrakesh that I'm working towards.

The order I would probably recommend would be Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin. The reason I say this is because BM not only looks and plays better, but it's also a fair bit easier and more forgiving. It's way too easy to give up on H2:SA on Anathema or St. Petersburg Stakeout because of a one two punch of "hitman doesn't play quite like other games" and "H2:SA in particular has its own set of peculiarities".

That said, if you do decide to start with SA, my advice for you is simple. Can someone see you? If so, walk, do not run.

Thanks for the advice! I will stick to SA as I like the natural progression of a series. The game is installing now. I may write a LTTP thread after playing a handful of the game.

BTW, I was reading the last few pages. You guys are really nice, and I like that a developer is reading the thread and reporting issue of the game. This community is great! :)

Carcetti

Passed the training mission stuff.

I'm hearing a lot about this game now and... well, I have it but I got bored in the yacht training mission. Didn't like the level at all and when they went 'now do it again 5 times' I just noped out and forgot the game exists.

Worth going through it, then, I guess?

I'm hearing a lot about this game now and... well, I have it but I got bored in the yacht training mission. Didn't like the level at all and when they went 'now do it again 5 times' I just noped out and forgot the game exists
What are you talking about? You do it once directly by the game and a second time on your own.

dyreschlock

Had an extremely annoying glitch on Sapienza yesterday. I killed the doctor with a sniper rifle and I didn't get a target killed message on screen but I did get an audio message from Diana saying the target was dead.

Same thing happened with the guy in the mansion after I snipered him. I got an audio message from Diana but no other confirmation. After I destroyed the virus I was unable to leave the level as the objectives were listed as uncompleted on the pause screen.

I had the exact same bug today, too, but with the Marrakesh level.

None of the completed challenges stuck after I completed the level either. :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How do you unlock the sniper rifle on Sapienza? I see the challenge but don't have the gun. I'm master level 11/12 I think...

It unlocks at 20. The sniper you unlock on Sapienza isn't silenced btw but it's more powerful. If you want a sniper to do challenges or something there's a better one unlocked from Bangkok at 15 and the best one is from Japan at 20. You can use those on any map once you have them.

Xenoboy

Just finished Colorado, I didn't like it very much. It's okay, there are some interesting things there though, but the level isn't very fun to go around in.
Hokkaido is next I guess though.

It unlocks at 20. The sniper you unlock on Sapienza isn't silenced btw but it's more powerful. If you want a sniper to do challenges or something there's a better one unlocked from Bangkok at 15 and the best one is from Japan at 20. You can use those on any map once you have them.

Are both of those silenced?

Not very stealthy if it isn't, haha.

Murkas

Next ET:

Cyg1xuDW8AAV6u7.jpg

Mupod

Ah okay.

Maybe I'll smash my way through Paris tonight then. I love sniping.

Paris has its own sniper challenges too, and I found a REALLY cool way to do it but the rifle I had wasn't capable of it. But the Marrakesh unlocked sniper can penetrate targets, I really want to try doing a 'one shot, two kills' on Paris even if it won't get me anything special.

Mupod

Oh wait, is the penetrating sniper from Sapienza, not Marrakesh? And non-silenced is a bit of a deal breaker but I still want to try the double headshot.

Anyways on the subject of sniping that ET image is interesting because it's in the line of sight of the sniper perch I just used. But I can't see them making it that easy.

I got SA on the previous ET (first one I had the game for) - do you get anything special for going for silent assassin after the first unlock or should I just worry about getting the job done?

MUnited83

For you.
Oh wait, is the penetrating sniper from Sapienza, not Marrakesh? And non-silenced is a bit of a deal breaker but I still want to try the double headshot.

Anyways on the subject of sniping that ET image is interesting because it's in the line of sight of the sniper perch I just used. But I can't see them making it that easy.

I got SA on the previous ET (first one I had the game for) - do you get anything special for going for silent assassin after the first unlock or should I just worry about getting the job done?
There is no penetrating sniper anymore, they "fixed" that, which makes that sniper now 100% useless.

I believe there is a new suit for the first time you have a SA rating on new targets when you're doing it for the first time (since the chef) on a map. So you need to do SA on this to get the Marrakesh suit with gloves.

Murkas

There is no penetrating sniper anymore, they "fixed" that, which makes that sniper now 100% useless.

I believe there is a new suit for the first time you have a SA rating on new targets when you're doing it for the first time (since the chef) on a map. So you need to do SA on this to get the Marrakesh suit with gloves.

If i remember right:

Completing an ET on a map for the first time (SA not necessary)=map suit with gloves
1 SA ET=Terminus suit
5 SA ET=winter suit

Yes, on Sapienza you unlock the non-silenced sniper rifle with 2x zoom, which penetrates bodies.

You will basically be going for three different suits:
- Summer suit with gloves for finishing any Marrakesh elusive
- Absolution suit for finishing any 5 elusives
- Winter suit for finishing any 5 elusives with SA

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

If you end up spending a fair bit of time with the games, don't be afraid to make a little LTTP thread for the series on gaf. I'd be interested to read some thoughts from someone trying these games out for the first time in 2016/7.

Mupod

If you end up spending a fair bit of time with the games, don't be afraid to make a little LTTP thread for the series on gaf. I'd be interested to read some thoughts from someone trying these games out for the first time in 2016/7.

I've ignored this series ever since I tried the first one and HATED it. I could not wrap my head around the controls. This was around when the first PC game was relatively new, so a very long time ago.

I never went back to later games either as at first glance the setting and aesthetic seemed too serious/try-hard to me. But playing this one I realize I was wrong and it does the Metal Gear thing of being a goofy as fuck game, which plays it stone-faced straight and therefore becomes 10 times funnier.

I've become curious about Blood Money as it's so revered but for now I've more than got my hands full with this one.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've ignored this series ever since I tried the first one and HATED it. I could not wrap my head around the controls. This was around when the first PC game was relatively new, so a very long time ago.

I never went back to later games either as at first glance the setting and aesthetic seemed too serious/try-hard to me. But playing this one I realize I was wrong and it does the Metal Gear thing of being a goofy as fuck game, which plays it stone-faced straight and therefore becomes 10 times funnier.

I've become curious about Blood Money as it's so revered but for now I've more than got my hands full with this one.
This and Blood Money are the two to play, but this is far and away the better one IMO

This and Blood Money are the two to play, but this is far and away the better one IMO

This and BM for sure. Contracts is my personal favorite, but it's the one you dig into once you've had your fill of BM and want to backtrack through the series, IMO. H2:SA is the one you get into when you feel completionist. :D

Hitman was a series I tried many times to get into and it didn't really click for me until BM, and then I was able to work backwards through the series, disconnecting the difficulty of each game from the quirks of each.

Top Bottom