• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts exceeded my expectations

SantaC

More positive Hogwarts threads are always welcome. Here is another.

The world is beatifully crafted, the combat is excellent and the story is decent enough. I am having coworkers play this game who are not gamers.

Hogwarts Legacy definitely reminds me of Witcher 3 in terms of production values.

The only disappointment is that the game has to end.

Oh and that MUSIC! Who was the composer of this masterpiece?

Last edited:
Same.

Ignoring all the controversy around it, it's just a damn great game.

It's gameplay loop, progression, and dedication and attention to detail of the world and lore all remind me a bit of Insomniac's Spider-Man game. Like Spider-Man, it's just a near-perfect, dream experience for any fan of the series.

I'm close to 30 hours in and it's absolutely a GOTY contender for me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I wish I could say the same. Given, I've only played for 5 hours but it didn't really grab me the way I was hoping for.

Enjoy, man!

SantaC

Same.

Ignoring all the controversy around it, it's just a damn great game.

It's gameplay loop, progression, and dedication and attention to detail of the world and lore all remind me a bit of Insomniac's Spider-Man game. Like Spider-Man, it's just a near-perfect, dream experience for any fan of the series.

I'm close to 30 hours in and it's absolutely a GOTY contender for me.
The game shouldnt even have controversy.

The world is beatifully crafted, the combat is excellent and the story is decent enough. I am having coworkers play this game who are not gamers.

Hogwarts Legacy definitely reminds me of Witcher 3 in terms of production values.

Couldn't agree more! I never would have expected it to be so lovely. The music is 10/10

Inspector Q

Yeah, was not expecting this game to be all that great, but I have been pleasantly surprised. The first flying mission when you are zipping around the castle on your broom was one of those rare breathtaking moments in gaming, at least for me.

StueyDuck

I am genuinely impressed at how it keeps throwing new things at you... 15 hours in and I expect to be like aaaah ok so I know this game now till the end. Heck I only figured out there was a skill tree after 7-8 hours

Then bam you get some new spell or conjuration that adds even more

Last edited:

Brock2621

Same for me. I had very little to go off of, I watched the trailers maybe once but just had no idea how expansive and magical the world density would be. And the music is incredible whimsical and reminds me of the best of John Williams. Im about 18 hours in and loving it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fuck that children shit!

Its Friday GIF by HBO Max

Tomi

How to hell did they manage to make such a great game, its crazy
This is what we need, this is how real sp game supposted to look like
And NO, Single player games are not Dead, not even close

Last edited:
I love the game but I do wish there was more attack spells or more levels of current spells.
I was reading a screen rant article that i for fed through the algorithm that was about top 10 worst spells is HL, number one was difingo and decendo... For me they are the most powerful ones. But you are correct after a while you find the spells you want to use but something is missing. I think the missed the chance after finishing the trials to get a power up/alter your spells.

Certinty

I think it’s probably one of the biggest surprises I’ve ever come across in gaming and I hated the Harry Potter movies.

The world is stunning as is the castle and most importantly feels somewhat lively, something most games can’t say.

Characters are likeable and some of the story arcs and quests are interesting enough. I’m half way through the main story right now and I won’t say it’s great but it’s not bad.

Visually in fidelity mode with ray-tracing it looks great.

Gameplay outside of combat is amazing, especially the flying with a great sense of speed, scale and so on. Combat is good enough.

Can’t praise the game enough overall, especially when it keeps throwing new stuff at the player and a lot aren’t half assed either.

The best RPG i’ve played since The Witcher 3 all the way back in 2015.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Mine too. It’s very good
I am playing on ps5 and fidelity mode plays great. But balance mode is just perfect.

It really feels like a fable game

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Finally got around to playing this myself, bought it for my son on his ps5 and was able to download it on my Ps5 through his account and play it on my account :) graphics on fidelity with ray Tracing looks great and for me doesn't feel sluggish, the castle interiors are incredibly well realized, I have 2 guys in my team at work playing and loving it, now gimme a VR mode to walk around the castle please!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My spouse is almost at max level and I’m watching her play it. She loves it. It needs a performance patch. People walking on tables, walking place, hands holding items after they’re used, quest item not appearing until a save reload, and etc.

StueyDuck

My spouse is almost at max level and I’m watching her play it. She loves it. It needs a performance patch. People walking on tables, walking place, hands holding items after they’re used, quest item not appearing until a save reload, and etc.
I honestly haven't had or seen anything like that.

I did float through the world and have to reset once. But that's gaming and I haven't had it again since.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I honestly haven't had or seen anything like that.

I did float through the world and have to reset once. But that's gaming and I haven't had it again since.
This was prior to today’s patch or whenever that patch got released. It was odd. One time she took a potion and then the bottle stayed in the MC’s hand during and after the cutscene. I’ve seen students walking on the tables or getting stuck in place in the classroom. I’ve seen some enemies standing there after getting killed. It’s very random. It’s not like it happens all the time, but it’s so noticeable that she even said something to me about it. Sounded like the only negative thing she has to say about it. This game definitely calls for a sequel.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This was prior to today’s patch or whenever that patch got released. It was odd. One time she took a potion and then the bottle stayed in the MC’s hand during and after the cutscene. I’ve seen students walking on the tables or getting stuck in place in the classroom. I’ve seen some enemies standing there after getting killed. It’s very random. It’s not like it happens all the time, but it’s so noticeable that she even said something to me about it. Sounded like the only negative thing she has to say about it. This game definitely calls for a sequel.
I think the patch was today or recently for sure.

Come to think of it I was having a few audio issues as well.

I love the music in the first Vivarium you open up in the Room of Requirement. I haven't looked into it to see if it's original to this game, but it's lovely. Moving. Spent more time chilling with my Mooncalfs and Puffskeins because I wanted to hear more of it.

Freeman76

Really is a work of art.

I dont remember a game, in 30 years of gaming, that evoked the same level of emotion that this did. Something about it just hit me, and sparked the child in me every time I played.

Me, my wife, and 2 children all played through it at the same time, sharing experiences we had and things that reminded us of the films. It was an effort to stop my 10 year old daughter spoiling the story, she sacked off every side mission and mainlined the story in 2 days. Despite my efforts, some resetera arsehole spoiled it on twitter anyway but still....

It's like a feel good movie in videogame form, and they managed to put their own touch on it while keeping true to the source. As far as I'm concerned the game is a spark of genius and everyone who worked on it should be proud.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Idk seems most of the threads are positive, overwhelming majority of people love the game.

It had three composers actually, they did a wonderful job, except for that daytime Hogsmeade music, I hate it.

There’s also credits to John Williams of course and a few of the other films composers, I believe there are subtle hints of several tracks from the films as well, a few notes here and there in some songs.

Game of the year for me so far, even exceeding the excellent Fire Emblem Engage, which is one of my favorite franchises of all-time.

DragonNCM

bait.gif

Ammogeddon

It exceeded mine too.

I didn’t even like Harry Potter and was going to pass but decided to give it a go. Glad I did as it’s one of my most favourite games in recent years.

One of my favourite aspects is that I’ve put hours into it and I am still getting introduced to new things.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hogwarts has been the media and gaming darling for the last 10 weeks even though it’s a success I don’t think it’s blowing the doors off any house.

Osthyvel

I am blown away by the quality of this game, not a big hpfan, have only seen first movie (will see the rest of them now)

For me this is one of those games that are a milestone in the industry, well done Avalanche well done 🙌

Last edited:

Osthyvel

Really is a work of art.

I dont remember a game, in 30 years of gaming, that evoked the same level of emotion that this did. Something about it just hit me, and sparked the child in me every time I played.

Me, my wife, and 2 children all played through it at the same time, sharing experiences we had and things that reminded us of the films. It was an effort to stop my 10 year old daughter spoiling the story, she sacked off every side mission and mainlined the story in 2 days. Despite my efforts, some resetera arsehole spoiled it on twitter anyway but still....

It's like a feel good movie in videogame form, and they managed to put their own touch on it while keeping true to the source. As far as I'm concerned the game is a spark of genius and everyone who worked on it should be proud.

This! -78 here, been gaming since -86

Its exactly the same feeling for me, feels like am 8 years old again, its like something happens to me when i play it, in a really good way.

Topher

Gold Member
It exceeded everyone's expectations because almost nobody expected anything good from the studio.

It's a good game made with love for the original material.

True. However, I will say that I think the end result is superior to many games produced by studios with loftier pedigrees. As far as open world RPGs are concerned, my early opinion is that it ranks with the best of them. Granted, I'm in the midst of the game and entirely enthralled by it, but my gut says this one will stand the test of time.

Hogwarts has been the media and gaming darling for the last 10 weeks even though it’s a success I don’t think it’s blowing the doors off any house.

How in the world has this game been a "media and gaming darling"?

Last edited:

GymWolf

True. However, I will say that I think the end result is superior to many games produced by studios with loftier pedigrees. As far as open world RPGs are concerned, my early opinion is that it ranks with the best of them. Granted, I'm in the midst of the game and entirely enthralled by it, but my gut says this one will stand the test of time.
I think it has 2 big flaws in enemy variety and uninteresting loot.

Some minor problem with the combat (lock on mostly) and not all side stories are hit, many are kind miss.

The main story is interesting enough but you can't avoid to make a comparison with the books and the difference is gigantic.

They have a solid base for a sequel after just one game, surely more solid than ubisoft after 3943583905 ac games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think it has 2 big flaws in enemy variety and uninteresting loot.

Some minor problem with the combat (lock on mostly) and not all side stories are hit, many are kind miss.

The main story is interesting enough but you can't avoid to make a comparison with the books and the difference is gigantic.

They have a solid base for a sequel after just one game, surely more solid than ubisoft after 3943583905 ac games.

Enemies I've encountered so far are poachers, wolves, trolls, variations of goblins, spiders, dark wizards and variations of knights. Maybe not a stacked lineup of enemies, but I think it is enough. Agree on the loot. At times, my character looks absolutely ridiculous as well.

Coming close to original material in something like this is nearly impossible so I agree on that as well. But yeah, as you say, it is interesting enough.

Overall, I think combat is a lot of fun as is just exploring. I spent hours just checking out Hogwarts alone.

GymWolf

Enemies I've encountered so far are poachers, wolves, trolls, variations of goblins, spiders, dark wizards and variations of knights. Maybe not a stacked lineup of enemies, but I think it is enough. Agree on the loot. At times, my character looks absolutely ridiculous as well.

Coming close to original material in something like this is nearly impossible so I agree on that as well. But yeah, as you say, it is interesting enough.

Overall, I think combat is a lot of fun as is just exploring. I spent hours just checking out Hogwarts alone.
Enemy variety is not nearly enough for an open world, especially in the post hfw\Er era.

Every camp has wizards and goblins, sometimes a troll, every cave has spiders, close to water you have those frogs, and they even repeat bosses in the trials.

They could do much better in differentiating the various type of wizards with some archetypes, they all feel the same when you fight them.

The combat feeling pretty good is the saving grace of most encounters tbh.

Robbinhood

Banned
It’s officially my wife’s favourite game, granted shes only played 2-3 games but she loves it. They do a good job not just making it combat to bring in other audiences

Top Bottom