• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts exceeded my expectations

Topher

Gold Member
Enemy variety is not nearly enough for an open world, especially in the post hfw\Er era.

Every camp has wizards and goblins, sometimes a troll, every cave has spiders, close to water you have those frogs, and they even repeat bosses in the trials.

They could do much better in differentiating the various type of wizards with some archetypes, they all feel the same when you fight them.

The combat feeling pretty good is the saving grace of most encounters tbh.

Fair points. As you say, things to improve on with the sequel.

Gideon

Yeah, the game exceeded my expectations too, I was expecting a horrible open world game but they delivered an actual good product, with a great open world, good combat system and visuals but also underdelivered on some aspects such as:
Enemy/boss variety was severely lacking
Story was eh
Performance was bad
Gearing system was trash

So while the game didn't end up being bad it also didn't wow me or anything, it was a very solid first attempt at a big game but ultimately it's a 7 or 7.5 game for me (5 is average, 6 is decent, 7, good, 8 is great, 9 is amazing, 10 is once in a generation game for me)

Truly impressive work by Avalanche and thank god they didn't put monetization in the game like in shadow of war.
🔥🙏🔥

I haven‘t played Witcher 3 but from what I heard I don‘t thunk its polish is as lacking as Hogwarts Legacys. There are tons of bugs, bad animations, bad lipsync etc. It‘s certainly a good game, but it lacks in various parts far behind a RDR2 even which is 5 years old now. I get it, it‘s their first major project and AAA production value game, but for their next game I expect way more value in the little details, that are so important to make a world authentic and believable.

On the other hand, it also exceeded my expectations, as I‘ve grown up with HP and they could‘ve done a way worse job.

Last edited:
True. However, I will say that I think the end result is superior to many games produced by studios with loftier pedigrees. As far as open world RPGs are concerned, my early opinion is that it ranks with the best of them. Granted, I'm in the midst of the game and entirely enthralled by it, but my gut says this one will stand the test of time.

How in the world has this game been a "media and gaming darling"?
I've never seen Everyday Beast reply to someone. You'll have to let me know if he does to you

Top Bottom