• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts legacy sequel wishlist

samoilaaa

Hogwarts legacy is one of the biggest games of 2023 , nobody can deny that , it sold 12 million in 2 weeks so its safe to say that avalanche is already thinking about a sequel

Here are the things that i wish they would add in the next entry

1. More interraction with the world - the world is beautiful , they nailed the Harry Potter atmosphere perfectly , problem is that you cant do much in this beautiful world expect collect stuff to reach an achievement , so they need to add more side activities to do , more unique locations to explore

2. Npc need waaaay better AI - this game battles with cyberpunk for the title with the most zombie npcs , they are just standing there not even talking , i would like to walk through the school and see more unique conversations , students complaining /praising the classes , talk about their life back home , i was running through the school yard and there were 2 groups of npc ( 3 each group ) and i stumbled on both of them , they didnt say a word and just resume their positions as soon as i left

3. Story - this is my biggest complain , the story is ubisoft level , its dull , i dont care about any of the characters if they live or die , no emotional connection , they really need to improve in the writing department

4. Choice and consequence - this is tied to point 3 , choice and consequence and decision making are crucial in an rpg to make the story more personal and help you connect with certain npcs
This game had no consequence at all , i was using unforgivable curses in front of others without a problem , nobody was saying anything

5. Meaningful loot - I had no desire to look for better gear because i just didnt see the point , just design the game in a way to make the player to feel the need to improve

I think that if they would add all those things the next hogwarts game has the potential of becoming one of the best rpgs ever made , i think they didnt want to try too much with the 1st game because they didnt knew how it will be recieved but now that they saw how many people loved the IP they will go all out , they also have the money to do it now , unless they decide to turn it into a Gaas like most companies these days

See you in 5-7 years

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Next game should feature the main character as an auror if they aren’t going to commit to the whole student thing. The school aspect of the game was completely neglected which was just weird.

samoilaaa

Next game should feature the main character as an auror if they aren’t going to commit to the whole student thing. The school aspect of the game was completely neglected which was just weird.
hunting dark wizards and at some point having the choice to join them would be cool

samoilaaa

JK Rowling as an NPC in game…..
WrmaAN0.jpg

yes please

Elysion

Banned
Time management similar to Persona games, where going to lessons, doing homework, Quidditch practice, spending time with friends and all other kinds of activities passes a certain amount of time each day, and you have to choose what to focus on, since you can’t do everything at once. Let us choose between being a model student who studies everyday and gets excellent grades but has few friends to hang out with, or being a popular jock with mediocre grades.

Another thing they should take from Persona is the relationship and romance aspects. There should also be more interactions with npcs, especially fellow students.

Keep the time period in the past, either 19th century again or maybe earlier. But no later than early 20th century please.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  • Continue the story from the first game. Allow you to play as your same character, now a graduate of Hogwarts and employee of the Ministry of Magic
  • Have the Ministry of Magic act as the central hub/"Hogwarts Castle" of the sequel
  • Ability to explore all of the Ministry of Magic, London, Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, countrysides surrounding London, etc..
  • Similar to choosing your house in the first game, allow you to choose your profession (Auror/Professor/Healer/Wandmaker/etc...)

That'd be pretty awesome in my mind.

Last edited:

Power Pro

• Continue the story from the first game. Allow you to play as your same character, now a graduate of Hogwarts and employee of the Ministry of Magic
  • Have the Ministry of Magic act as the central hub/"Hogwarts Castle" of the sequel
  • Ability to explore all of the Ministry of Magic, London, Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, countrysides surrounding London, etc..
  • Similar to choosing your house in the first game, allow you to choose your profession (Auror/Professor/Healer/Wandmaker/etc...)

That'd be pretty awesome in my mind.
Kinda like that idea, but I doubt they'll do it....We haven't really seen character progression across games since the Mass Effect series, and just realizing that, really bums me out.

GymWolf

Better main plot and sidequest, let's be honest, nobody gives a shit about goblin rebellions...

Way more challenge

Way better enemy and boss variety

The game screams for a botw physic system where you solve shit with the powers in the open world (since they all have a use outside of combat), they had something here and there but not nearly enough, they can go crazy with world interaction.

Meaningful loot and not just cosmetics

More refined and varied combat.

More lessons with the professors to learn stuff.

It was a great harry potter game, but not really a great game.

Last edited:

PSFan

I'd just like it to take place after the Harry Potter books. So we can see how the school is after the story. Who are the teachers, heads of house, headmaster. The HP universe hasn't delved into that very much.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Anything that wasn't relying on "Oh my goodness I'm in Hogwarts!" to sell the experience. As a realized world HWL is a great product. As an actual open world, it is boring as shit. An actual school system would do wonders for that.

. . .only lightly innovate on the combat though (better identity between some of these spell schools for example) as that was one of the few non-aesthetic things that actually worked.

There needs to be quidditch, and I would like a greater focus on the Hogwarts stuff as opposed to the vast majority being in random villages or stuff outside the castle grounds. Maybe something like bully or persona where you have to do things in class

Moochi

1. Characters

I can't name one. They are so boring and generic. I never felt a connection to any of them. The role playing element of being in school and having a group of friends is completely lacking. Consider taking inspiration from the Persona, Bioware, and Fire Emblem. Give special rewards for developing individual relationships.

2. Adventure/Sense of Wonder

School classes are generic cutscenes with extremely limited interactions. Player choice doesn't exist. Exploring Hogwarts is an awesome fantasy, but it becomes meaningless and boring when there are no hidden surprises. There are only a few activities like opening math doors, finding fireflies, capturing flying books, reading lore pages. Once you've done them three times, they are tedious activities. The magic, the sense of wonder that is so integral to maintaining interest in the world, is destroyed. This game desperately needs more unique events. It makes matters worse that most of these repetitive activities exist both inside and outside Hogwarts.

3. Boring Loot

Loot should be exciting. How many reskinned goofy glasses or felt hats will people care about? Aesthretically, maybe 2 if the design is outstanding. When it comes to effect on gameplay, even on hard mode, loot can be ignored. All of the effects are simple armor or attack improvements. By the time runes or whatever they are called are unlocked, the game is mostly over. None of them have interesting effects that alter the way the game is played.

4. Wands

Why let me customize every aspect of my wand only for it not to show up in the actual game. I chose a 14 inch floppy wand for my dark wizard and it looks just like anyone else's rigid core six incher.

5. Combat

Lock on only works 50% of the time. The pan away cutscenes for big spells are disorienting. Three of of the spells do mostly the same thing--depulso, levioso, acio. The Dark Arts talent tree is a total waste for some players, and is minimally rewarding for those that decide to go down Dark Arts. Most of the talents are simple damage boosts. Inspiration for unique talents should be taken from Blizzard or tier 1 games with talents that alter play styles.

6. Inventory

Locking inventory slots through Merlin Challenges stands out as the worst gameplay decision of the game.

AJUMP23

You could make a London based game where you are an Orur (SP) (hunter of criminal wizards) and have open world London magic game.

Humdinger

Story - this is my biggest complain , the story is ubisoft level , its dull , i dont care about any of the characters if they live or die , no emotional connection , they really need to improve in the writing department

I'm disappointed to hear that. :(

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Better combat and open world gameplay!

Hogwarts was amazing, but the rest not so much.. Also, Hogwarts could have used more secret passages.

A better story. The "goblin rebellion" was really shallow and the "ancient magic" didn't work for me either..

More consequences to using evil spells.

In general, I hope the devs show more guts and less playing it safe.

Last edited:

Freeman76

One of the best games of recent years imo but i dont want a sequel. The main draw for me was Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, a sequel wouldnt be as magical.

What I would like is expansive dlc 'school years' that add Ministry of Magic and a few other locations, as well as gradually adding to Hogwarts to make it even more intricate.

That'll never happen but it would be cool

DarthPutin

- Aerial combat! I want wizards to chase after me on brooms and for us to shoot at each other. I don't even care if it doesn't control that well. Put in less of them (because the map was crawling with samey boring enemies) but make approaching them more dangerous.
Perhaps we could lose them by flying under the waterfall or by blowing up one of these floating baloons - they'll blow up leaving dark wizards confused.

- Aerial combat-2! I want to shoot at enemies from above - they in turn can have more dangerous magic to shoot back. To drop into fight, jump onto my broom and fly up to recharge than go back, Alloy style. I was already kind of doing that because the game would throw enemy at me with nice little animation even - and I just jumped on the broom and flew away. Or fly around enemy camps picking up loot from towers and such. Make it more dangerous to do. More options for approaching combat etc.

- Some of the animals that we saved should help us in combat. Not all of them, just dangerous ones.

- More choices, including choice to become dark wizard on the way to becoming new Voldemort. Perhaps we'd have to kill someone nice to achieve that. But I don't want dumb morality system where everything ends badly for you because you were a naughty boy. Doesn't work like that IRL and I don't like preaching. More bittersweet stuff.

- Make faces of NPCs less derpy and more varied.

- Create backstories and complicated relationships for professors and some students. Make them less vanilla. Some darker stories - I don't mean HBO's OZ darker (though I'd love it, heh) but more like Snape-darker. Like Sebastian stuff but for more people. You don't have to show all of that as it would take many resources, we could discover this stuff by snooping around, reading letters etc. Would make world more alive and characters more multidimensional.

It doesn't have to be all gloomy, maybe we discover that this pompous teacher is actually a loser (a-la Lockhart), this grumpy ones had some tragic backstory, this sugary sweet one is actually an asshole who has poisonous notes mocking stuff and students, including us...

(I mean I really loved that moment in Hollow Knight when we get ability to read everyone's thoughts and one friendly NPC we've been chatting with apparently considers eating us for dinner. )

- At least few interesting longer quests you can find randomly by travelling around. Now it feels like some department did outstanding jobs while others just B-. There are many beautiful areas and dungeons - but there is nothing to do there apart from finding a chest or two.

Last edited:

Larxia

It's what often happens with sequels.
I know HL is pretty barebones but it was actually refreshing how "simple" the game was. I really enjoyed that aspect
Not just sequels, open world games in general that try to copy the ubisoft formula.
I have a similar feeling, when games are completely bloated, I get tired of it just being seeing the amount of things to do, before I even get to them. It's much more enjoyable when you don't actually know what the game has to offer, and just discover things naturally when finding them during your exploration, without being guided by icons etc.

I haven't played hogwarts legacy yet, but it seems like it still has some of these issues, especially the "icons" everywhere thing. Having icons to show where everything is ruin the exploration to me, but also another problem is that on top of showing you where things are, it therefore tell you places where there isn't anything, and that's an issue, let the player discover this by themselves.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not just sequels, open world games in general that try to copy the ubisoft formula.
I have a similar feeling, when games are completely bloated, I get tired of it just being seeing the amount of things to do, before I even get to them. It's much more enjoyable when you don't actually know what the game has to offer, and just discover things naturally when finding them during your exploration, without being guided by icons etc.

I haven't played hogwarts legacy yet, but it seems like it still has some of these issues, especially the "icons" everywhere thing. Having icons to show where everything is ruin the exploration to me, but also another problem is that on top of showing you where things are, it therefore tell you places where there isn't anything, and that's an issue, let the player discover this by themselves.
It has some of the issues but I didn't feel the pressure or annoyance like in Forbidden West.
I was not sighing when coming across events/markers/enemies.
Thought if you want to do everything 100%, I can see how it gets tedious. I played it for 40 hours and I feel I could still do about 5-10hours easily

nowhat

I haven't played the game, because I really don't care about Harry Potter. Perhaps I'll pick it off a sale sometime.

But it would be fucking epic for a sequel to include a gay character. So we'd get like a reverse controversy.

Larxia

It has some of the issues but I didn't feel the pressure or annoyance like in Forbidden West.
I was not sighing when coming across events/markers/enemies.
Thought if you want to do everything 100%, I can see how it gets tedious. I played it for 40 hours and I feel I could still do about 5-10hours easily
I have a question since we seem to have the same issue the bloated content / pressure.
Did you like Horizon 1? I haven't played Forbidden west yet (waiting for PC) so I'm curious. I really liked the first one because I was actually pleasantly surprised by how light it felt, it definitely had an ubisoft structure, but it felt much better balanced, I never felt overwhelmed by too much content, there weren't tons of quests to do everywhere, it felt really well balanced to me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have a question since we seem to have the same issue the bloated content / pressure.
Did you like Horizon 1? I haven't played Forbidden west yet (waiting for PC) so I'm curious. I really liked the first one because I was actually pleasantly surprised by how light it felt, it definitely had an ubisoft structure, but it felt much better balanced, I never felt overwhelmed by too much content, there weren't tons of quests to do everywhere, it felt really well balanced to me.
I've finished Horizon 1 three times for some fucking reason since I always start loathing the game 75% in lol.
But generally yes - I do somehow like it. I do think it is bloated but Forbidden West is so much more bloated !

Top Bottom