• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter: Underestimate Donald Glover at Your Own Peril

yuoke

Banned
He's literally the only thing that could potentially make me want to see the han spinoff.
Still no billy dee though

Donald's taking over Hollywood. RIP Childish Gambino. Long live Glover.
He's literally the only thing that could potentially make me want to see the han spinoff.
Especially after all the shit with Phil Lord & Chris Millar. I honestly don't want to support this movie in theaters just because of how badly that was handled.

krazen

The interview says production begins in September. 2019 seems like a long ass time if they are starting in September. I'd expect summer or fall 2018.

Yeah, gonna be summer:fall. Production is already set in stone; a friend of mine is good friends with one of the producers and he invited her to be a background actress in October.

What an annoying puff piece. At my own peril? I like the guy but I don't think my house is going to burn down if I skip out on his records or the next Star Wars spinoff movie with him in it. Frankly I probably won't seek him out at all unless they reunite the original Community cast.

Lol think you're taking it a bit too seriously bro.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I dont think glover has been underrated for a while. This is coming from a long time fan of his when i would say he was underrated at every topic he came up in.

Dali

I dont think glover has been underrated for a while. This is coming from a long time fan of his when i would say he was underrated at every topic he came up in.
I underrated him until Atlanta. I like a handful of his songs but didn't follow community, but he was funny in the bits and pieces I've seen. Then I watched Atlanta. It was just pure genius. It's like the a modern Cosby show in a strange way. Then he had his new album which I'm not feeling at all, but the way that has blown up made me realize he's pretty much set at this point. He should be able to get the green light for whatever he wants to do.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Big fan of the guy, he's an inspiration to me. Can't wait for more Atlanta. The only downside of him getting so much work now is that the show will take longer to come out, but I can wait.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fixed.

And even that changes nothing.

It changes nothing that Marvel is thinking multiple films ahead?

Glover is a smart guy. Likely smarter than many here, given y'all can't see he's booking his relaxed blockbuster future in advance. Dude's got his future nest egg money fund locked.

Dereck

First gem I found

He hired an entirely black writing staff, many of whom had never made a frame of television before. Eschewing an office on a studio lot, he assembled them in his Hollywood Hills home, which he ran more as a salon than a traditional writers room. Narrative conventions were upended — intimate scenes lasted several minutes, and entire episodes existed without the series' star. The director, Hiro Murai, part of a creative team that hopscotches with Glover between mediums, was hired without any series experience, and the cast was filled out not by recognizable stars but rather undiscovered talent like Brian Tyree Henry (Paper Boi) and Zazie Beetz (Vanessa). Glover's goal was less to prove that his way was better than it was to prove that there was another way.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Been following Donald since the DC days and Community is one of my favorite things of all time so he's already a legend to me.

Ya know, I was late to the Donald Glover train. I never really watched Community. I wasn't a huge fan of his first two albums. But then last year hit, with the amazing double-whammy of Atlanta, one of my top 3 shows on the air now, and Awaken, My Love and I 180'd hard from "Eh, I don't really care about Donald Glover" to "Donald Glover is the most important artist of our time."

Ultima_5

Every girl who's been into his music has cheated on me.

I've enjoyed him in the things I've seen him in. Need to give community a shot

Dereck

Good interview but I found that whenever the writer said "Donald cryptically said or was mysterious", it was kind of annoying, like maybe Donald wasn't being cryptic the interviewer just wanted too many details to make it seem like Donald was being cryptic, don't know why that bugged me.

Mechazawa

He definitely made huge inroads with me. He went from being the corny dude in a sea of corny people from community that put out lame music to dropping the Atlanta/Awaken My Love one, two combo.

I fucking love this dude's art. He's like a created player in 2k with all his attributes turned up and A+ potential.

Sometimes I literally think about what he's going to do next and then it comes out that he's showrunner for FX's Deadpool cartoon. Glover is the man.

Donald Glover is the only reason I am excited for the Han movie. Truly inspired casting there.

I really hope Han Solo isn't going to be a mess due to the late director change.

If anything, Ron will save the film. It was guaranteed to be a ad-libbed mess before. Now, there's a chance it will work.

Who is underestimating @donglover? What the hell does that headline mean?

The guy went from a writer on 30 rock/SNL to a supporting actor on Community to a rapper with multiple hit records to the star and showrunner of his own TV show to one of the most beloved and iconic movie characters.

If anything the title should be don't be surprised if Don Glover fails at some point, because everything he has done so far has been hot fire.

Ivan 3414

Who is underestimating @donglover? What the hell does that headline mean?

The guy went from a writer on 30 rock/SNL to a supporting actor on Community to a rapper with multiple hit records to the star and showrunner of his own TV show to one of the most beloved and iconic movie characters.

If anything the title should be don't be surprised if Don Glover fails at some point, because everything he has done so far has been hot fire.

It's easy to say this now, but back when he was just that goofy dude on Community he got a ton of hate. He was considered "corny" with his previous Childish Gambino records and outside of his dedicated fanbase he wasn't exactly a respected figure in hip-hop. He's had a dramatic come-up within recent years though that is making people eat their words.

WTF really?

He said it was the last Childish Gambino album. Over the years he's talked about retiring the Gambino name though, so it's a possibility he might do music under a different banner.

KodaRuss

He may end up being a once in a generation type talent. He has a long way to go but damn if he isnt killing it already with Childish Gambino, Atlanta and the movies he is starting to get.

Davide

He was the best character on Community but it got really bad before he left. After Season 2.

I still haven't watched Season 5 or 6 though.

Top Bottom