• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland: Season 3 - |Pledge Allegiance|

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Just finished season three after marathoning it the last two days. Huge step up from season two, although I didn't hate season two as much as others seemed to. My only real issue is with the fact Carrie still has a job. Yes, she's been consistently right about things, but her behaviour is beyond insane and there is no way anyone with even an ounce of common sense would allow her to have any role in the CIA beyond being a consultant.

Just finished season three after marathoning it the last two days. Huge step up from season two, although I didn't hate season two as much as others seemed to. My only real issue is with the fact Carrie still has a job. Yes, she's been consistently right about things, but her behaviour is beyond insane and there is no way anyone with even an ounce of common sense would allow her to have any role in the CIA beyond being a consultant.
100% agreed.

amnesiac

And being promoted in Istanbul by the guy who told her that she was a disgrace to her country was pretty out there, too.

Looks like production for S4 is ramping up.

- Deadline: ‘Homeland’ Ups Nazanin Boniadi To Regular
After guesting on Showtime’s Homeland this season, Nazanin Boniadi has been upped to regular for Season 4 of the Emmy-winning terrorism drama. Boniadi plays Fara Sherazi, the strong-willed Muslim CIA analyst who Saul (Mandy Patinkin) recruited for her expertise in international banking. Like Carrie (Claire Danes), Fara shares a passion for justice and ends up enlisting her relatives in Tehran to help Carrie’s secret mission in the final episodes of Season 3. Season 4
finds Fara in a key role working for Carrie at the CIA.

Dany

Banned
Great, she was a great addition to the cast last year. I really am excited to see what season 4 of Homeland can offer. Its had its fair share of ups and downs but overall i'm glad that we are finally starting fresh.

- Deadline: ‘Homeland’ Season 4 To Film In South Africa, Will Be Set In Middle East
After three seasons in Charlotte, NC, Showtime drama Homeland is leaving the US to film its fourth season in Cape Town, South Africa. The end of Season 3 found Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) taking a job as a station chief in Istanbul. Showtime wouldn’t specify where exactly Mathison would be, saying that she is being “assigned to one of the most volatile and dangerous CIA stations in the Middle East where she is back on the front lines in the war on terror”. The series will begin production in mid-June and shoot through November of this year. “We’ve been so lucky to work with one of the best crews in the business for the last three seasons in Charlotte,” said Homeland showrunner and executive producer Alex Gansa. “We knew going into season four that we would need to move the production overseas to tell the story of Carrie returning to the Middle East as chief of station. We are thrilled to have found a new home in Cape Town and look forward to getting season four production off the ground.”

Here's more info from the press release:
LOS ANGELES, CA (April 4, 2014) – SHOWTIME and Fox 21 announced today that the Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award-winning drama series HOMELAND will begin production in Cape Town, South Africa. Season four will find Carrie Mathison (Emmy, SAG and Golden Globe Award winner Claire Danes) assigned to one of the most volatile and dangerous CIA stations in the Middle East where she is back on the front lines in the war on terror. The series will begin production in mid-June and shoot through November of this year. The network's No. 1 rated series with an average of seven million weekly viewers, HOMELAND's fourth season will premiere this fall on SHOWTIME.

“We've been so lucky to work with one of the best crews in the business for the last three seasons in Charlotte,” said Homeland showrunner and executive producer Alex Gansa. “We knew going into season four that we would need to move the production overseas to tell the story of Carrie returning to the Middle East as chief of station. We are thrilled to have found a new home in Cape Town and look forward to getting season four production off the ground.”

HOMELAND tells the story of Carrie Mathison (Danes), a bi-polar CIA officer who plays by her own rules. At the end of last season Carrie, pregnant with the late Brody's (Damian Lewis) baby, along with her mentor Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin), brought a significant and much-needed win for the agency and country at large. Along with Danes and Patinkin, Emmy nominee Rupert Friend will return for season four, along with Nazanin Boniadi, who was recently promoted to a series regular.
It'll be interesting to see how the cast shapes up in the new setting. I wonder how many of the peripheral characters are being trimmed down and who they'll get to replace them. This feels like a good move for the show.

Tugatrix

Somehow I don't think they understand what a "Station Chief" does, watch Carrie end up going out into the field as if she's Jack Bauer.

a chief of station is someone more like Saul, it's a decision maker and commands all the operatives on the region of the station

Averon

I don't understand how Carrie can still have a high clearance job in the CIA given her well known mental instability and repeated insubordination. She's proven on multiple occasions to be a massive liability and security risk.

Suspension of disbelief can only go so far for a show that takes itself so seriously.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't understand how Carrie can still have a high clearance job in the CIA given given her well known mental instability and repeated insubordination. She's proven on multiple occasions to be a massive liability and security risk.

Suspension of disbelief can only go so far for a show that takes itself so seriously.

She also cursed out the President's Chief of Staff and basically called him a coward in front of everyone. No consequences, yay!

I mean fuck, even 24 knew that Jack Bauer had to suffer consequences for his constant insubodination and it made for compelling drama and character buidling. Jack always struggled with protecting innocent lives and the reprecussions that flow from constantly breaking the rules. It's why he's such a mess mentally as a character, and it's great.

Sure, Jack go ahead and break into that Chinese Consulate, and guess what you were right the guy had all the information you needed to stop the attack. But, now it's time for you to spend two years in a secret Chinese prison where you will be tortured to no end with no hope of rescue. Action and Consequence.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't understand how Carrie can still have a high clearance job in the CIA given given her well known mental instability and repeated insubordination. She's proven on multiple occasions to be a massive liability and security risk.

I think even that's generous. She was verging on treasonous last season.

shooting through november? so im guessing it wont be the usual september premiere like the other seasons
Showtime has been moving a few things around recently. I assumed that this will start up in September, like usual, but perhaps that's not the case. They recently shifted Masters of Sex from late-September to mid-July for S2.

dLMN8R

And I hope they take their time. The hastened schedules of Dexter and Homeland are probably big contributors to their quality drops.

Casting news via Joe Adalian:
Corey Stoll from House of Cards and Laila Robins (Bored to Death) are joining HOMELAND next season.

Robins will play the
US Ambassador to Pakistan; she's a series regular.
Stoll will be
the CIA station chief in Pakistan; he's a guest star.

Nqjy8AV.jpg

- EW article

- EW: 'Life of Pi' star Suraj Sharma joins 'Homeland' for season 4
The career of Suraj Sharma just took an intriguing turn: The Life of Pi star has signed on to season four of Homeland, EW has learned. The New Dehli-raised actor, who can currently be seen on the big screen with Jon Hamm in Million Dollar Arm, will join the CIA thriller as
Aayan Ibrahim, a Pakistani medical student who crosses paths with Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes). The role is described as heavily recurring.

Production on season four commences later this month in South Africa, and this year’s story will be set in Islamabad and Kabul. Homeland will return to the air with new episodes this fall.

KrBx7nK.jpg

More casting news:

- THR: 'Homeland' Adds 'Smash' Star, 'Roseanne' Alum for Season 4
The latest to join the Fox 21-produced drama are Smash alum Raza Jaffrey and King & Maxwell actor Michael O'Keefe. The Hollywood Reporter has learned that both actors have locked down recurring parts in the CIA thriller, with Jaffrey set for a heavily recurring role. Their additions come just a week after Corey Stoll (The Strain, House of Cards) booked a guest gig and Laila Robins was made a series regular.
Jaffrey will play
Aasar Khan, a decorated lieutenant-colonel in the Pakistan intelligence service. (The setting for Homeland's fourth season is Abbottabad, Pakistan.)
As for O'Keefe, he'll play
deputy station chief John Redmond, stationed in the CIA's Pakistan outpost and serving as No. 2 to Stoll's character. He'll butt heads with Carrie (Claire Danes).

XrWMLB5.jpg

Dany

Banned
I'm really excited the changes and additions they're making this season. I hope this is the spy thriller that we all wanted it to be. :D

I'll watch, but I'm going to miss Brody. He was the reason I started watching the show in the first place. No more Dana is a plus, but they are probably going to replace it with some kind of baby drama for Carrie.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
She has given birth to the child and I’d rather not give away where the kid is, but I will say probably one of the reasons she’s found herself in Afghanistan and Pakistan is it’s a place where you’re disallowed from bringing a dependent.

Good.

So she doesn’t have like a child in one arm and a cell phone in the other working espionage?

Correct.

Good.

maharg

idspispopd
A lot of that interview seems good, but goddamn
they really think the important thing about the show is relationship drama. I am not even remotely interested in a show about Carrie+(anyone) Will They/Won't They drama.

mid83

So I finally marathoned Season 3. I loved Season 1 and while I didn't hate the 2nd season like most, it was disappointing enough to where I didn't bother keeping up with the show last fall. In hearing all the buzz lately for Season 4, I figured I'd give S3 a chance and I'm really happy I did.

It started off slow but it was servicable aside from the Dana stories. The final third of the season really took it to another level, and in my opinion, was the best we've seen from this show since Season 1.

The finale itself was great and like others mentioned, would have been an excellent series finale. It does leave me wondering where things go from here, but then again, I think this could be a good thing for the show long term.

Hopefully Season 4 is a reboot and they can focus on the aspects of the show that are the most compelling and well done, which in my opinion are when the focus is on actual espionage missions and the inner workings of the CIA.

It started off slow but it was servicable aside from the Dana stories. The final third of the season really took it to another level, and in my opinion, was the best we've seen from this show since Season 1.

Agree, the back half of Season 3 was really good- more than enough to make up for the Dana Chronicles, which was never more than a sub-plot anyway.

Saul and Quinn are definitely in, as well as Saul's friend... can't remember his name but he's been in it a lot.
Dahl, I think. Regarding Saul, though,
I thought he retired at the end of season 3. Why would he come back?

As for Quinn, I've always just considered him a less interesting version of Brody.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
TCA season 4 tidbits:

“I can guarantee that Dana Brody will not be back for Season 4”

Carrie Mathison’s bipolar illness has stabilized and in her new Middle Eastern setting will be on the tail of a new character, portrayed by Life Of Pi‘s non-CGI star Suraj Sharma, “someone whom she’s recruiting and trying to get his trust.”

The writers also said they are “very invested” in developing the character of Peter Quinn (Rupert Friend) as a Brody-like foil for Carrie.

They said that Saul (Mandy Patinkin) would be moving into the private sector in the contracting business. His move will have an “intelligence complication” since he will be involved in Middle East reconstruction after the U.S. withdrawal of troops.

Because he's the best character.
I agree, but I didn't see a reason to bring him back, until...

TCA season 4 tidbits:
They said that Saul (Mandy Patinkin) would be moving into the private sector in the contracting business. His move will have an “intelligence complication” since he will be involved in Middle East reconstruction after the U.S. withdrawal of troops.
I wonder if this means that
he could potentially be a bad guy! That would be crazy!

I don't want to see Carrie x Quinn. I don't care about any relationships in this show. Jesus Christ. Do the showrunners even know who watches their show ? This is not an NBC joint, god fucking damnit.

It kinda sucks that the Brodys will not be back, they deserved a better sendoff.

hahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom