• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honestly, what does Microsoft need to do with Scorpio to solidify your purchase?

Roxkis_ii

Microsoft doesn't have the first party games to pull me in with nor the diverse library to keep me there. Plus I like Japanese games. So I don't think there is anything Microsoft can do for me to make me want their console.

Zophar

They need an entirely new first party portfolio and Japanese support. Microsoft's flagship IPs are so tired that I feel almost no regret skipping them this generation. But I wonder if they have the confidence or the risk tolerance to ever do this.

At the same time, Sony and Steam have already gobbled up the entire Japanese mid-tier production industry, so it's like the PS2 days never left. In short, MS would have to do something drastic for me to feel like the comfort those platforms provide me is disrupted.

Yes but then youll be playing against mouse and keyboard people. If you like using a controller, this isnt an advantage for that person.

That's for if you're playing up against others. You can still use controllers, but yeah, you'll be at a disadvantage. But it still comes down to the fact that you can use M+KB and controller, you choice, plus the fact that you have access to an absolutely massive PC library elsewhere too. So it makes sense in terms of value when you have access to so much.

I preordered an XB1 the day they announced it, same as PS4. I could only justify buying one of them as we got within weeks of launch, cancelled the XB1 preorder, and haven't yet found a compelling reason to own an XBox when I already have a PS4. There just isn't enough to set them apart, and without any exclusives that excite me, I don't know what a more powerful version of a redundant console is going to do for me. So, yeah, it does come down to games.

Flavius

At least one or two big-budget, short-fun, couch-coop gameplay experiences...

Not gonna' lie -- give me a grade-A Fuzion Frenzy sequel, do one or two crazy-ass Japanese partnerships, and put more emphasis on casual, online experiences -- and I'll probably bite so long as the price is reasonable.

Otherwise, more and prettier of the same isn't enough to justify it. Halo and Gears are stale franchises. I was so hyped for Crackdown 3, but what we did see of it didn't really impress and it's been crickets for months. No more 3rd party exclusivity that matters. What else is there?

That Rare game looks pretty damn good, I guess.

PaulLFC

So they can do nothing.
If they adopt the Apple pricing model, then yes, but I can't see them doing that.

I thought the PS4 Pro was a decently priced upgrade, especially since I got it for £175 by trading my old PS4 in. So I'm holding out hope for a possible deal when trading in the launch console.

Exactly this. Definitely worth putting your money into upgrading your system over buying another Xbox, especially since all the Xbox exclusives are going to PC anyways.

you don't see what I see?

PS4 threads: I like simplicity of consoles, I don't want to update drivers, I don't want to change settings, I don't want bad ports, I like couch gaming, I don't want multiplayer cheaters, I prefer controllers don't want to play against mouse/keyboard users, consoles are cheaper, I like renting games and buy/sell used games. all my friends are on consoles, I use my PC for work not for games, PC multiplayer community is dead

Xbox threads: I have a gaming PC, no reason to own an xbox

PS4 threads: I like simplicity of consoles, I don't want to update drivers, I don't want to change settings, I don't want bad ports, I like couch gaming, I don't want multiplayer cheaters, I prefer controllers don't want to play against mouse/keyboard users, consoles are cheaper, I like renting games and buy/sell used games. all my friends are on consoles, I use my PC for work not for games, PC multiplayer community is dead

Yeah this needs to be repeated literally every time theres a Scorpio thread.

Banned
Promise me new exclusives that aren't rushed (ReCore) or cancelled in three years (Scalebound, Fable Legends, Phantom Dust) and aren't the Big Three Halo/Forza/Gears).

Give me more single player narrative focused games. Like a Zelda clone. Or Uncharted clone. Maybe an exclusive rpg?

Money hat some JRPG's if you have too so you can establish a western audience there.

pablito

They'd have to stop putting their games on Windows, and get a bunch of exclusives that interest me.

I don't really want them to do that, though. I'm all for awesome Microsoft exclusives, but keep them coming on the PC, please.

There's almost nothing about the hardware itself that could get me to justify having a third home console in my rotation. Everyone I know has a PS4, and I have an insurmountably big digital library for it. Software-wise, Microsoft doesn't have anything strong enough to spread myself so thin.

No idea. I can play the scant exclusives I want to play on PC.

An epic, diverse, risk-taking catalog of exclusives, native 4K, at $250 would probably do it.

joecanada

yes in a world where ps4 didn't exist. it does. many people won't buy 2 consoles especially if they have a pc for the few MS games they want. and those people are probably also playing online mp games on ps4.

what I'm seeing in here is a lot of talk about first party games.

I think I posted in here already, but I've had some more time to think. Honestly, I think the only thing that could keep me from buying Scorpio would be the price. If they somehow went insane and decided to release a $500-$600 machine, I'd have to sit things out for a bit.

If it's $400-$450 I'm all in. I skipped the PS4 Pro because Xbox One is my "primary" console. I currently move my One S between the living room and the bedroom depending on where I have the most time to play stuff. Having Scorpio hooked up to the big TV and the One S in the bedroom will make things much easier!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Has to make Halo 6 look amazing.

Halo 5 is one of the biggest dissapoinments in gaming to me, and the graphics were one of my big problems with it.

If Scorpio can make Halo 6 look like a proper current gen game. I'll be happy.

Yazzees

Nothing I could realistically expect them to do.

If Scorpio ran unpatched XBO games at 4k/60fps, had near-perfect unpatched backwards compatibility, had a ton of new and interesting first-party IPs, and suddenly had PS4-levels of japanese support, then I'd consider it.

That's obviously a ridiculous list and I wouldn't expect them to deliver on even one of those.

mnannola

As long as they keep supporting PC with first party games, then nothing.

If they allowed Windows and Steam to be installed, I might replace my living room PC, but until then, to me it's just a PC that can't play most PC games.

I already own a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch. I have hardly enough time to play all the games I want to play. I can't think of a single realistic development that would make me want to buy a third console.

-NeoTB1-

Games. Exclusives, to be more precise (already own a PS4 Pro). There isn't a single "system seller" exclusive game on the Xbox One IMO. IF they can fix that, I'll take a look.

MazeHaze

Banned
I don't think there is anything they could do unless they start releasing killer exclusives that are unavailable on PC. Right now they release all their stuff on PC, but I don't play any of it. I play a lot of ps4 exclusives though. Forza, Halo and Gears just seem boring to me. Sunset Overdrive is something I would play, but I'm not buying a console for that.

Plasma

Banned
Aside from more games I'd like to see them add scorpio support to all of their already released first party games and more improvements to 360 backwards compatibility.

PooBone

Hey guys,

Time and time again I see the constant theme with Scorpio is that most people are in the wait and see mindset and are genuinely excited to see what exactly it is. I am curious as to what people are really waiting for. I get it, most people will say games and rightfully so but even that seems like a poor excuse.

In terms of games, what would push you over the edge and make you a day one adopter? Even if Microsoft has a killer E3 with new IP's announced are you willing to risk buying a console and said IP's day one without any previous history of these new titles? And, is it realistic to think that Microsoft will sell their new console to the masses using unproven software that may not market that well?

in terms of hardware, we know it will be more powerful that is a given, and so is more than likely a premium price tag. With the associated cost what are we really gaining? we can watch 4K movies with the One S currently so they cant really tout that feature as "new". I feel they should have left 4K for Scorpio as many people would purchase for that reason alone.

For me? I need Microsoft to take a gamble. I need them to have a too good to be true reveal with the system to make me a buyer. I want them to swallow the cost of the system big time, have this thing release at a price point that makes it a no brainier purchase, even if the software is lacking. They need to move hardware and have people excited for the system again and yes games are a huge part of it but I expect to see 80% standard tried and true xbox exclusives and 20% new IP. This is why the hardware needs to be the main appeal.

4k without sacrifice (the PS4 Pro is not what it should be, 4k comes at a loss of framerate) and full X360 backwards compatibility via hardware instead of software. (which Phil Spencer previously promised).

If they do those things, I'll have one by Christmas.

UrbanRats

Nothing really.
I have a gaming PC, a ps4 and will have to get a Switch some years down the line.

MS has no interesting exclusives, and doesn't seem all that interested in building a good roster of first party developers or IPs, that paired with the ball dropping of the 360 in its second half, doesn't fill me with confidence.
Besides, having a PC means I'll get all the exclusives anyway.

There is really no point in getting a Scorpio, for me.

The XBone S could at least work as a cheap UHD player, but I don't have a 4k TV yet, so...

00ich

I see the console wars argument, but Microsoft is working hard to make this statement factually correct. That's why you hear that part so often.
Edit: Assuming you already own a PS4.

RdN

Not much, really.

The Xbox One already is my main console this gen (the one I use for every multiplat/multiplayer game), just because of Xbox Live and the superior controller.

Having a new one, with better graphics and more stable framerate is all I need.

Halo 6

Sunset Overdrive 2

Banjo Kazoo 3

Perfect Dark

The last two are putting a lot of faith in MS and Rare to be able to make them. Sunset is completely up to Insomniac Games since they own the IP and Halo 6 is basically a given until the end of time.

UrbanRats

Sony is working harder at having a solid exclusive line up, simple as that.

dottme

I have a PS4 pro and a switch.

What might convince me:
-> some good exclusive in which I'm interested. There is maybe 2~3 games for the moment I want to try. But Scalebound in which I was interested was cancelled.
-> multi platform game run much better one Scorpio. I have a big library on PS4, so the difference of power need to be significant. Much more than between XBox one and PS4.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Xbox One was my introduction to this generation. I bought the Sunset Overdrive special console and that game made me excited for the future.

Now I'm not.

Since I bought the console I've also built a mammoth PC (SLI 1070s. Total brag.) I bought a PS4 for $100 in November and DAMN was that good timing.

Xbox as a platform is fighting against a few stigma. It needs to distinguish itself as a superior console to the PS4 or hell even just a good alternative. Too often are multiplats outperforming it. It also needs to become something that isn't just for American causal gamers because that's the market at this juncture.

I wanted the magic that the 360 Arcade had. I want to know that if I have five bucks to spend then there are some killer indies available on the platform. There are on Steam. But the current Xbox One lineup has nothing that interests me.

Halo 5 multiplayer was phenomenal. That and Sunset Overdrive are the only things that have made me happy with the big ugly box.

To reiterate so many people: where are the fucking games?

Gitaroo

except what SolidSnakeUS said does apply to me and I am sure a lot of people here too, so is your summary for xbox threads. Lack of exclusive on the system makes it pointless. I buy everything on pc when a pc version is available, still good to have a ps4 and switch because there are guaranteed exclusive games.

0racle

This thread had me reflect more and more as to what I personally would want to see in the new console;

-Xbox elite controller included
-An insane boost mode to previous xbox 360 and xbox one titles, something like 4k for 360 games and Xbox one games, and numerous 1080p features such as locked 60 fps and frame rate
-change their policy on Scorpio exclusives. I am in the PC camp here so I do not have a need for the system to compliment my PS4 and switch. If they 100% utilize the hardware and give me games I can 100% ONLY play on a Scorpio to me, that is a selling feature.
-A price point that makes it a no brainier purchase. I want this to be powerful and priced so well that everyone wants it day one. I want this thing to come out and be huge, not a tame release like the PS4 pro. Make me excited for the XBOX brand again.

Dante

Offer up some new IP that are fresh and unique. If they go the Forza, Gears, Halo route with this one I'll skip it like I skipped the Xbox One.

dreamfall

Honestly, the best version of Red Dead Redemption 2 to hold me down until it releases for PC. I'd also like to see some good console exclusives that don't involve Forza, Gears and Halo.

Bizzquik

An insistence that developers have a mode that targets 60fps (regardless of resolution), as an alternative to go along with Microsoft's drive for everything 4K (native or no).

I have a 4K television, but anything that opts for higher resolution rather than the fluidity of a 60fps frame rate is missing the point of an improved GPU, in my opinion.

Gaz_RB

I don't know. Exclusives? Something truly innovative that I haven't even thought of? But if they're all coming to PC there is absolutely no reason to pick up a Scorpio.

Honestly if I could get PS4 exclusives on PC I'd probably feel the same way about the PS4.

I feel MS needs to do something bold, and really set Sony and Nintendo back on their heels. Exclusive games will help but there's also the matter of service. I know this is a crazy wish, but I'd like to see them drop online charges and allow for free online multiplayer.

Jhriad

I already own a PS4 and a gaming PC so why would I invest in another platform unless it is extremely price competitive (like, $299-349 for the Scorpio) and has a bevy of attractive titles that are actually exclusive to the platform. If it's on PC I'll just buy it there instead of buying another bit of hardware to clutter up my entertainment center. Brief exclusivity periods on DLC don't work either as I'm more likely to wait it out on another platform or wait for the complete version than but into a new ecosystem.

Realistically, unless they show a good number of exclusive new IP or fresh takes on old IP, I'm unlikely to ever jump in. Haven't given a crap about Halo, Gears, Forza, or Crackdown in years and the last platform exclusive they published that I found relatively interesting was Sunset Overdrive.

Honestly the only reason I'd get one at this point is if it had exclusives. My current PC is more powerful than the Scorpio likely will be, it's going to get it's games, and I already have an Xbox One so there's really no reason for me to get one. They are fully aware that that's going to be the case for a lot of people though.

I'm not really interested in owning another console but I would like something that bridges the PC market that has the convenience and accessibility of console. I would like to be able to access steam, gog and origin as well as the xbox store, basically a games focused Windows 10 OS. Backwards compatible with the Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One as well as the huge amount of games that are currently available on Windows. Also the ability to use a variety of controllers, keyboards, mice, VR headsets, etc alongside the official merchandise. Do what Windows did for the PC market with consoles and what only Microsoft could really do.

jayvo

Not much, really.

The Xbox One already is my main console this gen (the one I use for every multiplat/multiplayer game), just because of Xbox Live and the superior controller.

Having a new one, with better graphics and more stable framerate is all I need.

Pretty much!

Top Bottom