• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honestly, what does Microsoft need to do with Scorpio to solidify your purchase?

Cartho

I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check, some people seem to be getting a little too excited. It reminds me of the Switch build up, where people were genuinely saying it was going to be literally Xbox One power levels in a tablet form factor for £199.

The meltdowns when the price / specs were unveiled we're kind of silly - a result of expectations which were simply ludicrously over the top. I'm therefore keeping myself reigned in until I see details of specs and price. If it's more than £450 I'm out. I'd just save more and buy a PC if I was going to spend that amount.

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
They would need a Last of Us tier game for me to even consider buying one of their consoles. Microsoft has lost me this generation and I have no desire to join their ecosystem and even if they did come out with a game I wanted to play like I mentioned above it would be a better investment for me to get a gaming PC and just play it there.

I'm really happy with the XB1S, so TBH I really don't see myself upgrading to the Scorpio regardless of what MS do. I already have a strong PC and the S is good enough.

etrain911

In order to avoid parroting all of the "exclusives" arguments laid out in the thread, I'll state what kind of exclusives I'd appreciate.

Something kid-friendly. They have Rare at their disposal and while the Pirates game looks fun, it is also gonna be on my much-easier to play an MMO on PC. I think if they got a proper sequel to Banjo Kazooie or even Nuts and Bolts or Viva Pinata, it would be a lot more attractive to me. I want something more colorful and fun without the swearing or the violence of Sunset Overdrive.

I want to see their 1st party studios given more freedom. I hate that their is a Coalition and a 343i and prior to that a Lion's Head. Let them do cool new things like Sony's or Microsoft's studios get to do (Gravity Rush 2, TLOU, Flower, Journey, Luigi's Mansion 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, etc.). The ability to try new concepts and fail is really important, and their habit of closing down studios has left them with a dearth of talent.

I recognize and enjoy that they do have a few new IP in the works and some sequels to some franchises that have been shelved for long enough to feel fresh and exciting, to their credit.

From a non-games perspective, I want Scorpio to have a price-point that makes it cheaper than a new graphics card of a similar caliber. I have a PC with a 770, and if whatever Scorpio launches at is cheaper than a card of the same cloth, I may bite. I don't really care about Zen.

Papacheeks

Banned
I feel MS needs to do something bold, and really set Sony and Nintendo back on their heels. Exclusive games will help but there's also the matter of service. I know this is a crazy wish, but I'd like to see them drop online charges and allow for free online multiplayer.

That will never happen as their investment in Azure, and dedicated server's that do more than transfer traffic are a reason they charge what they charge. Sony didn't charge anything in the beginning because their server's were shit and still using Apache server's which are really outdated in terms of security layers.

PSN server's still are not as sophisticated as Azure server's.

BNGames

Microsoft already did the direct opposite. They are putting the games on Windows 10 where I can use proper hardware.

No Halo on PC? That's no problem, it hasn't been good since ODST.

Price, lots of exclusives, and it needs to feel like a different type of product, in the way that I see my Switch and PS4 as 2 different types of gaming hardware.
I want Xbox to "do their own thing" in the same way Nintendo does.

The only reason I don't buy an Xbox One now is because it'll basically just be a slightly different PS4 (with different OS, services and a few exclusives).

If it were some kind of Steambox type thing ( a TV-oriented gaming PC, running Windows 10), maybe that'd be cool.
Or even some other idea I haven't thought of. It'd be so awesome if all 3 big console makers were doing very different things.

However, I fear that it'll basically just be a more powerful PS4, and my PS4 if already good enough for me. I don't need another.

Sillverrr

Needs a broader base of exclusive games that I care about. I appreciate that Gears/Halo still have their audiences, but seriously - let's have something new.

As it stands, this thing could be as powerful as you like, but I've realised I don't care enough about Microsoft's CURRENT stable to upgrade past the Xbox One.

Mihos

Gold Member
Honestly, short of sending out a code that bricks my current one, I rather just not bother with it. I don't see anything on the system announced I am going to get anyway. I have like 5 different ways to play PC games already.

To all the people (like myself) who answered with something along the lines of more/diverse lineup of games...
y54634523534m7o98.jpg

Masagiwa

Create better relationships with third party studios, and make them excited to develop for a very powerful new console. Phil Spencer has recently been to japan so that is always a good sign, cause they really need some good JRPG's. Remember Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon ?

Ushay

Create better relationships with third party studios, and make them excited to develop for a very powerful new console. Phil Spencer has recently been to japan so that is always a good sign, cause they really need some good JRPG's. Remember Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon ?

Lost Odyssey is amazing, I'm only just playing it now via backwards compatibility. Would be great to get a modern sequel to this game. I think MS biggest barrier to greenlighting this is demand.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just some good exclusives is all...

I'm not going to be buying anything that is also coming out on PC.

Like 1000 people have already said, it's the games!

Playing BOTW on switch has been eye opening to me. That a game can be this damn good with relatively weak HW behind it.

People will say it is a chicken and egg problem. But I am not convinced. MS is throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at new HW again. Imagine if they had invested that in games instead.

But new games require putting a lot of faith in people with creativity and imagination. New HW you just throw a bulletpoint list at some project managers, and you will get back something back with specs...

Games.

Microsoft need to release their own zeldaish like game (Kameo) and a bunch of other games like Viva Pinata to get me on board. Recore is a step in the right direction but needs to be a better game overall

orochi91

I'm not sure anymore.

PS4/PC (and probably the NSW someday) have got all my needs covered.

I've got a robust PC, and I have no major qualms with using the W10 Store, so it would make sense for me to simply purchase Xbox exclusives from there.

An Xbox console seems redundant for someone in my situation.

Vidal

Games EXCLUSIVE to Xbox would make me think about getting Scorpio. Anything Xbox/Windows10, I would go for Windows.

EvB

Like 1000 people have already said, it's the games!

Funny that in the run up to Current gen launch, it was all about the power and being the best place for multi platform games. Now the New Xbox is almost here and is going to be exactly that , for some reason it's all shifted to the exact opposite 🤔

The Halo, Gears, Forza combo was already getting old on 360.

They need a must have exclusive.
Yeah. I hope the Scorpio reveal comes with more than just a Crackdown date. They need some interesting first party stuff

Their recent E3's have been mainly focusing on games that will come out that year, so I'm hoping they have some cool stuff that's being worked on that we just don't know about. That's a lot of hope to place on a company though

I'll still buy Halo/Gears/Forza, but they just don't inspire excitement anymore

Funny that in the run up to Current gen launch, it was all about the power and being the best place for multi platform games. Now the New Xbox is almost here and is going to be exactly that , for some reason it's all shifted to the exact opposite 🤔
I don't think it's unreasonable to have different expectations now that we're so far in to this gen. People who already chose PS4 for third party probably won't be swayed if this runs slightly better. Scorpio needs first and second party

Obviously games. I just don't see how Microsoft releasing everything on Windows helps the Xbox platform at all. Needs exclusives, need to be good

EvB

Obviously games. I just don't see how Microsoft releasing everything on Windows helps the Xbox platform at all. Needs exclusives, need to be good

How is restricting software sales good for Microsoft? What kind of douche says thinks I'm not buying that game at all because it's on PC too?

There has been a good resurgence of PC gaming. And it is a great alternative for people who care a lot about image IQ, and frame rate etc. And people who care about playing multi plats on the best graphical quality settings will play on PC.

But for everyone else, there is the "This is good enough" factor. This is observable fact that PC games do look really nice, but not better by enough for people to care; And not just main-stream but core-gamers to care. For the tens of millions of people buying PS4, "this is good enough". The millions buying Switch "this is good enough". And for Scorpio to success it HAS to capture the "This is good enough" people.

6TF is not enough to dominate the "best place to play X" mind share. 6TF is mid range by PC standards, and by next year will be last gen. They will never have the high end market. Chasing people who demand the absolute performing hardware is a fools errand if you are up against PC.

They need to understand that they still in the battle for the "This is good enough" market. And for that you need GAMES!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Price is my main factor. I haven't bought an XBO yet and would love to just grab a Scorpio.

But of course, they also need to show me some new games that I am interested in.

Cilla

Nothing unless they pull awesome exclusives out of their arse. I have an XBO and I have never even used it. Even before that the 360 was just in my bedroom so I could watch things in bed.

I don't even dislike them as consoles. They just never release games that I can't get on other consoles.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Exclusive games which isn't gonna happen since they will be playable on XB1 or PC too. If they are exclusive to Xbox then I'll just get an XB1 for way cheaper. If the game is also on Windows 10 then I'll just play on my PC that I built in June and is way more powerful than Scorpio.

I really like Play Anywhere, and will buy a Scorpio day one even though I have a great gaming PC.

Play Anywhere is a bold move, that's very consumer friendly - they shouldn't be punished for doing it. I am happy to support it.

And as Japanese games tend not to be my thing the games suit me better too.

Games with Gold is great value, 360 BC is awesome and I'm intrigued by Game Pass. Microsoft are doing surprising and good things in these areas and I expect them to come back strong on the games lineup. Great time to be a gamer.

Warablo

I guess eventually mind blowing exclusives Scorpio games that aren't held back from the original Xbox One.

I agree that is what was said but I personally never bought into that exclusives don't sell hardware bs.

Power is always going to be important to lots of people though. I like that xbox is going to be the more powerful hardware from fall on as it might even out the market a bit(even though I won't buy one until Microsoft releases a few games I want).

Lorcain

I know this will never happen, but if Scorpio could play XBO titles and run Steam I would strongly consider buying it. MS already opened up the Xbox ecosystem to PC, why not the other way around with Scorpio as a Steam box?

00ich

Funny that in the run up to Current gen launch, it was all about the power and being the best place for multi platform games
That was under the assumption that the exclusive game lineup would eventually even out and third party output is a lot more exciting the first time on a new platform.
Also with Zelda, Nier and Horizon currently around it might be a bad time to ask.

Purest 78

Not at all MS offered a Weaker console that Cost $100 more. Unless you were a Halo,Forza,Gears fan Ps4 was the easy choice for many. Price will always be the main factor with the mass Market. $250 to $300 ps4 and X1 will dominate Scorpio this holiday.

Price sets peoples expectations people are fine with paying less for the weaker product. Paying more for less will never work out great.

First and foremost give me some games that I loved the previous xboxes:

1) panzer dragoon whatever the fuck it was called... aorta?

2) crimson titfucking skies reborn

3) indigo prophecy sequel

4) new commandos game

5) new online mech assault game

6) burnout 3: takedown remastered

7) Syberia 2

Theres surely dozens more of brilliant games that have been developed for Xbox platforms in the past. It's not like we need another Halo or Gears iteration to bring the console back to relevancy. All Microsoft needs is to look back to when it developed and supported innovative and fun spunky little games.

I already have a PS4 Pro, and my PC gaming days are behind me.

I have a few concerns about MS consoles:
  • Their first party games tend not to interest me that much.
  • They tend to abandon their platforms towards the end of the generation.

With the points above taken into account, here are some things that might convince me to get a Scorpio:
  • It offers high quality UHD Blu-ray playback.
  • It offers a big enough power boost over the Pro that I can be confident that multiplatform titles will look substantially better on the Scorpio, even if devs phone it in (as I suspect they might given what we've seen with the Pro).
  • The price isn't ridiculous.
  • Microsoft convince me that the Scorpio is here to stay, and they will continue supporting it.

Of these, the first one might be what sways me the most. The last is the one that probably concerns me the most. I worry that as soon as Sony starts readying the PS5 (which can't be too far away), MS will throw Scorpio users under the bus and put everything into the Xbox -358, or whatever the next one is called.

CLEEK

To all the people (like myself) who answered with something along the lines of more/diverse lineup of games...
y54634523534m7o98.jpg

This has been the single biggest issue with Xbox since the last couple of years of the 360's life, and has absolutely been the case for the XB1.

MS has settled into focusing all of their efforts in a tiny handful of major first party IPs, then trying to land a marketing deal for a major AAA third party for Q4. All US-centric, with little to no effort on making the platform appealing to international gamers or gamers who like a variety of games.

The strategy works up to a point, but the diversity of the line up for the XB1 is woeful. It's at the point where the PS4 has had more diverse, interesting, critically acclaimed first and third party games in Q1 2017 than the XB1 will have all year. PS4 has hit incredible form in the past few months, while the XB1 is undergoing a massive games drought, with little on the immediate horizon.

IF MS continue down the path of focusing entirely on Halo / Gears / Forza / AAA multiplatform, they'll only be preaching to the converted, and Scorpio will only appeal to existing Xbox owners.

The problem is that Halo, Fable, and Gears are no longer big system sellers for the XBOX. Parity between the ps4 and xone is so close now I dont believe the Scorpio is going to generate huge sales for them. The jump from the PS4 PRO to the Scorpio isnt going to be massive.

Sonys first party has got better over time while MSFTs faded away.

The worst part about all this is that developers have to develop for ps4 , ps4 pro , xone, switch (if they care) , and scorpio... This half gen upgrade that is happening is going to screw devs and also make some lazy.

CLEEK

The jump from the PS4 PRO to the Scorpio isnt going to be massive.

Scorpio will have the exact same limitations as PS4 Pro, in that its games will never be a generational jump or be able to really make the most of the hardware. Games will always be designed for the base console, with the Scorpio/Pro versions upping the quality/effect sliders. It's not like they will have better animation, better AI, bigger worlds, more enemies on-screen etc, all things that come from a genuine new generation.

I like my Pro, but it offers the exact same the experience as a standard PS4. Just a prettier one.

Top Bottom